Reality

Yes. He’s is a good player but IMO a LONG way from a star
My assessment: he's already a handful, and he's the type of improvements I described away from being a force. BUT...I've seen many players take those next steps, and I've seen players not be able to. Those are big steps, so maybe, yes, he's a long way away, but he's only a sophomore. He already does things that few can do.

My assessment: he's already a handful, and he's the type of improvements I described away from being a force. BUT...I've seen many players take those next steps, and I've seen players not be able to. Those are big steps, so maybe, yes, he's a long way away, but he's only a sophomore. He already does things that few can do.
That’s fair. He could be good. Fairly similar to Courtney James, Holman, Sampson, probably worse than Murphy…just don’t see a star unless he really develops an outside game. A good player for sure, but when I look at him I see 12 and 8 not 18 and 10.

Reality- every passing minute neither of these 2 commit the worse and worse the perception gets. Legit if these 2 don't sign there will be 0 improvement over last year
I agree if we don't get these 2 guys (Or guys at a similar level), it'll be hard to be optimistic going into the year.

...but the Twin Cities has a lot of "big business". There are 16 Fortune 500 companies. 16 Minnesota.

There are more than a dozen private companies in Minnesota with more than a billion dollars in revenue. Cargill, Carlson Companies, Holiday, Andersen Windows, MA Mortenson and on and on.
And are all their customers from MN? If not, - actually, let me put it this way. If the company you were buying your cereal from, or your "xyz" from started sponsoring Badger or Hawkeye athletes, wouldn't you patronize someone else? I would.

These execs have to appeal to a broad audience that exists outside of the fandom of gopher sports. Most likely, they have FAR more consumers who are NOT gopher fans than consumers who are gopher fans. That might have something to do with it.

And are all their customers from MN? If not, - actually, let me put it this way. If the company you were buying your cereal from, or your "xyz" from started sponsoring Badger or Hawkeye athletes, wouldn't you patronize someone else? I would.

These execs have to appeal to a broad audience that exists outside of the fandom of gopher sports. Most likely, they have FAR more consumers who are NOT gopher fans than consumers who are gopher fans. That might have something to do with it.
I don't think that's a huge deal. Nike customers are not all from Oregon and so on. I don't think most consumers would give much of a rip if a Minnesota manufacturer was throwing a bone to the Gophers. I'd buy from a Wisconsin, Badger supporting window company if their windows were a better overall value.

I don't think that's a huge deal. Nike customers are not all from Oregon and so on. I don't think most consumers would give much of a rip if a Minnesota manufacturer was throwing a bone to the Gophers. I'd buy from a Wisconsin, Badger supporting window company if their windows were a better overall value.
You are correct. In reverse I wouldn't buy Nike's Chinese shoes if they were boxed in Chaska.

The issue with big corporations is their marketing children don't know a football from a wheel barrow. They have seen neither nor care.

That’s fair. He could be good. Fairly similar to Courtney James, Holman, Sampson, probably worse than Murphy…just don’t see a star unless he really develops an outside game. A good player for sure, but when I look at him I see 12 and 8 not 18 and 10.

I think you have to look at the pace of Payne's improvement. A couple of years ago he was hardly on the radar. Then he started to rise as a senior but still was not rated nearly as high as Oturu was as a senior in HS. By the end of last year he was nearing the effectiveness of Oturu as a frosh. Oturu made a big jump as a sophomore and I think Payne is going to do the same. Daniel may not have made it in the NBA but he was a star here for sure as a soph.

Come on, there is truth in what you say that times have changed but the Twin Cities has a lot of "big business". There are 16 Fortune 500 companies. 16 Minnesota. And additionally a whole bunch of local guys with big enterprises.
There are more than a dozen private companies in Minnesota with more than a billion dollars in revenue. Cargill, Carlson Companies, Holiday, Andersen Windows, MA Mortenson and on and on.
You got at least half a dozen guys in each of the companies to establish a relationship with who has the authority to make a deal for internships or otherwise mentor an interested athlete that turns into a high paying career for the student. But, you need to find the company guy and the coach who disagrees with you that it's no longer possible and just does it.
1000% possible and 1000% workable but it would take effort.
These robot executives you talk about still go to work and live here. They play golf, they go to games, they attend events, they are in the community...they are accessible. There are guys willing to mentor interested students and the head coach and help the Gophers. Might require the coach to stop by the sales meeting or something. 100% sure it is a valid path to success. Also, pretty sure they are not going to call up and say they are available. Going to take effort and time to build that program but it would be effective.

Just like you say it won't work...it wouldn't appeal to every recruit but the ones it did I do believe would be team leaders. Also, probably not how you do it if you plan to only be the coach for a couple seasons here.
NIL is a $million times quicker for sure. PJ talks about mentoring his guys for life...guessing he is doing some version of this already for certain guys.
As someone who works in marketing for one of these very large Minnesota companies, I can tell you that this is not how this works.

Internships etc. are usually run through the HR department like any other job opening. They are run through Taleo or some similar system, and then reviewed by HR staff, which in many cases, is located off-shore. After that, it goes to the hiring manager. They have virtually nothing to do with individual relationships or glad-handing, and certainly have nothing to do with supporting Gopher, or any other sports.

