Season Ticket refund

You're right. You never specifically use the popular term "fake news".

You did, however, say this:

"All I heard this morning is various cancelled events, and recommendations of people over 60 to not leave their house. Seriously."

And this:

"Given these statistics, I guess anyone over 60 shouldn’t leave their house. Ever."

To me, you seem to be implying that the media has deliberately exaggerated and/or sensationalized the situation, in an irresponsible way. Did I misinterpret you?

My question to the people who are claiming "fake news", or accusing the media of sensationalization, would be: Do you have any specific examples?

To me, the reporting I've seen has been straightforward. The media is merely doing the job of a free press in an open society.

But I'm prepared to change my thinking, if I'm provided with specific and plausible examples of media malfeasance.

Reporting on event cancellations doesn't really seem sensationalist. And giving a platform for the recommendations of health professionals to speak to the general population during a situation like we're facing now seems to me to be a valuable public service.
How many packages of toilet paper have you bought?

You are connecting a lot of dots Pitino didn’t. I won’t speak for him, but I wouldn’t use the word “fake news” in your examples but if you don’t see that the media is fanning the hysteria flames well beyond the current facts at this point then I would conclude you are buying into it.

You're right. You never specifically use the popular term "fake news".

You did, however, say this:

"All I heard this morning is various cancelled events, and recommendations of people over 60 to not leave their house. Seriously."

And this:

"Given these statistics, I guess anyone over 60 shouldn’t leave their house. Ever."

To me, you seem to be implying that the media has deliberately exaggerated and/or sensationalized the situation, in an irresponsible way. Did I misinterpret you?

My question to the people who are claiming "fake news", or accusing the media of sensationalization, would be: Do you have any specific examples?

To me, the reporting I've seen has been straightforward. The media is merely doing the job of a free press in an open society.

But I'm prepared to change my thinking, if I'm provided with specific and plausible examples of media malfeasance.

Reporting on event cancellations doesn't really seem sensationalist. And giving a platform for the recommendations of health professionals to speak to the general population during a situation like we're facing now seems to me to be a valuable public service.

Two questions:

— If any one particular person reacts to a situation in an extreme or even downright silly way, does that warrant (in your view) an accusation of poor or dishonest or irresponsible reporting by the media in general? If so, I'd genuinely like to hear your reasoning for seeing it that way. I see it as a person overreacting.

— Is Todd Starnes a reliable news source? Is he a responsible, unbiased reporter? Is he "one of the good ones"? If you feel he is, how did you determine that he is a truth-teller, and others in media are not? I'm genuinely curious.

Just got done perusing Todd Starnes' Wiki page.

Wow. Interesting.

Two questions:

— If any one particular person reacts to a situation in an extreme or even downright silly way, does that warrant (in your view) an accusation of poor or dishonest or irresponsible reporting by the media in general? If so, I'd genuinely like to hear your reasoning for seeing it that way. I see it as a person overreacting.

— Is Todd Starnes a reliable news source? Is he a responsible, unbiased reporter? Is he "one of the good ones"? If you feel he is, how did you determine that he is a truth-teller, and others in media are not? I'm genuinely curious.

Just go watch the video if you want a good laugh. Barnes isn’t the reporter, he just tweeted a story. It’s a legit news report from a school where one employee quarantined himself (with no symptoms) after learning he had come in contact with someone with the virus. Parents showed up in a panic. The woman you see in the photo was wearing two garbage bags on her body, and plastic bags on her feet. One guy was spraying his kid in the face with a bottle of disinfectant.

Link to video:https://www.fox13memphis.com/rss-sn...NNk8KsUZoWj575A37b_XJx0e8nwIwyvUZBvJ2ghK_HnTI

Anyway....you’re wasting your time trying to convince me that the media isn’t sensationalizing this. We could go back and forth for a week (I won’t), and still be in the exact same place.

How many packages of toilet paper have you bought?

You are connecting a lot of dots Pitino didn’t. I won’t speak for him, but I wouldn’t use the word “fake news” in your examples but if you don’t see that the media is fanning the hysteria flames well beyond the current facts at this point then I would conclude you are buying into it.

