So do we love PJ again?

PJ'S not out of the doghouse until he beats Iowa and Wisconsin regularly.

This is why there were those of us so adamant that it was not time to even be floating the idea of firing Fleck early in the season.

There are fans that get so over the top after wins and loses and want to make drastic decisions. Need to let the season play out and judge things on the whole body of work so that you don't over react to the good or bad in the moment.
If the body of work is only the current season then the 2019 talk needs to stop.

If the body of work is only the current season then the 2019 talk needs to stop.
Not what I meant at all. In season firings should only happen in extreme cases, especially ones really early in the year. Those calling for Fleck to be fired were being foolish. You judge the coaches full body of work which would include the entire current season which unless I am wrong is still not over yet.

I’m torn. On one hand, he’s given the Gophers more marquee moments than any coach in decades. On the other hand, his play style puts us on such a razor’s edge that one bad quarter can kill any chances of winning, even against the worst opponents. But, when that play style works, we get games like last night.

Ultimately, I feel like I need to see a reduction in “stinker” games; there seems to be one each year. If we can go the rest of the seasons with two losses or less (Illinois and Penn State), I’ll feel good about Fleck for the foreseeable future.
I can’t fight the feeling that this Gopher team is built to cause all kinds of problems for Illinois this season. Just a hunch, of course, but I think this Gopher team will really brawl with the stinking illini when “…push comes to shove…”

Get the ball to the Gopher RBs in space and watch them do their stuff!

Disagree strongly.
Had the lead. Getting the ball at half.

His number one goal was to not give them the ball back. Once the math moved to them not getting the ball back he moved to his second goal of scoring.
If the best player on the offense hadn’t fumbled they’d have attempted a field goal attempt.

The fumble was a bad play but the clock management there was really good IMO. We just disagree about strategy I guess.
If we have the ball, shouldn't us scoring be the primary goal?

Not in all situations
Even you agree with that as I assume you say sometimes teams should punt
Sometimes teams should take a knee literally
Absolutely. Punting obviously makes sense in many fourth down situations, and I can accept that there can be little enough time you'd rather kneel out the clock than chuck up a hail mary.

My thoughts relate more to 2-3 minutes at the end if the half. In that situation, I would rather a team run the two minute drill with the goal of maximizing the chances to get in the end zone. If we get stopped on a third down and kick a field goal, fine. But I'd hate to see a team settle for a field goal because they ran out of time after trying to milk the clock out of fear of the other team getting the ball back. If we don't have enough time to get to the end zone, why are we afraid that the other team would be able to use that same time to put together a TD drive of their own?

Just sharing my general thoughts on strategy in a certain situation, not looking to poo poo the coaching after a game where the staff put together a game plan that won us a big upset victory against a highly ranked opponent.

PJ'S not out of the doghouse until he beats Iowa and Wisconsin regularly.
Then you have to give him multiple years to make that happen.

I look at it this way. Fleck is entering the time of his life where he could be (age wise) a father to these kids. IMO the era of NIL and having transient coaches or being a transient/transaction coach is not going to be the way to be successful.

Back to back sellouts, student section that loves him, and ability to fill holes on the roster through portal. There is no need to consider a change.

Top Bottom