Post Game Thread: Gophers Suffer Disappointing Homecoming Loss to Purdue

That was truly idiotic. I get trying to get the first down with Mo in there, or Seth Green back in those days, but Potts and the O-line had showed absolutely nothing at that point in the game.
Low reward, high risk. He did the same thing vs. Purdue here two years ago in a game the Gophers were lucky to win. Among Fleck's many strengths, I would not include resistance to impulsiveness.

Potts lack of explosiveness was really disturbing.
The 2 and 3-yard runs we saw today through minimal holes are often 4or 5- yard gains with the more powerful Mo. Enough difference to sustain drives.

I have to give Purdue credit for what they did on defense. They must have seen a weakness in the right side of the O-line and completely blew it up almost every play. This had a dual impact in 1) disrupting the slow read hand off, and 2) quickly getting in Tanner's face on most throws. A more fleet footed QB could take advantage of that over play, but that's not Tanner's strength. Mo could take advantage of it by beating the first defender; the other RBs not so much. Expect to see it more this year. Let's see if KC can adjust.

The "hail mary" at the end of the first half was launched from about our 45 or 50 and landed at the 20-25, and he was rolling right with time to set his feet.

That kind of arm strength is just not going to cut it if you have to stretch the field. The only reason it wasn't intercepted is that the D-backs were all back by the end zone. Even they were caught off-guard by that flop of a throw.
Looked like it didn't come out of his hand cleanly but still embarrassing.

Dissapointing day all around. No Mo, going on 4th down in the 1st, the missed FG, the MBS drop/interception. Gut feeling is we let one slip away that we shouldn’t have.

My analysis of yesterday is that Purdue tried to hand the game over to us for three quarters and we didn’t want to go along with it...shooting ourselves in the foot at every opportunity. Finally, at some point in the 4th quarter the Boilermakers said “fine, if you don’t care, we’ll just take it then”.

Had a lot of the same reactions already shared here when I watched on Saturday. Frustrating game to see from start to finish. The fourth down play, dropped passes, inability to capitalize on turnovers, all of it was awful to watch.

After cooling off from gameday, I still think this team can regroup and have a great season still. The Big Ten is never going to be an easy ride, Purdue went 9-4 last year and Brohm seemed to really want to get back at Fleck. It's understandable that they could win, especially when Minnesota was without CRAB and Mo.

I hate the loss. I hate it, when it was homecoming weekend, with the striped stadium looking awesome, and being ranked in the top 25. Now the ranking is gone and it feels like the momentum has left, too.

But the best way to fix that is to win, and the Gophers have some great opportunities for big wins in the next few weeks after the bye. Knock Illinois back down to Earth and then upset Penn State in primetime. Lots of football left.

Had a lot of the same reactions already shared here when I watched on Saturday. Frustrating game to see from start to finish. The fourth down play, dropped passes, inability to capitalize on turnovers, all of it was awful to watch.

After cooling off from gameday, I still think this team can regroup and have a great season still. The Big Ten is never going to be an easy ride, Purdue went 9-4 last year and Brohm seemed to really want to get back at Fleck. It's understandable that they could win, especially when Minnesota was without CRAB and Mo.

I hate the loss. I hate it, when it was homecoming weekend, with the striped stadium looking awesome, and being ranked in the top 25. Now the ranking is gone and it feels like the momentum has left, too.

But the best way to fix that is to win, and the Gophers have some great opportunities for big wins in the next few weeks after the bye. Knock Illinois back down to Earth and then upset Penn State in primetime. Lots of football left.
Exactly, if we win the next two games, we are where a lot of people expected us to be, just with the 1 loss coming from a different team.

The only thing being 6-1 with a loss to Purdue instead of PSU/MSU changes is we have a less favorable tiebreaker and need Purdue to have one more conference loss than us.

Top Bottom