SOUND OFF! Post-Game Thread: Gophers Lose Heartbreaker to Hawkeyes, Again, Fleck Remains Winless vs Iowa.

I actually think we would like each other. Sorry I took a shot at your guy. Keep defending Fleck tho he’s a very innovative offensive mind.

We would be friends but I don't long for little boys like you. So that would be an issue for our relationship

Let me guess, the Gophers won on about every stat, except turnovers and the final score. This was no fluke. They choked it away. There were so many ways to come up with a win, even after the two turnovers.

It is simply ASTOUNDING to me that our offensive minds did not introduce ONE SINGLE WRINKLE to the offensive game plan for Iowa. Not one! We have had weeks to prepare for this defense which we knew was going to be tough. We did nothing more than what we do every week.

After Georgia beat the brakes off Tennessee and shut down their vaunted offense, Kirby Smart said that 3 weeks ago he told Will Muschamp to lock himself in a office and do nothing but game plan Tennessee. PJ should have had KC or and assistant do the same thing for the best defense in the league. Instead, they did NOTHING. I know you have some limitations with AK8 due to his inexperience, but you can’t curl up in the fetal position because of that inexperience. To recycle the exact same game plan you have trotted out there for 10 weeks is poor coaching, plain and simple.
And the squawkeyes watch film on how bad gopher linebackers can't defend the tight end up the middle passes I saw that all year how open that always is

I've been a Fleck defender, but I've about had enough. His massive fear of making mistakes in big games leads to be overly conservative => which leads to leaving no margin for error or playing from behind => which leads to the inevitable mistakes, even if only one or two, costing them the game. It's happened over and over and over and over again. It's getting old. The man needs to live his own motto and "change his best", and should have done that long ago.
Start of the game, first drive...4th and a short one...take a timeout and punt. Lost his team and the game right there.

MN played IA far better than WI did because the MN OC had a far better offensive plan than the WI OC did when WI played IA. The plan to send #24 outside when the IA CBs and ends crashed into the middle and throw the ball even deep in your territory and use the QB's legs.
All of that kept IA on its heels until someone decided to run #24 until his legs almost gave out and he was so tired that he fumbled.
I think the same game plan would give the WI defense trouble.
The IA defense rarely blitzes but the WI defense does.
It will be a fun game next week.

Fire Fleck crowd coming in hot after this game. I agree that he became too conservative in second half. But Mo was moving the ball. PJ has now lost to Iowa two straight games where we outplayed them. Agree that he needs to roll the dice more often against that team as history shows we are not likely to beat them at their game. That said, three plays tipped the game to Iowa…. Missed FG in first half, fumble in the red zone and late interception. Iowa executed and took advantage of their opportunities. Does that suck? Yes. Was it a coaching debacle that lost the game for us? No. We will find a replacement for Mo. Nothing about Iowa’s or Wisconsin’s trajectory makes me think we cannot compete with them or anyone else in the West. Next year’s schedule is a ball buster. We will regroup. Athan will bring a new dimension to our offense for the next 3 years. We will be playing meaningful games in November. Let’s get the axe next week.

Another wasted season. I've never been more apathetic with Gopher football than right now.

Maybe it's because we get so damn close now every year and find a way to fuck it up.
Correct they had an easier schedule should be no less then 10 wins this year wait till usc and ucla come in

Fire Fleck crowd coming in hot after this game. I agree that he became too conservative in second half. But Mo was moving the ball. PJ has now lost to Iowa two straight games where we outplayed them. Agree that he needs to roll the dice more often against that team as history shows we are not likely to beat them at their game. That said, three plays tipped the game to Iowa…. Missed FG in first half, fumble in the red zone and late interception. Iowa executed and took advantage of their opportunities. Does that suck? Yes. Was it a coaching debacle that lost the game for us? No. We will find a replacement for Mo. Nothing about Iowa’s or Wisconsin’s trajectory makes me think we cannot compete with them or anyone else in the West. Next year’s schedule is a ball buster. We will regroup. Athan will bring a new dimension to our offense for the next 3 years. We will be playing meaningful games in November. Let’s get the axe next week.
Needs to be upgrade at wide outs go find someone that can actually get open

I wonder if Fleck understands why MN fans are like we are? It's disappointment after disappointment. Same crap but different year.
Been watching this for 57 years once in a great while will be a blip of success then back to reality

Really impressive game by Mo Ibrahim against one of the better defenses in the country. Mo isn’t a fumbler but the odds are one is going to get punched out from time to time. Just unbelievable timing.

