Ruesse's 1st guest on KSTP 1500am on Monday will be....

Exactly

This is mainly for shock value.

This is a great chance to get more Gopher coverage. The more of us that tune in or listen online, the higher the ratings. The higher ratings with Gopher coverage = more Gopher coverage. Its all about ratings, that's how the stations sell advertising/make money and if covering the U gets ratings they'll continue covering Gopher sports.

Coach Brewster understands

"My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me - keep your friends close but your enemies closer."

And if I were Coach Brewster it would be a live sit down with the Fat A$$ from fulda at KSTP. I would take along Rasheede Hageman and show a little muscle.

Unfortunately for GopherGod, it's looking like there will never be a grand jury investigation into the "Fat Pat" twitter afterall. :p

Reusse's dislike for Brewster has very little to do with his recruiting and coaching abilities. Pat's major complaint about Brewster is his total inability to cut out the over-the-top enthusiasm and cliches and talk candidly and realistically about Gophers football. Unfortunately, I don't think Brew is capable of doing that. I believe what we see is really who he is. Brewster's personality can be very off-putting for a lot of people. However, 18 year old high school football players seem to love it.

so Pat doesn't like his over the top enthusiasm

well

whooop--deeeee-daaaam-dooooo

by the way....i once heard patrick say on air that he had it in for brewster the instant he said "GOPHER NATION"

how old are we patrick?

Mighty big of Brewster. If it was me, I would have told him to go f*** himself.

I am guessing Reusse was told to develop a relationship where it can be a weekly thing.

I completely agree with you. Regardless of what you think about Brewster as a coach, Reusse never gave him a chance from day one.

can someone please post a link of this

I will be travelling and can't listen to the live broadcast - I'd like to hear it tho

I will be travelling and can't listen to the live broadcast - I'd like to hear it tho

holereader: the website is www.am1500 if that helps. By the way, when Reusse was on with Soucheray yesterday afternoon he told Joe that Brewster was going to be on with him on Monday. Patrick said that they had "buried the hatchet."

Joe asked if Brewster was going to be in the studio.

Patrick's replay was "let's not go THAT far!" :)

Wow, great start for KSTP, I really hope they can bury the hatchet.

holereader: the website is www.am1500 if that helps. By the way, when Reusse was on with Soucheray yesterday afternoon he told Joe that Brewster was going to be on with him on Monday. Patrick said that they had "buried the hatchet."

Joe asked if Brewster was going to be in the studio.

Patrick's replay was "let's not go THAT far!" :)

lol

I might be way off on this but I think that the local media are starting to realize that Brew isn't putting on a schtick, its just the way he is. Maturi has said it, Tom Powers has said it, maybe Ruesse is starting to realize it? I think people will automatically roll their eyes because they think it is an act, but upon realizing that it is not an act actually find it kind of endearing.

I can tell you first hand after speaking directly to him one on one on multiple occasions that is the REAL Tim Brewster. It's that exuberance that recruits love about the man. It's funny because Tim Brewster believes more in the Minnesota Gophers than most folks who were born and raised here.

My belief 5 years ago was the Gophers could be a great program if they had a coach who put more effort in hyping the program and recruiting and if their fans didn't generally suck (you know who you are). We now have a coach who is a tireless recruiter and has crazy love for the program. While the student fans still suck beyond belief, I think the other fans have now risen to mediocre. If folks realize we have not been relevant since Coach Brewster was in diapers and give the man a chance, I think he will right the ship to (don't get mad) Wisconsin and Iowa status within the next 2-3 years. Which if you consider our schedule opposed to theirs is actually better.

Not to worry

The way I see it (my own opinion), it's in everyone's interest for the interview to be a success. KSTP/ESPN and Reusse want to take sports listeners away from KFAN. The Gophers want the football program talked about on the air, positive would be nice but at least talked about.

With the new sports station in town, KFAN will be willing to get on their knee's to retain listeners so they will definately be more gopher friendly (as long as they believe they have a chance to establish a relationship with the gophers). I guarantee for the near future we will not be hearing any gopher and fan bashing on KFAN. For the near future, the gophers and the fans have power.

My belief is that once Reusse gets to know coach Brewster they will establish a mutally beneficial working relationship. We should blow up the call line on Monday to let them know that talking gopher football is a good thing for ratings.

I'm looking forward to the 2:00 - 4:00 time slots with both Soucheray and Reusse together. For other old-timers out there, I remember discovering SportsTalk in the 80's. They had some funny regular callers. I remember some caller that had great impersonations like Angel from the Rockford Files.

Last week I emailed the program director at KSTP and suggested some in depth gopher coverage would benefit them and help them compete with KFAN, adding that in depth and positive gopher takes would be great but that critical analysis and realistic takes are understandably part of any in depth and informed coverage.
I did get an email back thanking me for the interest and that they intend to do just that. Good to hear. I'll be listening!

