Recruiting

I am not Marlene's biggest fan BUT Koenen was lost by Borton. If fact I think she committed shortly before stollings was even hired, cant hold that against her. Hollie I will say Stollings and Staff recruited HARD! she it was down to MSU and Gophers and she picked the one that was recruiting her since she was a FR in HS. The coach for the Gophers at that time once again was Borton. those two fall on the long list of Borton failures not Stollings. however Marlene has plenty of her own as well.

Certainly Taylor Koenen and Nia Hollie would have been good additions. No one is suggesting that should ONLY recruit Mn players. That would not be wise.

Since Hollie and Koenen just finished their Freshman year it was, indeed, Stollings that recruited or shall I say failed to recruit them.

Since Hollie and Koenen just finished their Freshman year it was, indeed, Stollings that recruited or shall I say failed to recruit them.

To clear up the timing, Stollings arrived in April/May 2014 and Koenen committed to UNC in June 2014.

http://www.startribune.com/state-gi...ble-about-gophers-lack-of-interest/368698411/

In girls’ basketball, the recruiting game often takes place in summer AAU tournaments more than it does high school play. In Koenen’s case, Minnesota Fury AAU director Nick Storm said Minnesota didn’t offer Koenen until June 2014. She committed to North Carolina later that month.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/03/25/taylor-koenen-to-follow-in-her-favorite-players-footsteps/

Next year, Koenen will take her hoops career to North Carolina to be a Tar Heel.

“I went out to their elite camp in the summer of my junior year. That went really well, played scrimmage, and then they offered me a scholarship afterwards,” said Koenen. “Then I went home, thought about with my parents and made my decision on that.”

There is a connection there. Koenen’s favorite player is a former Tar Heel named Michael Jordan.

“Where we play is where Michael Jordan played, because the boys have a separate Dean dome,” said Koenen. “They still have the door from when he was there, so every time we walk through the locker room door it’s like I’m walking through where Michael Jordan was.”

After watching Hollie at MSU last year, I'm thinking she's going to have to acquire an outside shot if she is ever going to be a major contributor there. Koenen started 12 games for North Carolina this year. She averaged 6 points and 5 boards per game. 18% from beyond the arc. The fact that she didn't sign with the Gophers is more on Borton than Stollings.

Mompremiere is transferring from Baylor. If Stollings could land her, I'd scatter rose pedals in her path wherever she goes.... but who are we kidding? Any elite prospect coming to Minnesota?:cry:

She missed most of her freshman year with a knee injury. Started about half the games this year. From what I understand the Gophers and Iowa were also recruiting her out of high school.

The aggressive pressure defense they played at Hopkins was something Starks was good at. ISU does not run that at all so it might not have been the best fit for her skill set. Have read nothing put positives about her from coaches in HS (Cosgriff) and at ISU although I do not know why she is leaving. Typically we never do when kids transfer.

ISU's starting PG is also graduating (had one redshirt injury year) and forgoing her final year of eligibility so it's not the only departure.

Stark is heading to Arizona.

How many languages does Stollings speak? Seems like the Gophers have really been concentrating their recruiting efforts on international players. I don't have a problem with that, however I'm hoping they get players who can play at the BIG level. One thing I've noticed about most international players is that it usually takes them at least a year to get accustomed to the physicality of play here in the States.

A few notes on Fasoula

http://www.eurohoops.net/en/others/424948/mariella-fasoula-leaving-boston-college/

By Eurohoops team/ [email protected]

The 20 years old Greek center which is averaging 16 points and 7,5 rebounds per game, is expected to announce her new destination during the next month.

Mariella Fasoula, already 6-foot-5, wants to play on a higher level as she is considered one of the most talented European centers of its generation.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/...leaving-boston-college-womens-basketball-team

It doesn’t come as a huge surprise that Fasoula would want to leave Boston College. She’s been a star player for Boston College over the past two seasons, but doesn’t have much chance of winning anything with a team that has not had a winning season since 2010-11. The Eagles had a 15-16 record during Fasoula’s freshman season and a 9-21 record during her sophomore year.

Despite playing for a struggling team, Fasoula has put up solid numbers over the past two years. As a sophomore, she was 9th in the ACC with 9 points per game and 4th in the conference with 5.6 defensive rebounds per game. She’s not the fastest player on the court, but in a line-up with higher level recruits Fasoula’s ability to make space around the net should lead to an increase in both points and rebounds.

Raoul tweeted that she picked Vandy.

Raoul also says Minnesota (along with Cincinnati) has offered 2018 Nia Clark, from Indianapolis. She's a -- wait for it -- guard. (5-8)

Carmen Backes from Chisago Lakes committed to Wisconsin.

She's been injured her past two seasons and is rehabbing an ACL injury. But if your dad is a former Gopher shot-putter and two kids from your high school (Fernstrom & Tinjum) played for the Gophers this year and Marlene didn't land her, that's got to be another nail in the coffin. Supposedly came down to Wisconsin, Princeton, and the Gophers. Got to wonder if there is any sort of a plan or philosophy other than run up the court as fast as you can and either hoist it up, blow a lay-up, or turn it over.

Can you imagine choosing Wisconsin in women's basketball!! How do you sell that bottom dweller!!

The big question is can any of these players play defense ? Or maybe more important, can the current coaching staff teach them how to play defense ?

MN's defensive design is the worst I have ever seen. Their match-up zone is worthless. Poor defensive scheme, questionable reqruiter, poor relationship with MN coaches and a reserved personality to sell the program. Hard to see how this turns out to be a successful coaching tenure for Coach Stollings.

MN's defensive design is the worst I have ever seen. Their match-up zone is worthless. Poor defensive scheme, questionable reqruiter, poor relationship with MN coaches and a reserved personality to sell the program. Hard to see how this turns out to be a successful coaching tenure for Coach Stollings.

Agreed. After meeting her a few times she really comes off as an introvert who likes hoops. To coach successfully at this level you have to have more charisma and relationship building skills than she has shown here in MN.

Another 2020 offer being reported... Gabby Hutcherson 6'2" SF from
Ohio. Michigan State and Ohio State have previously offered.

One of the interesting things Raoul said about Minnesota recruits is that two of the Minnesota AAU programs don't publically report the players offers. He stated unless the player puts her offers on social media or is asked by a media member, its hard to know who Minnesota has offered. Only home state kids I know for sure are Paige Bueckers-sophomore from Hopkins (probably the most obvious offer in the entire state) and Destiny Oberg-Junior post from Holy Angels. Outside of those two, I am not sure who they have offered. I'm not saying they haven't offered other MN kids, but it sure seems stollings prefers Ohio/Michigan to her own backyard.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure this is exactly the right thread (and how many not-very-tall guards do the Gophers need?) but interesting to see Kenisha Bell's former Marquette teammate, Tia Elbert, will graduate from Indiana and have eligibility remaining, eligible in fall of 2018 for grad transfer.

Top Bottom