Post game thoughts

This could be a very good team in a year or two. Only lose Ralph this off season. Only lose Rodney and Welch (and Ingram, oh well) in two years with logical replacements (some combination of Buggs, Austin, Oto for Rodney and Dre Hollins for Welch). The knock on Tubby developing players doesn't quite work because they haven't stuck around. I like what he is doing right now. If there is another exodus this off season there needs to be change. You can't win with 4 year recruits that bail after a year or two.

100%. I don't agree that Tubby can't develop players. I think developing 4 year players is what he does & a perfect game plan, but he's got to keep them around for 4 years. I don't fault him for losing Royce, but Cobbs/Devoe/Colt sure would give this team a much better chance right now. That said, losing Ralph will be addition by subtraction. Is there anyone that wants to see less EE & more Ralph? No. If Rodney is remotely thinking about leaving after this season then he's not smart enough to be in college in the first place, he should be back. By the time Welch leaves he'll have been passed up by Dre Hollins & then we'll have Mav to back Dre up for a season as well. This is a team on the up-tick provided we can keep this nucleus together.

They really need a scorer, someone that can create and finish, Andre Hollins looked good in the second half, he may be the guy. I'm not sold on him at point guard but he has the best combination of athleticism and shooting skills. Chip had a bad day, that really hurt. Wisconsin got lucky with some of those 3's in the first half but the result is indicative of the type of finishing that has been happening, they just lose alot of close games, not sure what it is.

I think Coleman will develop a jumper & become a well rounded scorer, Eliason will become a dependable double digit scorer, Walker will be able to score, Dre Hollins is a gunner who we might have to ask to NOT score so much & Chip works well in the role of spark plug with the #2 squad.

100%. I don't agree that Tubby can't develop players. I think developing 4 year players is what he does & a perfect game plan, but he's got to keep them around for 4 years. I don't fault him for losing Royce, but Cobbs/Devoe/Colt sure would give this team a much better chance right now. That said, losing Ralph will be addition by subtraction. Is there anyone that wants to see less EE & more Ralph? No. If Rodney is remotely thinking about leaving after this season then he's not smart enough to be in college in the first place, he should be back. By the time Welch leaves he'll have been passed up by Dre Hollins & then we'll have Mav to back Dre up for a season as well. This is a team on the up-tick provided we can keep this nucleus together.

+1

wisky's players know their roles, dont try to do too much, play D, scrap, box out, dont turn it over, know the Offense... and they always have a go-to guy that can put up 30 when needed. ( leuer, hughes, etc ) AND THEY ARE ALWAYS READY TO PLAY.. ALWAYS GIVE 100%.

minnie? we have almost none of those qualities.. we did play some D 2nite.... held them to 3 FGs in the final 15 minutes or so of reg + ot... and we did put in the effort in the last 10 minutes.

but wisky found a way... FT line.

we don't have a leader.. a go-to guy. A guy we can rally around. Rodney has flashes, coleman looked good for a few games... so do almost all the guys.. but just as quickly, they all fade..

i did like the way Dre challenged Taylor in the 2nd half.. Dre is mr bb from talent-rich Tennessee.. maybe hes 'the guy'?

Getting back to OT = Rodney misses boths fts was a killer - instead ofa tie game Wisc. gets a 4 pt lead and thats it!

Me thinks Tubby doesn't understand how important it is to beat your border rivals. Clem did, Dutch did, and even Mussleman went after Al McGiure at Marquette. I remember Dutch saying when he was doing color with Dick Bremer. "Some of bad games are quickly forgotten when you beat Iowa
and Wisconsin" That doesn't enter Tubby's mindset, and sadly, it never will.

Me thinks you can't stand Tubby so much that you just write nonsense to try and get people to believe the same thing. First of all, WTF does what you said even mean? Do you think he isn't working very hard during rivalry games? Has he made a comment about the game not meaning any more than others? Yeah it sucks we've been losing to our rivals, but this statement was pointless and without merit in my opinion.

Oh, and we're now 9-6 against our rivals under Tubby, a better winning percentage than against the rest of the conference. But you're right, Tubby doesn't get it.

