Sid: I've been covering Gophs for 70 years, Mason firing was one of most unfair ever

Season Receptions School History
1: Decker 84 (2008)
2: Decker 67 (2007)
3: Wheelwright 66 (2007)

Wheelwright had season highs in catches, yards and TDs with Brewster/Weber.

If he would've stayed healthy, Decker would've beat his own single season record by at least 40 catches in 2008.

Wouldn't all the numbers above be lower under Mason?

Yes.

post-57573-james-franco-wait-what-gif-Img-Ej8P.gif

You might be confusing Gutey with John Grunseth.

OMG...LMAO. Only RTW.

OMG...LMAO. Only RTW.

To be fair to Ruppert, there were rumors about something similar with Gutey, but it was when he was a Coach out in Carolina. After he left Minnesota.

And only rumors unlike the pictures they had with Grunseth.

During the better Glen Mason years, his system put up huge overall numbers in terms of yardage and touchdowns. It does not really matter if Decker and Wheelwright had a lot of catches under Dunbar Brewster.

The offensive production of the Mason teams is part of the record. Look up the passing yard, total touchdowns, and rushing yardage.

The point was that if the 2007 Mason team had passing threats, and that meant with a decent O line, they would have run the ball 50 times a game for huge gains with a few big passing plays mixed in. Jack Simmons was the TE I referred to earlier, and he would have done massive damage with Weber.

The Mason 2007 team was poised to win anywhere from 7 to 9 wins and that is a fact. Brewster won 1 game.

Amir Pinnix may have run wild, or he might have moved Valentine back to TB. One of the recruits might have turned into the next L. Maroney in that system. We will never know.

The original ignoramus stated it would have been a 4-8 year and that is a fallacy.

The 2003 Gopher football team under Mason had the stats below.

Rushing yards 4039, PPG, 38.9, passing yards 2671 total yardage 6,400 yards for the year less sacks

2007 Brewster team:

Rushing yard 1949, PPG, 26.2 passing yards, 2949 total yardage 4,890

I'll take 6400 yards and 530 points over 4800 yards and 315 points any day of the week no matter how may 3 yard catches the WRs have.

Mason, Browning, and Shaw would have figured out how to do it again. The finger needs to be pointed at one Joel Maturi, who meddled and did not support is coach as Tom Moe and Mark Dienhardt did. Maturi also did not have a backbone and let his president run him over.

The point was that if the 2007 Mason team had passing threats, and that meant with a decent O line, they would have run the ball 50 times a game for huge gains with a few big passing plays mixed in. Jack Simmons was the TE I referred to earlier, and he would have done massive damage with Weber.

The Mason 2007 team was poised to win anywhere from 7 to 9 wins and that is a fact. Brewster won 1 game.

Amir Pinnix may have run wild, or he might have moved Valentine back to TB. One of the recruits might have turned into the next L. Maroney in that system. We will never know.

The original ignoramus stated it would have been a 4-8 year and that is a fallacy.

These are the real facts about Mason's recruiting in 2004, 2005, 2006. Brewster had to start 3 RS Freshmen and 6 True Freshman when they played Michigan. Because he would have had better assistant coaches, Mason might have finished 4 - 8 in 2007 but it would have been highly doubtful.

Gopher's starting line-up against Michigan at The Big House in 2007 - Brewster's First Year

Pos ## Offense

WR 1 Wheelwright, E. - Senior
WR 7 Decker, Eric - Sophmore
LT 64 Shidell, Steve - Senior
LG 52 Tow-Arnett,Jeff - Sophmore
C 77 Brinkhaus, Tony - Senior
QB 8 Weber, Adam - RS Freshman
LG 53 Burris, D.J. - RS Freshman
RT 76 Alford, Dominic - RS Freshman
WR 81 Spry, Ralph - True Freshman
WR 6 Herndon, Tray - True Freshman
RB 22 Bennett, Duane - True Freshman

Pos ## Defense

LE Henderson, Ray - Sophmore
LT Allen, Neel - Senior
RT Meisel, Todd - Senior
RE Campbell, Lee - Sophmore
SLB Davis, Steve - Junior
MLB Hightower, Deon - Junior
WLB Mannion, Kevin - Junior
SS Barber, Dom - Senior
CB Theret, Kyle - True Freshman
CB Collado, Ryan - True Freshman
FS Thomas, Curtis - True Freshman

Brewster is 100 percent responsible for the team he put on the field not Glen Mason.

Mason would have housed those 3 cupcakes, and crushed a couple more Big Ten doormats. Mason would have won two or four more games beyond that with his power rushing, clock control game, maybe against a good team.

Stop with all the recruiting BS Mason did not have an underperforming team after 2001. He almost always destroyed the NC teams and lower Big Ten teams. he also won once in a while vs., the top BT Teams.

