Recruiting

I wonder who it could be 🤔🤔 Really hoping it’s a F or C, we could use a big time BIG commit.

Another grad transfer taking advantage of the covid year. Will be the 4th sr on the roster playing their 5th season.

Nice addition! experienced and can shoot the 3. The more reliable 3 shooters we have the more room inside to move and score and if they get lazy on defense thy will knockdown the 3. Really like the depth we will have next year! I just renewed our season tickets this morning so a nice bonus for that occasion to happen this afternoon.

with Deja.. have to wonder if we are going with 16.. I don't like that number that was the same amount of players that we had when EVERYONE left the season..

so wonder if someone else is leaving..

with Deja.. have to wonder if we are going with 16.. I don't like that number that was the same amount of players that we had when EVERYONE left the season..

so wonder if someone else is leaving..
Possibly but with summer workouts starting back up in a couple weeks it seems like if someone else was gonna transfer out it woulda happened by now.

Possibly but with summer workouts starting back up in a couple weeks it seems like if someone else was gonna transfer out it woulda happened by now.
good point.. just hope Whalen can find minutes for all the players that deserve the minutes.. adding depth is never a bad thing.. from the highlights, she reminds me a bit of SWK from Maryland with her body type.. but a much better 3 point shot lol.

It will be really interesting to see how Lindsey handles a roster of this size. Everyone wants to play, and there is only so much playing time. If she manages to keep everyone happy, I'll be impressed.

It will be really interesting to see how Lindsey handles a roster of this size. Everyone wants to play, and there is only so much playing time. If she manages to keep everyone happy, I'll be impressed.
If they’re winning games, maybe playing time won’t be as much of an issue. We can only hope!

Deja Winters played against the Gophers at Williams Arena back in 2016. It was 90-57 Gopher win.

Williams came off the bench for Seton Hall playing 26 minutes, scoring 10 points and collecting 2 rebounds. She was 3-11 from the field (3-9 from three) with 2 blocks and 3 steals.

With offers coming fast and furious in different classes, wanted to post an updated full (or at close to knowledge) list of known offers.

2022:

Offered/In-state:

Amaya Battle
-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’11 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Aaliyah Smith,
5’5 PG, Verona HS (WI)

2023:

Offered/In-state:

Nunu Agara
-Hopkins-6’2 Forward ESPN Ranked #20 (out of Terrific 25)

Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward ESPN Ranked #24 (out of Terrific 25)

Tessa Johnson-St. Michael/Albertville-5’9 Guard

Out of State Offers:

Kamorea Arnold
, 5’6 PG, Germantown (WI) ESPN Ranked #5 (out of Terrific 25)

Sole Williams, 5’9 G, Princeton HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #16 (out of Terrific 25)

Audi Crooks, 6’3 P, Bishop Garrigan HS (IA)

Jordan Wood, 6’2 F, Camel Catholic HS (IN)

Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA)

Jasmine Timmerson, 5’9 PG, North Allegheny (PA)

Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN)

Lisa Thompson, 5’8 G, Joliet West (IL)

Emily Fisher, 6’1 W, Libertyville HS (IL)

Katy Eidle, 5’11 G, John Hersey HS (IL)

Jasmine Brown, 5’9 G, Joliet Catholic HS (IL)

Logan Nissley, 5’10 G, Century HS (ND) *Not 100% confirmed

2024:

Offered/In-State:

Olivia Olson-
Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 Guard (ESPN Watchlist)

Out of State Offers:

Chloe Spreen,
5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN) (ESPN Watchlist)

Allie Ziebell, 6’0 W, Neenah HS (WI)

Katie Vasecka, 6’1 G, Tea HS (SD)

Kayl Petersen, 6’0 F, Waupun Area HS (WI)

Notes:
-Heard rumors amaya has a final list but nothing posted/official
-completely unknown if Aaliyah Smith still has an offer

ESPN put out there updated Rankings today. Top 100 for 2022, Top 60 for 2023 and Top 25 for 2024. Listed below are known offers for Gophers and where they are ranked.

2022:

Amaya Battle-Hopkins-Hopkins-5’11 Guard-ESPN Ranked #37 (out of top 100)

GOPHER COMMITS:
Mallory Heyer- Ranked #68
Mara Braun- Ranked #84

2023:

Kamorea Arnold, 5’6 PG, Germantown (WI) ESPN Ranked #6 (out of Super 60)
Sole Williams, 5’9 G, Princeton HS (OH) ESPN Ranked #17 (out of Super 60)
Taylor Woodson-Hopkins-5’11 Forward ESPN Ranked #24 (out of Super 60)
Lisa Thompson, 5’8 G, Joliet West (IL) ESPN Ranked #32 (out of Super 60)
Jordan Wood, 6’2 F, Camel Catholic HS (IN) ESPN Ranked #35 (out of Super 60)
Nunu Agara-Hopkins-6’2 Forward ESPN Ranked #37 (out of Super 60)
Eve Fiala, 6’4 C, Indiana HS (PA) ESPN Ranked #54 (out of Super 60)
Laila Hull, 6’1 F, Zionsville (IN) ESPN Ranked #57 (out of Super 60)

2024:

Olivia Olson-Benilde-St. Margaret’s-6’0 G ESPN Ranked #9 (out of Terrific 25)
Alivia “Liv” McGill, 5’7 G, Hopkins HS *Not 100% Confirmed ESPN Ranked #15 (out of Terrific 25)
Chloe Spreen, 5’9 G, Bedford North Lawrence (IN) ESPN Ranked #21 (out of Terrific 25)

I see Deja sliding into that 3rd guard spot in place of Hubbard.. She brings length to that position we desperately need.

if i were to make an early prediction it would be
Jazz / Smith / katie
Scalia / Caroline
Deja / hubbard
Alexia smith is somewhere in the mix in all 3 spots, I'm assuming the freshman wont crack top 8
this is where it still is thin
Kadi / somebody will need to take next step
Klarke / somebody will need to take next step

playing time will be an issue, I dont see Whalen going more then 9
the guards I see on that bubble for time are Katie, Caroline, maybe even Smith to a certain degree, I know they like her Defense, but I think that was more of her physical body to match up with stronger 3's..
Also, Hubbard most likely to lose some time due to injury and may not get it back, we'll see.
I think for the first time now Jazz will need to play Whalen's style, if not she has backup options

It took a while, but Lindsay Whalen is making firm traction with In-state players. It takes a while to establish relationships. Good things are ahead.

Really feeling good about getting Battle and our incoming talent. Whalen has now signed 4/5 highest ranked in state players for 2022. Go Gophers !

...and that 1/5 was never going here ( I also wonder how well her game will transition to college).

Big AAU event in Iowa wrapped up yesterday, Battle of the Best - All Iowa Attack's premier tournament. All-Iowa beat north Tartan in the top tier. Assuming with a degree of certainty that Whalen and staff were there, heard via ISU board LOTS of coaches from around the country, including Geno, were there. Winning Iowa Attack has three gals committed to Iowa.

By the looks of it Minnesota and Iowa have similar good recruiting classes…..except Iowa recruits will be playing with Clark

Creativity with substitutions can benefit the team down the stretch. Rest tired legs, and give bench players experience. I don't care if scoring comes from the starters or the bench. The bottom line, it is all about victories.

Lindsay is at Chaska Town Course right now, following her husband Ben Greve (who has a 1 stroke lead going into the final round). She is probably texting pictures of the great weather and greenery of Minnesota to potential players.

Last edited:

Top Bottom