Sources: Gophers tight end Maxx Williams intends to turn pro

Wasn't Mitch Leidner recruited as a TE? Just saying.

No one is going to replace him next year, but that doesn't mean we're going to go from 8-9 wins to 6

My thoughts exactly. Not worried about losing Williams or Cobb at all. I'm more worreid about losing Epping and Olson, more than anyone on offense (specifically Olson). But, given the recent O-Line recruits, I don't think they miss a beat up front. There are a lot of very good, young athletes, ready to take a step forward. Mitch will be more effective through the air. I think Williams can be the guy at RB if need be, but I'm giddy about the Rodney Smith/Jeff Jones duo. Overall, I think the offense will be much better.

Forget Williams and Cobb on offense, I'm worried about losing Botticelli, Wilson, Wells, and Thompson on D. Thompson will be overlooked. He's a born leader, and a huge part of getting the players to buy in and change their attitude when Kill came in. In my opinion, regression on defense is more likely to cause a step backwards.

Even so, I see 8 wins on the 2015 schedule at the moment (that could change). That's facotring in an upset loss to a team we should beat, and an upset win over a team we shouldn't. Nine regular seasons is a real possibility. 10 is a stretch, but not impossible.

I'll consider it a failure to finish with less than 8 regular season wins in 2015, whether Maxx Williams is making 2 catches per game for this team or not.

If Jerry Kill can find a spot for Cedric Thompson on the coaching staff, he will be a great asset to the team.

He is such a fine young man who have worked hard to better himself and earned everything.

We will have some big shoes to fill but a good recruiting class will help ! We have some holes at LB to fill. Hopefully the Iowa JC kid can help. You can't replace the year Wilson had this year - he has a chance to play on Sunday's !

Maxx may end up being the greatest pass-catching TE in Gopher history. No one is going to replace him next year, but that doesn't mean we're going to go from 8-9 wins to 6 and that the passing game can't be better. We still have a good TE group (3 guys that played this year - Plsek, Lingen, Wozniak; 2 with lots of potential - Duke, Gibson), we have 4 redshirt freshman WRs that will be playing, Jones, Wolitarsky, and Maye will be back, and Mitch should be better. And if Mitch isn't, we will eventually have other viable options.

Hageman is the perfect example to compare to Maxx. No one this year "replaced" Rashede, but I would argue our D-line was better as our depth and recruiting continued to improve.

Agreed. We had an extremely predictable offense this year and still got 8 wins. Our strength is ball control and hard nosed defense. Williams will be missed, but if anything we've learned from this coaching staff that its about depth, execution, and ball protection, not individual players. Mitch will be another year older in the same system, will improve marginally at WORST, and there's likely going to be a significant step up in talent at WR. Losing Mitch would be the difference in wins, like him or not. Someone will step up and replace Maxx's numbers to an extent, and those numbers that aren't replaced will get spread to other positions.

I hope Maxx goes high in the draft and we see him starting on Mondays repping the real U

First time/Long time. Finally decided to make an account a few days ago to pose some questions to fellow Citrus Bowl travlers. Unfortunately, I can't let this go unsaid, and my first post must be this:

The quoted line is extremely preposterous.

Hands and body control are what separate great TEs from the rest. Everyone playing in the power 5 has size and athleticism. Literally everyone, at every position. That's how you become a power 5 football player. How many 5.00 40's, or 5'10" 195 pounds (or both), do you see at the TE position these days? I mean, come on. Every TE in a power 5 conference is every bit the TE Williams is, if you throw out the ability to make challenging catches (give or take a hundreth or two on the 40).

Also, Duke is likely going a very long time without practice. He basically has to break in a new ACL and learn how to run on it. Frankly, I'd be pretty surprised if he is one of the top two TEs on the depth chart to open the 2015 season. There will be handful of TEs with a lot of valuable big-game experience, will have spent much more time building a rapport with Mitch, and Gibson is coming in pretty highly touted. Duke had some nice spring practices before blowing his knee, and now he's at the front of the line, and will adequately replace the best TE in the country (arguably)? You really think that is a likely scenario (serious questions, not being a total smart ass)?

I'm guessing we'll revisit your certainty on Gentry, Holland, and Jones in the near future, and it won't be to say you were right. There is no guarantee that any of them so much as break a sweat next year, let alone be "outstanding" weapons. Historically, there is an extremely small chance that it happens for all three of them, or even two of them. Such certainty from a Gopher fan is surprising, especially considering some of the recruits from '09-'12.

Talk about counting chickens.

