So do we love PJ again?

Trying to evaluate a team/program/coach based on a 5 game stretch is a fools errand

There should now be zero talk of a move this season short of a 3-9 finish.
But I still think he’s gotta inspire confidence of future 9+ win seasons in the next two (now 1.5 left) seasons.

Doesn’t have to do it. But if at the end of 2025 you look at the program and think the ceiling isn’t 9+ wins anymore…that’s when you make a move.

As it is, the gophers are about 3-5 plays away from being 5-1 with UCLA and 4 50-50 games on the schedule.
Make a of field goal, convert that onside kick and finish with a score and the team enters the playoff conversation with yesterdays win.

They didn’t though. Is the trend we are on to win games like this or lose. It was looking like lose for a while until last night. Hopefully we are back on track.

This is why there were those of us so adamant that it was not time to even be floating the idea of firing Fleck early in the season.

There are fans that get so over the top after wins and loses and want to make drastic decisions. Need to let the season play out and judge things on the whole body of work so that you don't over react to the good or bad in the moment.
I think it’s fine to vent.
I think it’s fine to question what was happening with the program.

I think it was ridiculous to be saying he’s gotta be out RIGHT NOW

3-3 (1-2 B1G record) 1 P5 win, 0-2 in rivalry games and everyone is ready to give him an extension. The bar is pretty low for being a UMN coach.

I try not to be one of these black or white thinkers. He isn’t all good or all bad.

So no, this doesn’t make everything all ok. However, PJ deserves credit when he deserves credit, and this is one of those moments…and we haven’t had a lot of these the past few years.

Nice one PJ - the rest of the year is simply a test to see if you can grow.

For the most part, he coached competently and aggressively yesterday. That’s improvement.

How Fleck handled the end of the first half following the fumble recovery was again terrible, and could have cost us the game. USC probably felt they'd won the lottery when we came out with running plays after that. However to Fleck's credit, he ditched the terrified coach act after the 4th quarter turnover and came out guns blazing. It yielded results and was a fun way to win, so maybe, just maybe, he's learned to trust his players for next time.
Oddly enough, thst might have won us the game. I’m with you, it was terrible process, but if PJ hadn’t milked the clock on his own 2 minute drill, USC might score a TD there and it’s a different game.

That’s said, I do agree with you. When he calls a terrified game, the players tighten up.

You might want to re-read that guy’s post. He said he thinks this will get him an extension but that he is NOT for it.

So the only person who brought up an extension agrees with you, this should not warrant an extension.
Maybe I need to start another poll to see the actual results.

Either way you guys are arguing about what I said about an extension, but 3-3 in year 8 is not something I'm amazed with.

He probably will get a one year extension every year he stays. That’s just kind of the way it works.
But I don’t think he’s going to get a raise or increased buyout.
You might want to re-read that guy’s post. He said he thinks this will get him an extension but that he is NOT for it.

So the only person who brought up an extension agrees with you, this should not warrant an extension.

Either way you guys are arguing about what I said about an extension, but 3-3 in year 8 is not something I'm amazed with.
We aren’t arguing.
We are simply saying you’re winning a debate with no one

I get GH is for the hard core fan, but a huge buy out means he's not going anywhere so it means diddly despite some sounding like it's actually our decision. I liked the new aggressiveness on offense and that defense was fun to watch as they were flying around. USC has some scary good players on offense. Enjoying the moment.

No one is amazed, but not sure what you expect from a coach in his 8th year here. Do people really think we can easily find a coach that would just be like a consistent playoff contender after 7 years with no down seasons? There’s plenty of longer tenured coaches at other schools that are also 3-3 or worse this year.

No one is amazed, but not sure what you expect from a coach in his 8th year here. Do people really think we can easily find a coach that would just be like a consistent playoff contender after 7 years with no down seasons? There’s plenty of longer tenured coaches at other schools that are also 3-3 or worse this year.

So 3-3 and an empty rivalry trophy case is our ceiling and I should be satisfied with that?

Yeah. I’m back. I know, I’m a hypocrite because I was out on him after Iowa but I’m back.

As annoying as he can be, he has provided more games like this to me than any other Gopher coach in my life.
Ditto, I'll eat some crow. Like everyone else, I so desperately want to see a consistent winner here and whatever it was that our offense was putting out there to start the season made me so flipping angry. Plus having to drive three hours home after the second half against Iowa in year eight... I needed to step away a bit. Last week brought some hope back, this weekend was a shot in the arm that I needed. I'm fully on board until we lose another explicable one which is absolutely on the menu with PJ lol

This has been a roller coaster of a season already. Some have written PJ off (not a criticism). This was a great win and seems to rejuvenate things, but there is still a lot of season left. If we can build on this PJ’s seat cools of tremendously. But, we need to make a bowl for me to go all in on PJ.
We’re going on an Epic Run

So 3-3 and an empty rivalry trophy case is our ceiling and I should be satisfied with that?
Who said that is our ceiling? Just saying you’ll never be satisfied if your expectations are unrealistic.

I had to attend a family wedding yesterday so gave away my tix and was only able to see the final 6 minutes on my phone with no volume. 🤷‍♂️. Seeing PJ finally allow the offense to play, and the aggressive play calling was so welcome. I doubt I will ever be a fan of PJ but he could have just saved the season by giving his players a chance. I think that is what many “haters” have been looking for. Lots of winnable games left on the schedule. Time will tell if this was a trend or a blip. Go Gophers!

Trying to evaluate a team/program/coach based on a 5 game stretch is a fools errand

There should now be zero talk of a move this season short of a 3-9 finish.
But I still think he’s gotta inspire confidence of future 9+ win seasons in the next two (now 1.5 left) seasons.

Doesn’t have to do it. But if at the end of 2025 you look at the program and think the ceiling isn’t 9+ wins anymore…that’s when you make a move.

As it is, the gophers are about 3-5 plays away from being 5-1 with UCLA and 4 50-50 games on the schedule.
Make a of field goal, convert that onside kick and finish with a score and the team enters the playoff conversation with yesterdays win.

They didn’t though. Is the trend we are on to win games like this or lose. It was looking like lose for a while until last night. Hopefully we are back on track.
No doubt they could have a couple more wins this year. Hopefully back on track and it would be great if they didn’t have a big letdown game like they have historically had. That was a huge win last night and I hope they build on it.

Keep shifting your argument. We can’t beat Wisconsin?
Shifting argument? My message you responded to was talking about an empty trophy case. You didn't have to respond.

Also my first post here mentioned being 0-2 in rivalry games. But nice excuse.

Prior to the season, this was the game that I wanted to see the team win the most. Maybe tied with Wisconsin.

Shifting argument? My message you responded to was talking about an empty trophy case. You didn't have to respond.

08ba175bd517b723b3e0d27c63e9c2ba.gif

Ok, act like we should be on OSU’s level and losing to Michigan and Iowa is totally unreasonable for this program.

Ok, act like we should be on OSU’s level and losing to Michigan and Iowa is totally unreasonable for this program.
Where did I say OSU level?

Wouldn't of taken a OSU level team to beat Michigan this year.

Where did I say OSU level?

Wouldn't have taken a OSU level team to beat Michigan this year.
Just Washington, who lost to Rutgers level.

I think PJs biggest issue is consistency. His highs have been very impressive highs (in terms of wins and seasons), but his teams completely lay eggs at very inopportune times including in rivalry games

Top Bottom