Spring Practice

Don't think I've ever seen less information come out during spring practice. Am I misremembering or does it seem like a team/media blackout?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Rivals and 247Sports puts out more information than the local media. Especially during the off-seasons. Burns has a pretty good write-up from yesterday's media practice.

Saturday practice is open to the public at 11:00 am, planning on attending. Will we get a heads up on if it's indoors or not. Need to know what to wear.

beyond the 'access' question - if a team was doing something truly different - new formations, new plays, a new defensive scheme - they are going to keep it under wraps until at least the start of the regular season.

college FB coaches all seem to think they are CIA operatives, and everything they deal with has top-secret clearance.

the most you can reasonably glean from Spring practice is a general sense of how practice is run, and maybe some ideas on the athletic ability of individual players.

speaking as a guy who has covered an NFL training camp as a member of the media, most practices are pretty routine affairs.

So I assume you are implying that Badger practices are wide open to anyone and everyone right with zero restrictions. Good lord man do you really have nothing at all better to do with your time than hang around here and take shots at the Gophers?
And apparently a product that was so bad it was able to beat his teams product...

We keep hearing praise about Athan...I am probably the most excited to see him vs Morgan at the Spring Game. Can Athan display enough now and in the fall to get the starting position?

beyond the 'access' question - if a team was doing something truly different - new formations, new plays, a new defensive scheme - they are going to keep it under wraps until at least the start of the regular season.

college FB coaches all seem to think they are CIA operatives, and everything they deal with has top-secret clearance.

the most you can reasonably glean from Spring practice is a general sense of how practice is run, and maybe some ideas on the athletic ability of individual players.

speaking as a guy who has covered an NFL training camp as a member of the media, most practices are pretty routine affairs.
I remember Sid thinking that the Gophers were being spied on by other B1G teams when they practiced outside.

I don't think they needed to scout the Gophers ... sadly.

We keep hearing praise about Athan...I am probably the most excited to see him vs Morgan at the Spring Game. Can Athan display enough now and in the fall to get the starting position?
I remember hearing about Morgan a bit and going to spring practice.

"Ok that's Zack, looks good."

Then I saw Morgan.

"Oh so this is who they're talking about ... I see now, yup!"

Hard to know what happens on game day but the nice decisive accurate throws were noticeable.

Yes, they're pretty routine. And not all practices are open to the general public (just the media) and not the entire practice. However, the media covers it everyday, and it encourages discussion.

I get that it's the NFL and the Vikings; Gopher practices wouldn't get the same kind of coverage. But they'd get more than they're getting now. Season ticket renewals are due tomorrow, I think. Seems like a good time to get people talking about the product.

I wish having two kids currently enrolled at the U had some kind of benefit...*sigh*
When I took over an account that had season tickets they took off the previous account holder's "alumni" points.

I get it it... I'm not an alumni ... I'm ok with it.

But parents ... yeah they should get something.

Some points per kid per year or something ;)

I agree with that. Think you want to pump up the fans and start selling more tickets.
So let’s see…people that would never go to a game will go to a game 6 months from now if Minnesota would just open practices more for the people that will being going to the games 6 months from now. Makes perfect sense to me.

Quite a few seem to have at least partial “sleeves” even by freshman year. That can be thousands of $ worth of work, right? Their parents must be paying for these tats?
How bout a tat NIL fund sponsored by tattoo artists/parlors?

The measurables of a recruit coming out of high school only indicate one thing - promise. We don't know how an athlete will be at the next level.

They have to get used to the speed of the game by failing. What he does with that will determine his success. IMHO, Athan will get there.

Reality bites hard. You don't hear about certain players until after two or maybe three years in the development program. I think Athan will progress quicker. Next year at this time, he will become a more polished QB.

There is an argument both ways about taking a QB every year. It doesn't always have to be a scholarship player.

Unfortunately the weather on Saturday does not look good. Rain, temps in the low 50s, and windy. There might be a short break in the rain around the time the game is expected to start though.

Prefer a precise approximation myself...the more the significant figures the better...
1651084662023.png

Top Bottom