Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how you think Pulley has an issue with the U. Coleman, White, and Rodney all went to the U. I don't buy the fact he wants to to send a kid to Duke just because. He has a hold on MN AAU since he's the only EYBL program in the state. Rene has always been a good guy and loyal to kids who played for him in the cases I have seen.

And when Rodney "failed" at the U, Pulley was the first one to blame Tubby Smith and the Minnesota program and how stupid Rodney was for picking Minnesota.

Ultimately the decision is up to the player and luckily many have chosen Minnesota. That doesn't mean that is what Pulley would have them choose though.

With the tone it was said in i would say there is some bad blood between Vaughn and the pulley program.

Well, duh. Pulley wanted him on his team so he could make a run at winning the EYBL, and Vaughn left to go somewhere that he felt would be better for developing HIS game (which is really the point of AAU ball). The Pulley people obviously were and are unhappy with Vaughn's decision. I even remember reading some quotes from Tyus Jones' mom which took thinly veiled shots at Vaughn.

Pulley may well be a "good guy" with the "players' interests at heart," or he might not, but one thing's for sure -- he opens himself up to a lot of deserved criticism with quotes like the one that appeared in Marcus' article.

Pulley has an outstanding program......but not the only program. They have a smug attitude that seems to degrade others for choosing another way. They do take on lots of kids who couldn't afford to travel and play AAU if they didn't receive help, and I commend them for that.

Rene Pulley is one man with one opinion.

The thing with Pulley is that they want to be able to say they placed a kid at Duke.

Well that would be pathetic. I'm positive Coach Thorson is helping Reid more than Pulley folks.

AAU coaches shouldn't try to influence their players college decision or even give advice unless they asked by their parents and the player.

And when Rodney "failed" at the U, Pulley was the first one to blame Tubby Smith and the Minnesota program and how stupid Rodney was for picking Minnesota.

Ultimately the decision is up to the player and luckily many have chosen Minnesota. That doesn't mean that is what Pulley would have them choose though.

I'd love to see your proof of that statement. Pulley likes kids to play at the next level period. Being EYBL will get them kids regardless. Coach Thorson also wouldn't have 4 of his guys there if it was that corrupt. Give me a break and stop saying things that have no validity. Also reading many of these threads, I see that Tubby got a lot of blame for lack of player development so maybe if pulley "did" say that, he might have been correct. Kids make there own choices and if you visit other campuses it's not hard to see why kids choose other universities. Again Pulley has sent more to the U than any other AAU program in the state, so I wouldn't throw him under the bus Reid chooses another school.

I'd love to see your proof of that statement. Pulley likes kids to play at the next level period. Being EYBL will get them kids regardless. Coach Thorson also wouldn't have 4 of his guys there if it was that corrupt. Give me a break and stop saying things that have no validity. Also reading many of these threads, I see that Tubby got a lot of blame for lack of player development so maybe if pulley "did" say that, he might have been correct. Kids make there own choices and if you visit other campuses it's not hard to see why kids choose other universities. Again Pulley has sent more to the U than any other AAU program in the state, so I wouldn't throw him under the bus Reid chooses another school.

It was from awhile ago, if I am bored later maybe I will take the time to look it up. It is on Gopherhole somewhere.

EDIT: Here you go- not as bad as I'd originally recalled, but does appear to be a somewhat veiled shot at the school/coaching staff. It just builds up when it is rare to see a positive comment about the U.

maybe that will change with Pitino, I'd understand somewhat if he had an issue with Tubby as most fans/boosters seemed to as well.

“I think he’s got a new confidence in his game and his potential and his ability now,” Pulley said. “He’s been shooting the three point shot very well. He did that at the LeBron James camp and also the Kevin Durant camp. But he’s brought that back to the league (Howard Pulley) and he’s been doing that here. “(He’s) putting the ball on the floor far more aggressive than he’s ever been. I am one of the ones that wonder, is it him? Or is it somebody holding him back? Because he impresses everybody. He’s a crowd favorite here. But for whatever reason, when he gets over to the U, you got a different Rodney Williams

per Shooter:

It would be a travesty for the Gophers men's basketball team if it doesn't land any of the nationally recruited high school seniors in the country -- Jones, Reid Travis and Vaughn -- considering they grew up in Minnesota.

