Start up Spring Practice now

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see much of a plan in that article.

What I gathered is that the Iowa president is hoping they can start practice by June 1.

Do they need go aheads from the NCAA and/or the B1G? Or is the decision up to each individual school?

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see much of a plan in that article.

What I gathered is that the Iowa president is hoping they can start practice by June 1.

Do they need go aheads from the NCAA and/or the B1G? Or is the decision up to each individual school?

My interpretation is they’re planning on June 1st. Could things change? Sure.

Yes, I got that too. But my question was: is it 100% up to the schools?

Don't the B1G and NCAA have rules that each school has to follow, as to the number of practices allowed?

Maybe this means they're all hoping/planning on starting practice June 1.

Yes, I got that too. But my question was: is it 100% up to the schools?

Don't the B1G and NCAA have rules that each school has to follow, as to the number of practices allowed?

Maybe this means they're all hoping/planning on starting practice June 1.

Hope so.

I suppose the bigwigs and powers-that-be may look at the calendar and see things getting close to a point in time where it's "now or never".

Here is a USA today story about the plan to start practices. I would assume that this is a plan being discussed by all Big Ten schools. If it does work out that teams are able to get back to practicing in early June I would say that would greatly improve the odds of the season starting on time.

But how to handle the fan issue will still be a major point of discussion.
Unless the Big Ten come over the top of it and tries to put the kibosh down (which even then you could see it legally challenged in states, perhaps), I think this was just the first domino that everyone else was waiting for.

No one ever wants to go first, but when someone finally does, everyone else quickly follows suit.

No Big Ten school is going to let Iowa get an unfair advantage here. I'm sure Fleck is already in Coyle's ear, and Coyle is already in Gabel's ear.

Buddy of mine said the U sent emails last week talking about its "Sunrise Plan" to start reopening campus. No details yet but they're working on it. Would guess that whatever date they agree to let football practice resume is also a date that they start allowing the campus to be open again to at least students on some limited capacity (rec center, etc.).

Bill Maher says (in effect) START NCAA FOOTBALL NOW.

I would take this to mean that there isn't going to be a "Spring Practice" per se, rather just one summer long practice leading to September games.

The real question will be how does the conference handle it if one state says teams can get together and another state doesn't.

The real question will be how does the conference handle it if one state says teams can get together and another state doesn't.

Too bad for the teams that don't? I would guess. If we want to forfit our game with Iowa that will be up to us.

Governor Walz is in a bubble. He should end the lock down now, with warnings in place for the immune compromised, they should be the ones doing the hiding.

Not the point, and you know it. How bad would it look if many got it and a bunch for really sick?

Nobel prize winning scientist confirms lock-downs do more harm than good, but only platformed on conservative media.

Anyone with solid college level statistics can understand this....

Let's Roll!

What does Eric Decker’s wonderlic score have to do with what I posted?

You are "DeckerGopher", I thought you might have connections to Eric Decker who maybe could get through to Fleck, Coyle, Gabel, Walz.

Evidence is piling up, the virus races through the healthy population like any other virus, most don't even know it. We need to be getting herd immunity, not sheltering like a bunch of scared rodents. Let our Big 10 football respond to the call (the ones that don't have diminished immune systems, which is practically all of them).

COVID19 doesn't hurt young people.

Technically that's a data table, not a graph.

Here is the table with the chart. We should be appalled that we shut down the country and destroyed businesses and families for this.

percent of cases and deaths by age.JPG

According to the CDC, published 5/1 with statistics from 2/1-4/28, the U.S. Covid deaths for ages 44 and under makeup just shy of 3% of all Covid related deaths. At 54 and under it jumps to 8% of US deaths.
CDC table click table 1

still a low percentage, but there are numbers and a source

Last edited:

IMO if there is a fall season it will be abbreviated. That's because after this current "wave" such as it is sputters out (plausibly there never was any wave, as this whole thing is a massive hoax), the media is going to hype up its new autumn blockbuster, CORONACAUST 2: BODIES IN THE STREETS.

In this sequel to the action-packed CORONACAUST 1: SIX FEET TO OBLIVION, dedicated Golden Gopher fans fight through hoards of marauding bandits in scenes reminiscent of
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, to make it to TCF Bank Stadium to watch games that aren't even playing, because the whole Minnesota Golden Gopher football team, echoing the title of the movie, is yet another sad casualty of THE CORONACAUST.

