Post Game Thread: Gophers Suffer Disappointing Homecoming Loss to Purdue

PJ doesn’t measure upside vs. downside the way most humans do …

Didn’t notice that— sucks but the crew did suck all day.
Yes, the right defensive lineman for Purdue jumped. But check out our right tackle--#77. Completely blown back 3 yards by the Purdue lineman, destroying any chance for success on that play. I thought he was supposed to be an incredible transfer from Notre Dame? What gives?

The only consolation is that it was Purdue. I don't care about Purdue, other than that they might be a contender in the West. Their choo choo train and the big drum are kind of irritating. That's about as much dislike I can muster.

The only consolation is that it was Purdue. I don't care about Purdue, other than that they might be a contender in the West. Their choo choo train and the big drum are kind of irritating. That's about as much dislike I can muster.
Also the walleye fingers are still good.

Goophers were flat in the first half - no doubt about it; not all players, but the team in general. No spark. Very much a replay of Bowling Green and Illinois last year - stuff the UM run and it's up to Morgan and he's not up to it. As in those games, we could score only one touchdown in this one. Both Illinois and Penn State will be tough, coming up next. Gophers obviously missed Mo and Autman-Bell.

I attended today's game. Where do I start? Gophers first possession should have told the coaching staff that Purdue was set up to stop the run. They did the whole game. Whether it was a mental letdown after learning that Mo was not going to play or the O line having a really bad day with blitzing LB's hitting the gaps the run game was not there. The passing game was impacted by not getting separation, Morgan running for his life, particularly to his left, and "the drop" which could have changed the momentum of the game. Throw in a missed chippy field goal, and you have the result. The defense played great with two interceptions and a recovered fumble.The 68 yard Purdue run at the end with the clock running down was the only really bad defensive play of the game. Gophers have two weeks to get ready for the Illini in Champaign and that game will dictate the West Division. Iowa , Wisconsin, and Purdue don;t have any cupcakes coming up, so lets get healthy, beat Illini and then let GopherHolers discuss the sitiation. Go Gophers.

That officiating crew is far and away the worst in the BT year in and year out. Don’t get how they keep bringing them back. They can’t even spot the ball correctly. How about the face mask call on Purdue and the guy was grabbing his jersey. I hate when I see that crew because I know they’ll be multiple terrible calls.
The spots were awful today.

2 has a low ceiling; always has. I would much rather have had 8 out there playing today in the second half with his escapability and arm strength. Hell if we’re gonna lose let’s go down with our most athletic and potentially game changing players on the field. We still trot a few too many unathletic kids in key spots to be able to overcome lackluster days like today against a quality opponent. Fleck would rather lose though then to make a change at quarterback to see if we could get a spark.
The "hail mary" at the end of the first half was launched from about our 45 or 50 and landed at the 20-25, and he was rolling right with time to set his feet.

That kind of arm strength is just not going to cut it if you have to stretch the field. The only reason it wasn't intercepted is that the D-backs were all back by the end zone. Even they were caught off-guard by that flop of a throw.

I think Purdue is a decent team, we couldn't have the number of missed opportunities and mistakes we had.

On to next week.

Inexplicable, really.
That and they ran Kramer out there didn't they?

So Purdue is playing the run heavily ...

It's a run situation ...

Our OL is kinda wonky today ...

We run out Kramer ... whose plays are QB runs ...

I get that we had an RB out there too but it was a weird call IMO. It was one of those "too cute" and played right into the defense's hands moments.

Why am I not shocked? Happens every damn year
Not that it makes it any better.

But the only teams who go a full season without taking an unexpected loss:

- Always underdogs.

- Blue blood playoff teams with 5* players ... and often not even then.

Doesn't make any given game ok, but gotta keep perspective, football is a long season ...

Not that it makes it any better.

But the only teams who go a full season without taking an unexpected loss:

- Always underdogs.

- Blue blood playoff teams with 5* players ... and often not even then.
Homecoming and they have mistake after mistake. Just not a good look. How can you not get up for a homecoming game against a team you should beat, a chance at a big bowl game and they do that. Like I said I’m not shocked just disappointed once again

Homecoming and they have mistake after mistake. Just not a good look. How can you not get up for a homecoming game against a team you should beat, a chance at a big bowl game and they do that. Like I said I’m not shocked just disappointed once again
Defense got up ...

