Ruesse's 1st guest on KSTP 1500am on Monday will be....

GopherLady

Reaction score
...none other than head football coach Tim Brewster! He will be on a little after noon, so tune in. I'm not sure what to expect, but it will be entertaining!

Wow. There's nothing else today. I wonder if Reusse was given a direct order or if he decided this himself. Kudos to Brew for accepting in any case.

That is a great start for Gopher fans on the new Sports Leader in town. It will be a can't miss interview if there ever was one.

Love it, as long as it doesn't grow into a shouting match it should be entertaining, plus it shows that KSTP thinks the Gopher market is important. The sooner KFAVRE is gone the better!

Is anyone else expecting this to turn into an oddly hilarious love/hate relationship? Sort of like a more bitter versoin of Kiper v McShay?

Mighty big of Brewster. If it was me, I would have told him to go f*** himself.

I am guessing Reusse was told to develop a relationship where it can be a weekly thing.

I wish I could listen. This will probably be civil, yet hilarious at the same time.

I am guessing Reusse was told to develop a relationship where it can be a weekly thing.

You'll be able to tell if the infamous shots at Dallas Skyline High School come up and Ruesse admits that while he never went to print with those accusations, he did make them on Saturday Morning Sports Talk.

If it doesn't come up then I'm with you RaT, both parties have agreed to "try and make nice".

I'm guessing Reusse knows good radio.

The problem with Reusse is not that he doesn't neccesarily tell the truth, it is just that he seems to go out of his way to take pot shots. This should be interesting.

You'll be able to tell if the infamous shots at Dallas Skyline High School come up and Ruesse admits that while he never went to print with those accusations, he did make them on Saturday Morning Sports Talk.

If it doesn't come up then I'm with you RaT, both parties have agreed to "try and make nice".

Please elaborate. I must have missed that one.

Wow:eek:
Unreal, but a good thing. I would expect them to size each other up early. Hopefully this isn't an attempt of Reusse's to make a shock jock moment and get publicity.
It is a good thing though, and I kinda agree that they might end up being a love/hate thing, Reusse said he has made good freinds of former enemies in the past. Brewster has shown some public ease in his rivalry with the wisky fatneck coach. Who knows, I'll be listening though.

I've never listened to Ruesse's show and I haven't read a column since his TOY one, but I will definately listen to this on demand when I get home Mon night. This could be great radio!

Please elaborate. I must have missed that one.

If my memory serves, on a Saturday Morning Sports Talk show Pat and Joe were talking about the Dallas Skyline kids that Brewster had gotten into school up here. He said a sportswriter buddy of his said that everybody in Dallas knew that the kids were all "gangsters and thugs over there". If they got into Minnesota that Brewster must have leaned on someone or standards had to me lowered.

It ticked-me off, but I thought that was going to be as far as it would go.

Ruesse later wrote a column after talking to Brewster who, evidentially had brought it up. Ruesse made it clear to Brewster and the reader that he had never "written a word" of that stuff. He ended the column with the same phrase.

As far as I know, Pat was telling the truth about not writing about it.

He certainly did though, say those things on the air.

I'm guessing and hoping, that none it will come up on Monday.

Hmmmm...perhaps KSTP sees the potential (or lack of coverage from KFAN) of the gopher market??

You know, I stopped reading Reusse's articles a long time ago because they're too negative for me but listening to him on The Sports Show gave me a different perspective. On The Sports Show (Sundays on Ch. 23 with Sid, Dark and Mike Max) Reusse seems pretty even handed. I wonder if he doesn't spin his articles whatever way necessary to stir the pot?

My hope for Brewster's appearance is not for Reusse to behave a certain way, I hope Brewster himselft takes of the cliche hat and shares some real information with Reusse.

Hmmmm...perhaps KSTP sees the potential (or lack of coverage from KFAN) of the gopher market??

You know, I stopped reading Reusse's articles a long time ago because they're too negative for me but listening to him on The Sports Show gave me a different perspective. On The Sports Show (Sundays on Ch. 23 with Sid, Dark and Mike Max) Reusse seems pretty even handed. I wonder if he doesn't spin his articles whatever way necessary to stir the pot?

