Souhan tweets that Kill is a liar

I'll take the flip side here. Please don't think I'm trying to defend Souhan here because I wouldn't have used the term "lying" for what Kill did but am I the only one who thinks Kill was a little disingenuous in how he portrayed the way he was treating his epilepsy? He goes from saying in the 10/04/13 NY Times article that he was following the plan of doctors including Dr. Leppik to changing his diet, getting more sleep, working less, walking, etc. to now admitting that he was burning the candle at both ends, getting only 2-3 hours of sleep, eating peanuts and a can of Diet Coke for a meal, etc.

Here are Kill's own words from the Maisel/ ESPN article: So, he listened to the doctors, something he had always refused to do. If you're an epileptic, and you want to have a seizure, you should get as little sleep as possible, eat poorly and subject yourself to enormous stress. "Putting a Band-Aid on it," as Kill described ignoring the protocols, turned out to be a poor answer.

The clear implication here from these recent articles is that Coach Kill did not change his ways until he missed the Michigan game.

While I have been and will remain a Kill supporter, that doesn't mean that I can't be objective and come to an opinion that Kill certainly wasn't doing all he could be for his own health prior to the Michigan game. Around that time on some Gopherhole threads I was one of only a couple of people who wondered if Kill was doing all he could to follow the health protocol (for which I was called an idiot by a couple of posters) and now Kill admits that he wasn't.

I'm old enough to know that humans are not perfect or infallible. I'm sure Coach Kill would say the same thing. The important thing here is it seems that Kill finally learned that this is not something that can be taken lightly and he needs to focus on his health more to try and avoid what triggers his seizures. If he's learned that I'm proud of him for finally taking the right steps on the road to improved health. Us fans need him, the players need him, the program needs him, and his family needs him. I salute you Coach for getting over your self proclaimed stubborn ways, here's hoping you many years of improved health.

I'll put it too you like this since I've had seizures, but never diagnosed with epilepsy. You always think you're doing enough to treat them and then you have the next one and you have to figure out where you screwed up you routine. With me, it's usually forgetting to take my pills, not enough sleep or combination of both. The point is when you're trying control your seizures you always think you're doing enough.

I'll put it too you like this since I've had seizures, but never diagnosed with epilepsy. You always think you're doing enough to treat them and then you have the next one and you have to figure out where you screwed up you routine. With me, it's usually forgetting to take my pills, not enough sleep or combination of both. The point is when you're trying control your seizures you always think you're doing enough.

Yeah, taking meds at the prescribed time is highly important, and lack of sleep is often a trigger. Anyone in Kill's role would have a more difficult time in ensuring that those two factors, and in addition stress, are being adhered to appropriately. What you want to do, and what you (outside of the condition) think you ought to do are at odds with the treatment. As a head coach, Kill will constantly be in a state of trial and error to balance all factors. I *think* and hope he is now in the trial and mostly success side of the equation.

To the tweet in general, as others have stated, it has to be about attention now. Souhan desperately wants to be right - and he wants to say he was the first to point out how Kill cannot manage the condition. He wants local and national notoriety, in hopes it makes him more relevant. However, he is going about it wrong. Nationally, this is a flash in the pan, and he will only gain (if anything) a short term boost in relevancy. Locally, he has lost all credibility to frame the situation in his favor. His best bet is to let it go, and if five years down the road is proven right, might be able to tread lightly on the 'I told you so' angle.

At this point, I really do want him to be fired. I was not in that camp initially - he made a very poor choice to publish the first article, and then did not step away. As others have said, he is tripling down on his position, and I find it inexcusable. I would have lost a lot of respect from him (long-term) from the initial events. Now it is totally gone. I can never support him. And while I planned to not click on any of his articles for at least a couple years, I am now dead-set against him. As a person.

That to me is just as admirable as "playing hurt".

I'm going to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to anything I perceive as taking the wrong side on issues related to JK. When I read some of the things you stated in your initial post in this thread, where you tried to make it clear you were NOT siding with Souhan, then basically said you're in agreement with some of Souhan's takes on this, and the next thing we know, shots are fired. I was also offended by your "disingenuous" remarks.

