Shooter: Plenty of candidates for Gophers job; decision on Pitino was made 10 days ago; Pitino could interview for New Mexico and South Florida

I smell a bet. BET: 4 new starters next year if we change coaches. Complete roster overturn. And 13-14th place finish in the big 10.
So be it, if that happens, I can accept it knowing we got a new coach. Stop supporting him, his record in the Big Ten is horrible. He is not a good coach, he’s young and has a chance to improve, but he shouldn’t get it on the Gopher nickel anymore.

Unfortunately, he didn't win enough with them. That's the bottom line

Yes, recruiting is only half the battle.

I didn't watch the Gophers much during Monson's tenure (I was still new to the state) but looking back at the consensus recruiting rankings, I see the following (with consensus recruit ranking noted):

Rick Rickert (#9)
Kris Humphries (#10)
Adam Boone (#33)
Aliou Kane (#75)
Vincent Grier (#83)
Lawrence McKenzie (#85)

Sports Reference lists only Top 100 players so I don't know how many of Monson's recruits fell within the next fifty or so below that.

Pitino has recruited only the following Top 100 players:

Coffey (#40)
Washington (#61)
Oturu (#50)

Obviously, the bottom line for a program's success is how well players perform, not their rankings based on their prep years. Players like Murphy, Lynch, and Carr were underrated but I would guess some of Monson's were as well.

Neither coach recruited terribly (although Pitino had some very costly clunkers) but neither coach got the job done.

Yes, recruiting is only half the battle.

I didn't watch the Gophers much during Monson's tenure (I was still new to the state) but looking back at the consensus recruiting rankings, I see the following (with consensus recruit ranking noted):

Rick Rickert (#9)
Kris Humphries (#10)
Adam Boone (#33)
Aliou Kane (#75)
Vincent Grier (#83)
Lawrence McKenzie (#85)

Sports Reference lists only Top 100 players so I don't know how many of Monson's recruits fell within the next fifty or so below that.

Pitino has recruited only the following Top 100 players:

Coffey (#40)
Washington (#61)
Oturu (#50)

Obviously, the bottom line for a program's success is how well players perform, not their rankings based on their prep years. Players like Murphy, Lynch, and Carr were underrated but I would guess some of Monson's were as well.

Neither coach recruited terribly (although Pitino had some very costly clunkers) but neither coach got the job done.

To be fair Boone and McKenzie were transfers and both Rickert and Humpries “de-committed” from better programs late in the game.

To be fair Boone and McKenzie were transfers and both Rickert and Humpries “de-committed” from better programs late in the game.

"To be fair" none of those technical points diminish the point of the post; namely, Pitino didn't recruit so badly here but didn't recruit appreciably better than a fired predecessor who took over the program at a much tougher time but is regarded as a failure anyway.

I don't think there was ever anything specified or investigated, but the rumors were difficult to ignore. And then there was the prima facie evidence of Maturi vetoing Williams. And yes, you're right, much/most of it goes back to Musselman, but I personally find the rumors compelling. I mean, I've been the first to say that Minnesota can recruit better than we have in recent years, but the No. 1 class in the nation in 1978? Really?

Musselman was a snake oil salesman but he could recruit, doubt he could have ever kept it together long term though. Would have liked to have seen a starting 5 of Landsburger, Olberding, Thompson, Williams, and Saunders in 75-76. I don't see that it took much under the table negotiating to get that 5 together with the exception of maybe Ray Williams.

Musselman was a snake oil salesman but he could recruit, doubt he could have ever kept it together long term though. Would have liked to have seen a starting 5 of Landsburger, Olberding, Thompson, Williams, and Saunders in 75-76. I don't see that it took much under the table negotiating to get that 5 together with the exception of maybe Ray Williams.

God knows what went on in those days and before when it came to recruiting. I always loved Tarkanian's quote about why he preferred junior college players: "Their cars are already paid for."

This is a horribly written tweet.
Is miles interviewing for New Mexico or Minnesota? Could really be taken as either one
"who would love the Gophs job" was just side info. He interviewed for NM on Friday, is what he was saying.

Did well at CO St and trained both Smith and Medved.

NM would be stupid not to take Miles over Pitino, IMO. But doesn't sound like that will be the case.

"To be fair" none of those technical points diminish the point of the post; namely, Pitino didn't recruit so badly here but didn't recruit appreciably better than a fired predecessor who took over the program at a much tougher time but is regarded as a failure anyway.
Agree 100%. Was more of an addition than counter.

Jesus we still have people defending Reggie on here? Gross. As someone who grew up with him he's been having issues with women since he was 16. You don't need a conviction to see the writing on the wall.
Correct. And I vote we leave it at this.

"who would love the Gophs job" was just side info. He interviewed for NM on Friday, is what he was saying.

Did well at CO St and trained both Smith and Medved.

NM would be stupid not to take Miles over Pitino, IMO. But doesn't sound like that will be the case.
Happens way to often and in this case it seems the connection between AD and coach will win over who’s the better hire.

God knows what went on in those days and before when it came to recruiting. I always loved Tarkanian's quote about why he preferred junior college players: "Their cars are already paid for."
There are still plenty of shenanigans being played, and thats why you see the heat on programs like Arizona. Heck there is audio of LSU coach lamenting the great “offer” to a player....amazing what some seem to get by with and seemingly keep moving forward.

Top Bottom