That said, I'm not overly worried about replacing him if he leaves. As many have said, it will likely be more beneficial to the program to have him drafted in the 2nd round, rather than stick around and damage his draft-stock.

End of rant. Feels good to get that out.

Goodger, Lingen and Wozniak definitely aren't the athletes that Duke is and I doubt Plesk is either. None of those guys most likely will ever be considered legitimate threats in the passing game. Gibson is just as athletic but doesn't have the size of Duke or Maxx (only 6-3, 223 compared to 6-4, 250). So yes, I do believe that Anywanwu will be the best receiving TE on our roster and will be a solid/good TE for us in the future. I don't believe he will be a Mackey finalist if thats what you thought I meant.

And of course there is a chance that Holland, Gentry and Jones could all be duds and nothing better than what we've had before but there also is a chance of them becoming very good weapons that will take this O to another level. I happen to believe that the latter is more likely than the former and I'm not the only one who has this optimism about these newcomers. "Outstanding" might have been a strong word to use for what should be expected of them for next year but they could very well start and even be considered upgrades over Woli, Jones and Fruechte. I do however believe that Jeff Jones will be much greater threat as a receiver out of the backfield than any other RB we have had in a while. He was considered one of the best receiving RBs in the country and proved why at the opening, NFTC, Rivals camp and during the UA game and practices both in getting separation and making the catch. As Pompous Elitist pointed out in another thread, it's very Minnesotan to look at arguably our best trio of skill position players that we have recruited in a long long time and not expect them to be any good.

Goodger, Lingen and Wozniak definitely aren't the athletes that Duke is and I doubt Plesk is either. None of those guys most likely will ever be considered legitimate threats in the passing game. Gibson is just as athletic but doesn't have the size of Duke or Maxx (only 6-3, 223 compared to 6-4, 250). So yes, I do believe that Anywanwu will be the best receiving TE on our roster and will be a solid/good TE for us in the future. I don't believe he will be a Mackey finalist if thats what you thought I meant.

Die Hard. You are spot on with this assessment of Duke. Spot on. If others can't see it, then just enjoy their ignorance.

If he comes back it will because he's not ready to deal with blocking at the NFL level and isn't quite strong enough yet to hold up at the point of attack. He's not an imposing looking dude in person yet. He will be in a year or two. Perhaps his athleticism and ball skills make his blocking and strength a moot point. I'll be happy for him whatever he decides he's been a pleasure to watch.

If he comes back it will because he's not ready to deal with blocking at the NFL level and isn't quite strong enough yet to hold up at the point of attack. He's not an imposing looking dude in person yet. He will be in a year or two. Perhaps his athleticism and ball skills make his blocking and strength a moot point. I'll be happy for him whatever he decides he's been a pleasure to watch.

Disagree. If he comes back it will be to get the axe and win the West. Watch his Draftbreakdown.com footage vs Iowa. He didn't miss very many blocks.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/maxx-williams-vs-iowa-2014/

My thoughts exactly. Not worried about losing Williams or Cobb at all. I'm more worreid about losing Epping and Olson, more than anyone on offense (specifically Olson). But, given the recent O-Line recruits, I don't think they miss a beat up front. There are a lot of very good, young athletes, ready to take a step forward. Mitch will be more effective through the air. I think Williams can be the guy at RB if need be, but I'm giddy about the Rodney Smith/Jeff Jones duo. Overall, I think the offense will be much better.

Let's see - Cobb: single-season rushing record holder. Williams: top pass-receiving threat and best 3rd-down receiver. And you're "not worried" about losing them. Don't get me wrong - I hope you're right, and the offense is better next season. I just think it's going to be a lot harder than you expect to replace the top two weapons on offense. My questions - is the QB read option going to be as productive without the threat of Cobb running the ball? And, without Williams as a 3rd-down option, who emerges as the "go-to" receiver? and one more - Will Leidner improve, and how much will he improve? Those are some pretty big questions to answer before we can determine whether the offense can truly be "better" next year.

Linemen have finished in the Heisman top three or four on occasion. After two years as a much-hyped consensus All-American and two-year winner of the Mackay Award he would be given Heisman consideration, I have no doubt (wouldn't win, though).

P.S. If Marcus Mariota and Melvin Gordon could come back for their SENIOR years (both busy offensive players who could have been injured), I can't help but wish Maxx would come back for his junior year and beat Wisconsin at home, among other tasks.

P.S. If Marcus Mariota and Melvin Gordon could come back for their SENIOR years (both busy offensive players who could have been injured), I can't help but wish Maxx would come back for his junior year and beat Wisconsin at home, among other tasks.

