Scholarship count

That’s low, I’m pretty sure. There is another thread back a few that had more details.

With Howard announcing the magic number is 6, so we’d be at 91 if it started today.

According to the 247 grid when I remove Sassack and Howard it is 88. Oh I also removed McGill and Thomas as signees.

Right Sassack, so then 5 (assuming no 25th in this class and no transfer to replace Winfield). So 90

That’s with 24 signees otherwise.

Also, there are two guys who sat out who are due to go on scholarship, Guedet and Udoibok.

Just to update this thread Phillip Howard III has entered the portal. Thats one more scholorship available.

edit to my above post...Cooper, not Guedet, is the oline guy who sat out and is due to go on scholarship...gray shirt or maroon shirt i think...he's from St Croix Falls...

Either the news is just late, or ... waiting until a week before the semester starts to make this decision?? Not very prudent ...
You are assuming PH just made this decision.

I believe that Coach Fleck has said that they would help players to transfer. Late entry into the Transfer Portal, may be a sign that somethings been going on behind the scenes, with Howard there's a good chance that he was waiting to hear if he was accepted into his program of choice. I wouldn't be suprised if we hear of where he's going within a week.

PJ is going to clear the space needed to sign 25 and add a transfer or two. The goal is to win a national championship. The template formula to do that doesn’t allow classes less than 25 each year. Like SON said, it’s a business. The AD wants to win. I’m confident “the how” has been discussed.

PJ is going to clear the space needed to sign 25 and add a transfer or two. The goal is to win a national championship. The template formula to do that doesn’t allow classes less than 25 each year. Like SON said, it’s a business. The AD wants to win. I’m confident “the how” has been discussed.

What template formula? Nobody signs 25 and adds transfers every year.

That brings my count to 90 then.
Right, so there we are.

Will depend on how many guys decide to (*cough* are asked to *cough) transfer out, but if he can do it I don't see why Fleck would not want to sign a 25th and bring in another (grad) transfer, especially if someone high level like St Juste or JDS becomes available.

A premier example of double-talk, at its very finest.

If you couldn't follow, that is more on you than it is on him.

It was an inarticulate way of describing a really important concept. It was incredibly easy to follow though.

PJ has said a couple of times that they have room for 1 more player. I think it was on signing day and I can't remember the next time he said it.

PJ has said a couple of times that they have room for 1 more player. I think it was on signing day and I can't remember the next time he said it.

Hard to say if he meant room in that they’ve signed 24 of the 25 limit or he knows at least 6 players are leaving thus creating room on the 85 man roster.

Well, Alabama has had the following...not counting guys under the radar:
2019- 27
2018- 21
2017- 29
2016- 24
2015- 24
You get the idea? That template.

2019- 27
2018- 21
2017- 29
2016- 24
2015- 24

Saban eats difficult conversations for breakfast too?

Last edited:

2019- 27
2018- 21
2017- 29
2016- 24
2015- 24
So they signed less than 25 three of the last five years? Even though they have way more guys leave early for the nfl. They also have more guys transferring I’m sure. Yet they still aren’t signing 25 every year, even though they are in the shadiest conference when it comes to recruiting tactics.

If you couldn't follow, that is more on you than it is on him.

It was an inarticulate way of describing a really important concept. It was incredibly easy to follow though.

I disagree, Bob.

What he said had no real substance at all, and therefore there is nothing to "follow".

Rumsfeld is the kind of person who, with exaggerated 'patience', over-explains something that we know already — something that's obvious, and banal to the point of being meaningless. He loves to talk down to his audience, and it shows.

He is smug, condescending, and arrogant.

Last edited:

So they signed less than 25 three of the last five years? Even though they have way more guys leave early for the nfl. They also have more guys transferring I’m sure. Yet they still aren’t signing 25 every year, even though they are in the shadiest conference when it comes to recruiting tactics.
I think you've made your point understood, and you are probably correct.

There will be times in the future where the best thing for the Gophers program is to sign less than 25 new non-grad transfer players to schollys.

I disagree, Bob.

What he said had no real substance at all, and therefore there is nothing to "follow".

Rumsfeld is the kind of person who, with exaggerated 'patience', over-explains something that we know already — something that's obvious, and banal to the point of being meaningless. He loves to talk down to his audience, and it shows.

He is smug, condescending, and arrogant.

Ok, none of your points follow any sort of logic.

(1) Of course it has substance. It is one of the biggest mistakes people make all of the time. I see it everyday in the legal profession - how you handle the known unknowns and prepare for the unknown unknowns is absolutely vital. It has absolute substance.

(2) Your second point is at odds with calling it "doubletalk". If he is simply stating the obvious, then it wouldn't be double-talk. You might say it's condescending, but it's really a difficult argument to say something is both double-talk and obvious.

(3) You are simply stating things you don't like about Rumsfield. I get it, your politics make you react a certain way to this clip. I don't like Rummy either, but I can separate the message from the messenger.

What he is describing, in a less than articulate manner, is actually really important in strategy sessions. It often seems obvious, but planning for the "unknown unknowns" is a different animal than planning for "known unknowns".

Top Bottom