Reusse: Fleck realizes you can fool most of the people some of the time, and Gophers fans nearly all of the time

I usually think that this board gets a little too bent out of shape about Reusse stuff, but this article doesn't make much sense. I thought he was going to point to some concrete statement of Fleck putting this blame on someone else, but he doesn't. He seems angry that PJ didn't go into more detail of why it was his fault, but that should be elicited by reporters, not on PJ to lay out all his bad decisions.

He claims Fleck disingenuously takes blame for the loss. Well is Fleck backhandedly blaming someone other than himself? Because I didn’t hear it at all. It’d be one thing for Fleck to say:
“this loss is on nobody but myself, I didn’t get it done. It’s not on the dropped balls. It’s not on Morgan’s crucial interception after we just recovered their fumble. It’s not on Faalele getting injured, mumbles *damn pussy get up and play some football* It’s all on me”.
Fleck doesn’t need to make pinpoint claims as to what makes the game his fault for losing exactly. what a stupid article
PJ said multiple times the reason we lost is because we didn’t make enough plays. The players usually make plays, today they didn’t.

When questioned about strategy there is rarely any doubt in his mind he made the only choice. No question we punt on fourth and two. It was clearly the only rational decision.
Etc Etc. Never is preparation or strategy on him with any specifics. Just the blanket it all falls on me.

That’s not genuinely accepting responsibility. It would be like me saying “Absolutely, I support PJ 100% he’s our coach.” Could say the same thing about the office of President.
I do but I’m going to offer my criticisms how they could do better.

PJ does the same. Says it his responsibility but avoids accepting it when it comes to preparation and strategy. How long have we known how Wisconsin plays defense? We had no Seth Green pass on the goal line because?
We didn’t leak a TE out at any time because?
We did nothing to confuse or surprise Wisconsin with our offense. Yet, PJ felt we didn’t make enough plays. That’s why we lost.
Might be some of what Reusse sees?

PJ runs on the field and is penalized. Responsibility? Nope, he didn’t know it was rule. Didn’t matter anyway. That was his response.

Not a lot of “I have to do better.” “I can’t make that mistake. Failure is how we grow.” (Doesn’t seem to apply to him) “That was my fault”. “We should have done that, we didn’t but I will learn from it. Thank you.” “I’m learning I will do better”. Regarding strategy or preparation or coaching decisions these kinds of responsibility answers are not heard.

What makes this sad is that he is a great writer...when he wants to be.

He likes to act the part of a typical leftist.... letting us know how much smarter he is than us deplorables, and how foolish we are for being taken in.... what he does not get is that we love the spectacle of Golden Gopher football regardless, and cannot be swayed.
Keep politics on the OTB! :mad:

For a guy nobody pays attention to, there is a thread every time he writes a column. Interesting.

PJ said multiple times the reason we lost is because we didn’t make enough plays. The players usually make plays, today they didn’t.

When questioned about strategy there is rarely any doubt in his mind he made the only choice. No question we punt on fourth and two. It was clearly the only rational decision.
Etc Etc. Never is preparation or strategy on him with any specifics. Just the blanket it all falls on me.

That’s not genuinely accepting responsibility. It would be like me saying “Absolutely, I support PJ 100% he’s our coach.” Could say the same thing about the office of President.
I do but I’m going to offer my criticisms how they could do better.

PJ does the same. Says it his responsibility but avoids accepting it when it comes to preparation and strategy. How long have we known how Wisconsin plays defense? We had no Seth Green pass on the goal line because?
We didn’t leak a TE out at any time because?
We did nothing to confuse or surprise Wisconsin with our offense. Yet, PJ felt we didn’t make enough plays. That’s why we lost.
Might be some of what Reusse sees?
Curious as to why people such as yourself can’t accept the blanket answer of it “falls on him”. Why do you need lip service? I don’t. I don’t need him to tell me over again about what we all witnessed with our own eyes. We can see what went wrong, I don’t need the coach to grovel at our feet for forgiveness. I don’t need him to give me the laundry list as to all the ways he specifically messed up. He gave a blanket statement about the playmakers not making plays in that game. That’s not shifting responsibility, it’s true. They didn’t make the big plays they’ve made all year. I don’t see that as shifting blame.

He likes to act the part of a typical leftist.... letting us know how much smarter he is than us deplorables, and how foolish we are for being taken in.... what he does not get is that we love the spectacle of Golden Gopher football regardless, and cannot be swayed.

Really? I think he likes to act the part of the typical righty.....who's terrified of change and has a general distrust of a coach under 60.

What does Pat say about that Vikings Coach last night? Did he admit that he was completely responsible for that nasty showing of the work he and his staff put into that game against the Seahawks?

How about the Viking braintrust that spends 25 million a year for a quarterback and then puts a totally inadequate offensive line on the field?
Note to Reusse: PJ talks too fast for my tastes...so I just don’t listen to him. But his players do. They count, I don’t. I pay attention to the Big Ten record and PJ’s trend in that regard is his friend and impresses me very much. 7-2 in conference in 2019. The Viking’s coach doesn’t stack up very well in that comparison. Rip the viking’s coach a new one for his effort against Seattle, Pat. That was a BIG,BAD loss Pat. So write about that stinker of a coaching effort.

