Reports: Minnesota Crookston, St. Cloud State to drop football

In fact, Temple hired a media tracking firm to count the equivalent dollar value of every piece of media exposure related to Owls football over just the 2016 football season — from broadcasts on ABC and ESPN to local broadcasts in, say, Orlando after a Temple-UCF game — and found Temple University would have to spend $38 million to garner such a reach.

The report looked specifically at revenue sports. Income and expense is not a difficult concept. What was just difficult to track, though, were things like apparel licensing. In NDSU's case, the football team sells a lot of sweatshirts but that doesn't appear as football revenue. UND hockey was another "revenue" sport whose expenses exceeded income.
This the article you were talking about:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/op...d-ndsu-sports-cost-college-students-taxpayers

Right, an editorial opinion, looking to twist the numbers in whichever way supports the agenda of the writer.

A successful football program...

So if the team sucks and nobody goes to the game... the value is then nearing 0 to negative then right?

Also the whole "we got exposure" thing as an end product doesn't seem like an automatic positive either. Like the marketing guy who rips through cash and says "hey we got a lot of exposure" and nobody is buying...

So if the team sucks and nobody goes to the game... the value is then nearing 0 to negative then right?

Also the whole "we got exposure" thing as an end product doesn't seem like an automatic positive either. Like the marketing guy who rips through cash and says "hey we got a lot of exposure" and nobody is buying...

I'd agree that if no one was going to the game that it wouldn't be much of a positive, but I never claimed it would.

Anyone know how UMD is doing financially on the football front? Any risk to them? I wasn't worried about them but after reading this thread I'm not so sure anymore, they have had a really good decade on the field and good amount of people attended games when I went there in the early part of this decade.

The thing is, there are about 115 football and golf athletes but the school is only paying about 20 scholarships (per the SC Times), so around a net 95 students are paying their way at roughly $15,000 per year. That revenue will be gone because I'm guessing most of those students will either leave or won't be replaced after they leave. It sounds to me like the school is digging itself a bigger hole.
I'm sure they will either go to mankato to Duluth
Anyone know how UMD is doing financially on the football front? Any risk to them? I wasn't worried about them but after reading this thread I'm not so sure anymore, they have had a really good decade on the field and good amount of people attended games when I went there in the early part of this decade.
They not doing well either mankato seems to be the only one doing well with an increase in enrollment compared to the others

Mankato got the #3 seed for the DII football semi-finals. They seem to be rolling as of late. Just less competition for them for MN and WI kids who don't get FBS offers and don't get picked up by Dakotas/UNI. Plenty of those and usually very nationally competitive at DII level. Same thing NDSU did for a long time.

I think St Cloud and Duluth should both ditch football and see about moving up to the Summit for all other sports. Already have NCHC colleagues Denver, North Dakota, and Omaha.

Decent sized markets, right in the footprint not major travel. No idea if they can afford the move or how much it would cost to get non-football/non-hockey sports from NSIC to Summit level. Can't think it is that much money, especially in sports outside basketball. Don't need any major facility upgrades, as it's a low-major conference.

I don't know about the financials but the did win the DII National Title in football a few years ago.

Mankato got the #3 seed for the DII football semi-finals. They seem to be rolling as of late....

I wish there was video of their last game in Mankato vs. Texas A&M Commerce. I enjoy seeing how the southern teams handle the northern elements this time of year. Some can and some can't.

Also worth noting that mankato is finally getting a new stadium the construction date is still to be determined but I think they wanna start within the next 5 years

Maybe not football specific, but today there is an article in the Strib stating that the Regents agreed to pay $6.2 million in debt at UMD, on top of the $5.2M of budget cuts due to declining enrollment.

Also worth noting that mankato is finally getting a new stadium the construction date is still to be determined but I think they wanna start within the next 5 years
Is it going to have hot tubs?!?!!?

We can't let them get hot tubs before TCF!