Me thinks you can't stand Tubby so much that you just write nonsense to try and get people to believe the same thing. First of all, WTF does what you said even mean? Do you think he isn't working very hard during rivalry games? Has he made a comment about the game not meaning any more than others? Yeah it sucks we've been losing to our rivals, but this statement was pointless and without merit in my opinion.

Oh, and we're now 9-6 against our rivals under Tubby, a better winning percentage than against the rest of the conference. But you're right, Tubby doesn't get it.

+1

This. Very frustrating. They are FREE dammit

Rodney & his fragile psyche got owned tonight. He got hammered a couple times trying to dunk & then started settling for jumpers, finger rolls & lay-ins. Evans rode Rodney like Seabiscuit tonight. Out-muscled him, out-hustled him & out-finessed him. Long night for Rodney despite his scoring total says.

Pesky statistics.

This would have been almost as epic as the last win at Kohl Center if we'd pulled it off. Instead gut-wrenching. Now 2-5 in tight games in the B1G. It's hard not to think we'd have at least 2 more wins if we had Trevor.

and they always have a go-to guy that can put up 30 when needed. ( leuer, hughes, etc )

Trevon Hughes NEVER scored 30 points in a game.
Jon Leuer NEVER scored 30 points in a game.
Jordan Tayler has scored over 30 points in a game 1 time - against Indiana last year behind 7-8 shooting from 3.

What exactly are you suggesting? He didn't stress the importance of the game enough? Pretty sure that's not the problem.

Me thinks Tubby doesn't understand how important it is to beat your border rivals. Clem did, Dutch did, and even Mussleman went after Al McGiure at Marquette. I remember Dutch saying when he was doing color with Dick Bremer. "Some of bad games are quickly forgotten when you beat Iowa
and Wisconsin" That doesn't enter Tubby's mindset, and sadly, it never will.

Is this a joke? He "settled" for finger rolls and lay-ins? Is that bad? I just hate when Rodney drives by his guy and lays the ball in at will. The two points would be much more valuable if he dunked them.

Rodney & his fragile psyche got owned tonight. He got hammered a couple times trying to dunk & then started settling for jumpers, finger rolls & lay-ins. Evans rode Rodney like Seabiscuit tonight. Out-muscled him, out-hustled him & out-finessed him. Long night for Rodney despite his scoring total says.

Too much Badger grit and basketball IQ for our guys who fought hard...Perhaps the best effort I've seen the Gophers give this season.

The shot clock buzzer beaters in the 1st half were the difference, plus their defense and FT shooting in the OT was superb.

Too much Badger grit and basketball IQ for our guys who fought hard...Perhaps the best effort I've seen the Gophers give this season.

The shot clock buzzer beaters in the 1st half were the difference, plus their defense and FT shooting in the OT was superb.

Really, I know they were 1st half, but my goodness, what was there, three of them? That's 9 points right there on bail outs.

I await this team getting more experience. The "core" of our team is all sophs and freshman (outside Rodney). Guys like the Hollins', Coleman, Eliason, Chip, that's our future. Those guys have shown flashes, and have always shown grit. Now, I await the consistency so they can actually win more of these close encounters rather than shooting themselves in the foot more often than not.

This team isn't far from being a top 5 team in the conference (laughs from the doubters, but whatever it's my opinion lol), just a little improvement from a few guys and suddenly you're the 5 points better that gets you these wins, which leads to confidence. That, or Dre Hollins becoming the stud he's shown bits and pieces of being down the line.

Why don't you answer the f-ing question then. Who the hell is going to come to our rescue after we kick Tubby out of town?

Well, Fred Hoiberg is getting more done in one year than Tubby has in 4. Last time we had an opening Sean Miller was interested. This is an attractive job for a good young coach. Even Flip would be a better recruiter than Tubby. But, to not fire a coach or not extend him because we are unsure of a replacement is like keeping your wife if you don't love her because you don't have a girlfriend yet. Dumb.

I had bad thoughts.

Also, if I ever have to watch the Badgers play basketball again I may pull my eyes out.

