Recruiting

Michigan has 1 player from Michigan on their roster, Indiana has 2 players from Indiana, Maryland 1 player from Maryland. My point is, this isn't that uncommon not to have a lot of players from a home state. It is cyclical. Ohio St and Mi St have 4 each. Kids start playing AAU all over the country in middle school and get exposure nationally, which makes it not such a slam dunk to keep kids in state.

Minnesota is the only D1 program in the whole state.... am I right?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

320E89CE-B4EC-47DC-99A9-80374F1AE8E5.jpg

Has there been any talk about Jaii Stewart?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is all I know.

Count what? What exactly was the first terrible decision? By the way, have you seen Amanda lately? She is in WAY better condition now that she is playing for pro coaches than she was in college.

And doing what exactly? Is she even averaging 3 pts or 3 rbs a game?? I don't think so.

Minnesota's primary mission is to be a service to the people of Minnesota, and also, since it allows for out of state students, to provide those students the best training and teaching and instruction and guidance, etc., that it can to give them the tools to become successful and productive professionals out in the world and contributors to a better world.

That said, if local Minnesota girls do not like the coach and there are plenty of opportunities for them elsewhere, then we are not ignoring our mission if we choose not to recruit lesser quality Minnesota girls. If we bring in good players from out of state and become successful, then years down the road, the best Minnesota bb players WILL consider coming here to play, and will consider it a privilege. If our current coach can not get the program to the point where our local girls want to come here and feel it is a privilege to come here, then she should be replaced.

This is the not one of the hockey teams, we do not have a gazillion players all of high quality to choose from from Minnesota, especially if the ones we do go after choose to go elsewhere. The team seems to be improved from last year, but is it enough improvement and is recruiting also improving? If it is, then maybe we keep the coach until the improvements stop?

This program, well, the University dropped the ball a LONG time ago by not making women's cbb a priority, and I'm not talking about more of a priority than the revenue sports, but just showing that they cared. Should have hired one of the top notch coaches a long time ago. Given the girls of Minnesota a reason to come here. And if we had, Lindsey Whalen wouldn't be our greatest ever women's bb alum, she'd be just one of the many. SO many great bb players left this state to go play elsewhere. I remember reading an article about the year those twins that went to play for Georgia I think it was, they made the Final Four? There were like 6-8 different Minnesota natives that made the NCAA tournament that year, the leading scorer for Stanford was one, graduated the same year as the Miller Twins, I think their name was? I mean, it was a class that had they all gone to UMn would have easily won the Natl Title, maybe several of them in a row? A few years later was when we got Whalen. But she literally could have been following in much bigger footsteps and almost been a not so memorable player, I mean, in comparison. She's since shown in the WNBA that she IS one of the best ever, so I'm not dissing her. Just saying the U totally blew it in regards to women's bb. We could have been what UConn is now, had we simply made an effort. Instead we have been left with dealing with the likes of all of these half ash coaches that seem not to know how to coach. It's frustrating.

The Gophers are losing Edwards and Fernstrom, so what big bigs do they have coming in next year?

Apparently, she can shoot threes. Hopefully, she won't spend too much time outside the arc. My question is: Can she jump over a few sheets of paper?

If she can't fill this spot immediately, I'm presuming that Bello will be the starting post. That's not all bad, although it will present problems against teams with big post players.

Byrne was ranked #21 at her position by ESPN. (Destiny Pitts was ranked #20 at her position last year by ESPN, so if Byrne is as good as Pitts is, she'll have a solid career here.) The other two commits, Finau and Stewart, are both guards at 5'10" and 5'9". In reading the ESPN scouting reports, it's encouraging to read that the three commits have some things in common: coachable, competitive, high basketball IQ. Finau has a Bell-like stats line with points, rebounds, assists, and steals. Also, am I correct in remembering that Stollings has one scholarship yet to offer for next year...the one that went to Paloma Gonzales (sp?)

Any possible grad transfers for next season?

In ones-that-got-away-since-Stollings-didn't-much-care-about-posts news, Taylor Koenen's Tarheels have kicked it up a notch in the back half of the season, beating #1 Notre Dame and unbeaten NC State.

Does anyone know if Taya Hakamaki is a recruiting target for the Gophers?

In ones-that-got-away-since-Stollings-didn't-much-care-about-posts news, Taylor Koenen's Tarheels have kicked it up a notch in the back half of the season, beating #1 Notre Dame and unbeaten NC State.

Not to defend Marlene’s lack of success recruiting in-State players but Koenen was committed to UNC before Stollings was hired.

Does anyone know if Taya Hakamaki is a recruiting target for the Gophers?

There was a good article on Taya on Prep Girls Hoops a couple of weeks ago. She is a very nice player but nowhere near athletic enough for the Big Ten. She's more likely a D2 kid.

Not to defend Marlene’s lack of success recruiting in-State players but Koenen was committed to UNC before Stollings was hired.

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2018/02/taylor-koenen-feature-0227

Yep, Stollings was barely here before Koenen committed. And apparently it was going to be UNC anyway.

She didn’t hear wrong. The Cyclones were the first team to offer, and then more kept rolling in. Koenen handled most of the recruiting herself, even at such a young age. There was one name on her shortlist that stuck out, though — North Carolina. Growing up in Minnesota, it was a surprise to many that the Tar Heels were on her radar. But you can chalk that up to her dad. Despite the fact that he was an Iowa guy, and even made his daughter's email name ‘tskhawkeye,’ he loved watching UNC.

“I brought her up on North Carolina,” her father said. “I brought her up on Michael Jordan and Carolina basketball. She had Jordan shoes, even when she was little.”

