So do we love PJ again?

I admittedly thought the Fleck era was over at halftime of the Michigan game. And Fleck is far from perfect, his ultra-conservative style has hurt us plenty.

But he has built a culture that attracts talent we often retain, which is crucial in the NIL era. I’d much rather have Fleck improve than have to find someone new. And yesterday was a sign of improvement.

Sports fandom is funny because it evokes so much emotion in people, but they have zero control of the outcome.

Fans feel control in two ways:

1. Calling for the coach to be fired
2. Proclaiming that they're "done with the program" or "giving up their tickets"

What do you we see happen after every bad game?

There's no real compelling argument to replace the head coach at this time. The program is doing better than it has in 40 years, even if the last couple of season have been a bit down.

I could live with it if they didn't score on 4th and 1, and lost. If you're going to go down, go down swinging.
If they kicked the field goal and won, I'd have understood, but wouldn't have liked it. If they kick and lost anyway, I'd still be filled with rage.
This was so refreshing to me that PJ finally decided to “go for the win” I hope he learns to keep doing this

I had to attend a family wedding yesterday so gave away my tix and was only able to see the final 6 minutes on my phone with no volume. 🤷‍♂️. Seeing PJ finally allow the offense to play, and the aggressive play calling was so welcome. I doubt I will ever be a fan of PJ but he could have just saved the season by giving his players a chance. I think that is what many “haters” have been looking for. Lots of winnable games left on the schedule. Time will tell if this was a trend or a blip. Go Gophers!
Sorry for your loss ☹️

Oddly enough, thst might have won us the game. I’m with you, it was terrible process, but if PJ hadn’t milked the clock on his own 2 minute drill, USC might score a TD there and it’s a different game.

That’s said, I do agree with you. When he calls a terrified game, the players tighten up.
Disagree strongly.
Had the lead. Getting the ball at half.

His number one goal was to not give them the ball back. Once the math moved to them not getting the ball back he moved to his second goal of scoring.
If the best player on the offense hadn’t fumbled they’d have attempted a field goal attempt.

The fumble was a bad play but the clock management there was really good IMO. We just disagree about strategy I guess.

I think it’s fine to vent.
I think it’s fine to question what was happening with the program.

I think it was ridiculous to be saying he’s gotta be out RIGHT NOW
yeah.....fans over react but it got pretty foolish around here after the NC game.

Thats not an official trophy and is used for a hospital fund raiser. Nebraska literally threw the original trophy away because they thought it was stupid.
Seriously dude.....if you are not having fun as a Gopher fan right now then find something else to do. Has it been a frustrating up and down season so far?....yep but we just knocked off the #11 team in the country so enjoy it and save the bitching and complaining until after the next loss.

Seriously dude.....if you are not having fun as a Gopher fan right now then find something else to do. Has it been a frustrating up and down season so far?....yep but we just knocked off the #11 team in the country so enjoy it and save the bitching and complaining until after the next loss.
Some people just truly enjoy being unhappy.

Disagree strongly.
Had the lead. Getting the ball at half.

His number one goal was to not give them the ball back. Once the math moved to them not getting the ball back he moved to his second goal of scoring.
If the best player on the offense hadn’t fumbled they’d have attempted a field goal attempt.

The fumble was a bad play but the clock management there was really good IMO. We just disagree about strategy I guess.
I’m not sure the math shifted.

We had the ball at the 30 yard line with three tineouts and 1:50 to go in the half. If we go three and out, USC gets the ball back in about the exact same position as us with less time on the clock. Assuming we’re just as likely to turn it over as them, it’s a wash - and that’s not even factoring in the chance we have to move the ball and/or score. My point is that I can’t envision a scenario where they were more likely to get points, mathematically, than us when we had the ball at the 30 with timeouts.

Got it that's already been well discussed here.

but I should be happy about 3-3 and an empty rivalry trophy case?
I’m not going to tell you what should make you happy but beating USC in an exciting game on a Saturday night makes me happy. Is it the pinnacle? I hope not. But if you’re like me and you let sports break your heart, you have to enjoy the good times too. Last night was good.

Thats not an official trophy and is used for a hospital fund raiser. Nebraska literally threw the original trophy away because they thought it was stupid.

What exactly makes it "official"? Everybody likes the chair. Not an empty trophy case. Sorry.

I’m not sure the math shifted.

We had the ball at the 30 yard line with three tineouts and 1:50 to go in the half. If we go three and out, USC gets the ball back in about the exact same position as us with less time on the clock. Assuming we’re just as likely to turn it over as them, it’s a wash - and that’s not even factoring in the chance we have to move the ball and/or score. My point is that I can’t envision a scenario where they were more likely to get points, mathematically, than us when we had the ball at the 30 with timeouts.
Once UsC had used timeouts the gophers had the ability to throw on early down and still kneel it out if unsuccessful

That’s how math changed

I could be misremembering

It was a Quality win, good job. didn't think PJ could get it done.

Top Bottom