Now it looks like Travis, from DeLaSalle, could end up at Duke, which also is favored to land Jones.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24325947/charley-walters-gophers-coach-claeys-says-kills-absence

Go Gophers!!
Travesty? A big word for a mental midget who calls hinself a writer. Great tidbit about the big three growing up in Minnesota. I did not know that. lol

It was from awhile ago, if I am bored later maybe I will take the time to look it up. It is on Gopherhole somewhere.

EDIT: Here you go- not as bad as I'd originally recalled, but does appear to be a somewhat veiled shot at the school/coaching staff. It just builds up when it is rare to see a positive comment about the U.

maybe that will change with Pitino, I'd understand somewhat if he had an issue with Tubby as most fans/boosters seemed to as well.

Lets face it the offense was a display of tentativeness and fear of making a mistake the last couple of years, sounded to me like he was expressing his views without directing it at a specific individual, would you have steared someone that had extraordinary offensive skills to the U the last couple of years, with a track record and some experience I think perception is going to change dramatically in the 2015 recruiting class.

Doogie confirmed Travis won't be at the scrimmage tonight because of his Stanford trip.

Doogie confirmed Travis won't be at the scrimmage tonight because of his Stanford trip.

Too bad he didn't visit Palo Alto earlier this Fall when the weather comparison wouldn't be as noticeable.... guessing it will be 75 degrees and brilliant sunshine there....

That said, their hoops program is not exactly lighting the world on fire. I have several friends that are Stanford grads and one that has season tickets.. none are happy with the hoops program and its kind of lost a lot of luster from the late 90's early 2000's. Now, aside from hoops, its tough to beat a Stanford education...

How does one nominate a writer for a Pulitzer?

He has no shot at the Pulitzer. Nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize -there he'd have a shot- that prize goes to a loser almost every year.

Is Reid's official visit still on for this weekend? I was assuming it was, but haven't heard much about it lately.

Is Reid's official visit still on for this weekend? I was assuming it was, but haven't heard much about it lately.

Yup. my roommate who is the basketball manager gets to drive him around campus in a golf cart on Saturday. I assume Travis will go to the game as well.

Yup. my roommate who is the basketball manager gets to drive him around campus in a golf cart on Saturday. I assume Travis will go to the game as well.

I hope he's picking up a couple of the hottest chicks on campus to join them for their tour.

We should get him to the hockey game Friday night. With it being a hockey game, Mariucci will be packed with maroon and gold, and with it being a big time opponent, the place should be rocking. I am concerned that the potential for the Nebraska fans being louder than Gopher fans at TCF Bank Stadium will not be our strongest selling point (for the record, I will be at that game doing everything I can to make sure I am louder than the Nebraska fans).

We should get him to the hockey game Friday night. With it being a hockey game, Mariucci will be packed with maroon and gold, and with it being a big time opponent, the place should be rocking. I am concerned that the potential for the Nebraska fans being louder than Gopher fans at TCF Bank Stadium will not be our strongest selling point (for the record, I will be at that game doing everything I can to make sure I am louder than the Nebraska fans).

I really don't think that will matter. Reid lives blocks from campus, he gets it. I don't think he's choosing a school based on a football game.

Thugunin, I'm expecting some inside info from you at the end of the weekend to hear how his visit went :D

I think he gets it, but the student section breaking out with a loud, long "WE WANT TRAVIS" chant couldn't hurt!! Or if a couple of huge signs spelling out "WE WANT TRAVIS" showed up in the student section, that couldn't hurt either!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RT to spread the word for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> football game. We need multiple & loud <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WeWantTravis&src=hash">#WeWantTravis</a> chants as <a href="https://twitter.com/Reid_Travis_22">@Reid_Travis_22</a> is making official visit!</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/393803401865490432">October 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Reid Travis is on his official visit at Minnesota. At the Student Union now, will be at school functions tonight. Hockey game? Possible.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/393799839747567616">October 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Word is the first Reid Travis chant on campus already broke out. Chances are several others will follow.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/393800824541155328">October 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

I really don't think that will matter. Reid lives blocks from campus, he gets it. I don't think he's choosing a school based on a football game.

Thugunin, I'm expecting some inside info from you at the end of the weekend to hear how his visit went :D

I think you're right. I'm not sure what more can be done other than build excitement for the program with a quick start this fall. Has he said when he plans to announce?

I think you're right. I'm not sure what more can be done other than build excitement for the program with a quick start this fall. Has he said when he plans to announce?

He might announce on ESPN Nov 15th, but I don't know if he has confirmed that yet. If not I think early November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom