Statement from Mark Coyle

Iceland12

Reaction score
Via Doogie on Twitter:

" Now that our football team has completed it's season following an exciting win in Tuesday Night's Holiday Bowl, Coach Claeys and I will take this opportunity to reflect on this past season before sitting down together to about about the future and my expectations for our football program."

Paraphrasing...

"So before he and I talk, and I decide to keep him or fire him, I'm going to take some time to reflect and buy some time until I can make a move that will receive the least amount of criticism when I make it. This will also help prevent us from having severe recruiting damage by having in program in-flux for the least amount of time."

"In other words, if I would extend him, I would do it now. But since the coach I want to hire is coaching a bowl game, I have to wait a couple days before I break the bad news to Claeys. After all, if I were to extend him, I could have done it weeks ago, or even today. It's not like Kaler and I haven't been talking about this."

Or...

"If we would have lost badly last night, I would have already fired him, I'm just letting people come down from the high for a minute before I make the change and this non-commital of a statement should kind of tell you what's happening if you are into reading tea leaves or the writing on the wall... or reading between the lines... you know, that sort of thing. After all, I'm Mark Coyle, and I'm a highly trained professional and managing these sorts of situations... ...so just trust me."

Sounds like the meeting our HS AD had with the softball coach where they talked about conditions and expectations about how things were going to be done from now on. The coach didn't want to continue under those conditions, so he retired.

Sounds like the meeting our HS AD had with the softball coach where they talked about conditions and expectations about how things were going to be done from now on. The coach didn't want to continue under those conditions, so he retired.

Yeah, like. Here, we want you back, but no recruiting visits. No recruits on campus, etc. Type of criteria that would kill his chances of winning.
"these things happened when you were coach, so we need to lock it down so it doesn't happen again and a pattern develops"

Where with a new coach, they can start off fresh, say the same things, but if the mistake happens, it's not Coyle losing his job or Kaler.

This OBVIOUSLY means he is going to contract the football program and change our name to the Fighting Badgerhawks. After all, we are talking about the super-duper boogieman Mark Coyle, the cause of all our problems and inventor of the Ebola virus. :rolleyes:

Yeah, like. Here, we want you back, but no recruiting visits. No recruits on campus, etc. Type of criteria that would kill his chances of winning.
"these things happened when you were coach, so we need to lock it down so it doesn't happen again and a pattern develops"

Where with a new coach, they can start off fresh, say the same things, but if the mistake happens, it's not Coyle losing his job or Kaler.

Um, like, huh?

Guess no decision will be made until he can talk to PJ Fleck after his bowl game...

Paraphrasing...

"So before he and I talk, and I decide to keep him or fire him, I'm going to take some time to reflect and buy some time until I can make a move that will receive the least amount of criticism when I make it. This will also help prevent us from having severe recruiting damage by having in program in-flux for the least amount of time."

"In other words, if I would extend him, I would do it now. But since the coach I want to hire is coaching a bowl game, I have to wait a couple days before I break the bad news to Claeys. After all, if I were to extend him, I could have done it weeks ago, or even today. It's not like Kaler and I haven't been talking about this."

Or...

"If we would have lost badly last night, I would have already fired him, I'm just letting people come down from the high for a minute before I make the change and this non-commital of a statement should kind of tell you what's happening if you are into reading tea leaves or the writing on the wall... or reading between the lines... you know, that sort of thing. After all, I'm Mark Coyle, and I'm a highly trained professional and managing these sorts of situations... ...so just trust me."

Complain about the deafening silence, then complain about a statement made.

If you are into predictions, I predict a modest extension with a line drawn in the sand regarding off the field player issues.

I also predict that the many upstanding team members will do a good job of policing their teammates from here forward.

If you are into predictions, I predict a modest extension with a line drawn in the sand regarding off the field player issues.

I also predict that the many upstanding team members will do a good job of policing their teammates from here forward.
I'm with this guy. He makes sense. The rest of this thread is either really inside baseball or non- sequiturs.

That statement doesn't exactly gush with support. Either legitimately extend Claeys or let him go ASAP. Dragging it out, putting restrictions on him, or a weak vote of confidence so you can lessen the total buyout of the staff will be really frustrating--especially if it's followed by a search committee.

I know it's only one game but this win has got to get some of the fans back on board. Hopefully, it would lessen recruits backing out and even keep some guys from transferring. Might be a tough call to make for an AD, but if there are any more vague, PR driven statements from Coyle he might be approaching Mega-Tongue status as my least favorite AD.

Yep, I don't think this sounds good for Clayes.

Hopefully, this is just a meeting to mend fences and clear the air. Admissions by both parties that things could have been handled better. Then, here is your extension, 3 years same dollars (or slight raise) with huge bonus kick ins for certain accomplishments.

