Post Game Thread: Gophers Crush Rhode Island

Max is best playing uptempo, the lolly gagging, bleed the clock until .01 is not his skill set. The O-Line blocking is a concern, you didn't see the traditional blasting the opposing team off the ball. Hopefully we keep up rediscovering the forward pass! D played its traditional steller play, as expected.

MVP -- Brosmer. 24-30 with five drops including what should have been a TD to Driver and a long ball to Brockington. Max threw one uncatchable ball in the first quarter. Two games, two dropped TD passes. Today he was 29 of 30 good passes.

Game Ball -- Harbaugh for using their strength which is Brosmer short and medium range.

Runner up Game Ball -- Fleck. He directed the game plan or at least didn't obstruct it.

Defense A+ -- Doesn't matter who you play, allowing no snaps in your territory and putting up the shutout is A+.

Offensive line -- C. Terrible first quarter and good but not dominating the rest of the way against a weak defense. This is a real change from Gopher teams for many years.

Running game -- B, okay, despite line not dominating. In today's offense the run is to keep the defense honest. It sets up the passing game. (For TOP fans, this is how it's done. Short pass game moves the sticks.)

Koi -- A. He's now the punt return guy and he'll be on the field a lot on D. The Ryan Day gottaway is all of what we hoped.
That throw last week was a drop?

I thought I would throw the Stats out quickly. I like this stat line as it shows that we weren't riding the starters all game and we got some young guys in there for some reps, which pay dividends down the road.

View attachment 33405
Brosmer hit 80% - we don't see that happen very often here (shades of 2019) and Taylor was at the elite level 4+ yards per rush plus caught four passes. Defense excellent - has given up only 1 TD in two games, O-line better, but still needs improvement.

I thought I would throw the Stats out quickly. I like this stat line as it shows that we weren't riding the starters all game and we got some young guys in there for some reps, which pay dividends down the road.

View attachment 33405
Loved seeing all those players involved in the passing game, especially the TEs!

Please provide some details.

I was at the game and maybe I had higher expectations for our run game and that influenced my thinking.

It seemed like there were a lot of carries for 1-3 yards. Darius had a few runs but he made it happen. Major had a nice 9-yarder that the line set up for him.

Our running did not setup our passing...but, our reputation for being run-first and being reticent to pass maybe set up our success with the new Air Max offense yesterday.

RI came in prepared to stop the run figuring PJ would never stray from his M.O. as a coach.

That throw last week was a drop?
It's a catch that a good receiver makes. SEC receivers make that catch. I think Jackson or CRAB would have made that catch most of the time. Maybe doesn't fit the statistical definition of a drop though.

Brosmer hit 80% - we don't see that happen very often here (shades of 2019) and Taylor was at the elite level 4+ yards per rush plus caught four passes. Defense excellent - has given up only 1 TD in two games, O-line better, but still needs improvement.
Brosmer hit about 95%. Receivers caught 80%.

I'm not talking about Iowa, I'm talking about Nevada. If they can have an actual passing game against Nevada, then they might have a chance against Iowa.
I hope I’m wrong, but the Nevada game will not be as easy as some think and hope. The new coaching staff has them playing hard and playing better. Their defense is athletic and speedy on the ends and corners. I think Brosmer’s short passes to the backs will be more of a challenge this week. Might have to throw downfield even more against the Wolfpack. The offensive line is going to have to be better this week to get this win. Nevada seems to be decent against the run but vulnerable thru the air.

It's a catch that a good receiver makes. SEC receivers make that catch.
I agree. I thought it was a great pass by Brosmer placed exactly where it needed to be to have a chance at being caught. It probably gets deflected if thrown higher. The degree of difficulty on that catch was probably a 7-8, so not easy, but a catch a great receiver should make.

I was at the game and maybe I had higher expectations for our run game and that influenced my thinking.

It seemed like there were a lot of carries for 1-3 yards. Darius had a few runs but he made it happen. Major had a nice 9-yarder that the line set up for him.

Our running did not setup our passing...but, our reputation for being run-first and being reticent to pass maybe set up our success with the new Air Max offense yesterday.

RI came in prepared to stop the run figuring PJ would never stray from his M.O. as a coach.
Hope you had a good time. I feel most here on GH thought Fleck needed to use this game and next week to lead with the passing game. Probably 50/50 that he actually would and move away from the basic, conservative rutm scheme he reverts to frequently. Needs to do it again with the Nevada game.

I agree. I thought it was a great pass by Brosmer placed exactly where it needed to be to have a chance at being caught. It probably gets deflected if thrown higher. The degree of difficulty on that catch was probably a 7-8, so not easy, but a catch a great receiver should make.
It's a throw and catch QBs and receivers practice every day. It is valued because it is hard to defend.

Top Bottom