Recruiting

Maybe it's time for Stollings to step out of her comfort zone much the same way Dutcher did with Michael in the 70's and offer Borowicz who isn't much to look at athletically but has a nonstop motor and can really shoot it!!

Not a lot of great girls basketball players coming out of Minnesota since the years of Dahlman, Wagner, and Coffey. Don't know why that is. Everything is cyclical, I suppose.

We don't know yet if any of this year's players will transfer to other schools. I have no inside information, but wouldn't be surprised if they lose a couple. But it was my feeling that the roster was a bit too big this year. I too would prefer that the Gophers keep a couple of these scholarships in their back pocket and use for the 2018 recruiting class.

I suppose you can argue great but you can also develop great. It's not like Minnesota doesn't have any candidates. Just to name some from MN to D1 2017:
Kelen Kenol Austin Peay
Tori Andrew Yale
Gabi Haack Bradley
Jolene Daninger DePaul
Mariah Sexe Lehigh
Dru Gylten SD>MN AAU> UTAH
Claire Killian Omaha
DeAnna Winston Sienna
Lindsey Theuninck SDSU
Temi Carda Creighton
Sidney Wentland Denver
Mikayla Hayes Florida
Bailey Helgren Kansas
Annika Jank Kansas
Rae Johnson Iowa St
Rachel Ranke Kansas St
Lyndsey Robson Green Bay
Kristin Scott Iowa St

Any chance Stollings would be interested in Dahlman for her last year of eligibility? She doesn't get used much at Vandy. I'm guessing no sitting out would be required.

She starts when she is healthy. She has had very bad injury luck... lots of different ones.

That's an interesting list, 60's Guy. There are enough "major" schools in that group to indicate that other schools think there is some talent here. (Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, DePaul.) It will be interesting to see how many of these players will turn out to be good college players. I'm sure some of them will. Wittinger from Illinois and January from DePaul are among Minnesota players who were not highly recruited and have become good college players. It's interesting to note that the Badgers and the Hawkeyes are not on the list this year. In years past, both of those schools have frequently signed some Minnesota high school players.

She missed most of her freshman year with a knee injury. Started about half the games this year. From what I understand the Gophers and Iowa were also recruiting her out of high school.

The aggressive pressure defense they played at Hopkins was something Starks was good at. ISU does not run that at all so it might not have been the best fit for her skill set. Have read nothing put positives about her from coaches in HS (Cosgriff) and at ISU although I do not know why she is leaving. Typically we never do when kids transfer.

ISU's starting PG is also graduating (had one redshirt injury year) and forgoing her final year of eligibility so it's not the only departure.

Minnesota
Creighton
Nebraska
Arizona
North Dakota State
South Dakota
Valparaiso
Bradley

For a little size there's 6'1" Carmen Backes. She's good������

From an Oklahoma Sooners messageboard, of all things

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=576508

The official notice from the Commodores:

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/040817aab.html

Redshirt junior guard Rebekah Dahlman is leaving the Vanderbilt women’s basketball program as a graduate transfer. Dahlman is set to graduate next month, and has one year of eligibility remaining.

"We appreciate all that Bekah has given to our program throughout her career,” said head coach Stephanie White. “She will soon complete her degree at Vanderbilt and we wish her the best as she takes this next step."

Dahlman played in 98 career games at Vanderbilt, averaging 8.7 points and 3.1 rebounds per game.

Pitts takes over Hedstrom's spot; Dahlman takes Starr's spot. Works for me! I'll put a little faith in Dahlman.

Stollings just tweeted that "B1G NEWS coming from the Gopher Camp later today" then had emoji of star-flame-Spain's flag-arrow with letters soon-US flag.

another commit from Spain? or that PG who recently committed coming over officially?

Stollings just tweeted that "B1G NEWS coming from the Gopher Camp later today" then had emoji of star-flame-Spain's flag-arrow with letters soon-US flag.

another commit from Spain? or that PG who recently committed coming over officially?
Seems to be the player we already knew about. She follow-up tweeted about Paloma Gonzalez (the one we knew about) and there's a story on gophersports.com about her now.

