Postgame Thread: Gophers Lose to North Carolina

I thought we would be more competitive but getting burned on two long TD’s, not converting our two TO’s to touchdowns n a horrible pass offense leads to the big loss.
#7 Gousby who has hardly played was burned on both long Td's with no awareness of where the ball was. He isn't ready.

Last edited:

The Bad:
Drake Maye is really good.
PJ has some of the most bizarre timeout uses in college football. Your guys are out of position and it’s a big 3rd down and you don’t call a time out. Why??? Result long bomb. Had 2 timeouts left first half and all 3 the second!
Pass D was tough…Maye’s ability to matriculate in the pocket made it tough.
OC’s have no flow, really bad play calls at odd times. Can they get better?
Definitely out-coached all over.
Not sold on Athan, he doesn’t have good touch, and his decision making hasn’t been great. Hope he can learn and blossom, but disappointed in his play today.
The Good:
Darius Taylor is Mo with wheels…we have something there!
Defense against the run was solid.
Henderson is a player.
Dline made some plays and pressure (not enough though)
NC is a good team and Gophers played poorly, not a good combo. Is App State really better than us? Maybe!

Poorly executed play calling, QB was lacking anticipation and over throwing all game even with receivers open. Defense could not make plays on 3rd down. Disliked decision down 11 to punt the ball away. That punt is not playing to win. We have no chance if back up Qb's have to play and Athan was not good today. Too many dropped passes. Span-Ford needed to bat the ball not bat it up for INT. North Carolina outplayed and out hustled Gophers which was bad. Gophers could have won this football game with better execution. # 7 Goulsby on defense will be found on film every game and picked on, all good teams will exploit him in match-up's.
Agree with most of this, but let’s ease up on 7, he’s a young player and will get better. Why was he playing so much this game though?

I’m going to go against the grain here and take the glass half full approach. We went on the road against a top 20 team and were toe to toe for about 53 minutes. Passing game is a concern, people were fooling themselves if they didn’t think Athan would have some growing pains. We will not see another QB that is nearly as good as Maye, and our defense found a way to keep it competitive. We have also found the next great gopher RB. Disappointing loss? Of course. Discouraging for the rest of the season? I don’t think
I agree. It was ugly but a tough team on the road. They will probably get pounded by Ohio state and Michigan. Need to get a split with Wisconsin and Iowa and win the rest. I do highly doubt that happens but hopefully they improve as the year goes on. Young qb and he could pull it together like we all saw last year in a few games. I’m not sure I understand all the sky is falling rhetoric, what did the average gopher fan really expect this year with a brutal schedule and having to replace some 6 year players and leaders.

Spann-Ford has been 'not so good' this year so far.
Linebacking unit really misses Lindenberg.
Crooms is our only reliable receiver.

AK had a rough game. He needs to be able to hit some of those deep shots. We haven’t hit one all year, the wrs shouldn’t need to be wide open to convert one once in a while, Crooms and Brockington both were open enough on two missed shots this game.

How do you get beat deep with 8 in coverage? We did it more than once. Uncharacteristically poor pass defense was the most disappointing thing today. Following in a close second... we were winning the trenches and we yet insisted today was the day we were going to become a passing team. That's on the coaches. It's clear our QB has a long way to go. Great game from the freshman RB, he has a great feel for things.

Okay I have defended AK his whole time here but at this point come on. Show us something and I mean literally something. He has yet to hit a guy in stride on the deep ball or go on a serious run with his legs. And stop with the "give him time", it has been plenty of starts for him to show progress but there has been none.

AK had a bad game, the team had a bad game, it happens. We are good enough to beat NC, but unfortunately we did make mistakes.

Let’s move on and get ready for B1G play.
QB had mentally and physically a terrible performance. He quit. Inexcusable. 7 was awful although never know for sure about assignments. I thought the rest of the team fought like crazy. Head coaches generally of any renown run circles around PJ and did again today.

Need to coach play with more of a sense of urgency. Play like a team that is still trying to figure out its identity.

Good lord. I was high on AK and the receiver corps coming into year but this offense resembles the talent-poor 2017 Demry Croft led offense. I thought that dumpster fire was far in the rearview mirror with PJ but here we are.

all off-season, Ryan Burns was telling us that Athan had "arm talent" and would be the best Gopher QB in years.

I'm sorry Burnsie, but I don't see it. AK has no touch - throws every pass the same speed - and frequently throws into coverage. to quote someone (can't remember), AK throws it where the receiver is - not where the receiver is going to be.

that doesn't mean it's a lost cause. he has athletic ability - he has the potential to improve. but if he doesn't improve, then good defenses will be able to make the Gophers one-dimensional, and Mo is not around to bail them out anymore.

I still see this team becoming bowl eligible - maybe 7-5. 8-4 if they figure out the passing game.
need to get healthy.

How do you get beat deep with 8 in coverage? We did it more than once. Uncharacteristically poor pass defense was the most disappointing thing today. Following in a close second... we were winning the trenches and we yet insisted today was the day we were going to become a passing team. That's on the coaches. It's clear our QB has a long way to go. Great game from the freshman RB, he has a great feel for things.
I don’t think we truly dropped 8 most of the time. Usually 1 or 2 guys floating around the LOS spying Maye.

It’s not on 7 o
Agree with most of this, but let’s ease up on 7, he’s a young player and will get better. Why was he playing so much this game though?
It’s not on the player it’s on the coaches for playing him. Clearly not ready for prime time.

Tanner had much better touch and threw the slants much better, hitting receivers in stride. It would be nice to have a dual threat QB. AK does not run well. Passing game has to get MUCH better.
Taylor and Oline were pretty good.
Thought we defended the run really well.
We miss Cody and Gousby (sp?) is currently a liability (though 2nd one I blame on Rossi and Fleck changing out players and not calling a TO).

Watching other teams' passing schemes, I always seem to notice that there are more secondary routes and that their receivers seem to be able to make adjustments when a play breaks down. Kaliakmanis has to be more decisive if he decides to run (hurt him a couple of times today) and the passing attack needs to enter the 21st century, both in terms of WR and QB play.

Tough loss today. Lots of questions on offense only scoring 13 points against a suspect defense.

However the B1G West is worse than it usually is which is saying something. They'll take it on the chin vs Michigan & Ohio State but everybody else is pretty meh at best.

.... he did. He said Harbaugh was calling plays after the first game...
That should end now as of now as he's terrible at two jobs. Give Simon duties effective immediately. The obsession with the QB coach calling plays is idiotic.

Top Bottom