I think that's true for a lot of the regional D2 schools. They don't have the insular culture...er, school spirit of the the MIAC schools, nor do they have the broad support of the FCS teams in the region (the Dakota schools). You could make the case that except for Mankato and maybe Duluth, that all the other NSIC schools in the state could drop football with little or nobody caring.

I think that's true for a lot of the regional D2 schools. They don't have the insular culture...er, school spirit of the the MIAC schools, nor do they have the broad support of the FCS teams in the region (the Dakota schools). You could make the case that except for Mankato and maybe Duluth, that all the other NSIC schools in the state could drop football with little or nobody caring.
A lot of people will care if all the NSIC schools drop football. That will be a dark day for the game with an already declining number of participants in high school across the state. I really dont want highschool kids to have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to attend a MIAC school that offers no football scholarship just to have the opportunity to play college ball.

Where has that been reported? I've seen nothing but words of longing from the Mankato Free Press columnist/beat writer.

Right, an editorial opinion, looking to twist the numbers in whichever way supports the agenda of the writer.
Was it though? Can the reported data be twisted another way? If you read the article, this is data reported to the NCAA reported by the school, not numbers cherry picked by the reporter.

A lot of people will care if all the NSIC schools drop football. That will be a dark day for the game with an already declining number of participants in high school across the state. I really dont want highschool kids to have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to attend a MIAC school that offers no football scholarship just to have the opportunity to play college ball.
A lot of MIAC students don’t pay much more than the U of M.

don’t confuse sticker price with actual amount paid.
I “paid” 44k per year for my education but it actually would’ve been more expensive for me to go to public 4 year college

Was it though? Can the reported data be twisted another way? If you read the article, this is data reported to the NCAA reported by the school, not numbers cherry picked by the reporter.

Maybe the expense data wasn't cherry picked, but the author conveniently swathed a broad brush on the marketing benefits of athletics and basically dismissed any - or was too lazy to do any calculations. He definitely had an anti-athletic agenda and pretty much admitted that in his closing (side note: from the looks of this young man's picture, he could probably introduce some exercise in his routine).

His closing quote: "If it were up to me I'd move sports programs off campus, but that's a pipe dream. So perhaps instead we should insist that sports programs subsist on their own revenues.

Given that the mission of these institutions is academics, not athletics, I don't think that's too much to ask."

Here is a great breakdown of the situation at UMC by the local news radio station, KROX. KROX has won multiple awards for their coverage of local sports. I'm originally from Crookston and I'm always amazed at the amount of coverage they provide all sports in the area, especially considering the lack of winning teams.

I also attended UMC in the early 2000s and was a student athlete there (not football). I remember going to 2 football games and if you think we had frustration with the Gophers constant RUTM with previous regimes, think again. Multiple times in just the 2 UMC games I watched, the following would occur: 1st & 10 RUTM, 2nd & 15 RUTM. 3rd & 18 RUTM. Punt.

I finally clicked on this thread to see why it was near the top. I confess, I had no idea St Cloud or Crookston had football teams prior to this thread. Carry on.

FWIW, MSU Mankato is dominating at Slippery Rock in the D2 semis 23-8 in the snow/rain (2nd quarter). Maybe the only 4-year MNSCU school to keep enrollment steady the past decade. They emphasize strong athletics. Any correlation there?

FWIW, MSU Mankato is dominating at Slippery Rock in the D2 semis 23-8 in the snow/rain (2nd quarter). Maybe the only 4-year MNSCU school to keep enrollment steady the past decade. They emphasize strong athletics. Any correlation there?

Don't know but they're up 58-15 now late in the game. Good for Minnesota State, as they like to call themselves.

I finally clicked on this thread to see why it was near the top. I confess, I had no idea St Cloud or Crookston had football teams prior to this thread. Carry on.
Sure you didn't.

Think it's the fact aswell that mankato actually puts money into renovations and their buildings unlike scsu. Better classroom better teachers equal more enrollment

Top Bottom