Recruiting

Am I correct in remembering that Lauren is the one who wants to play both volleyball and basketball? If so, I can't imagine that she could get a better pair of head coaches than Whalen and Hugh. I am an avid Gopher volleyball fan, but don't know much about the volleyball programs outside the BIG (which is THE conference for college volleyball), but are all of the schools in her final five volleyball powers also? I was a bit surprised to see that Nebraska was not in her final five, as they are close to home and they, like the Gophers, are volleyball powers. If the Gophers can get her, this would be a very good get.

Am I correct in remembering that Lauren is the one who wants to play both volleyball and basketball? If so, I can't imagine that she could get a better pair of head coaches than Whalen and Hugh. I am an avid Gopher volleyball fan, but don't know much about the volleyball programs outside the BIG (which is THE conference for college volleyball), but are all of the schools in her final five volleyball powers also? I was a bit surprised to see that Nebraska was not in her final five, as they are close to home and they, like the Gophers, are volleyball powers. If the Gophers can get her, this would be a very good get.

As noted earlier, the top volleyball schools among those five would be Texas, Minnesota and UCLA, probably in that order (UCLA has had retention issues and seems to be fading). Tennessee has had some good years but is still recovering from a coaching change and the SEC isn't super-relevant in volleyball (although Florida and Kentucky are usually good). Arizona has good seasons when they snag a top talent or two but has trouble being a consistent force in the PAC.

Hopefully we find out sometime early this week. Go Gophers!

The recruiting levee is about to break. End of July is near. - Utsby? Ware? Others?

Not sure if this is true or not but I was told this weekend the commit we have a is a 2021 kid.

Who do the gophers have offered for 2021?

Class of 2021 offered/Ranked top 60:
-Greta Kampschroeder, 6’0 G, Naperville (IL) ESPN Ranked #14 (visited under Stollings so not sure if still offered or being looked at by gophers)
-Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #26
-Sophie Hart-Farmington-6’4 Center ESPN Ranked #46
-Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward
-Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
-Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’1 Guard
-Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

Who do the gophers have offered for 2021?

the #1 rated Player in the state for class of 2021. Very nice get. Will be coming in as Pitts and Hubbard depart.

I wonder if she was the commit whalen tweeted about a couple weeks ago and also when we will see the announcement of the commit for her. Lets hope Whalen and staff can turn it into a trend getting the top ranked MN kid to stay home in 2022 and 2023 and so on.

It's McKenzie.

#1 in MN for 2021. Good job Whalen.

Last edited:

Did I miss this commit being announced? If not I wonder what the delay is. Also wondering if not hearing about Ustby is a bad sign for gophers.

Major commitment announcement is imminent, probably after the live period ends this week.

ESPN Hoopgurlz updated rankings for 2020 through 2023. I figured instead of posting each list under each headline, I would do one big post. As always, this is simply what I know does or at least at one point had a gopher offer and has not publicly removed them from contention. If you know of someone I missed of any class, please feel free to add.

Gopher 2020 Commit Eric Hedman is Ranked #75 in ESPN Top 100 of 2020.

Class of 2020: (3 available scholarships)

Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #17
Aaliyah Edwards, 6’2 W, Canada, ESPN Ranked #26
Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #30
Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #42
Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #46
Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #59
Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL)
Sarah Te-Biasu , 5’3 PG, Canada
Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes-6’2 Guard/Forward

Class of 2021:

Greta Kampschroeder, 6’0 G, Naperville (IL) ESPN Ranked #12
Jersey Wolfenbarger, 6’1 PG, Northside HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #19
Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #29
Sophie Hart-Farmington MN-6’4 Center ESPN Ranked #43
Sydney Affolter, 5’11 G/F, Marist HS (IL)
Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’1 Guard
Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward
Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

2022:

Maya Nnaji-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8
KK Branford, 5’10 G, Mount Notre Dame HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #9
Aaliyah Smith, 5’5 PG, Verona HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #11
Mallory Heyer-Chaska-6’2 Forward
Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard
Mara Braun-Wayzata-5’9 Guard
Nia Holloway-Eden Prairie-6’1 Forward
Ellie Buzzelle-Rogers-5’9 Guard

2023:

Kamorea Arnold-5’6 PG, Germantown (WI) ESPN Watch List
Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward
Nunu Agara-Hopkins-5’11 Forward

The Gophers appeared to have a big recruiting weekend by having 5 players on campus together from the classes of 2022 and 2023 this weekend. (per Maya Nnaji's twitter)

They had:

2022:
Maya Nnaji-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8
Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard

2023:
Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward
Nunu Agara-Hopkins-6’1 Forward
Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’9 Guard

So, basically they had the Hopkins basketball team make a visit. Would be great to establish a "pipeline" there.

