Reports: Minnesota Crookston, St. Cloud State to drop football

St Cloud area is very conservative, from what I understand. Not sure how Mankato is.

Mankato also has money, I think from Glenn Taylor, who is an alum of MSU, and Taylor Corp.

St. Cloud is conservative, but so are a lot of rural/outstate cities. St. Cloud's conservatism is a little different though. There seem to be more overt incidents of racism in St. Cloud, confederate flags here and there, and a more hostile, redneck mentality. I don't know how to describe it, but it's just a meaner vibe in that area. I've never really seen or felt anything like that in places like Mankato or Winona or Fargo-Moorhead.

St. Cloud is conservative, but so are a lot of rural/outstate cities. St. Cloud's conservatism is a little different though. There seem to be more overt incidents of racism in St. Cloud, confederate flags here and there, and a more hostile, redneck mentality. I don't know how to describe it, but it's just a meaner vibe in that area. I've never really seen or felt anything like that in places like Mankato or Winona or Fargo-Moorhead.

The issues certainly are more noticeable. They're in a weird not suburb of the twin cities ... but suburban ish city and population challenges situation ... and some folks yeah really seem to act out there.

Well, that's the thing isn't it? Duluth, and other smaller areas, have to figure out how to make themselves stay relevant in the "Gig age". Duluth is a wonderful town to visit, when it's not the winter. Rochester has the medical/tech thing. The rest of the out-state areas in MN? Not sure what they've got going for them. Mankato has Taylor Corp, but no idea what it does, and there are some other examples, such as Digikey way up in TRF.

As more and more "family farms" die off, in place of corporate agriculture and/or urban agriculture, you indeed wonder what will happen to small ag towns.

Winona has a fortune 500 company that is continuously expanding.

I literally can't see the reason for UM-Crookston to exist. Within 100 miles, there are multiple 4-year colleges in better locations. I'm not even sure what niche it is supposed to fill. Morris has some unique things going for it and is a very highly regarded public liberal arts school.

But Crookston should always have been a D3 school.

Nope, you were correct initially. It should not be a DIII school, it should just be a closed school.

per Shooter:

St. Cloud State’s decision to eliminate football should benefit St. John’s. More than a dozen Huskies players are considering transferring to Collegeville.

Go Gophers!!

My neighbors and I were just talking about this, and we came to the conclusion that a lot of the generalizations are based on internet rumors and "fake news" (sorry). In 30 years I've never seen a confederate flag flying in town.. I've seen a few confederate bumper stickers on jacked up trucks, but I've seen that driving in the cities too. Most of the community is coping fairly well with the refugee situation, and it's true that some residents are not. You drop a few thousand East Africans in your community and see how people react. Not to mention that this is a fairly rural and small town. We didn't choose to have the problems of East Africa dumped on us, but they're here and we have to make it work.

Saint Cloud State chose to invest heavily in their hockey program at the expense of football. Another problem is that the football program switched conferences. Failure to invest in the football program affected recruiting and revenue streams. This caused other sorts of financial problems and creating a Title IX imbalance when they added men's hockey. That is the death nail of football.

The rednecks take over bars in downtown Saint Cloud during the summer time when the colleges are on summer break and most students are gone.

Most kin folks are pretty decent and friendly albeit conservative people. If you have lived in the Saint Cloud area and vicinity for a while back in the eighties, you'd know what I am talking about.

You would have encountered some incidents of subtle or overt forms of racism here and there. More so than the Twin Cities. It does exist in the communities. The current political climate probably exacerbate the situation.

Last edited:

Saint Cloud State chose to invest heavily in their hockey program at the expense of football. Another problem is that the football program switched conferences. Failure to invest in the football program affected recruiting and revenue streams. This caused other sorts of financial problems and creating a Title IX imbalance when they added men's hockey. That is the death nail of football.

The rednecks take over bars in downtown Saint Cloud during the summer time when the colleges are in summer break and most students are gone.

Most kin folks are pretty decent and friendly albeit conservative people. If you have lived in the Saint Cloud area and vicinity for a while back in the eighties, you'd know what I am talking about.

You would have encountered some incidents of subtle or overt forms of racism here and there. More so than the Twin Cities. It does exist in the communities. The current political climate probably exacerbate the situation.
I agree with this post.

St Cloud has the vibe of smallish-town Wisconsin to me. Lot of conservative whites, lot of hunters, lot of people go to townie bars. Game-feeds at bars, even (OK that was one time in my life, I have no idea how prevalent that is ... just know it was a thing, maybe still is).

Top Bottom