Sources: Gophers tight end Maxx Williams intends to turn pro

Not how I wanted to begin bowl week. Hopefully we see one more huge game from him.

Blargh, really? Best of luck to Maxx in the future but I was selfishly hoping he'd be back for 2015. Without him I fail to see how we effectively move the ball through the air on a consistent basis.

1.9 to 2.6 catches per game from last year, but a huge percentage were first downs or touchdowns. Will be hard to raise his stock with another year. Hope he come back selfishly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I thought.

As I feared.

Remember when I said my worst nightmare was he goes pro after 25 catches this year?

If this is true we should be very excited with anything over 6 wins next year. I'm still bullish over the long-term, but we'll probably take a small step back next year as we regroup from the Cobb/Williams losses.

If this is true we should be very excited with anything over 6 wins next year. I'm still bullish over the long-term, but we'll probably take a small step back next year as we regroup from the Cobb/Williams losses.

It could lead to a lot of unpredictable offense as well. I'm confident they'll find a way on offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aw, fooey.

But it'll be okay, and I do think the offense can be better next year, even without him. One position doesn't make a whole offense.

Our WRs will be way improved over this year.

Seriously? Do you really think that 7 wins would be a big deal even if we lose Maxx? I would be extremely disappointed if we did not get 8 wins next year.

The Gophers will just reload. Next man up!

Seriously? Do you really think that 7 wins would be a big deal even if we lose Maxx? I would be extremely disappointed if we did not get 8 wins next year.

If they don't get to at least 8 next year, Norwood's cash grab is going to be an epic failure.

Maxx is great but a TE isn't so important as to change expectations for next year. We also have nice talent in the wings if Duke stays healthy skin with Jerry Gibson. Plus our WRs should be much better next year too

I think we have a couple of talented kids waiting for their chance. Next man up. Minny has a grreat TE tradition, and the next one will
continue it. Good luck if he goes, but we'll be fine.

Maxx is great but a TE isn't so important as to change expectations for next year. We also have nice talent in the wings if Duke stays healthy skin with Jerry Gibson. Plus our WRs should be much better next year too

Minimum nine wins next year. Wouldn't be shocked to take down TCU at home either. Wish Maxx was staying, but this is college football and when you have real talent some of it will leave early. Cobb has been very good. We just might be better next year. If Williams gets out of the doghouse and with that pair of Sophomores ready to play? D gets better. All those true Frosh on the D line coming back. Linebackers better than ever and the DBs (!!!). Brick by brick this system grows and matures.

Some of you will learn about winning CF if you stay a Gopher fan for a few more years. There is a transition from where the Gophers have been for half a century to the Kill years.

Good luck to Maxx. He could be a perennial ALL PRO. He brought some highlights to Gopher football. Bridgewater to Williams sounds like a winning combination to me.

True or not (again it's only unconfirmed sources at this point), I am looking forward to reading some unbelievably stupid post of the year nominees in this thread. Looks like a few fine folks have already gotten us off to a good start in that department. Well done. :rolleyes:

Best of luck to Maxx. This is what's best for him. I'm gonna miss him, but this doesn't alter expectations for next year. I can't wait to watch him in the NFL.

Another West Division championship game against Wisconsin should be expected. This time at home.

Bah!

Before this season you said we would win 5-6 wins with no chance of more than 7. You said Michigan would be a guaranteed loss despite them coming off of a 7 win season. You said Nebraska was going to be one of the most difficult upsets to pull of this year despite them coming off of a blowout at camp Randall and us coming off only a 7 point loss to OSU. You thought we would somehow be double digit dogs to Iowa as well. I'm sure you thought we wouldn't even get a bowl in 2012 despite returning 16 out of 22 starters and you probably thought we would have another three win season in 2011. To be honest if I shared you're views about the program I would quit my gopher fandom on the spot.

As for Maxx, he is a top two TE in the country but he isn't the reason why we have had back to back 8 win seasons. He hasn't even had a 500 yard season yet. I don't even know if it will be half as detrimental as losing Abrederis was to Wisconsin's passing game this year. Besides hands and body control Duke is every bit the TE Maxx is particularly with his size and athleticism. Isaiah Gentry will be the best deep threat the gophers have had in a long time and Melvin Holland and Jeff Jones will be outstanding weapons in the passing game as well.

