Sid: I've been covering Gophs for 70 years, Mason firing was one of most unfair ever

If the firing of a coach is not to be judged at least in part by the success of his successor, but instead by the imagined success of a hypothetical replacement, then I guess 120 schools should fire their coaches because maybe they could hire Urban Meyer.

Mason's firing only looks bad because Brewster was a hot steaming pile and Maturi wasn't much better. I witnessed too many epic collapses by Mason's teams to continue to support him. We needed a change. 5 years of Claeys going 8-4 and not beating Wisconsin will get Claeys dismissed as well.

No it wouldn't. When was the last time the Gophers went 8-4 for 5 consecutive seasons? I'll hang up and listen.

No it wouldn't. When was the last time the Gophers went 8-4 for 5 consecutive seasons? I'll hang up and listen.

Your not dialed in pal . They weren't 8 -4 last year. As a matter of fact when you include bowl games , they're 8-5 at their best under Kill/Claeys.

Your not dialed in pal . They weren't 8 -4 last year. As a matter of fact when you include bowl games , they're 8-5 at their best under Kill/Claeys.

Holy cow ruppert, get Glen's dong out of your mouth and read the post he replied to.

Claeys just completed his first full season as head coach. Mason got to 10 wins in year 7. His first bowl win was in year 6. Comparing Claeys and Mason are ridiculous at this point.

GII....even Brewster would have grabbed 8 wins with that schedule. Who did we beat other than a middle of the road Northwestern team. That is his signature win in two years.

Okay, I overlooked a couple of things.

1. He had Ernie Wheelwright and Decker available. Wheelwright made a lot of big plays in the Mason system and Decker would have been good with Weber and Mason staff.

Season Receptions School History
1: Decker 84 (2008)
2: Decker 67 (2007)
3: Wheelwright 66 (2007)

Wheelwright had season highs in catches, yards and TDs with Brewster/Weber.

If he would've stayed healthy, Decker would've beat his own single season record by at least 40 catches in 2008.

Wouldn't all the numbers above be lower under Mason?

GII....even Brewster would have grabbed 8 wins with that schedule. Who did we beat other than a middle of the road Northwestern team. That is his signature win in two years.

Umm....Mason's signature win during his first two years was against a 6-6 Michigan State team.

If the firing of a coach is not to be judged at least in part by the success of his successor, but instead by the imagined success of a hypothetical replacement, then I guess 120 schools should fire their coaches because maybe they could hire Urban Meyer.

The counter argument then is that no one should ever be fired because there is a chance the replacement could be worse.

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't dialed in. Let's see was Claeys does in year 3. The bottom line is Mason never had any of the " bennies " afforded to the Kill/Claeys run.

Simply stating that Mason took awhile to achieve the things you mentioned.

Simply stating that Mason took awhile to achieve the things you mentioned.

Better than looking at it via Wisconsin. If we do Claeys is 0-2, Mason was 2-8, Wacker was 2-4 and Gutey was 4-2.

Then we should have kept Gutey I guess. :D

Yep....the hot tub incident was Gutey's downfall

The major cause though IMHO, was after going 2-7-2 in '88, he had decent years in '89 and '90. Only went 6-5 in those years, but he went 5-3 in the Big Ten and beat Wisconsin and #13 Iowa in the last 4 games in 1990.

The problem was he went 2-9 and 1-7 in Conference in 1991. Losing his last six, four of them badly. It was over for him then.

A coach with a good to great record can overcome scandals off the field. See Mason at Kansas, Holtz bagman scandals at MN and Notre Dame or Alvarez at Wisconsin.

Coaches with mediocre to bad records are always gone.

Yep....the hot tub incident was Gutey's downfall

post-57573-james-franco-wait-what-gif-Img-Ej8P.gif

You might be confusing Gutey with John Grunseth.

I get a kick out of the people who say firing Mason was the right thing to do but hiring Brewster was the wrong thing to do as if the two are unrelated. Did they coach at different schools? Did a different AD fire one and hire the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Worst take in a thread full of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey - I hear the Gophers are in a Bowl game this year.

Just to remind people who seem to be stuck in the past......

Mase was a competent head coach, but in the end his big mouth cost him his job. He could have escaped all the monumental collapses had he not openly campaigned for other jobs and talked so much trash about the fans and administration. Those are your customers and your employer dummy.

Mase was a competent head coach, but in the end his big mouth cost him his job. He could have escaped all the monumental collapses had he not openly campaigned for other jobs and talked so much trash about the fans and administration. Those are your customers and your employer dummy.

He never trashed the fans and didn't openly admonish the administration. When he was unjustly fired he never said a word. Now his wife Kate did. She pretty much ripped Maturi a new A-HOLE

I don't really remember much of what you cite...

I think some of the epic losses and such were the reasons.

Many people with Sid's "mentality" continuing to bash each other regarding Mason and Brewster. Both guys are doing fine now and enjoying the holiday season. I'm encouraging others to do so as well.

Knew them both (Mason and Brewster). Still friends with Brewster to this day. My thoughts?

You don't fire Mason and hire Brewster. A non football AD should never hire a Brewster. If given the opportunity to grow into the job Brewster would have won here.

I would have rehired (as coach) Mason after Brewster and certainly after Kill. I would have hired Mason as AD at any point. Mason (AD) and Brewster (coach) would have been a freaking awesome combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could go through a montage of things on Glen Mason , but it would go on deaf ears because you have no idea what went on inside the athletic department. If you would like to meet me in San Diego I would be glad to enlighten you . As with all good liberals, I'll buy.

So...completely missed the sarcasm on this one RFW?

I get a kick out of the people who say firing Mason was the right thing to do but hiring Brewster was the wrong thing to do as if the two are unrelated. Did they coach at different schools? Did a different AD fire one and hire the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Huh?

That is about as ridiculous of a post as I've read in a long time. Bizarre logic...if there is any logic in it.

Top Bottom