Gordon is skipping his senior year...he was a redshirt junior in 2014 (unless I missed something and he announced he's coming back AGAIN).

Ever since the NFL downgraded the rookie contracts in the last CBA, it makes sense for a guy to come out as early as possible. The real money is in the second contract, so you want to get to that second contract as soon as possible. It won't matter much if you struggle in year 1 in the NFL (if you were picked high enough that you're in no danger of being cut- most everyone in rounds 1-4 fit this bill) so you might as well be a pro and start making money.

I do hope that if Maxx does go pro, he ends up in the first round. The Gophers could really benefit from a more recent first rounder on the recruiting trail. If he doesn't go in the first round, I'd love to see him with the Vikings (unrealistic probably after just paying Rudolph) or with a team with an established QB (Atlanta makes a lot of sense as Matt Ryan did a lot with a fossilized Tony Gonzalez).

As for the Gophers, Maxx's is a huge potential loss for the team. That said, with better QB play and better play makers at the WR position, this team could still sport a much improved passing game. I won't say that will happen, and it's always better to keep a talented player than lose one, but it's certainly possible. To downgrade the team for next year now due to the (potential) loss of Maxx Williams is to assume that other areas of the team will remain the status quo.

Gordon is skipping his senior year...he was a redshirt junior in 2014 (unless I missed something and he announced he's coming back AGAIN).

Not to mention the fact that Mariota is a junior and there's slightly less than a 2% chance that he plays his senior year. 0-for-2 on that post from GPG. Good job, good effort.

Let's see - Cobb: single-season rushing record holder. Williams: top pass-receiving threat and best 3rd-down receiver. And you're "not worried" about losing them. Don't get me wrong - I hope you're right, and the offense is better next season. I just think it's going to be a lot harder than you expect to replace the top two weapons on offense. My questions - is the QB read option going to be as productive without the threat of Cobb running the ball? And, without Williams as a 3rd-down option, who emerges as the "go-to" receiver? and one more - Will Leidner improve, and how much will he improve? Those are some pretty big questions to answer before we can determine whether the offense can truly be "better" next year.

We have precedent that this is possible from this year. A lot of people thought the defense would take a step back after we lost our top two players from last year - Rashede and Brock. Not to mention Aaron Hill and James Manuel. It had been a while since we had two defensive players drafted as high as Rashede and Brock, and our defense was unquestionably better.

Linemen have finished in the Heisman top three or four on occasion. After two years as a much-hyped consensus All-American and two-year winner of the Mackay Award he would be given Heisman consideration, I have no doubt (wouldn't win, though).

Those linemen (Pace, for example) were considered once in a generation type of offensive lineman. Maxx is not a once in a generation Tight End. He doesn't put up the best numbers on a year by year basis either. He would not sniff a Heisman invite.

We have precedent that this is possible from this year. A lot of people thought the defense would take a step back after we lost our top two players from last year - Rashede and Brock. Not to mention Aaron Hill and James Manuel. It had been a while since we had two defensive players drafted as high as Rashede and Brock, and our defense was unquestionably better.

Overall, I don't disagree with you and think the Gophers will reload for next year. But the defense was not unquestionably better this year. It actually ranks about the same. The Gophers are ranked 38th in YPG (363) and gave up 23.4 PPG this year compared to 43rd in YPG (373) and gave up 22.2 PPG last year.

As for the comments above about Duke, I hope you are right but he has to stay healthy, and right now that seems like a big IF.

Overall, I don't disagree with you and think the Gophers will reload for next year. But the defense was not unquestionably better this year. It actually ranks about the same. The Gophers are ranked 38th in YPG (363) and gave up 23.4 PPG this year compared to 43rd in YPG (373) and gave up 22.2 PPG last year.

As for the comments above about Duke, I hope you are right but he has to stay healthy, and right now that seems like a big IF.

I'm on a phone so I don't have the numbers easily available to me, but it seems like we were head and shoulders better in the turnover game this year on defense

Not to mention the fact that Mariota is a junior and there's slightly less than a 2% chance that he plays his senior year. 0-for-2 on that post from GPG. Good job, good effort.

Right, they both redshirted freshman year, but they did come back for their junior years, which Maxx may not do. The source I checked listed them as in programs for four years but didn't indicate redshirt. Going pro after your junior year is common, but not after your sophomore year - I'd like to see Maxx come back, help the team win the West, beat Bucky in Minneapolis, and win the Mackay Award and consensus All-America. But, of course, it's up to him.

Stats can have limited value. So what if we gave up 20 to Eastern Illinois and 24 to MTSU because we had our 3rd stringers in. Take the two comparable games. Home vs. Iowa and at Michigan. Last year, we gave up 23 to Iowa. This year it was 7 until a garbage time TD. At Michigan, we gave up 42 last year and 14 this year. Our defense was better.