I listened this morning for a few minutes just prior to 9:00am on my way into downtown and I was decently impressed. They were talking Gopher sports and seemed informed without trying to be overly critical just to be critical like some other sports station

I listened this morning

I listened to the new format on KSTP this morning driving in…they got bought by ESPN and now compete with KFAN. They went on for about a half an hour about how these are “dark, dark days at the U of M”. They talked about how The WILD hockey team just shot a salvo across town at the Gopher program when they traded one of their draft picks, a Gopher, saying that, they don’t want anybody from that program because they are “directionless and emotionless”. WOW. They went on to say that regardless of which major program, the longer the kids stay there, the worse they get. Their synopsis was pretty much what I stated a couple weeks ago, and I paraphrase: The U of M, from the top administration on down, has a mission of offering opportunities to student athletes. Nothing wrong with that, but they do NOT have a mission of excelling or competing at a national level in the major sports. They do NOT want to compete in FB, BB, Hockey, etc. All major sports are suffering over there, and Maturi states in Sid’s column today that “there’s always our swimming team”. What a joke. The U needs to dump some of these sports that nobody cares about and focus on competing at a major level in the ones that really count. That is exactly what Wisconsin did when Donna Shelelah took over the helms and hired Barry Alvarez. They were right –on in my humble opinion. The U LOVES mediocrity but they have LOTS of sports opportunities. They used the Royce White episode quite a bit and said, that when he had his trouble, instead of embracing the kid and helping him out of a tough situation (even though his grades were good, he was pulling a 3.3. gpa) they basically wanted him expelled. Very typical of the U. Besides, kids like that would take us to a new level on the bb court, and the U doesn’t ‘t want that.

Anyway, just thought I’d share what they were discussing. I’ve said it many times, but they refuse to have me as a guest on their show *ha*. I’m telling you, the only way a school like us can stay out of the Rose Bowl for as long as we have, is to have an administration that is very set in their ways of not wanting to compete at a major level. It’s more than just coaching.

Anyone know if KSTP has a blackberry app yet? WCCO has one, but I can't track one down for KSTP.

Reusse is being really polite and great.

Asking good questions about recruiting, Brew says the recruiting season never stops doesn't know how they ever recruited with out the cell phone. Talked about how it's tough that kids are supposed to take officials at the same time they're high school seasons are going on.

Talked about adding size at RB with Edwards and talked about how recruiting addressing pressing needs. Discussed the O-line and how it needs to improve as a whole, and the red shirts should help.

Brew is staying through the break. I'm really pleased with how Reusse is driving the interview, great topical questions that are relevant. You can tell that he does follow what's going on and actually knows a good deal about the team.

Why does the whole world think Nate Triplett was a walk on (Not just Reusse)?

Reusse to Brewster: After this, is there hope for Israel and Palestine?

Asking if the move to pro set is a reflection on "midwestern" style of players that are available, Brew said it is more that it is almost impossible to close out games without a solid run game.

When asked about the emotions of the Wisconsin/Iowa rivalries, said it is like Brew and Reusse's feeling for each other, there is a lot of passion there.

About Weber's play, the changes didn't have as much effect on his poor performance as the surrounding players. The MSU game he had good protection from the o-line and the WRs were playing well. Brew summed it up by saying that Weber plays well when people around him play well.

Thinks Horton will be here for some time, really likes to run the ball. Offense will still spread out and throw but will run as well.

Thinks there is plenty of room in the town for Gophers and Vikings, really likes Childress and congratulated them.

Talking about Triplett and Lawrence at TX vs Nation game, very pleased with how they played and thinks they both got on the radar of NFL teams. Tripplett is just coming into his own in Brew's opinion.

Walkon program is vital to the team, great to bring in guys who got into the U on their own.

Reusse thinks there may be hope for Israel and Palestine after this interview.

Thanks for the synopsis, sounds like a good interview. Who knew lol

Did you catch the last statement

When
brewster said "down deep I know you (Ruesse) are a Gopher Fan. Ruesse didn't respond or acknowledge that statement. Other than that the interview was quite civil.

Thanks for the synopsis, sounds like a good interview. Who knew lol

Good tone to whole interview, seemed like an olive branch from Reusse to Brewster alot of subjects and discussion topics that were pretty general. I would expect an agreement is in place behind the scenes that Brewster will come back and take some tougher questions at a later date. Good specifics though, it does appear that Reusse at least follows the program to an extent unlike KFAN's coverage. Might be the old school in Reusse, like maybe if you plan on writing or talking about a team you should actually watch their games once in awhile. Amazing that isn't a requirement for media today.

When
brewster said "down deep I know you (Ruesse) are a Gopher Fan. Ruesse didn't respond or acknowledge that statement. Other than that the interview was quite civil.

that was hilarious.....that was more gopher knowledge and discussion than you will get from KFAN the next 10 years combined

When

I have read and listened to Reusse for a long time. I have no doubt that he was a true Gopher fan at one time. I doubt that he still considers himself a fan, but he is still very informed about the teams. The question from day to day is whether he will feel like emphasizing the positive or the negative. There's usually not an in-between.

YEs Rog - I did!

When

Ruesse let the opportunity go right by him.

Brew, for all his faults, seems like a very driven individual that works very hard to succeed.

Top Bottom