My quick thoughts on the game.

Team came out flat on offense and defense. D settled in after first drive and played really well, offense never got on track.

Refs absolutely blew a couple huge calls early in the game. Should have been offensive PI against Purdue and they also should have flagged Purdue for defensive PI in the EZ as well.

Can't miss chip shot field goals

MBS has to catch the ball in the EZ....Period. Play is compounded by the fact that it ends up as an INT taking any shot at points off the board. But MBS has to make that catch, he was wide open, ball hit him in the hands, no excuses.

Morgan had an off game, wasn't helped by some key drops and poor protection but he also missed on some throws. Offense was out of sync all day.

Oliver with the late hit out of bounds was a huge unforced error and the kind of thing Fleck teams usually avoid.

What happened to the Morgan push play on short yardage? I don't think that play has been stopped yet. I didn't like the 4th down decision but the worst part about it was the play call.

In spite of playing really poorly on offense and special teams in the first half the game was still there to be won. Defense played well enough to get the W, offense just didn't get it done.

Very disappointing performance, season is not over and everything is still in front of them. Coaches will have the teams full attention during the bye week. Hopefully they get things back on track for Illinois in 2 weeks.

Games like this show that depth really matters.

Recruiting has improved under Fleck but programs like Minnesota simply cannot recruit enough depth to play without your top RB & WR.
And just think we ran off two running backs because we needed their scholarships

You just CANNOT lose that game. At home, newly ranked, fan support kicking in like crazy, two road games coming up...you just cannot lose that game.
This. It really was a terrible time to lose and it’s just seems like they learned nothing from Bowling Green and Illinois last year.

I'm going to temper my expectations for the Gophs this year. This won't be the last tough game where things aren't going as planned. Slogger knocker games require playmakers to pull the team out of the funk.

The problem with this team is the best two playmakers are hurt. One out for the season (CAB) and one with a history of injuries that you can't count on being there (Mo). The depth behind them is average and they aren't playmakers. In 2019, the team got lucky with the main playmakers staying healthy. Plus, the RB room had more talent. This team needs to get lucky with injuries the rest of the year. Let's hope the defense stays healthy so this team can win Iowa style on occasion.

I just finished the game and am still processing MN ending the game with 3 timeouts. There was still what, 1:30 left in the game? Emblematic.
I‘ll take a different tack and credit Purdue with playing a great defensive game. Good pressure on QB and stuffed the run game of MN.
The game turned on the astounding 4th down call, the end zone drop and interception, and the missed cupcake field goal.
Team and stadium seemed flat all day.
Morgan didn’t have a great game, but played well enough to win. the offensive line was much worse.
MBS continues to have 50:50 hands. Not good enough.
MN defense played pretty well. Striggow is good.
Potts seems hurt
Kramer isn’t Seth Green.
Carroll

Regrettable game, flat, low focus was clear. Coach seemed out to lunch. Big Ten West still there for the taking. This game could have easily gone the other way. One of those days.

Credit to Purdue for shutting down our offensive line. Gophers couldn't get much success because of it, and it kind of showed everyone else in the B1G how to stop them. Hope better adjustments are made in the future and Mo comes back healthy.

Wonder how much Mo could have even accomplished if he did play?

I just finished the game and am still processing MN ending the game with 3 timeouts. There was still what, 1:30 left in the game? Emblematic.
I‘ll take a different tack and credit Purdue with playing a great defensive game. Good pressure on QB and stuffed the run game of MN.
The game turned on the astounding 4th down call, the end zone drop and interception, and the missed cupcake field goal.
Team and stadium seemed flat all day.
Morgan didn’t have a great game, but played well enough to win. the offensive line was much worse.
MBS continues to have 50:50 hands. Not good enough.
MN defense played pretty well. Striggow is good.
Potts seems hurt
Kramer isn’t Seth Green.
Carroll

Regrettable game, flat, low focus was clear. Coach seemed out to lunch. Big Ten West still there for the taking. This game could have easily gone the other way. One of those days.
They just sucked today, could kick ass the next month but today they just didn’t have it. Happens all the time.

Top Bottom