Post Game Thread: Gophers Crush Rhode Island

Feeling better but realize the lower competition level today. Hope they save some of these points for IO.

Did what they were supposed to do to a bad team, but looked very different doing it.

Throwing the ball, not bleeding the clock, putting in backups.....lot to like about this one. Defense played great, think they said on the broadcast that the play before their final penalty was the first one Rhode Island had run in Gopher territory so technically they never got off a live snap on the Gpher side of the 50. No matter who you are playing that is tough to do.

If the Gophers can figure out how to run the ball better we might have something here.
Today wasn't about running the ball, I was shocked we had the opportunity to work on the pass and did.

After today's game, i'm starting to doubt that Peej isn't influenced by Gopherhole. We got a lot of what we wanted today.

Lots to be happy about but that was not a very good football team we played.

Enough problems no one on the team better think hard work doesn't need to be done.

Hopefully this cures the yips our coaching staff has suffered from. We'll see where we go from here. Another game we should not have to worry about next week, then we'll really see what we have.

Today wasn't about running the ball, I was shocked we had the opportunity to work on the pass and did.

After today's game, i'm starting to doubt that Peej isn't influenced by Gopherhole. We got a lot of what we wanted today.

Lots to be happy about but that was not a very good football team we played.

Enough problems no one on the team better think hard work doesn't need to be done.

Hopefully this cures the yips our coaching staff has suffered from. We'll see where we go from here. Another game we should not have to worry about next week, then we'll really see what we have.
PeejPT is now just a large language model that scrapes GopherHole comments and broadcasts through the new headsets.

If we talk enough about calling a surprise flea flicker against Iowa we can literally speak it into existence

I thought I would throw the Stats out quickly. I like this stat line as it shows that we weren't riding the starters all game and we got some young guys in there for some reps, which pay dividends down the road.

1725738394362.png

Good win. IMO does not mean a ton I. The long run but gophers did what they needed to do

OBSERVATIONS (at the game)
1) No matter how good Brosmer looked today on your phone or your tablet or your laptop, he was very impressive in person. Play after play I understood why this staff wanted him. The offense feeds off his confidence and leadership. Plus, Drake Lindsey gave me hope if there is an injury to Max.
2) Nubin looks a little down. He knows he can play at this level but nothing worked for him today.
3) Mangham is hungry and will make the most of every time he gets the ball.
4) I like Marcus Major as a player and a person. Yet, it's not quite working for him. I wish he would go watch highlight film of Mo, I think he'd pick up some ideas and techniques.
5) D as a unit looked very good. I like their schemes and reads.
6) For every complaint I heard about ST against UNC, they may have cleaned up their act the most. They were impressive, overall.
7) For whatever reason we really had no running game so I was grateful to see someone authorized turning the switch on for the Air Raid offense.

SUMMARY: Very few of us want to go through another coaching change...but we all want a results change. Maybe today started us on a path towards consistently better results the rest of the way. So, h/t to PJ for letting the offense take what the opposing defense gave them.

P.S. Yes, I know we were playing a terrible team from a terrible town with terrible fans...but I do think Coyle reads the GH and last week he had a "gut-check-time" meeting with PJ before this season got out of control.

Late to the party, a few quick observations.

- Brosmer looked very impressive. I understand the competition but he put the ball on the money almost all game, even on a few of the incompletions. I wish this had been our first game instead of UNC.
- 13 receptions from RB and TE!!!!!
- Game plan overall was good to see. Mixing it up, hopefully continue to see more of that.
- Surprised that the run game wasn't better. But good to see Taylor back out there.
- Defensive line continue to be impressive.
- Perfect day, lots of guys got playing time.

considering the level of opposition, the running game and/or lack of push by the OL was the one significant concern for me coming out of the game.

there seemed to be some personnel switching going on - using Beers quite a bit today in place of Lewis, and then it seemed that they were flipping Beers and Carroll back and forth between guard and tackle depending on the situation. Also used Lewis in the 6-OL jumbo package.

a lot of positives out of the game. got a lot of playing time for the backups - much more so than we've seen before in one-sided games. I hope we see this new approach continue against Nevada.

BTW - Nevada plays Georgia Southern tonight - game on TruTV and Max. (?)

- Backups got in the game and got actual playing time! And they actually got to keep throwing the ball and not just RUTM play after play.
- I’m not sure why PJ is so enamored with Major. I’d like to see more of Bangura and Mangham next week to see what they got.
- Taylor is really good.
- OL really needs to play better. Not sure switching Carroll to Guard has been successful. Any B1G team unable to push around the URI defensive line is inexcusable.
- They were up handily, and Peej let them keep running their offense instead of going into turtle mode. Consider me shocked and pleasantly surprised. Not sure I can remember the last time that’s happened.
- They’ll need Kesich to be better going forward.

Consider me hopeful that PJ is changing his best.

What say you GopherHoler’s?!
MVP -- Brosmer. 24-30 with five drops including what should have been a TD to Driver and a long ball to Brockington. Max threw one uncatchable ball in the first quarter. Two games, two dropped TD passes. Today he was 29 of 30 good passes.

Game Ball -- Harbaugh for using their strength which is Brosmer short and medium range.

Runner up Game Ball -- Fleck. He directed the game plan or at least didn't obstruct it.

Defense A+ -- Doesn't matter who you play, allowing no snaps in your territory and putting up the shutout is A+.

Offensive line -- C. Terrible first quarter and good but not dominating the rest of the way against a weak defense. This is a real change from Gopher teams for many years.

Running game -- B, okay, despite line not dominating. In today's offense the run is to keep the defense honest. It sets up the passing game. (For TOP fans, this is how it's done. Short pass game moves the sticks.)

Koi -- A. He's now the punt return guy and he'll be on the field a lot on D. The Ryan Day gottaway is all of what we hoped.

I noticed Carroll playing RT again. Was Lewis benched or is he hurt?

Top Bottom