"Fleck realizes that you can fool most of the people some of the time, and Gophers fans nearly all of the time..."

Hmmmm...

I don't have a Strib subscription, so I haven't read the entire column. May I assume that Patrick reveals exactly how Fleck is "fooling" us moronic, gullible Gopher fans?

Since Pat's premise is that people like me are being bamboozled by P.J. Fleck, the conman, I'm genuinely curious. How am I — and Gopher fans like me — being taken in by this huckster?

Weird, Pat is bashing PJ again?!? I mean Fleck only won Big Ten Coach of the Year and brought a divisional title to Minnesota. Tell me again what Claeys, Kill or Mason had won us?

Weird, Pat is bashing PJ again?!? I mean Fleck only won Big Ten Coach of the Year and brought a divisional title to Minnesota. Tell me again what Claeys, Kill or Mason had won us?

Read it again. Pat saves his biggest insult for Gopher fans. Apparently we're all gullible morons, being bamboozled by the great con man P.J. Fleck — at least, that's reality according to Reusse.

Yet some people here admire Pat.

You don’t like Pat bashing PJ and show it by bashing all of our most recent coaches? Makes lots of sense.

he blocked me on twitter and I was critical in a class way about his negativity, he can dish but cannot take

You don’t like Pat bashing PJ and show it by bashing all of our most recent coaches? Makes lots of sense.

Pat's really bashing Gopher fans. He's simply trolling. That's how he makes his bones these days.

Read it again. Pat saves his biggest insult for Gopher fans. Apparently we're all gullible morons, being bamboozled by the great con man P.J. Fleck — at least, that's reality according to Reusse.

Yet some people here admire Pat.

The funny part about Pat is that he doesn’t remember what he writes . For instance look at his 2011 article that talked about the Gophers not making it to a prestigious bowl game. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t we projected to go to the Outback or Citrus Bowl?

http://m.startribune.com/reusse-ano...game-caps-50-years-of-u-s-futility/136348793/

pat ripped Mason too, liked country jer and big country yet staffers say Kill was the hardest Coach to deal with. Forced a buyout of NC (on future schedule) and had a fit couldn't buy out TCU.

I have watched the Gophers for a very long time including Memorial Stadium and Fleck makes my teeth itch and his followers are a bit of a cult.

If Brewster had got.the Gophers to 10-2, the Rose Bowl Turf would be a sacred relic in Minnesota. Perhaps you should get your teeth looked at. Dental hygiene is very important.

For a guy nobody pays attention to, there is a thread every time he writes a column. Interesting.
For a program that WI fans always say is irrelevant, they sure do spend a lot of time talking about them. Interesting.

You do realize it’s takes just one person out of the 100’s here to post it, right? Bleed posts just about every article related to MN. You should know that by now. It’s really not interesting.

L
Put your personal
Keep politics on the OTB! :mad:
Exactly !

Why? What did Kill, Claeys, or Mason have to do with this article?

Have you read the past articles by Pat? He is critical of all 3 coaches, but would at least praise them if it looked like our program was heading in the right direction. I’ve yet to see an article from Pat that actually acknowledges Fleck success stories.

Have you read the past articles by Pat? He is critical of all 3 coaches, but would at least praise them if it looked like our program was heading in the right direction. I’ve yet to see an article from Pat that actually acknowledges Fleck success stories.
Well, he gives PJ credit for knowing he can fool most people some of the time?
/s

I was a little offended by Fleck's post game presser.

Main reason for loss.... Repeatedly said that "we did not make the plays". That 100% insinuates that the fault is on the players even if it may not have been entirely what he meant.

Then when question on punting in first quarter he stated it was the obvious and only smart option. I thought that was condescending since I am sure many of the players wanted to go for it and certainly many fans are wishing he went for it. Took no fault in even saying that maybe he would do it differently now looking back.

Been a fan for a long time but not a fan of Fleck's "style". I think he can motivate a room any time he wants and sell anything but it starts to get old and I think players are going to start seeing through it and listening less as he talks and talks and it will go in one ear and out the other. Worried his "style" will erode with players and fans over time.

Was also disappointed that he told the team on Tuesday they were co-champs and said he was proud of them no matter what happened in game. You do not put the thought of losing in player's minds.

He claims Fleck disingenuously takes blame for the loss. Well is Fleck backhandedly blaming someone other than himself? Because I didn’t hear it at all.

I could give you an example of him doing that last year if you are truly interested.

It's amazing how much people parse a coach's words looking for some hidden meaning and critical of any point no matter what it is...including many here. Who gives a bleep. Same goes for Reusse. He wouldn't have job if not for all the nattering nabobs of negativism fretting about this and that - because this sort of thing is all he's qualified to do nowadays when it comes to major college sports.

Top Bottom