Am the only one who is getting to the point of being over the overseas players or two-year Juco transfers? Looking at all of them from Marlene's years, it feels too much like looking for a cheap, quick fix. I want to see her BUILD up the program. Barnes and Johnson were complete busts as JUCO transfers. Then overseas players have been Jessie Edwards, Danielle Garven, Kaposi, and now these two players from Spain. Outside of Edwards, none of them have done anything noticeable for the team and even Edwards only has a few bright moments. Maybe it is just me but I'm tired of seeing these quick, easy fixes out of Marlene and not looking to build up through getting freshman and they seeing the growth for 4 years.

I'm fine with players from out side the US and JUCO's. However, your point, I think, is about the "quick fix". There's too much "In case of Emergency Break Glass!". Edwards was certainly an emergency response to Amanda Zahui unexpectedly declaring for the WNBA draft. As such, Edwards, has worked out okay. Barnes and Johnson suffered late season JUCO injuries and never got fully into the flow. Even counting Lake Superior as a sea, Danielle Garvin remains a mystery and was a major bust.

I'm looking forward to watching Gonzalez and Garrido play; but obviously they were on page three of the recruiting list, if they were even on it. Yes, three years in, this year's class looks to be a recruiting disappointment.

It is somewhat disquieting that she doesn't recruit Minnesota better

I do not know how many of you have met or talked with her but she is reserved and does not have a real dynamic personality. Not that everybody can or wants to be PJ Fleck but you do have to sell the program.

Marcella Fasoula visiting the U today. She's 6'4" fro Greece via Boston College

A few notes on Fasoula

http://www.eurohoops.net/en/others/424948/mariella-fasoula-leaving-boston-college/

By Eurohoops team/ [email protected]

The 20 years old Greek center which is averaging 16 points and 7,5 rebounds per game, is expected to announce her new destination during the next month.

Mariella Fasoula, already 6-foot-5, wants to play on a higher level as she is considered one of the most talented European centers of its generation.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/...leaving-boston-college-womens-basketball-team

It doesn’t come as a huge surprise that Fasoula would want to leave Boston College. She’s been a star player for Boston College over the past two seasons, but doesn’t have much chance of winning anything with a team that has not had a winning season since 2010-11. The Eagles had a 15-16 record during Fasoula’s freshman season and a 9-21 record during her sophomore year.

Despite playing for a struggling team, Fasoula has put up solid numbers over the past two years. As a sophomore, she was 9th in the ACC with 9 points per game and 4th in the conference with 5.6 defensive rebounds per game. She’s not the fastest player on the court, but in a line-up with higher level recruits Fasoula’s ability to make space around the net should lead to an increase in both points and rebounds.

For those who are wishing that Stollings was recruiting Minnesota better, I'm curious as to which Minnesota girls you would have added in the past two years? I not a Stollings apologist, however I'm thinking that there hasn't been much available in Minnesota the past couple of years.

I'm at the point where I'm wishing Stollings would recruit the US better. Nothing against the international players, but they're going to have to be higher quality than they've previously been. I'd like to see another Zahui B or someone with similar talents that can play at the BIG level.

The big question is can any of these players play defense ? Or maybe more important, can the current coaching staff teach them how to play defense ?

Personally, No big name Minnesota kids stand out to me that she missed on. Wouldn't of been upset to get Rachel Ranke from Eastview who committed to Kansas St. as a 6'1 dead-eye 4 point shooter but not a major loss. However having players like Oberg (HS Junior), Bueckers (HS Sophomore) and Suggs (HS Junior) on their way up, Marlene better start looking home. Those would be HUGE misses in my mind. As far as I'm aware Gophers Have offered Oberg and Bueckers already and I hope they also have already offered Suggs as she is already has offers from SEC and ACC teams. I am personally okay with Stollings being picky on MN kids from the simple burn out of seeing the players like Loberg, Noga, Dvorak, Mastey Sisters and others Borton offered simply so she could say she "recruited" MN.

For those who are wishing that Stollings was recruiting Minnesota better, I'm curious as to which Minnesota girls you would have added in the past two years? I not a Stollings apologist, however I'm thinking that there hasn't been much available in Minnesota the past couple of years.

I'm at the point where I'm wishing Stollings would recruit the US better. Nothing against the international players, but they're going to have to be higher quality than they've previously been. I'd like to see another Zahui B or someone with similar talents that can play at the BIG level.

Certainly Taylor Koenen and Nia Hollie would have been good additions. No one is suggesting that should ONLY recruit Mn players. That would not be wise.

Top Bottom