Scholarship count

I guess RM thought Rummy was making it up on the spot and that it was just some BS he was spouting to get out of answering the question.

But it is an established concept used in law, intelligence, science, etc.

"There are things known and things unknown. (Deep, eh?)

Now, I, Donald Rumsfeld, will 'explain' this concept in granular detail."

The unknown unknown thing is a form of WHOCOULDANODE school of economic theory, most recently displayed after the financial crisis of 2007-2008. WHOUCOULDANODE what might happen?

WHOCOULDANODE is a common legal defense, right Bob? Plausible deniability for bad (or potentially illegal or criminal) decisions.

WHOCOULDANODE the 737 Max would experience instrument failure at an astonishingly high rate?

WHOCOULDANODE the Vietnam War was unwinnable early on (barring a major expansion of the conflict)?

WHOCOULDANODE toppling dictatorships would result in a power vacuum filled by warring Islamic statist militias?

and on and on.

Lets be honest, it’s more a failure of imagination and conscious rejection of known possibilities (usually for various reasons of power retention and finance) than truly unknown unknowns. I can imagine almost anything. Saban being unmasked as a cyborg is a known possibility.

How do you know they will? I've heard zero news of them pursuing anyone. How do you know they already know who will leave?
Pj fleck has stated the final spot would be used with late qualifier, transfer, ECT numerous times since early signing day..

The unknown unknown thing is a form of WHOCOULDANODE school of economic theory, most recently displayed after the financial crisis of 2007-2008. WHOUCOULDANODE what might happen?

WHOCOULDANODE is a common legal defense, right Bob? Plausible deniability for bad (or potentially illegal or criminal) decisions.

WHOCOULDANODE the 737 Max would experience instrument failure at an astonishingly high rate?

WHOCOULDANODE the Vietnam War was unwinnable early on (barring a major expansion of the conflict)?

WHOCOULDANODE toppling dictatorships would result in a power vacuum filled by warring Islamic statist militias?

and on and on.

Lets be honest, it’s more a failure of imagination and conscious rejection of known possibilities (usually for various reasons of power retention and finance) than truly unknown unknowns. I can imagine almost anything. Saban being unmasked as a cyborg is a known possibility.

I don't think these are good examples of unknown unknowns. These are known unknowns.

An unknown unknown would be like getting hit by an asteroid, some pandemic virus, etc. These are literally things that come out of nowhere and cannot really be imagined.

A bit dishonest, in my opinion, to pretend that guys who came here with a promise of a scholarship down the road (Maroon shirts) are being lumped in with guys who genuinely had no such guarantee.

But it does make better marketing.

I don't think these are good examples of unknown unknowns. These are known unknowns.

An unknown unknown would be like getting hit by an asteroid, some pandemic virus, etc. These are literally things that come out of nowhere and cannot really be imagined.

Well, like I said one person’s unknown isn’t necessarily another person’s unknown.

I’ve been thinking for the last hour or so on the last thing that came out of left field and surprised me and I’d have to say Chip and Joanna Gaines selection as Game Day guest pickers. I did not see that coming, shame on me.

I am glad that he is recognizing players like John Santaga and Justin Juenemann who contribute greatly to the success of the team even though they do not see the playing field.

I think Tyler Cooper will get his later this year or early next year. Maybe as soon as after Spring Practice.

and on and on.

Having been a scholar of the French Indochinese War I did predict that the war in Vietnam would not be won. Their stategy would be the same, just bleed us until we would go home.

Having been a scholar of the French Indochinese War I did predict that the war in Vietnam would not be won. Their stategy would be the same, just bleed us until we would go home.

Oh, the contemporaries pulling the strings knew.

Similarly, IIRC the infamous press briefings Rummy was making things up about “unknown unknowns“ after the mess was created and it became difficult to get out. They knew, they just didn’t care for various reasons.

Cooper cannot get a scholarship until June
Looking for clarification -- does Udoibok now have a four year scholarship guarantee because he was awarded his scholarship after only one semester?

could have been won if the rules of engagement had not hindered the military's ability to prosecute the war.

So they say. The famous Gen Giap quote was that we would kill ten of them and they would kill one of us and we would get tired of the war and go home. The people of Vietnam wanted the people of Vietnam to govern Vietnam and never saw us as anything other than the new colonialists replacing the French. I admire most of the men who served, it just saddens me that they died and were maimed for nearly nothing. I'm obviously of the "only fight when you have to fight" school of thought.

So they say. The famous Gen Giap quote was that we would kill ten of them and they would kill one of us and we would get tired of the war and go home. The people of Vietnam wanted the people of Vietnam to govern Vietnam and never saw us as anything other than the new colonialists replacing the French. I admire most of the men who served, it just saddens me that they died and were maimed for nearly nothing. I'm obviously of the "only fight when you have to fight" school of thought.
Rumor has it that running water is just around the corner! Progress!

Looking for clarification -- does Udoibok now have a four year scholarship guarantee because he was awarded his scholarship after only one semester?
If he enrolled early for last spring ball, that may be why he has his now, as it would’ve been a year now. That would make sense for why Cooper wasn’t announced if he didnt enroll until last summer or fall.

I am glad that he is recognizing players like John Santaga and Justin Juenemann who contribute greatly to the success of the team even though they do not see the playing field.

I think Tyler Cooper will get his later this year or early next year. Maybe as soon as after Spring Practice.

Correction. Santaga was on special teams most of the season.

could have been won if the rules of engagement had not hindered the military's ability to prosecute the war.

Beyond the concerns about a wider confrontation involving the Chinese and Soviets by most accounts the South Vietnamese citizenry were not supportive or engaged participants after witnessing rampant corruption in a string of inept governments. They also (rightfully) feared retribution both internally from widespread homegrown insurgents and externally from Hanoi if the US ever withdrew which seemed inevitable. Hanoi knew it, the US government knew it and early on. Sure, the war could have been expanded dramatically, Hanoi taken but at what cost and for what reason? Occupations of hostile citizenry have a way of going stale.

It was a series of increasingly bad decisions, tragically wishful thinking and political cravenness not matched until Rummy and his pals were making up fantasies in their heads decades later.

And here we are in 2020 with a sizable percentage of the American population clamoring for communists. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Why are we discussing vietnam war, don rumsfield, and other BS in a thread about Scholarship count?

Why are we discussing vietnam war, don rumsfield, and other BS in a thread about Scholarship count?

Because it's early February on a college football message board. Welcome to the offseason.

Once you get beyond about 10-15 posts the OP no longer matters in most threads.

It's almost like a. . . conversation.

Well, I'm by no means by a thread going off the beaten path, this one is far down the path. Although preferable to the normal kill vs fleck tangents

It's almost like a. . . conversation.

Gets frustrating when you are interested in the topic the thread is supposed to be about and you have to wade through pages of content that has nothing to do with that topic at all in order to find the posts that might actually relate to what the thread is supposed to be about.

Gets frustrating when you are interested in the topic the thread is supposed to be about and you have to wade through pages of content that has nothing to do with that topic at all in order to find the posts that might actually relate to what the thread is supposed to be about.

I get it, I just think this would be a pretty dead message board this time of year if everyone stayed on topic.

The truth about the scholarship count - - none of us know where we are at and we won't for several months.

Top Bottom