Trickett failed.
The defense failed at critical junctures.
AK failed at a critical juncture in the red zone and then was maybe a little late on the interception. Some missed running opportunities.

Iowa is really good IMO. Well-coached. Crazy good special teams. Opportunistic defense. Despite that I really believed the Gopher run game was going to grind them into oblivion in the fourth.

Rossi should get some blame here. PJ is who he is. Rebuilding year coming.
Iowa's TE's pretty much ran unchecked the whole game. Imagine if LaPorta didn't get injured? Did we sell out stopping the run with our LB's & over anxious safeties? Petra's probably had one of his better games but the TE's throws looked pretty easy.

We would be friends but I don't long for little boys like you. So that would be an issue for our relationship

Heather I’m not sure PJ needs you to carry the water for him. If things get tough Pj will still land on his feet. I was just joking about the Seville thing. There will be another sucker out there ready to hire PJ for way too much money.

That was so ugly. The last 2 seasons have been Fleck's worst seasons at Minnesota when you factor in expectations. It's so gross to watch. But here's the thing, either Fleck is telling Ciarrocca run or pass at times, or Ciarrocca got worse in his 2 years away (I don't think he has though, I think it's Fleck, could be wrong).

I have no interest in watching this team anymore. I feel bad for Athan K and the rest of the players. Our receivers must be junior college level. I know people will say good riddance but I could care less. Fleck has been a shit coach this year and is trending worse.

The play before Mo fumbled I said to my son, he's gassed. It was obvious to see. Zero creative play calling on offense. End of the first half, no urgency and then on 3rd and 1 they pass the ball. My God! That's where they lost the game. No rollouts, no creative play calls at all. Put Athan in a spot where he has to pass on 3rd down at the end of the game and just have him drop straight back. Just gross. Most disappointing season I can remember since Kill took over (which is when I started following closely). This team will probably lose 5 games. This team! That's the biggest underachievement of a Gopher team in a long, long time.

Playing not to lose and you lose. It happens so often. The Gophers get a TD at the end of the first half and it would have been a very different game.

Well, after calming down a bit from bitching endlessly in my mind about PJ...

If I'm to place the most blame for the Purdue loss on #22s failure to make a routine TD catch, then I need to place the most blame for this loss on Mo. The Gophs win the game if he doesn't fumble at the 10 yard line. Pretty cut and dry.

Still, the margin shouldn't have been that close in either game. The head coach's ongoing fear of making mistakes in big games has cost this team and wasted a generational running back's career.

I can’t believe it —lost $ again on this game! I’m beginning to think that as long as Ferentz is Iowa’s coach the Gophers will never beat them. Next year in I.C. —terrible. The Gophers had this game and crapped the bed !!!! 8 years in a row!

That was so ugly. The last 2 seasons have been Fleck's worst seasons at Minnesota when you factor in expectations. It's so gross to watch. But here's the thing, either Fleck is telling Ciarrocca run or pass at times, or Ciarrocca got worse in his 2 years away (I don't think he has though, I think it's Fleck, could be wrong).

I have no interest in watching this team anymore. I feel bad for Athan K and the rest of the players. Our receivers must be junior college level. I know people will say good riddance but I could care less. Fleck has been a shit coach this year and is trending worse.

The play before Mo fumbled I said to my son, he's gassed. It was obvious to see. Zero creative play calling on offense. End of the first half, no urgency and then on 3rd and 1 they pass the ball. My God! That's where they lost the game. No rollouts, no creative play calls at all. Put Athan in a spot where he has to pass on 3rd down at the end of the game and just have him drop straight back. Just gross. Most disappointing season I can remember since Kill took over (which is when I started following closely). This team will probably lose 5 games. This team! That's the biggest underachievement of a Gopher team in a long, long time.
You would think they could have put in some new offense to surprise iowa but just came out and did the same plays iowa new was coming g

And the squawkeyes watch film on how bad gopher linebackers can't defend the tight end up the middle passes I saw that all year how open that always is
Only 2 more games of PJs bobo 55. I think Gibbens last year had 25-30 flash plays 45 this year flashes —55 chases the other teams’ TEs and RBs into the end zone. I can’t remember a flash play by him past two years. Our D will miss Nubin but should be solid next year but we might have an Iowa like O.