"Fanning the hysteria flames" is a really strongly-worded, unambiguous accusation.

And yet— no specific examples?

Just go watch the video if you want a good laugh. Barnes isn’t the reporter, he just tweeted the story. It’s a legit news report from a school where one employee quarantined himself (with no symptoms) after learning he had come in contact with someone with the virus. Parents showed up in a panic. The woman you see in the photo was wearing two garbage bags on her body, and plastic bags on her feet. One guy was spraying his kid in the face with a bottle of disinfectant.

Anyway....you’re wasting your time trying to convince me that the media isn’t sensationalizing this. We could go back and forth for a week (I won’t), and still be in the exact same place.

I'm willing to buy your accusations about the media, but in order to do so I'd require at least one solid, specific example of reporting that fits your description.

As I said, merely reporting that events have been cancelled (which is factually accurate) and passing along recommendations from medical professionals don't really come close to deliberately manufacturing mass hysteria, in my book.

And posting an article about a person overreacting to the situation is just that: a story about a person overreacting.

Last edited:

Get your Clorox wipes before they run out.

So in your view, the media has driven hysteria. That is, they have done so if the fact that certain people are stocking up on certain items qualifies as real hysteria. I'm a bit dubious, but I suppose you could make that argument. I mean, I get your premise.

But — does the overreaction of certain people prove that the media reporting is actually irresponsible?

I don't think so. But I'd change my mind if you showed me some specific examples of really bad, irresponsible, factually incorrect reporting by the media.

I don't see how reporting, say, event cancellations really qualifies as fanning the flames of hysteria. I also don't believe it's irresponsible to report on empty streets in Italy. It's simply factual reporting on real events.

Last edited:

So in your view, the media has driven hysteria. I get your premise.

But — does the overreaction of certain people prove that the media reporting is irresponsible? I don't think so. I don't see how it would. But I'd change my mind if you showed me some specific examples of really bad, irresponsible, factually incorrect reporting by the media.

I don't see how reporting event cancellations really qualifies as fanning the flames of hysteria.
Does it need to be factually incorrect to be fanning the flames? Does putting a story about a single Walmart store having one of their employees test positive on the front page of a national news source seem logical? I’ve heard “over 110K cases” about 100 times, but don’t think I have heard any of the news sources make sure people know over 65K have already recovered from it - have you? I don’t need to give you specifics just go to fox or cnn (web or tv) and watch for 5-minutes. As I said, if you don’t see it then you have bought in. Make sure your cars are full of gas each night.

And posting an article about a person overreacting to the situation is just that: a story about a person overreacting.

Some folks think everything no matter how random is proof of their conspiracy:

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

Does it need to be factually incorrect to be fanning the flames? Does putting a story about a single Walmart store having one of their employees test positive on the front page of a national news source seem logical? I’ve heard “over 110K cases” about 100 times, but don’t think I have heard any of the news sources make sure people know over 65K have already recovered from it - have you? I don’t need to give you specifics just go to fox or cnn (web or tv) and watch for 5-minutes. As I said, if you don’t see it then you have bought in. Make sure your cars are full of gas each night.

Yes, I have heard that as a matter of fact. And, hey... so have you! — apparently. So somehow, through the waves of alleged sensationalism, you were made aware of that fact.

Speaking of facts: I've heard (many, many, many times) that the fatality rate for the virus is actually quite low — around 2%. I've also heard (many, many, many times) that people who don't have certain risk factors have little to fear, and that those people who do have those factors are the ones who need to be especially cautious.

I've heard — over and over and over — that covering your cough with your elbow and washing your hands are quite effective.

But, hey — maybe I get my news from different news sources than you do. None of the ones that I've used have come remotely close to fostering hysteria. They have simply reported facts.

Here's a True Fact: there's no vaccine yet, but don't panic because professionals are working hard on that, and they're using the very best scientific methods.

Last edited:

Some folks think everything no matter how random is proof of their conspiracy:

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

I just thought it was funny. Those people are the reason for the run on toilet paper.

We don’t need conspiracy theories to have the opinion that it’s being overblown by a lot of people.

