Scholarship count

CTgopher14

Reaction score
Does anyone have an accurate count of exactly how many 2020 scholarships we have available at this point? And then a priority wish list of which recruits or transfers we have a legitimate chance at landing? I want to stay organized.

if today was the start of fall camp we would be over by 7 i believe

We’ll know in 4 weeks. All will shake out and will be clear. Until then, any guess is 100% wrong, or could be 100% correct. I realize that doesn’t help, but until Feb 5, it’s a crapshoot.

We’ll know in 4 weeks. All will shake out and will be clear. Until then, any guess is 100% wrong, or could be 100% correct. I realize that doesn’t help, but until Feb 5, it’s a crapshoot.
Actually, we don't need to figure anything out until June, when the majority of the class enrolls for summer. We are already set for our early enrollies.

if today was the start of fall camp we would be over by 7 i believe
I think that's correct, because we have so far not signed a 25th for the incoming class, and Winfield just declared. We were figuring 9 in the other thread, with those two.

Actually, we don't need to figure anything out until June, when the majority of the class enrolls for summer. We are already set for our early enrollies.
Yeah, the kids that have signed are indeed signed. They don't have up to Feb 5 to change their minds, or something like that. That's the old signing date, but now is much less important.

I think we would have seen announcements of any additional winter transfers by now, if they were going to transfer before the semester starts. You'd want to get in for winter workouts and spring ball at the new school.

Think after spring ball here, we'll see the rest work their way out. That's when they'll know how they would fit into the depth chart if they stay.

Are there early graduations that we don't know about in additions to transfers?

I think they’ll be at the NCAA allowable size.

Yeah, the kids that have signed are indeed signed. They don't have up to Feb 5 to change their minds, or something like that. That's the old signing date, but now is much less important.

I think we would have seen announcements of any additional winter transfers by now, if they were going to transfer before the semester starts. You'd want to get in for winter workouts and spring ball at the new school.

Think after spring ball here, we'll see the rest work their way out. That's when they'll know how they would fit into the depth chart if they stay.
Correct. After spring ball they’ll know how they would fit and some will decide to leave. By the grace of God I predict the exact number needed will make that decision.

Correct. After spring ball they’ll know how they would fit and some will decide to leave. By the grace of God I predict the exact number needed will make that decision.

This is where the "Spiritual" part of having an elite culture Academically, Athletically, Socially, and Spiritually pays big dividends.

I'd be shocked if anyone else came on board with how many already have to leave to fit what we've already signed.

Are there early graduations that we don't know about in additions to transfers?
Only thing I can say there is, I assume they would've walked with the seniors at the Wisconsin game. I think you need to let the dept/school know fairly well in advance if you're going to graduate at the end of the fall (2019) semester. But I suppose anything is possible ...

I'd be shocked if anyone else came on board with how many already have to leave to fit what we've already signed.
We are gonna use the 25th spot on someone, whether it is a transfer, JuCo or HS player. The coaching staff already has figured out who is gonna be moving on or retiring after spring ball I'm sure.

Certainly possible, but I would assume Fleck will bring in the full 25 each year unless we just have an extraordinarily higher than normal percentage of kids in the prior four classes that want to stay and are contributing.

Again I think the ideal, really for any program, is you want to keep the older guys who are contributing, and then put most of the rest of your resources into trying to develop higher-potential younger guys.

Guys who have been here for 2 or 3 fall seasons and haven't contributed much, and don't look to have much potential to be significant contributors in the 3rd, 4th, 5th fall seasons, are the guys you want to encourage to move on.

We are gonna use the 25th spot on someone, whether it is a transfer, JuCo or HS player. The coaching staff already has figured out who is gonna be moving on or retiring after spring ball I'm sure.
Agreed

In addition to players transferring, there's also the possibility of someone taking a medical "retirement" from playing football. If they do that, they can still be on scholarship in terms of getting tuition paid, but they do not count against the 85 person cap (as they cannot practice or participate in games). For someone that knows they won't make the NFL and wants to focus on grades and graduating, it's a good deal. Of course, there has to be some "legit" medical reason. Maybe PJ can ask Saban for advice on how to work that system, Saban's pretty good at having third-string upperclassmen fail their physicals.

In addition to players transferring, there's also the possibility of someone taking a medical "retirement" from playing football. If they do that, they can still be on scholarship in terms of getting tuition paid, but they do not count against the 85 person cap (as they cannot practice or participate in games). For someone that knows they won't make the NFL and wants to focus on grades and graduating, it's a good deal. Of course, there has to be some "legit" medical reason. Maybe PJ can ask Saban for advice on how to work that system, Saban's pretty good at having third-string upperclassmen fail their physicals.
We already had one player medically retire this off-season, and I expect there will be a few more who don't pass their spring physicals and retire as well.

How do you know they will? I've heard zero news of them pursuing anyone. How do you know they already know who will leave?

Certainly possible, but I would assume Fleck will bring in the full 25 each year unless we just have an extraordinarily higher than normal percentage of kids in the prior four classes that want to stay and are contributing.

Again I think the ideal, really for any program, is you want to keep the older guys who are contributing, and then put most of the rest of your resources into trying to develop higher-potential younger guys.

Guys who have been here for 2 or 3 fall seasons and haven't contributed much, and don't look to have much potential to be significant contributors in the 3rd, 4th, 5th fall seasons, are the guys you want to encourage to move on.

Does anyone bring in 25 every year? Seems like you'd have to do a lot of shady stuff to make that work.

We didn’t bring in 25 last year, so I guess my idea could be completely off.

Last year I’m not sure if the number was 21 or 23 (including Dew and St Juste). I assume Tarbutt was not on scholly.

D1 College Sports is not a tea party. It is - for all practical purposes - a business. A Big stinkin' business, with millions of dollars at stake.

so yes, things happen that may not seem so nice sometimes, but if you're going to run with the big dogs, you run the risk of being eaten.

If you go to a major D1 Football program, any naivete you might have is going to be scrubbed off pretty quick.

Bottom line - if you cannot contribute to the success of the program, they don't need you and they don't want you. And one way or another, you will be gone.

So, I can state with 100% accuracy that one way or another, the Gopher FB program will meet its scholarship limit.

How do you know they will? I've heard zero news of them pursuing anyone. How do you know they already know who will leave?
Fleck has said in a few pressers that they are still deciding what to do with that spot in terms of how to fill it, but I expect something will become clear by the second signing day. The implication I have seen is that it will be used on a player this cycle.

D1 College Sports is not a tea party. It is - for all practical purposes - a business. A Big stinkin' business, with millions of dollars at stake.

so yes, things happen that may not seem so nice sometimes, but if you're going to run with the big dogs, you run the risk of being eaten.

If you go to a major D1 Football program, any naivete you might have is going to be scrubbed off pretty quick.

Bottom line - if you cannot contribute to the success of the program, they don't need you and they don't want you. And one way or another, you will be gone.

So, I can state with 100% accuracy that one way or another, the Gopher FB program will meet its scholarship limit.
The 85 limit or 25 a year limit? Yes it is a business, but it’s easy to get a bad image as well. If you get too aggressive with churning over the bottom of the roster it could easily be used against you in recruiting wars.

I may be off, but I think we are at 88 now, and that’s if Annexstad and Geary have scholarships renewed, I believe both were walk one.

I may be off, but I think we are at 88 now, and that’s if Annexstad and Geary have scholarships renewed, I believe both were walk one.
That’s low, I’m pretty sure. There is another thread back a few that had more details.

With Howard announcing the magic number is 6, so we’d be at 91 if it started today.

Top Bottom