Reports: Minnesota Crookston, St. Cloud State to drop football

Wow. I can see Crookston dropping football. They've been terrible since their JUCO days. St. Cloud though? That's a surprise given the size of that school. They made it to the NCAA quarterfinals as recently as 2013. I'm guessing there's been a lack of investment in that program for a long time which led to this.

Football costs money. Dropping football allows you to drop football plus equivalent female sport scholarships.
If I’m a women’s sport at SCSU or Crookston I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

stories like this is why I think UST doesn’t go scholarship D1 football.

Football costs money. Dropping football allows you to drop football plus equivalent female sport scholarships.
If I’m a women’s sport at SCSU or Crookston I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

This is it. Even if football breaks even at SCSU, cutting football allows you to cut football and the cost of 5-6 female sports.

Wow. I can see Crookston dropping football. They've been terrible since their JUCO days. St. Cloud though? That's a surprise given the size of that school. They made it to the NCAA quarterfinals as recently as 2013. I'm guessing there's been a lack of investment in that program for a long time which led to this.
The Golden Eagles were decent in the NAIA days of the mid-to-late 90’s and should go back instead of staying D2. The switch from NAIA to D-II/NSIC has been the issue. You can’t be underfunded and at 20% of the enrollment of Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud and realistically compete without some magic.

I'm a little amazed by how many programs there are as it is.

St cloud has had a decline in admissions since 2010 they are down 25% since 2010 they peaked at 18500 in 2010 now they are at at 12607 students. most public colleges has had a decline except UofM. Even UMD had had a 6% decline this year, they will lay off 29 staff members soon.

Last edited:

I recall SCSU flirting with this idea in the past.

They built a new stadium in 2004. Yeah, the old field was built in the 30s, but nobody went to games anyway.

The Golden Eagles were decent in the NAIA days of the mid-to-late 90’s and should go back instead of staying D2. The switch from NAIA to D-II/NSIC has been the issue. You can’t be underfunded and at 20% of the enrollment of Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud and realistically compete without some magic.
The thought then was NAIA was dying. When they joined the NSIC, Mankato and St Cloud were in the NCC and Duluth was on it's way to moving over to the NCC. If the NCC didn't die, the NSIC is probably a good fit for MN-Crookston. They had success in the conference shortly after they moved.

They built a new stadium in 2004. Yeah, the old field was built in the 30s, but nobody went to games anyway.

That's a problem with D2 in general. You get increased scholarship, administration and travel costs over D3, with none of the public relations benefit. St. John's, Bethel and Concordia (and St. Thomas in Johnnie home game years) all have fan attendance more than any NSIC school.

Exactly. UST's timing on this is really bad. I do not see them realizing any revenue gain by going D1. They will have to spend a lot to get there and it will be into a minor conference.

Exactly. UST's timing on this is really bad. I do not see them realizing any revenue gain by going D1. They will have to spend a lot to get there and it will be into a minor conference.

Yeah word has it they've got money behind the program but ... not so much attendance.

If you spend will they come? Man that's risky.

Yeah word has it they've got money behind the program but ... not so much attendance.

If you spend will they come? Man that's risky.
They are also talking about merging some programs/cutting some things to slim down their academic budget. I hope it's not for this reason. Pretty short sighted I would say :)

Plus who the heck wants to go up to Crookston?? That’s worse than Grand Forks. That’s worse than Bemidji!

Wonder if there’s any chance — a snowball’s chance in hell — that St Cloud is looking to do the same thing as Omaha????

Email I just received:

Dear Members of the Alumni Athlete Community,
Earlier this afternoon, I announced that we are making changes to the number of intercollegiate athletics programs we will offer to ensure Title IX compliance, and to address the financial sustainability and success of the university and its athletics programs. Changes include eliminating football, men’s golf and women’s golf and adding men’s soccer.
Prior to making my decision, I carefully reviewed multiple scenarios, including the addition of women’s programs. However, none of those scenarios would have brought St. Cloud State athletics into alignment with Title IX while at the same time addressing our financial situation.
Athletic Director Weems and I believe this decision best positions St. Cloud State to provide equitable athletics opportunities and provides Huskies Athletics a future that sustains a healthy and competitive athletics program.
I am very aware that this decision will be deeply troubling to the alumni community of our athletics program.
Please know that this was a difficult decision that needed to be made. It will have a profound impact on our committed student-athletes, our dedicated coaches, and the passionate alumni and fans who have followed our programs throughout their proud histories.
I want to assure you that I remain committed to Huskies Athletics as an integral part of the St. Cloud State University experience and look forward to your continued support of St. Cloud State athletic programs.
Sincerely,
https://photos.smugmug.com/Html-emails/E-newsletter-elements/i-sMSSJhS/0/O/Pres_Office_logo.png

President Robbyn Wacker
St. Cloud State University

Wonder how fast St Thomas can get into the Pioneer League and if some SC players would transfer there. Not cheap though.

Meanwhile, the little college up the road from St. Cloud State wins a ton of games and gets 6,000 fans per game; all of which generates positive publicity and helps create a vibrant student and alumni experience. Instead of looking at that model and investing in football/athletics, St. Cloud State chooses the cheaper commuter student model with the campus experience of a vacant tire plant.

UST will have some hard decisions to make. It certainly will not be able to afford . . .

DI Basketball
DI Hockey
DI FCS (scholarship 63) football

I’d guess that football will be DI FCS - 0 scholarships in the Pioneer League with Butler, Drake, Valpo, etc. And I’d venture to guess that 21 sports will end up being 14-16. U North Dakota is supporting BB, Hockey and 63 scholly FB, but others have cut football (Omaha) or stayed DII.

Hockey in Minnesota eventually destroys football. Shiiteloads of SCSU money goes to hockey.

UST will have some hard decisions to make. It certainly will not be able to afford . . .

DI Basketball
DI Hockey
DI FCS (scholarship 63) football

I’d guess that football will be DI FCS - 0 scholarships in the Pioneer League with Butler, Drake, Valpo, etc. And I’d venture to guess that 21 sports will end up being 14-16. U North Dakota is supporting BB, Hockey and 63 scholly FB, but others have cut football (Omaha) or stayed DII.

This. Hockey or football. Not both.

The problem with crookston being so bad in the nsic is they cannot out recruit schools in their conference. Who would pick crookston over duluth, bemidji, mankato etc

Hockey in Minnesota eventually destroys football. Shiiteloads of SCSU money goes to hockey.

This. Hockey or football. Not both.

It could be that UST will drop hockey to elevate football. Also a possibility with crowded room of DI hockey in the state.

from what I read, St. Cloud's athletic department has a deficit of $1.6-million. They estimated that dropping football, with all the related expenses, will save over $1-million a year.

On the Title XI thing, I saw someone claiming that they could have met the requirements by adding another women's sport, but the administration went the other way.

don't know much about the Crookston program, but I know a guy who played for them this year and had a good season at DT. Got some player of the week honors during the season. wonder where he might go.

Meanwhile, the little college up the road from St. Cloud State wins a ton of games and gets 6,000 fans per game; all of which generates positive publicity and helps create a vibrant student and alumni experience. Instead of looking at that model and investing in football/athletics, St. Cloud State chooses the cheaper commuter student model with the campus experience of a vacant tire plant.
I think it is a bit much to say they should just be St. John's....

Top Bottom