End of rant. Feels good to get that out.

If true, good for him. His stock will likely never be higher than it is now, gotta go for the money while you can.

Our roster is filled with all-Americans. We'll have no problem replacing him.:rolleyes:

If he ends up leaving I will wish him nothing but the best. Would love to see him stay one more year for selfish reasons. Honestly though, with Leidner back at QB, he isn't going to do much more for his draft stock next season. Maxx has been an exciting player to watch, hopefully we can get at least one more huge game out of him!

Our roster is filled with all-Americans. We'll have no problem replacing him.:rolleyes:

Don't need 1 guy to replace his offense. If we can't collectively replace 29 catches then this offense sucks more than I thought and it means our redshirt receivers were duds.

Selfishly, I also want him back in 2015.

However, if his stock is up he is very deserving to capitalize on it and not risk injury and next year's TE class might be more competitive. Maxx turning pro and getting drafted in first two rounds is also good publicity for recruiting other top notch TE talent for the Gophers.

Can you imagine if Maxx, David, and Damien are all drafted what this will mean to the Gopher Football program?

The Gophers need to consistently put players in the NFL.

True or not (again it's only unconfirmed sources at this point), I am looking forward to reading some unbelievably stupid post of the year nominees in this thread. Looks like a few fine folks have already gotten us off to a good start in that department. Well done. :rolleyes:
+1
Football is dangerous. I'm sure Maxx has dreamed of playing in the NFL and when he expressed interest, I was pretty sure he'd go. I don't think it's about the money for him, but that can't hurt. No sense sticking around and risk an injury that would end his dream...unless he loves the Gophers so much he decides to stay like so many underclassmen have in recent years when they had millions waiting. I'm good either way and pretty sure we can win without him, are certainly better with him, and optimistic he'll be a great pro.

Can you imagine if Maxx, David, and Damien are all drafted what this will mean to the Gopher Football program?

The Gopher need to consistently put players in the NFL.

This. I believe that putting players in the NFL is something that a lot of recruits look for. Almost every kid good enough to play D-1 ball has dreams of going to the NFL.

Minimum nine wins next year. Wouldn't be shocked to take down TCU at home either. Wish Maxx was staying, but this is college football and when you have real talent some of it will leave early. Cobb has been very good. We just might be better next year. If Williams gets out of the doghouse and with that pair of Sophomores ready to play? D gets better. All those true Frosh on the D line coming back. Linebackers better than ever and the DBs (!!!). Brick by brick this system grows and matures.

Some of you will learn about winning CF if you stay a Gopher fan for a few more years. There is a transition from where the Gophers have been for half a century to the Kill years.

Good luck to Maxx. He could be a perennial ALL PRO. He brought some highlights to Gopher football. Bridgewater to Williams sounds like a winning combination to me.

Good post DH.

As the program gets better and better, it means we'll be putting more players in the League...

Losing Maxx will be a blow, but we're loaded at TE with Plsek, Wozniak, Lingen (where are the burning redshirt haters now???), Gibson, and Anyanwu. Duke might be the best of the bunch...

+1
Football is dangerous. I'm sure Maxx has dreamed of playing in the NFL and when he expressed interest, I was pretty sure he'd go. I don't think it's about the money for him, but that can't hurt. No sense sticking around and risk an injury that would end his dream.

Last year when he hurt his knee at the end of the bowl game I recall that his dad was very concerned that it would effect his pro stock. So when he had a strong 2014 who can blame him for going pro? I remember Tyrone Wheatley stuck around for an "extra year" after having a great season and awesome Outback Bowl vs. NC State. His value was at its peak....and he got injured that next year. Best of luck Maxx.

Definitely a blow. Imagine how he would have developed over the next two years, as in decades past - would have been a Heisman candidate his senior year. Won't be a consensus All-American, as we had hoped - but he will have a lot of money.

Losing our 3 best players in Williams, Cobb, and Wilson.

Hopefully some guys can step up next year.

Top Bottom