Start up Spring Practice now

Lol. No connection, Eric Decker is just blessed with the worlds greats last name..;)

@Deckergopher, the sooner we obtain community spread the sooner we will get herd immunity. The young and healthy will catch COVID-19 just like they will catch the influenza. We know now that many of the infected show few symptoms. Sure, some get really sick, just like with the flu. If a team is too sick to play, they forfeit, but we've seen that most of the infected have a very mild illness. WE SHOULD NOT BE SPARING THE YOUNG AND HEALTHY FROM INFECTION.

The important point is that we need the young and healthy to spread it to each other, NOT TO THE AGED OR IMMUNE COMPROMISED.

COVID-19 is similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968. It spares the young and healthy. Tiny numbers of the young have been hospitalized, and they were the ones with other chronic diseases.

Start the schools now. Subsidize the sick not the healthy. Open restaurants, theaters, schools, beaches, parks. Warn the vulnerable, encourage the rest to live life to the full.

According to the CDC, published 5/1 with statistics from 2/1-4/28, the U.S. Covid deaths for ages 44 and under makeup just shy of 3% of all Covid related deaths. At 54 and under it jumps to 8% of US deaths.
CDC table click table 1

still a low percentage, but there are numbers and a source

From the very beginning, they only diagnosed or tested those presenting with illness. In fact, large numbers of people had mild or no symptoms. So lethality in those showing up in the hospital was really high. Look at Minnesota's numbers, average age of death is in the 80's.

Dude, it's clear you're using the guise of starting spring practice to scream your opinion to whoever cares to listen. The Big 10 isn't allowing any school to practice until June 1st. End of story. Please go to the Off Topic Board if you want to talk yell about politics that I'm sure we're all getting sick of.

Minnesota doesn't exist in a vacuum. Open your doors and you invite the killer into your world at your peril. Michigan, Illinois, New York and New Jersey can testify to the devastation Here in Michigan, we've had over 4,000 deaths in 6 weeks. Nobody's talking about playing football much less practicing. We have 1.3 million jobless again in 6 weeks. Illinois is on pace to surpass michiga n shortly. Pennsylvania is being hit hard. So even if the gophers put a team together, who they gonna play?

It makes a whole lot more sense to plan for starting to practice on/around June 1 and possibly have to adjust that a little bit than it does to not plan for anything at all and be completely unprepared should the possibility to start activities present itself.

Not a single doubt in my mind that there will be football this fall. Never has been, and that hasn't changed. Will it be different than what we're used to, at least in some fashion (i.e. no fans, scheduling adjustments, etc)? Probably a good chance.

@Deckergopher, the sooner we obtain community spread the sooner we will get herd immunity. The young and healthy will catch COVID-19 just like they will catch the influenza. We know now that many of the infected show few symptoms. Sure, some get really sick, just like with the flu. If a team is too sick to play, they forfeit, but we've seen that most of the infected have a very mild illness. WE SHOULD NOT BE SPARING THE YOUNG AND HEALTHY FROM INFECTION.

The important point is that we need the young and healthy to spread it to each other, NOT TO THE AGED OR IMMUNE COMPROMISED.

COVID-19 is similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968. It spares the young and healthy. Tiny numbers of the young have been hospitalized, and they were the ones with other chronic diseases.

Start the schools now. Subsidize the sick not the healthy. Open restaurants, theaters, schools, beaches, parks. Warn the vulnerable, encourage the rest to live life to the full.

Agree with you a 100%. I never quit working. I am a sub contractor and Im having the best start to any year I’ve ever had.

Click on "Provisional Deaths by Week and State." Note the total death count: 38,576

That's in the WHOLE COUNTRY, in a three month period.

There were supposed to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths by now!

If that were the flu death toll it would be considered a very mild flu season. And that is with the CDC's own BS collection methodology which recommends counting all deaths of anyone who so much as had a cough at time of death as a COVID-19 death.

And with testing only a certain subset of highly symptomatic people.

We are locking down the country for something that is by the CDC's own admission one or two orders of magnitude milder than influenza. It literally might not even exist because the PCR test is notoriously unreliable and prone to identifying the presence of any random genetic garbage as COVID-19.

Bill Gates is on TV in his sweater vest telling us how this is going to play out, what we are allowed to do, that this is "Pandemic 1" and that there will be a "Pandemic 2" and that we won't be allowed our freedom back until there is a vaccine.

You know, President Bill Gates, the guy we all voted for in the last election.
If u look at that data it’s not really 3 months of Covid in its full attack mode. The first 6 weeks only accounts for 75 deaths directly related to Covid.

If u look at that data it’s not really 3 months of Covid in its full attack mode. The first 6 weeks only accounts for 75 deaths directly related to Covid.

The "Provisional Deaths" say there is 1-8 week delay b/c they are only counted once the death certificates are recorded. Thus, you are correct....and that's why there is "only" 38k+. Evidently, footnotes aren't read when people want to be right.

Last edited:

Great News!! South Korean professional baseball started up today. Cheerleaders were wearing masks but the players were not. No human fans in the stands, but the stadium was filled with painted fans in every seat. The good news there is that none of those excellent fans will be drunk or standing during the game. Outstanding.:):)

So, I wasn't gonna touch this thread at all, but here's an interesting question for those who want to, in my opinion, rush opening:

Say we have some sort of season in the fall, what happens if a team, like the gophers, has an outbreak and half the team is too sick to play? Forget about deaths, season logistics, and whether or not fans will be in stadium, if half the team becomes sick enough for a week or two where they cannot play a physically taxing game for 3+ hours does that team just forfeit? or do they try to put enough warm bodies on the field to then get crushed by their opponents?