MN played IA far better than WI did because the MN OC had a far better offensive plan than the WI OC did when WI played IA. The plan to send #24 outside when the IA CBs and ends crashed into the middle and throw the ball even deep in your territory and use the QB's legs.
All of that kept IA on its heels until someone decided to run #24 until his legs almost gave out and he was so tired that he fumbled.
I think the same game plan would give the WI defense trouble.
The IA defense rarely blitzes but the WI defense does.
It will be a fun game next week.
Mo didn't fumble because he was tired. He fumbled because he was trying to get the first down. He lunged forward with the ball to get it and the fumble happened.

Iowa's TE's pretty much ran unchecked the whole game. Imagine if LaPorta didn't get injured? Did we sell out stopping the run with our LB's & over anxious safeties? Petra's probably had one of his better games but the TE's throws looked pretty easy.
Iowa saw the film on gopher linebackers how bad they are at covering t e I have watch that all year

Distinct difference in how Iowa and Mn approached offense. Not afraid to throw it. Iowa te killed mn all game.
Or at least the Iowa TE knew how to get behind our LB.

The play before Mo fumbled I said to my son, he's gassed. It was obvious to see.
I think Mo was gassed, but I don’t think that is why he fumbled. It looked to me, and Brando said the same on the game broadcast, that Mo was moving to try and extend the ball for the first down. He was still almost 2 yards from the line to gain. Wasn’t a smart decision on his part. I still don’t think this single play cost is the game, but we were in field goal range and it was a gamble by him that didn’t pay off.

I think Mo was gassed, but I don’t think that is why he fumbled. It looked to me, and Brando said the same on the game broadcast, that Mo was moving to try and extend the ball for the first down. He was still almost 2 yards from the line to gain. Wasn’t a smart decision on his part. I still don’t think this single play cost is the game, but we were thinking n field goal range and it was a gamble by him that didn’t pay off.
It was his 14th carry on that drive. Trust me he was gassed and that contributed to the fumble.

I have never seen anyone coach as scared as Fleck does against Iowa. I’m impressed by his ability to lose to that shitty team every year.

Hopefully some dumb ass team wants to overpay Fleck. Go get a coach that can at least run a modern offense that can do that forward pass stuff.
Iowa has a miserable offense every year and they look like crap against every team until they play us. This same thing happened at Iowa City in 2019. How the hell the TE gets open for big plays is a mystery to me.

There was a thread about Iowa finding paydirt via the TE a day or two ago, and sure as shit they made play after play to the TE. even after #84 went out.

I think Mo was gassed, but I don’t think that is why he fumbled. It looked to me, and Brando said the same on the game broadcast, that Mo was moving to try and extend the ball for the first down. He was still almost 2 yards from the line to gain. Wasn’t a smart decision on his part. I still don’t think this single play cost is the game, but we were thinking n field goal range and it was a gamble by him that didn’t pay off.
Doesn't matter the gophers will always find a way to lose games like this get behind actually open up the offense then back to conservative and what happened to throwing to the tight end

Iowa has a miserable offense every year and they look like crap against every team until they play us. This same thing happened at Iowa City in 2019. How the hell the TE gets open for big plays is a mystery to me.

There was a thread about Iowa finding paydirt via the TE a day or two ago, and sure as shit they made play after play to the TE. even after #84 went out.
Because iowa watched film on how bad gopher linebackers can't defend the tight ends I have watch that all year

This! We were driving to at minimum go up 3........fumble

miss a chip shot

The ball deflects of them for an interception and we drop it. our interception chance. Of course, they don't drop theirs.

You just can't make it up.
The kicker proved he was worthless head case at Colorado last year and sure enough he came back to screw the team twice this year. CFB is not like the NFL, there are other kickers on the roster. This guy cost the team a lot over the years.

The kicker proved he was worthless head case at Colorado last year and sure enough he came back to screw the team twice this year. CFB is not like the NFL, there are other kickers on the roster. This guy cost the team a lot over the years.
Typical always find a way to miss kicks in big games it never ends

Top Bottom