Sid: $70 million football facility to break ground in Dec. Nanne Update: Not true!

Damn, this would be great if it ends up being the case. Kind of surprised they are going forward with part of it and not waiting to reach their goal first, but it might make more sense in the long run, and the sooner they can break ground on something the better I would guess.

Could be a "priming the pump" deal - start some work to show momentum for the project, and give potential donors something tangible to see. The longer things go with no visible signs of progress, the more the nay-sayers will claim that they can't raise the money and nothing is happening.

Some actual work might also be a way to show recruits that the U is serious about upgrading facilities.

If I remember correctly, Teague did say they would build as funds came together. That they wouldnt build it all at once. Obviously football and basketball would have the biggest donors to get it going.

I had gotten bearish on Teague's ability to fund raise over the last couple of months. Definitely not feeling that way any more. What great news! And a basketball facility should be started soon as well!

Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsGI 19m
@MVofDT you are right on sir. I forget which Fortune 500 company in town it was, but they're putting down $35 million for the training table

Is our $70 million facility supposed to be different than Northwestern's $220 million facility? I'm just wondering if anyone knows why there's is so much more.

Is our $70 million facility supposed to be different than Northwestern's $220 million facility? I'm just wondering if anyone knows why there's is so much more.

Ours is a football complex. Northwesterns was a multisport training facility and recreation center and pools and parking garage.

I believe 70million would be the most expensive football training facility. Wasn't oregons like 60 something million and considered to be the best in the country?

Ours is a football complex. Northwesterns was a multisport training facility and recreation center and pools and parking garage.

I believe 70million would be the most expensive football training facility. Wasn't oregons like 60 something million and considered to be the best in the country?

It was $68 million and it was a decadent monstrosity. The sort of lair you bring James Bond to if you really want to impress him before you kill him. I half-expected to see a moat full of sharks around it. If the figure is correct, there's a distinct possibility that we go from the worst facilities in the conference to a facility so good that it constitutes a sad indictment of our society.

That should probably bother me more than it does. And it should really stoke the fires of cognitive dissonance of those who think "unionization, medical care, and grad school for non-redshirts" constitutes an unreasonable demand on behalf of the athletes we actually pay to see. But hey, it's great for the Gophers. (And it's entirely private money, of course).

This is four years, three months old but most of the top facilities referenced seem to be included. They are mentioned as $15 million to like $27 million in cost. What are we doing to spend $70 million? That's three times the cost of the best I can find numbers for? It's essentially an open warehouse with carpet and some tricks. Then you got the amenities, but pool tables, couches and tv's are not millions. And a weight room. And a kitchen, dining room. A study area. A trophy room. A locker room. Most all those mentioned contain these things too.

Ecstatic we are getting one. Just curious why ours costs soo much more? http://www.thedailybore.com/thedailybore/2009/12/best-college-football-facilities.html

Is their a worry that to much money is being spent on Gopher Football? Maybe the U is going to build our program the finest facility in the Country.
Whats wrong with that?? The Football program brings in millions of Dollars. A good portion of that is out state money which is coming into our local economy.
It would be another issue if Tax Payer Money was involved. It's being funded by volunteer private donations. There's no public handouts!!!
For years, the University was not committed to Gopher Football.
The new era of Gopher Football is taking shape. We have waited a long time for this?

This is four years, three months old but most of the top facilities referenced seem to be included. They are mentioned as $15 million to like $27 million in cost. What are we doing to spend $70 million? That's three times the cost of the best I can find numbers for? It's essentially an open warehouse with carpet and some tricks. Then you got the amenities, but pool tables, couches and tv's are not millions. And a weight room. And a kitchen, dining room. A study area. A trophy room. A locker room. Most all those mentioned contain these things too.

Ecstatic we are getting one. Just curious why ours costs soo much more? http://www.thedailybore.com/thedailybore/2009/12/best-college-football-facilities.html

I'm sure when we find out the details everyone will say....."Okay, that makes sense."

Not sure why some people are surprised with the over-all project being built in stages.

I will take a stab to guess why the cost is higher. Most other schools have plenty of room for facilities and parking. We are kinda cramped in and dont have much room. That is why the U is planning an underground parking facility beneath the football complex. These are NOT cheap and most likely is what caused the increase. And I am willing to bet that cost includes the training table. And if it really does cost $35 million, that is one impressive training table.

It took Northwestern 18 months from their announcement and "commencement of fundraising" to break ground. It will take Minnesota eight. I might even bet the facility id paid off by the time it opens.

Naysayers of Norwood Teague and Lou Nanne, you can stick it.

GopherHolers:

"Man we suck. Every other school in their country can get donors to give money to build new facilities and we can't. Poor us."

"Oh my God we're spending how much??? That's ridiculous. Too much money!"

I think the love of complaining must just be part of the Minnesotan DNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the figure is correct, there's a distinct possibility that we go from the worst facilities in the conference to a facility so good that it constitutes a sad indictment of our society.

As much as this is needed and as happy as I am that this is finally happening, I also can't help but thinking this as well. The college football and basketball arms race is mind boggling. Hopefully details will be announced soon.

Here is the thing about saying this is too much. The people that are funding it obviously want that and are willing to pony up. No need to do anything but be happy that our donors want this!

Everyone should take a look at the Strib comments. People really have a hard time realizing these are DONATIONS and not tax payer money. One idiot even went as far to say that if these rich people have money to throw at a practice facility, they should have donated for the Vikings stadium. Priceless

If you are upset about this for any reason, you should be banned from GH.

$70 million football facility to break ground in December, more facilities to...

If this is true, a $70 million dollar practice facility puts us in Oregon territory. We'd have one of the best facilities in the country.

Lets pump the brakes here a bit. El Sid said it was $70 million. 1. He's 9,000 years old, hearings going quickly, and he's been known to jump the gun and run with something he doesn't know anything about. 2. Let the U announce exactly what that $70 mil is going towards. Who knows, that could include moving the track and field facility to St. Paul, underground parking garage (ROT $25,000 per space, not cheap). Then we can decide just how much over this should be for a "an open warehouse with carpet and some tricks".

Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsGI 19m
@MVofDT you are right on sir. I forget which Fortune 500 company in town it was, but they're putting down $35 million for the training table

My guess for the training table would be General Mills.

What's the point, D1 sports will be done in less than 10 years time...amirite? ;)

Top Bottom