Whether or not you think there is actual risk to the 20 year olds on the field, that scenario is a possibility. How is that handled? You could even limit it to position groups...what if the whole QB room (or TE room :p) becomes too sick to play?
You mean like when the Gophers lost to Illinois a few years ago because of a flu outbreak?

You mean like when the Gophers lost to Illinois a few years ago because of a flu outbreak?
I was thinking along the lines of a team having a big food poisoning outbreak as well but same point, duly noted!

Here is another good sign. Today, Andrea Merkle (sp?) announced that German professional soccer teams can resume play this month. Real games, no fans, but TV for sure. Bad news for you "eternal gloom and doom until after the election" fans.:clap:

Here is another good sign. Today, Andrea Merkle (sp?) announced that German professional soccer teams can resume play this month. Real games, no fans, but TV for sure. Bad news for you "eternal gloom and doom until after the election" fans.:clap:
Objectively speaking, Germany has their sh*t together and handled the pandemic well. They have also seen a marked drop in cases and the population has easy access to tests. They also noted that there will likely be a second wave and that they are prepared and supplied for it. America still has a way to go comparatively, but it is a positive sign. I think U.S. professional sports will follow a similar path, but college sports will be a completely different issue as the players are first and foremost students, not professional athletes.

Objectively speaking, Germany has their sh*t together and handled the pandemic well. They have also seen a marked drop in cases and the population has easy access to tests. They also noted that there will likely be a second wave and that they are prepared and supplied for it. America still has a way to go comparatively, but it is a positive sign. I think U.S. professional sports will follow a similar path, but college sports will be a completely different issue as the players are first and foremost students, not professional athletes.

I'm sorry, but you think college football is about the students? That the U will turn down $75 million dollars so as to minimize, but not eliminate or even deminish, the chance that some players might get sick if they play football? You think our players will not get Covid if they stay off campus and hang out with their high school friends? Our team will not practice but Iowa's will? (The president of the U of Iowa this week said he thinks their football team will be practicing this June.) Really, you think that he is wrong? I don't.

PS The Germans have tested 2.5 million people, we have tested 8 million. A small advantage for them per million residents.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but you think college football is about the students? That U will turn down $75 million dollars so as to minimize, but not eliminate or even deminish, the chance that some players might get sick if they play football? You think our players will not get Covid if they stay off campus and hang out with their high school friends? Our team will not practice but Iowa's will? (The president of the U of Iowa this week said he thinks their football team will be practicing this June.) Really, you think that? I don't.
I literally did not say any of that. I just made the observation that it will be a more complicated path for college sports to start back than professional sports. Hope you are having a peaceful Wednesday.

Thought I should point out that the docs in the original post are facing some backlash now:

Here is an interesting bit from the article:

In a rare statement late today, the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine declared they “emphatically condemn the recent opinions released by Dr. Daniel Erickson and Dr. Artin Messihi. These reckless and untested musings do not speak for medical societies and are inconsistent with current science and epidemiology regarding COVID-19. As owners of local urgent care clinics, it appears these two individuals are releasing biased, non-peer reviewed data to advance their personal financial interests without regard for the public’s health.”

Round and round we go.

Thought I should point out that the docs in the original post are facing some backlash now:

Here is an interesting bit from the article:

Round and round we go.
They (professional societies) are saying wait for a vaccine...which may never come. Meanwhile, businesses, communities, individuals shrivel up and die. The young and healthy have almost zero chance of dying from this disease, so let them live and let us fat boomers hunker down and stay safe.

Anyone feel like this thread has run its course?

Click on "Provisional Deaths by Week and State." Note the total death count: 38,576

That's in the WHOLE COUNTRY, in a three month period.

There were supposed to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths by now!

If that were the flu death toll it would be considered a very mild flu season. And that is with the CDC's own BS collection methodology which recommends counting all deaths of anyone who so much as had a cough at time of death as a COVID-19 death.

And with testing only a certain subset of highly symptomatic people.

We are locking down the country for something that is by the CDC's own admission one or two orders of magnitude milder than influenza. It literally might not even exist because the PCR test is notoriously unreliable and prone to identifying the presence of any random genetic garbage as COVID-19.

Bill Gates is on TV in his sweater vest telling us how this is going to play out, what we are allowed to do, that this is "Pandemic 1" and that there will be a "Pandemic 2" and that we won't be allowed our freedom back until there is a vaccine.

You know, President Bill Gates, the guy we all voted for in the last election.
This has been talked about a bunch here but that list is based on death certificates received and is way behind for some states. The US has actually seen aver 60K deaths in the past month.

Focus on where the risk is...senior facilities. Florida did, and its results are leading the nation, they have the National Guard protecting nursing homes and it's working. Keep seniors protected while the disease runs its course in the healthy population with practically zero deaths and negligible hospitalizations.

START SPRING PRACTICE NOW

Focus on where the risk is...senior facilities. Florida did, and its results are leading the nation, they have the National Guard protecting nursing homes and it's working. Keep seniors protected while the disease runs its course in the healthy population with practically zero deaths and negligible hospitalizations.

Fact: 407 of 508 Minnesota Coronavirus deaths have occurred in cases at long term care facilities.

The National Guard wasn’t guarding or protecting the Florida nursing home residents, they were there to test them for COVID-19 infections. For a variety of reasons, nursing homes have not been able to test the most vulnerable population and the National Guard is expediting the tests. Read more at DoD website:

https://www.defense.gov/Explore/New...ds-covid-19-testing-at-veterans-nursing-home/

Anyone feel like this thread has run its course?

Oh it ran its course a long long long time ago, it is just one of those fun threads that refuses to die no matter how much we all wish it would.

Oh goody....this thread is back....yay....

Top Bottom