If any executive was doing what you suggest, they'd likely be reprimanded for not doing their job. Yes, they are out in the community at times, but not to prop up a college basketball team - their public appearances are more geared toward charitable enterprises.

I would guess this to be true of most major corporations - which is why the schools with big time NIL are getting it from a few large donors - not companies.

Fair reply, I can see people taking both sides.

As someone who works in marketing for one of these very large Minnesota companies, I can tell you that this is not how this works.

Internships etc. are usually run through the HR department like any other job opening. They are run through Taleo or some similar system, and then reviewed by HR staff, which in many cases, is located off-shore. After that, it goes to the hiring manager. They have virtually nothing to do with individual relationships or glad-handing, and certainly have nothing to do with supporting Gopher, or any other sports.

If any executive was doing what you suggest, they'd likely be reprimanded for not doing their job. Yes, they are out in the community at times, but not to prop up a college basketball team - their public appearances are more geared toward charitable enterprises.

I would guess this to be true of most major corporations - which is why the schools with big time NIL are getting it from a few large donors - not companies.
I’m not focused on NIL - I’m more into relationships and opportunities. I’m thinking more about big money careers introductions. You are talking how it is. I’m looking to establish exceptions. More the kind of thing, you’d say- “huh, doesn’t usually work like that”
Minnesota has the handicaps that need unconventional solutions.
Somebody mentioned Nike, pretty big exception there for Oregon if it was about money.

Reality- every passing minute neither of these 2 commit the worse and worse the perception gets. Legit if these 2 don't sign there will be 0 improvement over last year
Every passing minute....really.....come on.

If we don't land 1 or both of these guys it will definitely be disappointing but honestly how could some of you have any lower perception of the team than you already do?

So, I rarely click on these. Seeing Marcus' tweet, I thought Katz was predicting a breakout year for Payne. In actuality, he was picking one returning player to breakout from each team, and he ranked them in order of impact.

Guess who #14 is.

Whoever said Marcus is a cheerleader nailed it. I think he saw Payne's name on a list of breakout players and hit RT, not realizing how backhanded the compliment was.

So, I rarely click on these. Seeing Marcus' tweet, I thought Katz was predicting a breakout year for Payne. In actuality, he was picking one returning player to breakout from each team, and he ranked them in order of impact.

Guess who #14 is.

Whoever said Marcus is a cheerleader nailed it. I think he saw Payne's name on a list of breakout players and hit RT, not realizing how backhanded the compliment was.
Thank goodness USC and UCLA aren’t in yet.

I think you have to look at the pace of Payne's improvement. A couple of years ago he was hardly on the radar. Then he started to rise as a senior but still was not rated nearly as high as Oturu was as a senior in HS. By the end of last year he was nearing the effectiveness of Oturu as a frosh. Oturu made a big jump as a sophomore and I think Payne is going to do the same. Daniel may not have made it in the NBA but he was a star here for sure as a soph.
I hope you are right. Oturu averaged 21 and 11 as a sophomore so it’s a big jump. If Payne averages 12 and 8 as a sophomore I’d consider that good improvement

Every passing minute....really.....come on.

If we don't land 1 or both of these guys it will definitely be disappointing but honestly how could some of you have any lower perception of the team than you already do?
My perception is and will get lower when we can't even get middle of the pack kids to come here, seriously if we loose out to st. Bonnie.... This is the friggin B1G..... Stop accepting Ben's mediocrity....

I hope you are right. Oturu averaged 21 and 11 as a sophomore so it’s a big jump. If Payne averages 12 and 8 as a sophomore I’d consider that good improvement
If we have 9 in the rotation that average 12 we are in good shape. A rodent juggernaut.

My perception is and will get lower when we can't even get middle of the pack kids to come here, seriously if we loose out to st. Bonnie.... This is the friggin B1G..... Stop accepting Ben's mediocrity....
The only thing I am accepting is that Johnson is going to be the coach in 23-24 so hoping for the best. If he can't get the players he needs from the portal then there is a good chance he will get canned after the upcoming season and I am sure there will be much rejoicing from the fans desperate for that day to come.

The only thing I am accepting is that Johnson is going to be the coach in 23-24 so hoping for the best. If he can't get the players he needs from the portal then there is a good chance he will get canned after the upcoming season and I am sure there will be much rejoicing from the fans desperate for that day to come.
Just get Pride and Brown (Or 2 at equal level or better) locked so we can all have some hope going into this next year. Or at least those of us who do want success.

Would Payne have even seen the floor on the 2019 team? Oturu avg 11 and 7 on a R32 team. Payne avg 8 and 5 on the worst Gophers team of my life. Payne is a good player, but Oturu was an elite player. I just don't see Payne with that type of upside.

Hope. If.

Amazing.

Very, very few are desperate to fire yet another coach, just isn't true at all. Yet mnvcguy continues this line of rubbish. He simply cant accept reality.

Would Payne have even seen the floor on the 2019 team? Oturu avg 11 and 7 on a R32 team. Payne avg 8 and 5 on the worst Gophers team of my life. Payne is a good player, but Oturu was an elite player. I just don't see Payne with that type of upside.
Side note. Prurient left too early. Should have stayed for 4 years.

Top Bottom