Koenen took a visit to Chapel Hill the summer after her sophomore season, and she knew it was the place for her. She committed shortly after and started to hone her game. She forewent her final year of softball, much to her coach’s dismay, in order to get ready for her time down South.

Please stop using facts to interfere with my desire to blame everything on Stollings. :)

https://www.kaaltv.com/sports/linds...b-alyssa-ustby-recruiting-basketball/5238326/

According to Stewartville head girls’ basketball coach Ryan Liffrig, the Golden Gophers’ head women’s basketball coach will be in attendance on Friday night to watch the Lourdes Eagles face the Stewartville Tigers in Stewartville. Whalen is reportedly interested in Eagles’ junior Alyssa Ustby, as well as Tigers sophomore Erin Lamb.

Lamb, who unofficially visited the University of Wisconsin-Madison this past fall and is also a standout volleyball player at Stewartville, is averaging 14.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game this season.

Ustby, who already has multiple Division I basketball offers and recently scored a school record 43 points in a win at Kasson-Mantorville, is averaging 25.2 points and 13.3 rebounds per game.

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2018/02/taylor-koenen-feature-0227

Yep, Stollings was barely here before Koenen committed. And apparently it was going to be UNC anyway.

She didn’t hear wrong. The Cyclones were the first team to offer, and then more kept rolling in. Koenen handled most of the recruiting herself, even at such a young age. There was one name on her shortlist that stuck out, though — North Carolina. Growing up in Minnesota, it was a surprise to many that the Tar Heels were on her radar. But you can chalk that up to her dad. Despite the fact that he was an Iowa guy, and even made his daughter's email name ‘tskhawkeye,’ he loved watching UNC.

“I brought her up on North Carolina,” her father said. “I brought her up on Michael Jordan and Carolina basketball. She had Jordan shoes, even when she was little.”

Koenen took a visit to Chapel Hill the summer after her sophomore season, and she knew it was the place for her. She committed shortly after and started to hone her game. She forewent her final year of softball, much to her coach’s dismay, in order to get ready for her time down South.
Easy classes and warm weather equals UNC.

Easy classes and warm weather equals UNC.

Considering Taylor made the ACC All-Academic team, the ACC Honor Roll and was chosen as one of three ACC athletes to represent the thousands of athletes in the conference at the NCAA governance meetings I hardly think she chose UNC for easy classes.

Considering Taylor made the ACC All-Academic team, the ACC Honor Roll and was chosen as one of three ACC athletes to represent the thousands of athletes in the conference at the NCAA governance meetings I hardly think she chose UNC for easy classes.
Anyone can make all academic at UNC...

Please stop using facts to interfere with my desire to blame everything on Stollings. :)

You can still blame her for passing on Kasson-Mantorville's Kristen Scott. :rolleyes:

Sorry, Cyclones were talking a little recruiting on our board and as a metro local and secondary Gopher fan I thought I'd stop in here and see what the chatter was. It's hard to track unless someone on a board is a sleuth in digging stuff up.

With ESPN Hoopgurlz updating the classes of 2020, 2021 and 2022, I thought a good refresher on who is all offered (only to my knowledge, not guaranteed to know all) could be helpful.

2020 offered/ESPN Ranked top 100

-Leilani Kapinus, 5-10 G, Madison Memorial HS (WI) ESPN Ranked #10
-Priscilla Williams, 6’2 G, Branson HS, (MO) ESPN Ranked #12
-Deja Kelly, 5’8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX) ESPN Ranked #19
-Lauren Ware, 6’3 PF, Century HS (ND) ESPN ranked #30
-Gabby Elliott, 5’10 W, Detroit Edison HS (MI) ESPN Ranked #47
-Alexia Smith, 5’8 PG, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #50
-Sakima Walker, 6’4 P, Columbus HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #53
-Destiny Salary, 5-10 G, Jonesboro HS (AR) ESPN Ranked #73
-Halle Douglass, 6’1 W, Lake Forest HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #94
-Treasure Thompson, 6-3 C, Bolingbrook HS (IL) ESPN Ranked #96
-Alyssa Ustby-Rochester Lourdes-6’2 Guard/Forward

**Gopher Commit Erin Hedman is Ranked #88 is 2020 top 100.

Class of 2021 offered/Ranked top 60:
-Greta Kampschroeder, 6’0 G, Naperville (IL) ESPN Ranked #14 (visited under Stollings so not sure if still offered or being looked at by gophers)
-Ariana Wiggins, 5’8 G, Heritage Christian (IN) ESPN Ranked #26
-Sophie Hart-Farmington-6’4 Center ESPN Ranked #46
-Adalia McKenzie-Park Center- 5’10 Guard/Forward
-Jenna Johnson-Wayzata-6’2 Forward
-Kendall Coley-St.Louis Park-6’1 Guard
-Ellie Dague-Henning-5’9 Guard

Class of 2022 offered/Ranked ESPN top 25
-Maya Nnaji-Hopkins-6’3 Forward ESPN Ranked #8
-Mallory Heyer-Chaska-6’2 Forward
-Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’10 Guard
-Mara Braun-Wayzata-5’9 Guard
-Ellie Buzzelle-Rogers-5’9 Guard
-Nia Holloway-Eden Prairie-6’1 Forward

Class of 2023 Offered:
-Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward
-Nunu Agara-Hopkins-5’11 Forward

once again cant guarantee I know all of the offers or if the gophers have dropped off on any of these kids. Im going off reported on here or their social media posts.

-

Top Bottom