Statement sounds ominous though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't complaining about either, and the fact is, they both mean the same thing.
Coyle is dragging his feet for a reason.

Be careful what you wish for.

A man saw a ball of gold in the sky;
He climbed for it,
And eventually he achieved it --
It was clay.

Now this is the strange part:
When the man went to the earth
And looked again,
Lo, there was the ball of gold.
It was a ball of gold.
Aye, by the heavens, it was a ball of gold.

Stephen Crane

Yep, I don't think this sounds good for Clayes.

Hopefully, this is just a meeting to mend fences and clear the air. Admissions by both parties that things could have been handled better. Then, here is your extension, 3 years same dollars (or slight raise) with huge bonus kick ins for certain accomplishments.

Statement sounds ominous though.

Or sounds like Coyle doesn't want it took look like all Claeys had to do was win the Holiday Bowl and presto, he gets his extension. M.C. could want to either make it seem as if he's very concerned about things going forward and wants to take some time and work those things out with T.C. That or he actually wants to do it.

The cliche would be to give him the benefit of the doubt, but honestly is there anything that Coyle has done that would earn him that benefit?

It isn't the statement, it is the timing. The decision on Clayes needs to be made TODAY or at the very least in the next 24 hours. If u r gonna fire him, then rip the damn band off today or tomorrow and get it over with. Sooner the better so we can move on. If u r going to extend him, get that announced today or tomorrow and iron out contract details later. Deal with the backlash from the other side if u keep him, but make a damn decision quickly and let's start thinking about recruiting and next season.

Be careful what you wish for.

A man saw a ball of gold in the sky;
He climbed for it,
And eventually he achieved it --
It was clay.

When the man went to the earth
And looked again,
Lo, there was the ball of gold.
It was a ball of gold.
Aye, by the heavens, it was a ball of gold.

Stephen Crane
I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
Steven Wright

Pretty sure Coyle said before the bowl game that he planned to take a few days after before moving on any decisions. This tread is hilarious...

Earlier in the season he said he was working on an extension. There has been a lot going on in the process to get to this point, but I could see a 'ball coach saying let's wait until the season is over to talk extension. This could be entirely Claeys' decision to wait.

A lot of folks on this board jump to conclusions based on very little information. We have no idea what the conversations between the two are like. Coyle might've wanted more time to get a feel of if he can work with Claeys and to see how he works through the year. They both are fairly quiet individuals from a media standpoint and Claeys seems like the "no distractions during the season" type of coach. You want Coyle to extend Claeys the moment they get back from a bowl win? Let it breath a bit and be patient.

The only thing I read is he is going to sit down and have a conversation with coach Claeys about the future of the program. Beyond that, I don't really know the rest of it is just speculations. It may be a come to jesus meeting about the 09/02/16 incident and the subsequent boycott by the players, it may not be. Claey's is kind of an less ego more football coach right now. The program has a fairly good staff with a lot of role models that I for one am glad they have for the players. I'm sure beyond that, whatever strings President Kaler is pulling with the AD will happen at this meeting. You could tell at the luncheon that coach Claeys was pulling away from the President Kaler, keeping as much distance as possible almost like Kaler squeezed off an SBD in his presence or Kaler literally crop dusted coach Claeys.

The only thing I read is he is going to sit down and have a conversation with coach Claeys about the future of the program. Beyond that, I don't really know the rest of it is just speculations. It may be a come to jesus meeting about the 09/02/16 incident and the subsequent boycott by the players, it may not be. Claey's is kind of an less ego more football coach right now. The program has a fairly good staff with a lot of role models that I for one am glad they have for the players. I'm sure beyond that, whatever strings President Kaler is pulling with the AD will happen at this meeting. You could tell at the luncheon that coach Claeys was pulling away from the President Kaler, keeping as much distance as possible almost like Kaler squeezed off an SBD in his presence or Kaler literally crop dusted coach Claeys.

This gets my vote...

Reusse claims that Coyle and Kaler had an agreement in place last January for the AD job and the search was just a facade.

Maybe a coach is already in waiting.

I think Claeys and Coyle will sit down and come to an extension agreement.

I was in one of the tailgate lots at the game yesterday where Kaler and Coyle spoke. Kaler was very positive about Coyle and the team and Coyle was very positive about the team. Neither even mentioned Claeys. It gave me the impression they were done with him. I'm not sure how the win impacts their decision but as of this time yesterday I'm guessing they planned on getting rid of him.

I was in one of the tailgate lots at the game yesterday where Kaler and Coyle spoke. Kaler was very positive about Coyle and the team and Coyle was very positive about the team. Neither even mentioned Claeys. It gave me the impression they were done with him. I'm not sure how the win impacts their decision but as of this time yesterday I'm guessing they planned on getting rid of him.

Well yeah, AP sportsguy article made them both look foolish and Claeys look like the adult among them. They have big egos...

Top Bottom