Not even close to being accurate. Rodney was blocked a couple of times early(not by Evans), but continued to drive throughout the game. 6 of his 7 FG's were lay-ups. He wasn't owned, out hustled or out finessed. Colorful statement with the Sea Biscuit thing, I'll give you that. Rodney played well. You might want to re-watch the game and isolate Rodney.

For as pathetic as the Gophers played the middle 20 minutes of this game, the last 7:40 (and subsequent 13-0 run) was great. That said, I told the guys I was sitting with that if the Gophs couldn't close the deal in regulation, overtime would go exactly how it went.

And what were they doing standing around until 5 seconds were on Ye Olde Clock? They should be going at 12, "leave time on the clock" be damned. They had to get a better look at the end of regulation than they did.

And I don't think that Dre got the desperation heave away in time.

Ralph Sampson. Sit him at the end of the bench and leave him there.

Not you, but some poster (forget who?) kept bumping his own thread saying how obvious it was that Coleman should have been starting all season.
No friend, I never said he should've been starting all season. Go read my post again if you'd like.

All I said was that I thought he should be getting way more than 6-7 min/game (which is what he was getting at the time), if anything to see what he can do.

He's played terribly lately no doubt, but I still think he will be a valuable person for our team moving forward.

Well, Fred Hoiberg is getting more done in one year than Tubby has in 4.

In Hoiberg's 1st year the team was 16-16 overall and 3-13 in the conference. Tubby had 20 wins in his first year and was 8-10 in the conference.

Facts suck.

Despite the sucky loss I would have to mostly agree. Except on Cobbs/Devoe and Colt. Colt was regressing and was terrible even compared to Ralph. We couldn't even get 10 minutes out of him without getting into foul trouble. Devoe was a head case and had an attitute problem so likely wouldn't be playing any better. I recall him not playing very well at all before he was sat down. Nobody ever got to see enough of Cobbs here to make any kind of determination on him. Cobbs and Devoe may be doing well where they are but that doesn't mean they would here. We are on the "up-tick" though and I expect next season will be better than this one with EE getting even more minutes and the return of Mo.

I had bad thoughts.

Also, if I ever have to watch the Badgers play basketball again I may pull my eyes out.
They may win but to be a fan of that team and style would almost be as bad as being a Gopher fan.Taking good shots is one thing but milking the clock all game long.Badger grit and basketball iq is flat out bad for the Big Ten.The perception of the Badgers nationwide is well earned.Bet half the country thinks Dick Bennet and Bo are the same guy.There style dictates they sell the arena and party campus to their recruits because what kid who likes to play would like that so called system?Flex offense?I call it 35 seconds and shoot a three.

Not even close to being accurate. Rodney was blocked a couple of times early(not by Evans), but continued to drive throughout the game. 6 of his 7 FG's were lay-ups. He wasn't owned, out hustled or out finessed. Colorful statement with the Sea Biscuit thing, I'll give you that. Rodney played well. You might want to re-watch the game and isolate Rodney.

I don't think it is a question of effort, I just think Wisconsin was more physical, that is one thing the Gophers really lack and was exposed last night. Rodney, Ralph, and Austin Hollins just aren't built that way, without Mbwake that kind of a team can be a tough matchup. That is the main thing about Andre Hollins that I really like. He has good offensive skills but he can't be pushed around, he is strong enough to push back. He did a great job on Taylor defensively in the second half.

OSU and MSU provide worse matchups and will be very tough for the Gophers.

physical post players we don't have.

I don't think it is a question of effort, I just think Wisconsin was more physical, that is one thing the Gophers really lack and was exposed last night. Rodney, Ralph, and Austin Hollins just aren't built that way, without Mbwake that kind of a team can be a tough matchup. That is the main thing about Andre Hollins that I really like. He has good offensive skills but he can't be pushed around, he is strong enough to push back. He did a great job on Taylor defensively in the second half.

OSU and MSU provide worse matchups and will be very tough for the Gophers.

