Post Game Thread: Gophers Crush Rhode Island

considering the level of opposition, the running game and/or lack of push by the OL was the one significant concern for me coming out of the game.

there seemed to be some personnel switching going on - using Beers quite a bit today in place of Lewis, and then it seemed that they were flipping Beers and Carroll back and forth between guard and tackle depending on the situation. Also used Lewis in the 6-OL jumbo package.

a lot of positives out of the game. got a lot of playing time for the backups - much more so than we've seen before in one-sided games. I hope we see this new approach continue against Nevada.

BTW - Nevada plays Georgia Southern tonight - game on TruTV and Max. (?)
…using and flipping beers usually ends up with a drunk TE…

Did OL Phillip Daniels play? PJ has played up the kids toughness and athleticism a lot. Expect him to see snaps at RT if right side blocking continues to be subpar.

I acknowledge the weak opponent, but the coaching staff answered all my complaints from over the last couple years. Opened the playbook and threw the ball all over the field. Actually attempted to score a touchdown with time running out in the first half. Returners actually returning kicks rather than fair catching every kick. Playing for a touchdown rather than playing for the field goal when the game was near end and well in hand.

I’m really hoping this is the start of something different. I enjoyed this game. Kind of bummer to see the stadium emptying out so early.

Last edited:

Show me a perfect team performance anywhere. There’s always something. The team’s most aggravating tendencies were addressed. That list of receiving targets is long. Brosmer’s accuracy, touch, maturity, lack of poor throws or throws off his back foot was satisfying. We saw some of our best athletes fielding kicks and punts and attempting better field position. PJ buried a team all the way to the last whistle. Sea change or fan service exhibition?

Did OL Phillip Daniels play? PJ has played up the kids toughness and athleticism a lot. Expect him to see snaps at RT if right side blocking continues to be subpar.
Thought I saw him out there with the second team at RT. The big transfer was at LT and Nelson at LG. Didn’t catch the others

Brosmer showed that accuracy today. Good game by him and the WR/TE’s. Taylor looks shifty as ever.

The line was not good. Taylor bailed them out several times on short yardage makes where they got manhandled or simply missed blocks.

I was at the game today, conditions were great for football. Team did what it was supposed to today, though it took a minute for them to get going. I think Brosmer looked pretty good for the most part, quite a few sharp throws. I think the only issue in the passing game was a couple of dropped passes.

Defense deserves credit for a shutout. Obviously Rhode Island was overwhelmed, but still they played well. As others have mentioned, the one thing of concern was the O Line. Taylor had the ability to break free for some good runs, but the backs weren't getting the gaps I would have expected.

Defense deserves credit for a shutout. Obviously Rhode Island was overwhelmed, but still they played well.
I’m open to being corrected on this… but I don’t think Rhode Island crossed the 50 until something like 7 minutes to go in the game. And then they lost 5 yards on a false start. So RI never ran a play from the Gophers end of the field. Even with a weaker opponent, that’s pretty decent defense.

Beautiful day for a game! Stayed to the end. Really nice to see us throw it around to a bunch of different targets. Great to have Taylor back. Offenseive line needs to improve. I was surprised to see Jackson field a punt. Fun being able to see Lindsey and Perich get some playing time. Manghan ran hard. D was solid! It just feels good to get a win!

If the OL can shore up their pass blocking, and improve in opening lanes for the RBs, our offense would be SO dangerous.

Oh, and if the WRs could stop dropping good passes that hit them in the hands.

I think it's possible, especially with one more tune up game before B1G play, and with Iowa looking middling.... I hope they deliver.

I’m open to being corrected on this… but I don’t think Rhode Island crossed the 50 until something like 7 minutes to go in the game. And then they lost 5 yards on a false start. So RI never ran a play from the Gophers end of the field. Even with a weaker opponent, that’s pretty decent defense.
You are correct. First time they lined up on our half was for the play they false started on which pushed them back across to the other side of the 50.

I don't care who you are playing....doing that is impressive.

On one of the punts, there was a #39 back to return. But I looked at the roster and couldn't find a player who wears that number. Even the PA announcer at the stadium couldn't tell us who it was. Who was it?

On one of the punts, there was a #39 back to return. But I looked at the roster and couldn't find a player who wears that number. Even the PA announcer at the stadium couldn't tell us who it was. Who was it?
Jackson had to wear 39 for returns because there's another 9 that plays special teams.

Jackson wearing a different jersey

Top Bottom