"Two thumbs up" --Roger Ebert's corpse

According to the CDC, published 5/1 with statistics from 2/1-4/28, the U.S. Covid deaths for ages 44 and under makeup just shy of 3% of all Covid related deaths. At 54 and under it jumps to 8% of US deaths.
CDC table click table 1

still a low percentage, but there are numbers and a source
Click on "Provisional Deaths by Week and State." Note the total death count: 38,576

That's in the WHOLE COUNTRY, in a three month period.

There were supposed to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths by now!

If that were the flu death toll it would be considered a very mild flu season. And that is with the CDC's own BS collection methodology which recommends counting all deaths of anyone who so much as had a cough at time of death as a COVID-19 death.

And with testing only a certain subset of highly symptomatic people.

We are locking down the country for something that is by the CDC's own admission one or two orders of magnitude milder than influenza. It literally might not even exist because the PCR test is notoriously unreliable and prone to identifying the presence of any random genetic garbage as COVID-19.

Bill Gates is on TV in his sweater vest telling us how this is going to play out, what we are allowed to do, that this is "Pandemic 1" and that there will be a "Pandemic 2" and that we won't be allowed our freedom back until there is a vaccine.

You know, President Bill Gates, the guy we all voted for in the last election.

So, I wasn't gonna touch this thread at all, but here's an interesting question for those who want to, in my opinion, rush opening:

Say we have some sort of season in the fall, what happens if a team, like the gophers, has an outbreak and half the team is too sick to play? Forget about deaths, season logistics, and whether or not fans will be in stadium, if half the team becomes sick enough for a week or two where they cannot play a physically taxing game for 3+ hours does that team just forfeit? or do they try to put enough warm bodies on the field to then get crushed by their opponents?

Whether or not you think there is actual risk to the 20 year olds on the field, that scenario is a possibility. How is that handled? You could even limit it to position groups...what if the whole QB room (or TE room :p) becomes too sick to play?

Click on "Provisional Deaths by Week and State." Note the total death count: 38,576

That's in the WHOLE COUNTRY, in a three month period.

There were supposed to be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of deaths by now!

If that were the flu death toll it would be considered a very mild flu season. And that is with the CDC's own BS collection methodology which recommends counting all deaths of anyone who so much as had a cough at time of death as a COVID-19 death.

And with testing only a certain subset of highly symptomatic people.

We are locking down the country for something that is by the CDC's own admission one or two orders of magnitude milder than influenza. It literally might not even exist because the PCR test is notoriously unreliable and prone to identifying the presence of any random genetic garbage as COVID-19.

Bill Gates is on TV in his sweater vest telling us how this is going to play out, what we are allowed to do, that this is "Pandemic 1" and that there will be a "Pandemic 2" and that we won't be allowed our freedom back until there is a vaccine.

You know, President Bill Gates, the guy we all voted for in the last election.

Regardless of the actual fatality rate in the end, the real issue with this virus is hospital load. In a given year the hospitals take into account the expected number of beds needed during flu season. Adding hundreds of thousands of more beds needed on-top of that due to this virus causes our hospitals to be overwhelmed and deaths across the board to increase due to lack of resources. Everyone focuses on the fatality of this virus specifically when, at this point, the real issue should be how strained the hospitals are due to the extra capacity they need...

So, I wasn't gonna touch this thread at all, but here's an interesting question for those who want to, in my opinion, rush opening:

Say we have some sort of season in the fall, what happens if a team, like the gophers, has an outbreak and half the team is too sick to play? Forget about deaths, season logistics, and whether or not fans will be in stadium, if half the team becomes sick enough for a week or two where they cannot play a physically taxing game for 3+ hours does that team just forfeit? or do they try to put enough warm bodies on the field to then get crushed by their opponents?

Whether or not you think there is actual risk to the 20 year olds on the field, that scenario is a possibility. How is that handled? You could even limit it to position groups...what if the whole QB room (or TE room :p) becomes too sick to play?

[/QUOT
You are "DeckerGopher", I thought you might have connections to Eric Decker who maybe could get through to Fleck, Coyle, Gabel, Walz.

Evidence is piling up, the virus races through the healthy population like any other virus, most don't even know it. We need to be getting herd immunity, not sheltering like a bunch of scared rodents. Let our Big 10 football respond to the call (the ones that don't have diminished immune systems, which is practically all of them).

COVID19 doesn't hurt young people.

Lol. No connection, Eric Decker is just blessed with the worlds greats last name..;)

Top Bottom