Prior to HS practice officially starting it is a great way to get a fun team outing accomplished. Visit practice...Gopher coaches always introduce themselves. Kids talk about it non stop. Usually shoot on the court in socks after practice. Fun, productive day for high school teams.

They also offer free tickets for teams to come as a group to games. Not too sure why more high school coaches don’t utilize both.

https://jrallstar.com/2019/12/university-of-minnesota-scholarship-offer-rundown/

Here is a posted and confirmed list of Minnesota kid's with Gopher offers. I put in under the recruiting header as it has 2021, 2022, and 2023 Kids listed. Also at the bottom has some out of state offers known.

"...….
Every coach is looking and strategizing how to convince top prospects to choose their school. That is no different for coach Whalen and the Minnesota Golden Gophers. While every program has the goal or standard of keeping the best kids’ “home”, the Gophers have some added pressure. Currently, the University is the only D1 Women’s basketball school in the state. That at times can heighten the microscope on the Gophers staff to keep highly ranked and highly sought-after kids home.
However, any kind of glance at the known Gopher Women’s basketball offers shows that Whalen and Co. mean serious business when it comes to recruiting Minnesota Girls’ Basketball. Currently they have fourteen known in-state offers out in the classes of 2021, 2022, and 2023. All are viewed as deep and strong classes with players who could make an immediate and substantial impact for the school they decide to attend."

Lists included in article

This doesn't quite fit in this thread but not sure where it does: I'm curious to know if anyone has any insight into Christianna Carr? I recall her seeming like a big deal on this or the previous board until Kansas State essentially bought her services by giving her dad a job. She's a sophomore now and neither she nor the team seems to have made much of a splash (although she did make the all-freshman team last season). Any thoughts, anyone?

This doesn't quite fit in this thread but not sure where it does: I'm curious to know if anyone has any insight into Christianna Carr? I recall her seeming like a big deal on this or the previous board until Kansas State essentially bought her services by giving her dad a job. She's a sophomore now and neither she nor the team seems to have made much of a splash (although she did make the all-freshman team last season). Any thoughts, anyone?
Carr has started every game for K-State this season and is averaging 27 minutes and 14 points per game. That seems like pretty good production for a sophomore. Ayoka Lee of Byron and Rachel Ranke of Eastview are also starting for the 4-4 Wildcats.

Gophers get a commit from JUCO forward Daja Woodard. Guessing her and Sconiers expected to compete for post position after Taiye graduates.

also thinking this is a Coach Carly connection as her top 5 out of high school was Louisville, Michigan State, Maryland, Ohio State and Mississippi State.

listed height ranges between 6’1-6’3. Add that to 6’2 Sconiers, 6’2 Sissoko 6’4 Hedman and gophers might actually be able to play two posts next year

Last edited:

Gophers get a commit from JUCO forward Daja Woodard. Guessing her and Sconiers expected to compete for post position after Taiye graduates.

also thinking this is a Coach Carly connection as her top 5 out of high school was Louisville, Michigan State, Maryland, Ohio State and Mississippi State.

listed height ranges between 6’1-6’3. Add that to 6’2 Sconiers, 6’2 Sissoko 6’4 Hedman and gophers might actually be able to play two posts next year
Woodard might be the most athletic player I've seen on the aau level. Expect some dunks in the next couple years. Heres a little article on her with a video of her dunking.

To look towards to (possible future) and to try and move past the continued back and forth Pitts/Whalen discussion, I wanted to make a suggest to people on here about the recruits in Minnesota High School Girls Basketball. GET OUT AND SEE THESE KIDS! I understand its not always easy to get to high school gyms but seriously the class of 2021, 2022 and 2023 and some younger are worth the price of admission. Teams like Hopkins, besides Bueckers, has 5-6 other D1 players and 4 have Gopher Offers.

Teams like Chaska, St. Louis Park, Wayzata, Eden Prairie, and Farmington all have 1-2 D1 athletes and all have a kid with a Gopher offer.

If you are out of the main Twin Cities and surrounding area, Teams like Duluth Marshall (Kneepkens-Class of 2021), Henning (Dague-Class of 2021), Rochester John Marshall (Meister (Class of 2022) all have Gopher offers.

I only say try and do it during the regular season. You get some fantastic regular season matchups that showcase the great talent in the state. If you wait for the state tournament, some of these teams wont make it simply cause they are in a sections together. Example: Wayzata has for sure 3 high D1 players (Stewart going to Nebraska, Johnson going to Utah and Braun with multiple D1 offers including the Gophers) and is arguably the second best team in the state. Only problem is they play in the same section as the first team in the state Hopkins.

Its fun to get your eyes on these players before they are Gophers or Big Ten opponents. Just my two cents.

Websites that are great to help find schedules or times/dates

http://www.minnesota-scores.net/sporthome.php?yid=1920&sport=102

https://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/

Top Bottom