I read your post in "For those who can't be at the game thread." Touching story. You don't need my permission to be a fan of this program or JK in whatever way suits you. The written word can easily be misconstrued and perhaps it sounded a bit too much like Souhan's "I like Jerry Kill" comments. Souhan's writing leaves no doubt what kind of character he has. JK isn't much of a writer and when he speaks, there isn't much doubt in my mind about his character. Sorry if I was too hard on you. Please forgive me.

The point is when you're trying control your seizures you always think you're doing enough.

...or doing "better." Like 15 more minutes of sleep a week. lol. He looks markedly and progressively better the last few weeks, so something seems to be working. I think the players and coaches sincerely want to stick it up everyone's tail end for Kill. How can they possibly keep their emotions in check Saturday. I'm ready to run through a wall myself. lol

I'm going to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to anything I perceive as taking the wrong side on issues related to JK. When I read some of the things you stated in your initial post in this thread, where you tried to make it clear you were NOT siding with Souhan, then basically said you're in agreement with some of Souhan's takes on this, and the next thing we know, shots are fired. I was also offended by your "disingenuous" remarks.

I read your post in "For those who can't be at the game thread." Touching story. You don't need my permission to be a fan of this program or JK in whatever way suits you. The written word can easily be misconstrued and perhaps it sounded a bit too much like Souhan's "I like Jerry Kill" comments. Souhan's writing leaves no doubt what kind of character he has. JK isn't much of a writer and when he speaks, there isn't much doubt in my mind about his character. Sorry if I was too hard on you. Please forgive me.

No offense taken, I admire your loyalty to Coach Kill and the Gophers. As I said in that thread he is one heck of a man. Perhaps after we beat our common enemy the Badgers you could join me in body or spirit in raising a beer and toasting the victory, Coach Kill, and my brother.

I can't believe you guys, you are ruining Jim's second date chances. After a first date, and Jim tells the date he works for the Strib as a columnist, said date goes home and googles Jim Souhan all this will come up. Hope you guys are proud of yourselves. Keep up the good work I love it. ?

I don't think Kill was lying at all about his health this summer. He was eating better, resting better, exercising more, lost a lot of weight, and looked the best he's looked in years. I remember seeing him on TV doing interviews during fall camp thinking "wow, he looks fantastic." He openly talked about the fact his seizures had decreased, did some interviews on how he changed his lifestyle with Shaver on KARE, and Rick Reilly and Joe C. There is absolutely little doubt that Kill's health was very good this summer.

Then, the season started, and he likely got back into his old habits of no sleep, poor eating, increased stress, etc. I remember seeing him after the New Mexico State game on TV and thinking he looked awful and wondering what the heck happened. And, lo and behold, he had his a seizure the next week in the Western Illinois game. And, then the rest is history.

In my opinion, Souhan is entirely in the wrong to suggest Kill was lying. Anyone who was paying attention could see Kill was in much better health during the summer months when he was doing these interviews. Obviously, Souhan doesn't pay attention to the Gophers much, so that's his likely excuse.

Yep. So Zulgad is just trolling. And it's also just as likely he's had NO IDEA Limegrover has been calling plays all season which speaks to his level of local college football knowledge.

Limegover has not only been calling plays THIS SEASON, but Limegrover has been calling plays for Kill for more than TEN SEASONS. And, Judd openly wonders why Gopher fans are a bit sensitive to things he says. As most of us say, we don't need media to be Gopher lapdogs, but we sure as hell should expect them to at least have some basic knowledge of the team if they're going to rip the team. And, Judd rarely has his facts in order, which leads to very generic and uninformed opinions that are usually negative on the Gophers.

The irony in all of this, is Judd and Souhan always talk about how sensitive and defensive Gopher fans are. Yet, if someone says/tweets/posts something negative on those two guys, and watch out. There are likely not two more sensitive, thin-skinned trolls out there than Judd and Souhan. It is kind of embarrassing and probably, in part, the reason the ratings on their shows stink.