Yes, I have heard that as a matter of fact. And, hey... so have you! — apparently. So somehow, through the waves of alleged sensationalism, you heard that fact. I wonder where?
Where? Just call me Bob.
B9C34030-738F-40DD-9537-0D3B5A02795C.jpeg
BTW - 2% would not be low at all and COVID-19 will not be 2%. You should stop feeding into the hysteria.

Where? Just call me Bob.
View attachment 7259
BTW - 2% would not be low at all and COVID-19 will not be 2%. You should stop feeding into the hysteria.

Hey... really cute cartoon! Your own work?

Again with the "don't listen to the dishonest media" blather?

I'll try this one last time:

Do you, sir, have one single solitary example of a news media story that is dishonest, or 'feeds hysteria' regarding this virus?

Even ONE? One link, from the usual, reviled 'liberal media' suspects?

If you have no examples, then it would appear that the source of truly false 'hysteria' is not the 'liberal media'. It's actually coming from people like you, spreading unsubstantiated rumors and creating distrust about our American institutions, institutions like the free press.

But I'll stand corrected if you show some examples of 'hysterical, dishonest' media regarding this virus.

Last edited:

Hey... really cute cartoon! Your own work?

Again with the "don't listen to the dishonest media" blather?

I'll try this one last time:

Do you, sir, have one single solitary example of a news media story that is dishonest, or 'feeds hysteria'?

Even ONE? One link, from the usual, reviled 'liberal media' suspects?

If not... the source of truly false 'hysteria' is apparently not the 'liberal media'. It's actually coming from people like you, spreading unsubstantiated rumors and creating distrust about our American institutions, such as, you know — the free press.

But I'll stand corrected if you show some 'hysterical, dishonest' examples.
Already gave you the Walmart example. Tell me why one person at a single Walmart store got front page news yet hundreds of other cases didn’t? But hey, it’s factual so was likely chosen randomly. You are the sheep.

Already gave you the Walmart example. Tell me why one person at a single Walmart store got front page news yet hundreds of other cases didn’t? But hey, it’s factual so was likely chosen randomly. You are the sheep.

Link to the infamous, hysterical, dishonest, misleading WalMart story?

I'm genuinely curious: what, in your mind, is Big, Evil, Liberal Media's endgame here?

The destruction of America?

Do they work in concert with each other? Is there an Evil Genius Playbook somewhere that they all follow?

Do they hate America?

Link to the infamous, hysterical, dishonest, misleading WalMart story?
First you keep telling Pitino he said “fake news” now you keep telling me I said “dishonest”. I flat out said you don’t need to be dishonest to feed hysteria and I’m sorry you haven’t figured that out in life. Do some Google searches on how the mass media can “shape” things based on what and how they report. You might learn something.

I’m done debating this with you. Keep eating it up. You were right to buy the toilet paper, you were right to cancel your trip, after-all 1 in 50 that get it will die.

So... no links, then.

You're right about one thing: we're done here. What a waste of time.

So... no links, then.

You're right about one thing: we're done here. What a waste of time.
Hey smarty - type this “walmart coronavirus case” into Google and pick any of the first 10 links. You can pick your favorite mass media source just telling facts - that a single person at a single Walmart store in the US tested positive. It was randomly chosen from all 800+ cases and by pure coincidence happened to be at a store chain that millions of American’s shop at every day.

The virus is as contagious, or more contagious, as seasonal flu and more virulent, ie you’re many-fold more likely to end up in the hospital or dead. It isn’t widespread yet, but the concern of the professionals is this: what is going to stop it from becoming as widespread as flu in 8 weeks?

This isn’t some (mostly) media creation like the CTE scare. Sure, some people are hard-wired to panic and are overreacting. Others are experiencing cognitive dissonance and denial. Others don’t understand math, statistics, and science.

China is almost 7 weeks into draconian lockdowns and travel restrictions and are finally on the downslope of their first wave in Hubei. Other areas are just getting started. Epidemiologists universally agree this is a pretty serious situation. Hopefully Bob doesn’t end up on a vent.

Top Bottom