I totally agree that since colt left, Walker is injured, and now Trevor, we have no physical players. EE is ok, but it's his first year. He will be quite an enforcer in a few. Seriously Evans really physically beat up Rodney. Sampson gets beat up by everyone. Even the built guards we have are usually a few inches shorter than the players guarding them: Chip, Coleman. Dre's defense was very impressive. Unfortunately he has 2 assists in 28 minutes and people still see him as a point guard. He's a 2 guard all the way and Tubby would do himself a favor by recruiting a real one and letting him score off the ball. Iowa beat us up physically as well...twice. Here's a question.. what happens if walker cannot play and Trevor leaves? Will EE still be the only player with some size/strength? This is a killer in the big ten.

Well, Tubby is now 37-47 in conference games. Two of the Wisconsin wins came from the will of Westbrook ( who was not recruited by Tubby) LW had total disdain for Wisconsin as he indicated in post interviews. I remember Joe Salem the week before the Iowa game would dress up in bibs. Clem actually brought in corn stalks the week before the Iowa game. ( My son attended 5 years of Clem's camps at St. Thomas so I got to know him pretty good) Tubby has no midwest ties so I don't think he puts an extra emphisis on the border battles. The "Tubby' that was at Kentucky is not the "Tubby" we've at Minnesota. he had much more fire and brimstone when he was the Cat coach. Tubby has gone stoic on us. He won't get in the offical's ear and I would never expect him to get a
"T". Sorry, I miss the days of Clem ripping his coat off and Al Brown holding him back from going on the floor. Quite frankly, other than a few games involving the rivals Iowa and Wisconsin if it wasn't for the "Barnyard" Tubby has sucked the life out of Williams Arena

ruppertflywheel said:
Well, Tubby is now 37-47 in conference games. Two of the Wisconsin wins came from the will of Westbrook ( who was not recruited by Tubby) LW had total disdain for Wisconsin as he indicated in post interviews. I remember Joe Salem the week before the Iowa game would dress up in bibs. Clem actually brought in corn stalks the week before the Iowa game. ( My son attended 5 years of Clem's camps at St. Thomas so I got to know him pretty good) Tubby has no midwest ties so I don't think he puts an extra emphisis on the border battles. The "Tubby' that was at Kentucky is not the "Tubby" we've at Minnesota. he had much more fire and brimstone when he was the Cat coach. Tubby has gone stoic on us. He won't get in the offical's ear and I would never expect him to get a
"T". Sorry, I miss the days of Clem ripping his coat off and Al Brown holding him back from going on the floor. Quite frankly, other than a few games involving the rivals Iowa and Wisconsin if it wasn't for the "Barnyard" Tubby has sucked the life out of Williams Arena

Clem had no Midwest ties when he came to the Gophers outside of playing for the Chicago Bulls. Other than that, pretty much his whole life was spent in Kentucky.

Well, Tubby is now 37-47 in conference games.

My point wasn't to say he's done a good job in conference games. The point was that you are saying he doesn't understand the importance of our rivalry games, but by the numbers, he's been better against our two main rivals than the others.

Two of the Wisconsin wins came from the will of Westbrook ( who was not recruited by Tubby) LW had total disdain for Wisconsin as he indicated in post interviews.

I don't know how this proves anything or helps your argument. You could also say that Jordan Taylor won that game for Wisconsin yesterday. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that we are 9-6 against our rivals under Tubby.

I remember Joe Salem the week before the Iowa game would dress up in bibs. Clem actually brought in corn stalks the week before the Iowa game. ( My son attended 5 years of Clem's camps at St. Thomas so I got to know him pretty good) Tubby has no midwest ties so I don't think he puts an extra emphisis on the border battles.

By these comments then, I'm assuming you attended all practices and meetings leading up to the Iowa and Minnesota games, correct?

The "Tubby' that was at Kentucky is not the "Tubby" we've at Minnesota. he had much more fire and brimstone when he was the Cat coach. Tubby has gone stoic on us. He won't get in the offical's ear and I would never expect him to get a

I didn't realize that successful coaches must yell and scream all day long. Also didn't realize that a coach's demeanor has such an affect on the crowd.

Top Bottom