I guess I don't necessarily equate denial with lying, seems to me to be the giant leap Souhan is making. Both he and Judd get incredibly bent out of shape by local coaches and players being evasive, they act like every coach owes them the response the want every time the stick mic in their face or sit down to interview them. They're not exposing lying or corruption by government officials, they report, write and talks out sports; where the best coaches are almost always evasive. I feel like Souhan writes to the 60+year old woman who has limited knowledge of the inner workings of pro or college sports.

Limegover has not only been calling plays THIS SEASON, but Limegrover has been calling plays for Kill for more than TEN SEASONS. And, Judd openly wonders why Gopher fans are a bit sensitive to things he says. As most of us say, we don't need media to be Gopher lapdogs, but we sure as hell should expect them to at least have some basic knowledge of the team if they're going to rip the team. And, Judd rarely has his facts in order, which leads to very generic and uninformed opinions that are usually negative on the Gophers.

The irony in all of this, is Judd and Souhan always talk about how sensitive and defensive Gopher fans are. Yet, if someone says/tweets/posts something negative on those two guys, and watch out. There are likely not two more sensitive, thin-skinned trolls out there than Judd and Souhan. It is kind of embarrassing and probably, in part, the reason the ratings on their shows stink.
I kind of wonder where Dubay sits in all this. Does he just have to sit there and agree with everything those two say, knowing he really has no place else to go?

I guess I don't necessarily equate denial with lying, seems to me to be the giant leap Souhan is making. Both he and Judd get incredibly bent out of shape by local coaches and players being evasive, they act like every coach owes them the response the want every time the stick mic in their face or sit down to interview them. They're not exposing lying or corruption by government officials, they report, write and talks out sports; where the best coaches are almost always evasive. I feel like Souhan writes to the 60+year old woman who has limited knowledge of the inner workings of pro or college sports.

This is so true.

Zulgad's classic was during the BB coach search. Stated that while he can understand why Teague wants to keep the search private, "when the rumors start he has to publicly address them"...................................................Think about that Judd.

ltprMLA.jpg

Needs more snark. and fitness.

No offense taken, I admire your loyalty to Coach Kill and the Gophers. As I said in that thread he is one heck of a man. Perhaps after we beat our common enemy the Badgers you could join me in body or spirit in raising a beer and toasting the victory, Coach Kill, and my brother.

Killme isn't a gophers fan, he's a Jerry kill fan.

Killme isn't a gophers fan, he's a Jerry kill fan.

That's half true, half false, lakesgopher. Being a JK fan makes me a very supportive Gopher football fan. I'm also a fan of his staff, and, of course the players. Wanting the leader of the program to succeed results in a trickle down effect that also can extend beyond the borders of the football program.

I was thinking Kevin Spacey. He does assh0le/smarmy well.

Plus, if we know anything about Kevin Spacey, it's that he's extremely FIT! Just watch him pump iron in American Beauty or hit the row machine in House of Cards. Dude is FIT! Like, VERY FIT!

Your giving him way too much credit. He is trying to get attention not sabotage the team. And frankly if something like this would be enough to knock the players off their game they wouldn't have had a shot to win in the first place.

Amen.

I'm not defending Souhan here (although I really find it hilarious that he riles this place up to the extent that he does), but that's the state of the modern sports media. We have entire websites (including this one) dedicated to athletic enterprises and with the advent of twitter and the like, constant attention is paid to the minuscule machinations of sports teams and sports personalities. In that respect, Souhan is simply a cog in a machine that provides a perspective to fans who constantly what more, more, more. I readily participate as a fairly active poster here and at other sports-related sites, so I'm the "pot calling the kettle black" to a great extent, but Souhan is employed on a newspaper sports page and a sports-related radio station to generate business and if the reaction to his tweet is any reaction, he's succeeding at what he is being paid to do.

When things like this happen, just think of the entire world as the World Wrestling Federation and it all makes a lot more sense.

If Kill was a liar about properly treating his epilepsy then at least it ought to be understood that he was also lying to himself and it took the seizure pre Michigan for him to realize it. There was nothing malevolent about this, like wanting to snow the media, fans, players, or school administration. I think Jerry Kill honestly believed he had things under control and it took something big to make him understand that just wasn't the case.

Top Bottom