Stats can have limited value. So what if we gave up 20 to Eastern Illinois and 24 to MTSU because we had our 3rd stringers in. Take the two comparable games. Home vs. Iowa and at Michigan. Last year, we gave up 23 to Iowa. This year it was 7 until a garbage time TD. At Michigan, we gave up 42 last year and 14 this year. Our defense was better.

Stats have limited value only if they are working against your point. So Iowa and Michigan were just as good as last year? Not even close. This year's Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin were much closer resembling last years teams. The Gophers gave up virtually the same to Nebraska and Northwestern, and 2 more TDs to Wisconsin with the division on the line.

Last year's defense shut teams down the last 3 games of the year, including Rose Bowl champion Michigan St. This years defense did create 9 more turnovers, but needed them to keep Ohio State from hanging 50, and to win the Nebraska game. Joel Stave carved up this years defense. I'm not saying this years defense was bad, but down the stretch it was much worse than last years.

Die Hard. You are spot on with this assessment of Duke. Spot on. If others can't see it, then just enjoy their ignorance.

"Ingnorance," huh? I didn't realize something subject to opinion at this point was so cut as dried as "ingorance." Let me check the defnition of ingorance......yep, still revolves around facts (knowledge and information), hasn't changed. One's opinion can be hindered by ignorance of fact. Except, in this case, the facts have not yet been revealed. As much as I appreciate being insulted as the next guy, this just has no basis. In fact, your "ignorant," about how to use the word "ignorant."

Nearly exact words (not taking the time to go back and quote): "Anywanwu is every bit the TE Maxx Williams is, except for body control and hands."

Take a second to think about what that actually means.

You call that spot on assessment (I'm totally enjoying your ignorance right now)? By that logic, there would be about 40 Mackey calibur TEs in the B1G alone. I'm 6'4" and 240, sitting at my desk with my belly hanging over my belt at 30, not having touched a pigskin since high school. Does that mean I'm every bit the TE Maxx Williams is, save for my ability to catch a freaking football? Again, You can pull guys off the street with size and athleticism (not me, by the way, so don't even go there, not what I'm saying, I know that's the first straw you'll reach for) of Williams. His body control and hands are exactly what made him great. Not his height, weight, and 40-time. Did you get a chance to see Maxx play at all? It most definitely was not his speed and athleticism (well, body control is directly related to athleticism, but you get the point.....not his cone-drill....we're talking the ability to adjust on the fly).

If you think Duke is going to stroll in off an ACL, and from day 1 replace these other TEs who have been practicing/playing with Mitch, have contributed to huge victories, have played in multiple bowl games.....you're "ingorant." You really think Jerry (that's the Gopher's head football coach) is going to send that message?

I'm not saying Duke isn't going to be good player for the Gophers someday, and that he's never going to see the field. I hope to God he is a Mackey finalist, and he definitely was showing that potential before his ACL. I just don't think he's going to step and do it right away off an ACL. He won't even be the the starter until he puts his time in. Are you familiar with Jerry Kill (the Gopher's coach)? Gibson will have more time in on the practice field, physically working the system, let alone all the other guys who have been there for multiple seasons.

Try actually reading my "ignorance," before looking down from your unjustifiably high horse. I didn't remotely say that Duke's pre-injury size/athleticism isn't sufficient, besides breaking in his new ACL. I simply said he's not a "special," athlete at this level. There are many guys that size, who can move that way. But, if he doesn't have the body control, and hands (those are not my words, I think they're fine, that's from the analysis you called "spot on,") then he's not going to be a productive B1G starter, let alone seamlessly replace the best TE in the country (preposterous unto itself without the ACL, and said body control/hands analysis from die hard).

I don't think he's the starter because of a time served and chemistry issue. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to fully recover from an ACL injury. How will he respond mentally on the field? Some players are never the same again after serious injury. But, he has a chance to see the field a lot, and contribute, if the chips fall in the appropriate manner. I think the chances of that happening are slim, but not impossible. There is a much greater probability that I'm right......yet you call me "ignorant" (still convinced you don't really know what that word means, at least not in this scenario).

We'll revisit the starter at TE to open 2015, and I'll gladly take the "You were right, I was wrong," in writing. Actually, I want, "You weren't ignorant, I was, and always will be." I'll do the same if Duke opens the TE depth chart at #1. At first, it was just conversation between me and diehard (notice his calculated and intelligent response, with basis for his opinions.....not slinging insults....and calling a statement preposterous is not a personal insult, by the way. Highly intelligent people say preposterous things all the time. You wanted to make it passive-aggressively personal.)