Brewster owns 1-11 not Mason, get over it.

During the better Glen Mason years, his system put up huge overall numbers in terms of yardage and touchdowns. It does not really matter if Decker and Wheelwright had a lot of catches under Dunbar Brewster.

The offensive production of the Mason teams is part of the record. Look up the passing yard, total touchdowns, and rushing yardage.

I don't think you know what the word "fact" means.

I'm thinking Mase would have gone 12-0 in 2007. Actually, it is a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewster is 100 percent responsible for the team he put on the field not Glen Mason.

Mason would have housed those 3 cupcakes, and crushed a couple more Big Ten doormats. Mason would have won two or four more games beyond that with his power rushing, clock control game, maybe against a good team.

Stop with all the recruiting BS Mason did not have an underperforming team after 2001. He almost always destroyed the NC teams and lower Big Ten teams. he also won once in a while vs., the top BT Teams.

Brewster owns 1-11 not Mason, get over it.

So now you're calling Mason a liar? One of the things that soured people on him in 2006 was his constant statements that people better prepare for a big "rebuilding year" in 2007. You have him winning 7 to 9 games that year. That would have been quite a surprise, even to Mason.

Some of your posts tonight seem a little "ripe". Maybe they seem even worse because you've got a long history of reasonable posts.

Could be that "retiring" for the night wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen...

A "fact" is what ever some blow dried fraud thinks it is, just as MSNBC or CNN.

My point was that it was very likely, maybe not a "fact" that Mason would have run the ball 500 times in 2007, buried team's challenges on D and won many more than 4 games was correct.
4-8 really

1-11 like Brewster did never

s's

The 2003 Gopher football team under Mason had the stats below.
Rushing yards 4039, PPG, 38.9, passing yards 2671 total yardage 6,400 yards for the year less sacks

2007 Brewster team:

Rushing yard 1949, PPG, 26.2 passing yards, 2949 total yardage 4,890

I'll take 6400 yards and 530 points over 4800 yards and 315 points any day of the week no matter how may 3 yard catches the WRs have.

Mason, Browning, and Shaw would have figured out how to do it again. The finger needs to be pointed at one Joel Maturi, who meddled and did not support is coach as Tom Moe and Mark Dienhardt did. Maturi also did not have a backbone and let his president run him over.

Why use 2003 as a comparison and not 2006?

Because the 2007 team rushed for more yards per game than 2006 (161.8 - 154.4)? Threw for more yards per game than 2006 (245.8 - 221.1). Had more total yards per game than 2006 (407.5 - 375.5)?

Stop with all the recruiting BS Mason did not have an underperforming team after 2001.

The 2004 team was ranked in the AP preseason top 25. The 2004 team did not finish ranked in the final AP top 25. (an SI writer famously had them ranked 9th in his preseason rankings)

When you finish 3-5 in the Big Ten and 6-7 overall in 2006 with a three-year starter at quarterback in year 10...is that underperforming, an indictment of recruiting or performed as expected?

That is about as ridiculous of a post as I've read in a long time. Bizarre logic...if there is any logic in it.

Let me say it differently. Before you fire your coach you should think about who will replace him and the decision on whether to fire him should be inextricably connected to the quality of his likely successor. At the time of the firing this is a speculative exercise.

Five years after the firing, judging the decision is no longer a speculative exercise because you know what happened. Firing Glen Mason and replacing him with Tim Brewster was a fail on the part of Joel Maturi.

Five years after the firing, judging the decision is no longer a speculative exercise because you know what happened. Firing Glen Mason and replacing him with Tim Brewster was a fail on the part of Joel Maturi.

You say "decision" (singular) even though it was two decisions (plural). Firing Glen Mason and replacing him with Tim Brewster are two completely separate things. It is possible for one thing to be a failure without the other being so as well. I'm not sure why this has to be so complicated.

Ignoramus huh? I loved Mase and was pissed at the time he was fired. Time has given me some perspective on his era. If you truly think Mase was going to lead us to an 8-4 season in 2007, you're even nuttier than I thought.

You say "decision" (singular) even though it was two decisions (plural). Firing Glen Mason and replacing him with Tim Brewster are two completely separate things. It is possible for one thing to be a failure without the other being so as well. I'm not sure why this has to be so complicated.

Exactly.

How about another example: Say you divorce your wife/husband and then remarry. But the new marriage is even worse than first one, does that mean you made a mistake in divorcing the first time?

Exactly.

How about another example: Say you divorce your wife/husband and then remarry. But the new marriage is even worse than first one, does that mean you made a mistake in divorcing the first time?

Bad example. You don't have to remarry within the next 30 days to the best spouse who'll have you - Joel Maturi did.

Top Bottom