My hope for Brewster's appearance is not for Reusse to behave a certain way, I hope Brewster himselft takes of the cliche hat and shares some real information with Reusse.

Reusse's dislike for Brewster has very little to do with his recruiting and coaching abilities. Pat's major complaint about Brewster is his total inability to cut out the over-the-top enthusiasm and cliches and talk candidly and realistically about Gophers football. Unfortunately, I don't think Brew is capable of doing that. I believe what we see is really who he is. Brewster's personality can be very off-putting for a lot of people. However, 18 year old high school football players seem to love it.

Reusse's dislike for Brewster has very little to do with his recruiting and coaching abilities. Pat's major complaint about Brewster is his total inability to cut out the over-the-top enthusiasm and cliches and talk candidly and realistically about Gophers football. Unfortunately, I don't think Brew is capable of doing that. I believe what we see is really who he is. Brewster's personality can be very off-putting for a lot of people. However, 18 year old high school football players seem to love it.

It's Brewster's job to be a cheerleader for the Gophers. It's Reusse's job to talk candidly and realistically about the Gophers.

It's Brewster's job to be a cheerleader for the Gophers. It's Reusse's job to talk candidly and realistically about the Gophers.

It's his job to say whatever he wants (or whatever gets him paid/gets listeners/gets pageviews). He gets paid for his opinions, not facts (which we've all seen). I don't like, you don't like it, we all don't like it. But it is what it is.

I would expect both parties to treat each other with civility on the air. Then, when off the air, they will go back to hating each other and Reusse will resume his cheap shots. However I will be tuning in with the off chance that this interview ends up resembling a speeding car flying off of a cliff.

Opinions are only valuable where facts are not available. I can't have an "opinion" that London is the capital of Spain, for example, that's not an opinion, that's just plain wrong. The distinction between opinion and fact has become increasingly blurred.

I suppose you could say that so long as he's still on the air that he's doing his job. That's true in one sense. But when people spend their time listening to someone talk about sports, they are looking for an honest informed opinion and information, not whatever slop someone feels like slinging. If he doesn't like Brewster's optimism, he should suck it up and behave like a professional. It would please many in the local media if Brewster was to wear sackcloth and ashes, and reject any hope at a Rose Bowl, but that is not his job.

I might be way off on this but I think that the local media are starting to realize that Brew isn't putting on a schtick, its just the way he is. Maturi has said it, Tom Powers has said it, maybe Ruesse is starting to realize it? I think people will automatically roll their eyes because they think it is an act, but upon realizing that it is not an act actually find it kind of endearing.

Huh?

I would "guess" you're wrong on both parts. Brewster's Twitter was juvenile and Maturi let him know that. If you're a BCS coach, your skin better be a little thicker.

What makes you think that there will be a weekly radio interview? WCCO still has the Gopher contract. Brewster will not give his time for free to Pat.

Opinions are only valuable where facts are not available. I can't have an "opinion" that London is the capital of Spain, for example, that's not an opinion, that's just plain wrong. The distinction between opinion and fact has become increasingly blurred.

I suppose you could say that so long as he's still on the air that he's doing his job. That's true in one sense. But when people spend their time listening to someone talk about sports, they are looking for an honest informed opinion and information, not whatever slop someone feels like slinging. If he doesn't like Brewster's optimism, he should suck it up and behave like a professional. It would please many in the local media if Brewster was to wear sackcloth and ashes, and reject any hope at a Rose Bowl, but that is not his job.

I agree with you (oh how do I agree with you!)...The people who pay him don't seem to. That's all I'm saying. :)

This can bode well for both parties, as any factual Gopher coverage will open KTSP to more listeners. U Athletics may not be a huge resource, but it's a significantly untapped one in the radio market. Reusse is going to bash Brewster until there's a modicum of success. If he can manage to say something positive about the effort of the kids on the field nonetheless, and even name a few names without mincing them, I would consider this a very good thing. Of course, most would say I'm very naive for thinking this, heh.

Top Bottom