We don't even know if Maxx is actually entering the NFL draft yet. If he comes back, I still want it in writing. Because you're still wrong. I'm making it my avatar photo.

"Ingnorance," huh? I didn't realize something subject to opinion at this point was so cut as dried as "ingorance." Let me check the defnition of ingorance......yep, still revolves around facts (knowledge and information), hasn't changed. One's opinion can be hindered by ignorance of fact. Except, in this case, the facts have not yet been revealed. As much as I appreciate being insulted as the next guy, this just has no basis. In fact, your "ignorant," about how to use the word "ignorant."

Nearly exact words (not taking the time to go back and quote): "Anywanwu is every bit the TE Maxx Williams is, except for body control and hands."

Take a second to think about what that actually means.

You call that spot on assessment (I'm totally enjoying your ignorance right now)? By that logic, there would be about 40 Mackey calibur TEs in the B1G alone. I'm 6'4" and 240, sitting at my desk with my belly hanging over my belt at 30, not having touched a pigskin since high school. Does that mean I'm every bit the TE Maxx Williams is, save for my ability to catch a freaking football? Again, You can pull guys off the street with size and athleticism (not me, by the way, so don't even go there, not what I'm saying, I know that's the first straw you'll reach for) of Williams. His body control and hands are exactly what made him great. Not his height, weight, and 40-time. Did you get a chance to see Maxx play at all? It most definitely was not his speed and athleticism (well, body control is directly related to athleticism, but you get the point.....not his cone-drill....we're talking the ability to adjust on the fly).

If you think Duke is going to stroll in off an ACL, and from day 1 replace these other TEs who have been practicing/playing with Mitch, have contributed to huge victories, have played in multiple bowl games.....you're "ingorant." You really think Jerry (that's the Gopher's head football coach) is going to send that message?

I'm not saying Duke isn't going to be good player for the Gophers someday, and that he's never going to see the field. I hope to God he is a Mackey finalist, and he definitely was showing that potential before his ACL. I just don't think he's going to step and do it right away off an ACL. He won't even be the the starter until he puts his time in. Are you familiar with Jerry Kill (the Gopher's coach)? Gibson will have more time in on the practice field, physically working the system, let alone all the other guys who have been there for multiple seasons.

Try actually reading my "ignorance," before looking down from your unjustifiably high horse. I didn't remotely say that Duke's pre-injury size/athleticism isn't sufficient, besides breaking in his new ACL. I simply said he's not a "special," athlete at this level. There are many guys that size, who can move that way. But, if he doesn't have the body control, and hands (those are not my words, I think they're fine, that's from the analysis you called "spot on,") then he's not going to be a productive B1G starter, let alone seamlessly replace the best TE in the country (preposterous unto itself without the ACL, and said body control/hands analysis from die hard).

I don't think he's the starter because of a time served and chemistry issue. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to fully recover from an ACL injury. How will he respond mentally on the field? Some players are never the same again after serious injury. But, he has a chance to see the field a lot, and contribute, if the chips fall in the appropriate manner. I think the chances of that happening are slim, but not impossible. There is a much greater probability that I'm right......yet you call me "ignorant" (still convinced you don't really know what that word means, at least not in this scenario).

We'll revisit the starter at TE to open 2015, and I'll gladly take the "You were right, I was wrong," in writing. Actually, I want, "You weren't ignorant, I was, and always will be." I'll do the same if Duke opens the TE depth chart at #1. At first, it was just conversation between me and diehard (notice his calculated and intelligent response, with basis for his opinions.....not slinging insults....and calling a statement preposterous is not a personal insult, by the way. Highly intelligent people say preposterous things all the time. You wanted to make it passive-aggressively personal.)

We don't even know if Maxx is actually entering the NFL draft yet. If he comes back, I still want it in writing. Because you're still wrong. I'm making it my avatar photo.

Weren't you leaving? I have that in writing.

FTR - I never said he was as good or would be as good as Maxx. I also didn't quote the "all but hands and body control" post. Assuming that I agreed with that statement just because I agreed with his follow-up (more detailed) post was...well...ignorant. I did, however, agree with DH that Duke was the best option on this team to replace Maxx. Not sure where the "starting from day 1" part came from - more stuff you made up - not unlike your lie that you were going to stop posting.

Bulldog - Below is the quote I called "spot on". None of which seems to apply to your novel. I guess putting words in my mouth to make some rant isn't ignorant, but it certainly is something.

Top Bottom