Q&A: Senior CB Rashaun Croney Has SEC Offers, Expected to Visit Gophers This Weekend

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Senior CB Rashaun Croney Has SEC Offers, Expected to Visit Gophers This Weekend

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/370354?referrer_id=388419

Rashaun Croney, a 6-1 cornerback from Pahokee (FL) High, is expected to visit Minnesota this weekend. The senior could end up as a late addition to the Class of 2014 signing class.

Croney helped lead the Blue Devils to a 6-5 mark as a senior and has offers from South Carolina, Arkansas and Marshall amongst others.

Gopher Hole caught up with Pahokee head coach Blaze Thompson to learn more about his standout player

Gopher Hole: What do you Rashuan's strengths as a football player?

Blaze Thompson: I would say, one is his versatility, whether it is playing defensive back. He is versatile. He can play corner or safety. He's got the shoulders. He could carry close to 180, 190 and play safety or he could be that 160, 170, 175 corner. At 6-1, he has got hips. He can turn. He has good lateral speed. He can play receiver. In high school, he played quarterback for us and outside linebacker, safety and corner. His versatility. His quickness. His speed and he is a great kid.

Gopher Hole: What have your dealings with him off the field been like?

Blaze Thompson: I was his eighth grade algebra teacher. I have known him for six years. I have known his family. I knew his father in high school. I can't say that I have seen him much outside of football, but as a teacher, as a dean and as his head coach, I have been around him for a lot of stuff that wasn't during football season and he has been a respectful kid. The issue right now is just getting his grades up. That is the only reason that he is not anywhere right now. He would have been at South Carolina, if he had been closer to being eligible. Minnesota, if they are to get him there, is picking up a major Division I athlete.

Gopher Hole: He is supposed to visit Minnesota Friday. Is he down to just a couple of schools or does a lot depend on making sure that he is going to be eligible?

Blaze Thompson: It all depends on his GPA. He has got a decent test score. I think that he has a combined 64 or 65, I want to say, which isn't great, but it is good enough. He just needs to get his GPA up.

Gopher Hole: You mentioned some of his strengths. What are some of the things that like any player, he needs to improve on to play at the next level?

Blaze Thompson: Strength. In all high school athletes, they are typically needing to spend more time in that weight room. His conditioning, he knows how to condition his body. His intelligence is high, but you know going from high school to college is a jump, so he is going to have to spend some time learning new defenses, if that is where they want him or the new offensive schemes.

Gopher Hole: Was he one of your captains this year?

Blaze Thompson: Yes. He was an offensive captain. He was the quarterback.

Gopher Hole: How was he as a leader for the team?

Blaze Thompson: I don't want to say impeccable, because everyone is a human and makes mistakes, but he never misses practice. A vocal leader on the field. Not a quitter. Was a guy that was able to work through adversity and lead through example. Those are his strong points.

Had offers from South Carolina and Arkansas, among others.

yep, that's what chris' article says too. sounds like grades are the issue, definitely worth taking a flyer on a kid like this if he can get in, which is obviously the question mark.

yep, that's what chris' article says too. sounds like grades are the issue, definitely worth taking a flyer on a kid like this if he can get in, which is obviously the question mark.

According to Ryan Burns, the coaches feel that they have a very good chance of getting him into school and Croney has said he is "planning on" signing with Minnesota.

According to Ryan Burns, the coaches feel that they have a very good chance of getting him into school and Croney has said he is "planning on" signing with Minnesota.

Great news!!! We needed another DB in this class and he was a HS QB. Sounds like he could be a great CB. Hope he gets in.

He is making the trip this weekend for a reason.

He's picking a good weekend to visit by MN weather standards. Hopefully Kill & Co. can lock him down.

Hopefully his parents are engaged and see the value of Kill and staff's emphasis on academics. Based on sheer odds alone, the kid is not likely to be NFL material, but with this staff, he has a great chance of being college graduate material.

Another DB would be welcome. Agree with Mr. C's post completely.

It would be great to add another DB to this class. The one position group that was lacking for depth.

speaking of late recruiting what is the word on cali WR Alex Eugerbide? It seems he has committed yet.

Keep bringing in the athletes. Myrick, McGhee, James & Croney will give the coaches a lot to work with moving forward.

speaking of late recruiting what is the word on cali WR Alex Eugerbide? It seems he has committed yet.

He's waiting to hear back from schools on whether he's admitted or not. The kid is extremely smart. He's waiting to hear back from MIT, etc. and got a 34 or 35 on his ACT.

For some reason I had assumed he was a 2015 recruit. Just now realized that he's a 2014 recruit. This was would a nice late signing.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Np_fA3YFTTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top Bottom