Sid: $70 million football facility to break ground in Dec. Nanne Update: Not true!

Look - Sid is losing it. Anyone who listens to him on the radio, or watches the Sports Show on Sunday knows that. The real question is whether the powers that be at the Strib or 'CCO have the stones to tell a 'legend' that he can't cut it anymore. Of course, they have to be careful, because that is an age discrimination suit waiting to happen.....

Sad to say but Sid seems to have slipped more in just the last month.....at least from watching the Sunday nite show.

Mike Max has to be on his knees begging Lou and Sid to show up this Sunday. Could be a ratings bonanza for Maxy.

Who the eff is in charge over there? "So, Souhan, you want to print a column that mocks people with a disease? Well, I sure don't see anything wrong with that. Oh, Sid. What do you have? Oh a practice facility? For 70 million? Well, that sounds a little nuts, but you're pushing 100, so what are the odds you heard something wrong? Print it!"

HAHAHA! I just burst out laughing in my office reading this! :clap:

I used to be a small-time sports reporter, and this brings to mind something that happened back then.

I emailed Sid a few years ago a paragraph about a Minnesota sports figure who had endured a major setback. It was actually a minor news item about an obscure personality, but because it was pretty dramatic, I thought Sid might be interested. I included contact info so Sid could get in touch with the guy.

About a week later I saw my paragraph reproduced verbatim in Sid's column. Every stinking word.

My first thought when I saw that this report was refuted was that someone set Sid up, hoaxed him, and he just printed it.

It's all so Gophers sports to have terrific news written by the chief fundraisers longtime friend only to have it be erroneous.

Gotta believe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Look - Sid is losing it. Anyone who listens to him on the radio, or watches the Sports Show on Sunday knows that. The real question is whether the powers that be at the Strib or 'CCO have the stones to tell a 'legend' that he can't cut it anymore. Of course, they have to be careful, because that is an age discrimination suit waiting to happen.....

Not. He can be put to pasture for no reason. It is called employment at will. Sid would have to prove discrimination. All the Strib would have to prove is he came up with this whopper.

Maybe he wouldn't be losing it if he were as fit as Souhan.

This price tag is much more realistic and is comical that so many bought hook line and sinker that we'd go after $70MM price tag, let alone thinking that a coporation would pony up $35MM for a training center

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Target price for new Gophers FB building when fundraising reaches level needed to start construction: $28 million.</p>— Patrick Reusse (@1500ESPN_Reusse) <a href="https://twitter.com/1500ESPN_Reusse/statuses/449235851801681920">March 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wasn't the full plan 190mil? 70/190= 37%

and 70 mil is redicoulous for a football practice facility, oregon is considered to have if not the best, one of the best and I think their's was under 70 mil, how the strib actually thought any of sid's report was credible is beyond me
My error, I was going from memory, it is $190 mill. The thrust of my conjecture remains the $70 Mill make sense for phase one. Any number between 25% and 40% makes sense.

Update:

For those folks bashing me earlier about questioning the $70 million figure with comparable sources of other facility price tags. I think the part Nanne is most upset about is the $70 million number, not the ground breaking. "There are no plans to break ground and the facility that we're looking at is not remotely close to 70 million [dollars]. We want to get that word out because that is just totally, totally incorrect."

Meanhile...

DEVELOPING: According to multiple people “in the know”, Taylor Corporation and MN Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor is very close to reaching an agreement to buy the Star Tribune. Taylor has expressed an interest previously, and has intensified negotiations recently. One person with knowledge of the transaction suggested that think that there is “an agreement in principle.” The Star Tribune is currently owned by a series of outside investment groups led by Wayzata Investment Partners. who bought the newspaper out of bankruptcy

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5c3cc7495e9273c8e831e32c3&id=987e3d25a3

Go Gophers!!

Well my sources say Sid was mostly right out had the dollar figure wrong. Instead of 70 million, it was actually 700 000 the U was committing.

As the deal has fallen part, Joel Maturi's house is now back on the market.*

*Apologies to those reading this thread on both boards.

Here's what I think happened:

Sid is on his way into his office and someone asks him if he heard about such and such baseball player that got signed for $70 million.

Then he overhears two people at the water cooler talking about how the weather feels like we're back in December.

He sits down at his desk and sees a bunch of emails from GopherHolers asking about the status of the facility fundraising. The only two things he can remember at this point are $70 million and December.

He tells intern X that the Gophers are set to break ground on a facility that will cost $70 million. Intern X writes update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sid is on his way into his office and someone asks him if he heard about such and such baseball player that got signed for $70 million.

Then he overhears two people at the water cooler talking about how the weather feels like we're back in December.

He sits down at his desk and sees a bunch of emails from GopherHolers asking about the status of the facility fundraising. The only two things he can remember at this point are $70 million and December.

He tells intern X that the Gophers are set to break ground on a facility that will cost $70 million. Intern X writes update.

:clap: Nailed it!

If you want a drinking game that will get anyone drunk in no time, record Sid's call-in segments on WCCO weekday mornings and take a shot every time he says "Pardon me?"

Dave Lee is catching on a little bit but despite how slowly and loudly he asks questions, Sid can be counted on to reply, "Pardon me?".

It is an extra large waste of time to listen to Lee get through a long, multi-part question, taking a full minute to ask... only to get the "Pardon me?" response. Some of the questions are actually pretty good but after "pardon me?" it always gets boiled down to simple things like "Are the Vikings going to be good?"

I wonder how many "pardon me's" had to be asked during the gumshoe investigation leading to that article, and what was lost in translation.

Bingo! HAHA! :clap:

Yup and right after making the $70M announcement, here is his exchange with Mona:

Sid: "Windy, ain't it?"

Mona: "No, it's Thursday."

Sid: "So am I. Let's have a beer."

Why in the world is the article still up? That's actually the baffling part of this. Maybe the Strib's content editor took the day off.

I read Sids column this morning and thought "WTF? How the hell did we go from feasibility studies to JACKPOT, BABY!?" I was on cloud nine all damn day long. Now I'm home, excited to read The 'Hole, to find out all the juicy details only to discover that Sid just took away my birthday. Home dentistry is funner than this. What a clown show at the strib.

I read Sids column this morning and thought "WTF? How the hell did we go from feasibility studies to JACKPOT, BABY!?" I was on cloud nine all damn day long. Now I'm home, excited to read The 'Hole, to find out all the juicy details only to discover that Sid just took away my birthday. Home dentistry is funner than this. What a clown show at the strib.
How and why do you not read the hole at work? I get paid rather handsomely to read the hole all day...

How and why do you not read the hole at work? I get paid rather handsomely to read the hole all day...

557.gif

Seriously. I mean I have to take occasional breaks to work, and there is a day every now and then where I'm so busy I can only spend an hour or two on here, but you clearly need a new profession.

The Strib isn't the only one. Burns said $35 million from a local company. That's so laughable. No company in Minnesota is giving 35 million for a practice facility when the actual stadium got $35 million over 25 years.

He claims that it was a Fortune 500 company, but can't remember which one. How stupid do you have to be to believe that a publicly traded company is going to donate $35mm to a football facility for the U? I'd love to see how that is explained at a shareholder's meeting.

Between anagrams and Lane Kiffin hirings, life must be difficult to navigate.

Top Bottom