Spring Practice

just a thought from watching the little film clip. With Mo and Potts both limited, I wonder if Spring Practice will wind up more pass-heavy by necessity, because the number of healthy RB's is limited.

wouldn't be a bad thing to put in more time on the passing game this Spring, IMHO.

I've seen quite a bit of Bryce Williams in the short spring clips, which is a good sign.

Last edited:

We are going to miss our RT boat anchor.

I've seen quite a bit of Bryce Williams in the short spring clips, which is a good sign.
I would think that Williams (big back) and Irving (scat back) would be the tentative "first team", while Preston Jelen (big back) and Zach Evans (scat back, true freshman enrolled for spring) would be the tentative "second team", for this spring.

We also have a couple walk-ons (I think?) in Nubin's brother Jordan and Kendall Moore from East Ridge listed at RB, as a "third team" or could give guys a break for a couple plays.

We're breaking in new OL and these guys are going to need to get a lot of reps at blocking our running schemes, good-on-good. We can't just say "well this is a 'passing' spring" because Potts and Mo aren't able to go.

This is my opinion.

I would think that Williams (big back) and Irving (scat back) would be the tentative "first team", while Preston Jelen (big back) and Zach Evans (scat back, true freshman enrolled for spring) would be the tentative "second team", for this spring.

We also have a couple walk-ons (I think?) in Nubin's brother Jordan and Kendall Moore from East Ridge listed at RB, as a "third team" or could give guys a break for a couple plays.

We're breaking in new OL and these guys are going to need to get a lot of reps at blocking our running schemes, good-on-good. We can't just say "well this is a 'passing' spring" because Potts and Mo aren't able to go.

This is my opinion.
Don't forget about Lecaptain. He scores a touchdown 33% of the time he's given the ball.

He is listed at LB on the 2022 (spring) roster: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/

For whatever that is worth. I am wondering if they only converted him because we lost Jelen last season to injury, in the first place. Can't remember.
Yeah, he was an all-HS RB/LB that stepped in...but he's legit as a 3rd/4th option anytime. The sideline reaction when he scored is still one of my favorite away game in-person highlight and clip to watch.

This is my opinion.
Our OL might have more guys with starts coming back than most.

Don't think I've ever seen less information come out during spring practice. Am I misremembering or does it seem like a team/media blackout?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

Don't think I've ever seen less information come out during spring practice. Am I misremembering or does it seem like a team/media blackout?
You are misremembering -- going back six years, anyway. PJ does not let information out during spring practice. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

What information do you expect? Starters announced or such?

Spring time for PJs teams don’t often involve a lot of details.

I agree with that. Think you want to pump up the fans and start selling more tickets.

The practices are open, what have people seen?
Only one practice has been open to the public so far, and folks have already elaborated on what they saw there. The second open practice hasn't happened yet.

If you have a good product you do not mind people knowing about it.
On the other hand....

Yeah, he was an all-HS RB/LB that stepped in...but he's legit as a 3rd/4th option anytime. The sideline reaction when he scored is still one of my favorite away game in-person highlight and clip to watch.

This kid is pure grit and determination.

Only one practice has been open to the public so far, and folks have already elaborated on what they saw there. The second open practice hasn't happened yet.
Capture.PNG

Technically 5 "open" practices so far. For elite donators

If you have a good product you do not mind people knowing about it.
On the other hand....
So I assume you are implying that Badger practices are wide open to anyone and everyone right with zero restrictions. Good lord man do you really have nothing at all better to do with your time than hang around here and take shots at the Gophers?

Top Bottom