Statement from University of Minnesota Athletics

GopherLady

Reaction score
As was shared prior to Sunday's game at Illinois, three members of the University of Minnesota men's basketball program were disciplined for violating team rules and withheld from participating in the game.

Information related to individual student discipline is private educational data, and as a result we cannot share any additional information at this time.

Well that clears that up! :confused:

Agreed.

The "at this time" legalese stands out. Perhaps hints at there being plenty of information and legal stuff still TBD? Guess would be the suspensions won't be just one game.

Actual statement, "There is a video involved, however the former AD is still reviewing it and may be for some time."

Agreed.

The "at this time" legalese stands out. Perhaps hints at there being plenty of information and legal stuff still TBD? Guess would be the suspensions won't be just one game.
Doesn't really hint at anything other than they couldn't and wouldn't feed the media. Plenty of information? What did you expect names and a play by play?

Agreed.

Off of a statement like this- my guess is that they all get one game. My assumption is that they will continue to investigate, but unless someone steps forward and complains they were not a willing participant- they all play again as soon as Wednesday.

Off of a statement like this- my guess is that they all get one game. My assumption is that they will continue to investigate, but unless someone steps forward and complains they were not a willing participant- they all play again as soon as Wednesday.

Man, I just will be really surprised if that's the case.

Doesn't really hint at anything other than they couldn't and wouldn't feed the media. Plenty of information? What did you expect names and a play by play?

That's basically what happened in the Teague case.

Also seems like they would have made reference to police if they were involved, and if there were anything immediate suggesting it is a police issue they would have handed over by now.

Not nearly as confident as you that they will be playing on Wednesday night. Wheels of justice and investigation roll very slowly, in general for good reason. I suspect that there will need to be a reason given and accepted to play them rather than the other way around. It may not be fair, but that's the way the system in the bureaucracy works.

This YouTube video provides more details about the incident than we'll probably ever hear from the University...

No, I did not expect a play by play. I suspect if the U felt they had all the information they would have given a definitive & final punishment for the players. As it is now the final punishment is still just kinda' hangin' out there, with no conclusion "at this time".

Also seems like they would have made reference to police if they were involved, and if there were anything immediate suggesting it is a police issue they would have handed over by now.

Not nearly as confident as you that they will be playing on Wednesday night. Wheels of justice and investigation roll very slowly, in general for good reason. I suspect that there will need to be a reason given and accepted to play them rather than the other way around. It may not be fair, but that's the way the system in the bureaucracy works.

Are they even at practice today?

They will release the info shortly after they hire an AD. So it should be sometime in the next couple years.

I would say that I am hopeful - rather than confident. :) Hopeful, meaning not that they don't get what they deserve, but rather hopeful that there was nothing illegal that happened (however disgusting the whole thing is).

Also, this is our third day discussing. Gosh, I have to believe it only came to Pitino's attention yesterday after they had boarded the plane and left for Illinois. No way he let's them get on the plane otherwise.....is there?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) makes it illegal for the University to comment any further. The University may bring harsh discipline on these students or they may say a one game suspension is enough. What is now clear is that this matter has gone to a higher level than the basketball team or the AD's office. Data will be kept private and nothing will be offered to the public unless the students are expelled. If that happens, the University can only tell us that the students are no longer attending. They cannot, by federal law, say anything beyond this.
Until we see the kids on the court, we will not know the outcome of the investigation. Suffice it to say that the sh!t may be hitting the fan...or nothing more is going to happen.

You pick which outcome is next.

I will add that I hope the University scares the sh!t out of these three and dangles the very real possibility of their expulsion. This might put the fear of god into them and let them know how serious this matter is.
I also hope that they ultimately relent and extend a hand of grace. We will see, however.

Well if it doesn't get out exactly what happened and no laws were broken I doubt that the players get anything more than suspension for using twitter during the season. If it gets out and filters around then the players will get in trouble for making the university look bad and they will get more punishment than whatever Pitino decides they should get for being stupid.

I will add that I hope the University scares the sh!t out of these three and dangles the very real possibility of their expulsion. This might put the fear of god into them and let them know how serious this matter is.
I also hope that they ultimately relent and extend a hand of grace. We will see, however.

No idea what the end goal is for the staff, but all three of these guys will have high major programs ready to welcome them to their program. If the end game includes being OK losing one or more of these guys, then that strategy works. If they don't want to lose any of those three, then that strategy can backfire big time.

Go Gophers!!

I think this one will go away

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

problem is they wont want to make it public until a newspaper or media source (Outside of deadspin citing us) runs with something. They don't see the point in giving themselves really bad publicity even if the kids are getting punished for it behind the curtain of breaking team rules.

problem is they wont want to make it public until a newspaper or media source (Outside of deadspin citing us) runs with something.

New York Post is on it now. As is Fox9. Common and Rosie just addressed it a little.

That's basically what happened in the Teague case.

Yeah. That was bizarre. In this case, what did folks expect, a link to the video in the press release?

Unless this becomes a police matter, I would expect this to be the last the U says about it, whether the suspensions are longer or not.

Top Bottom