SOUND OFF! Post-Game Thread: Gophers Lose Heartbreaker to Hawkeyes, Again, Fleck Remains Winless vs Iowa.

Mo is a dude and I will miss watching him more than any other Gopher player in my lifetime. Fleck coaches not to lose, this works against bad teams - not good teams. The football program is respected. I don’t want a new coach - I want Fleck to grow a pair.

I just can’t believe that I watch this cowardly act by Fleck against Iowa every year. Dude be more aggressive one time against these clowns. If you end up losing by two touchdowns at least you fucking tried. I haven’t posted in years but this is my fucking breaking point. Team is better than this.

Mo is a dude and I will miss watching him more than any other Gopher player in my lifetime. Fleck coaches not to lose, this works against bad teams - not good teams. The football program is respected. I don’t want a new coach - I want Fleck to grow a pair.
He’s just not going to do it. This is who he is. The only risk he took was marrying a stripper.

If we were more aggressive AK probably throws 3 ints. We were running great. Just couldn’t finish.

3 of the last 4 years, my head is always spinning on how we lost that game.

I just can’t believe that I watch this cowardly act by Fleck against Iowa every year. Dude be more aggressive one time against these clowns. If you end up losing by two touchdowns at least you fucking tried. I haven’t posted in years but this is my fucking breaking point. Team is better than this.
You would think with his record against Iowa that PJ would understand he needs to change if nothing else just for this game. He seems unwilling to do this.

If we were more aggressive AK probably throws 3 ints. We were running great. Just couldn’t finish.
This! We were driving to at minimum go up 3........fumble

miss a chip shot

The ball deflects of them for an interception and we drop it. our interception chance. Of course, they don't drop theirs.

You just can't make it up.

You would think with his record against Iowa that PJ would understand he needs to change if nothing else just for this game. He seems unwilling to do this.
Yeah it’s not going to change. Yes we can all rationalize that they made a couple plays and we didn’t but this game was lost in the first three quarters by running the most vanilla offense you will ever see throughout the game. Maybe we end up losing by 3 touchdowns but I would prefer to see that then grind Mo into the ground only to have him fumble on carry 72 of the game or whatever it was . Fleck plays an embarrassing brand of football. We aren’t the 1994 Cornhuskers here where we can just hand off to a felon and win by 45 every game.

Never beating Iowa is disgusting, but the most worrisome part? I don't see anybody you can point to and say he'll be really good next year in a group of 85 guys, including game changing incoming recruits. This might be the high point for awhile?

Well, maybe some people will emerge. A bigger problem is that we have a much tougher schedule next season.

Fleck is too stubborn. It appears he may never learn. You need to be able to do more than run the ball. Iowa beat us because they had a couple of big plays in the passing game.
I don’t think he is stubborn, I think he is dumb.

I don’t think PJ will ever get it done here. 7-8 wins will be the norm, I fear.
That’s honestly ok with me just don’t coach like a coward and beat a crappy Iowa team at home once in a while. Mix in a 9-10 win season every blue moon and that’s great. As is he just isn’t worth the salary he’s paid. This team is boring.

All of Fleck's game management tactics support the type of ending we had today for a game like this. It works against terrible defenses, but not against average or good ones. Somehow Fleck doesn't get this. We deserved this.

Absolutely SUCKS. You HAVE to win that game...at home, rival having a down year, their QB's middle name is "much-maligned." You HAVE to win that game.
notably, Ferentz let their much-maligned QB throw the ball, which directly led to all of their 13 points. We passed to great effect in early downs. Couldn’t pass in forced downs. Guess which path we chose for the loss?

PJ is a marginal recruiter, a terrible game coach, a bit of a clown, and puts a product out there straight out of the 60’s but for the shotgun formation. Even the games we win can be brutally boring to watch. I see very little upside when Mo leaves next year might really suck. It’s just unfortunate that we continue to have a parade of middling head coaches we aren’t cursed we make our own bed and then complain about it when it doesn’t go better. Mostly any other coach in America on the head sets for us today and we win that game.

We need a much better punter and punt defense if we are going to play this way next year.
this. If we want to play like Iowa, then be like Iowa.

Really impressive game by Mo Ibrahim against one of the better defenses in the country. Mo isn’t a fumbler but the odds are one is going to get punched out from time to time. Just unbelievable timing.

Trickett failed.
The defense failed at critical junctures.
AK failed at a critical juncture in the red zone and then was maybe a little late on the interception. Some missed running opportunities.

Iowa is really good IMO. Well-coached. Crazy good special teams. Opportunistic defense. Despite that I really believed the Gopher run game was going to grind them into oblivion in the fourth.

Rossi should get some blame here. PJ is who he is. Rebuilding year coming.

Last edited:

Well, maybe some people will emerge. A bigger problem is that we have a much tougher schedule next season.
Certainly the schedule is tough and certainly some guys will emerge but it's rare one of those guys emerging is going from anonymous to Heisman chatter. The guys emerging will fill roles. Got no big knockers, no NFL draft buzz guys etc...not even guys who don't live up to the hype....nobody is expected to be "really" good.

Top Bottom