Post game thoughts

This is the most depressed I have been after a Gopher game in a long, long time.

The ONE game I most want to win every year is this one. I hate the Badgers.

I really thought we were going to do it. That OT was one of the saddest things I have ever watched.

Anybody got any good news? Do we still have a shot at the NCAA tournament or is that pretty much over with too?

Remember a month ago when Tubby was an idiot for not starting Coleman from day 1? When the last time he scored a point? Miuch St exposign his weakness & his lack of defense have squashed the JC talk.
I was never calling for Coleman to start. Ya, he played well for a little while, but when your game is as simple and undeveloped as Joe's it's not difficult to stop.

Tubby told them to foul and they didn't.

Then they are not well coached - if they don't do what the coach is asking for at that time of the game on so simple of an instruction as foul right away.....

But even so once they didn't foul early you have to go ahead and get the stop instead of foul with 11 seconds left on the shot clock or whatever it was.

Then they are not well coached - if they don't do what the coach is asking for at that time of the game on so simple of an instruction as foul right away.....

But even so once they didn't foul early you have to go ahead and get the stop instead of foul with 11 seconds left on the shot clock or whatever it was.

They're young. They'll grow and learn.

Two things...1) We're young. These are the painful lumps that young teams take as they learn how to win. 2) We were completely pushed around & bullied. The first time that #33 took Rodney's legs out as he tried to dunk I would have retaliated hockey style by taking out Taylor or Berggen. Tit for tat. Then #33 also took out Ralph, before Ryan took him out of the game. Still no reply from the Gophers. Elliot got mugged, nothing in return. Oto got mugged, no one returns the favor. Chip gets creamed driving the lane, no payback. We let them come into our house & absolutely punk us over & over. Those who say you don't need enforcers in basketball, just watch the replay. If we had Trevor, or Colt, or Miles Tarver, or Randy Carter, Courtney James or someone with some muscle & a set of balls, someone on their team would have gotten a concussion.

I was never calling for Coleman to start. Ya, he played well for a little while, but when your game is as simple and undeveloped as Joe's it's not difficult to stop.

Not you, but some poster (forget who?) kept bumping his own thread saying how obvious it was that Coleman should have been starting all season.

here

Two things...1) We're young. These are the painful lumps that young teams take as they learn how to win. 2) We were completely pushed around & bullied. The first time that #33 took Rodney's legs out as he tried to dunk I would have retaliated hockey style by taking out Taylor or Berggen. Tit for tat. Then #33 also took out Ralph, before Ryan took him out of the game. Still no reply from the Gophers. Elliot got mugged, nothing in return. Oto got mugged, no one returns the favor. Chip gets creamed driving the lane, no payback. We let them come into our house & absolutely punk us over & over. Those who say you don't need enforcers in basketball, just watch the replay. If we had Trevor, or Colt, or Miles Tarver, or Randy Carter, Courtney James or someone with some muscle & a set of balls, someone on their team would have gotten a concussion.

Mo Walker?

Only 6 points out of Ralph and Chip. Ralph with 34 minutes, Chip with 21 minutes. Coleman gets another goose egg playing 19 minutes. Tough loss. A couple of those 3's Wisconsin hit with a second or so on the shot clock really sucked and hurt.

You are totally right CRG. Big concern is that we have not seen physical development by players during Tubby's years. Nothing at all like Clem. Everybody that finished with Clem got strong and tough. You are right that these guys have some potential, but they are going to have to work hard in the offseason to build the strength and toughness they need.

bga1 said:
You are totally right CRG. Big concern is that we have not seen physical development by players during Tubby's years. Nothing at all like Clem. Everybody that finished with Clem got strong and tough. You are right that these guys have some potential, but they are going to have to work hard in the offseason to build the strength and toughness they need.

Clem's guys also had a lot more time to workout with no school work and all lol but I do agree. They need to be on the M. Gray workout plan.

Wisconsin is obviously well coached and gets the most out of their team, but they play the most boring style of basketball I've ever watched. If all teams played like that, I probably would never watch another game.

People can dissect this game in a lot of ways, but what it ultimately comes down to is Jordan Taylor was the best player on the floor. He controls the tempo of the game, runs their sets well, and makes shots. If he wasn't playing the Gophers win by 10-15 points.

We've also seen exactly one Tubby recruit make it 4 years, and you are ignoring Elliott and Oto for some reason who look drastically different than last year. Colt also got much bigger. Mo is much thinner.

We've also seen exactly one Tubby recruit make it 4 years, and you are ignoring Elliott and Oto for some reason who look drastically different than last year. Colt also got much bigger. Mo is much thinner.

Maybe that's the issue. I'll give you Elliot, Colt and Mo though. All look better.

This could be a very good team in a year or two. Only lose Ralph this off season. Only lose Rodney and Welch (and Ingram, oh well) in two years with logical replacements (some combination of Buggs, Austin, Oto for Rodney and Dre Hollins for Welch). The knock on Tubby developing players doesn't quite work because they haven't stuck around. I like what he is doing right now. If there is another exodus this off season there needs to be change. You can't win with 4 year recruits that bail after a year or two.

This could be a very good team in a year or two. Only lose Ralph this off season. Only lose Rodney and Welch (and Ingram, oh well) in two years with logical replacements (some combination of Buggs, Austin, Oto for Rodney and Dre Hollins for Welch). The knock on Tubby developing players doesn't quite work because they haven't stuck around. I like what he is doing right now. If there is another exodus this off season there needs to be change. You can't win with 4 year recruits that bail after a year or two.

Can't Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, and even Iowa look towards that same time period and say they will be significantly better? Wisconsin will add Dekker/Koenig during that time period, so I don't see them falling back much. On paper, I see the Gophers losing ground to teams that were already better than them and perhaps even getting caught from behind by a lesser team.

Can't Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, and even Iowa look towards that same time period and say they will be significantly better? Wisconsin will add Dekker/Koenig during that time period, so I don't see them falling back much. On paper, I see the Gophers losing ground to teams that were already better than them and perhaps even getting caught from behind by a lesser team.

Welp, it's official, we have no hope. Why even watch the games or read/post?

Clearly blowing up the program and starting from scratch is the answer.

Welp, it's official, we have no hope. Why even watch the games or read/post?

That's not what I said at all. Purdue, Iowa, and Michigan all have two 4 star players coming...Michigan also has a 5 star kid coming. Indiana has two 5 star kids and a 4 star kid coming in. The top of the conference is Ohio State and Michigan State and there is no reason to believe that Wisconsin will slip to the bottom of the conference. Watch the games, certainly have hope, but be aware of the direction of the program as compared to its competition.

That's not what I said at all. Purdue, Iowa, and Michigan all have two 4 star players coming...Michigan also has a 5 star kid coming. Indiana has two 5 star kids and a 4 star kid coming in. The top of the conference is Ohio State and Michigan State and there is no reason to believe that Wisconsin will slip to the bottom of the conference. Watch the games, certainly have hope, but be aware of the direction of the program as compared to its competition.

Why watch? The way you see things would suggest that we'll be lucky to win another conference game in the next 5 years.

Clearly blowing up the program and starting from scratch is the answer.

Someone tells the truth (EG#9) and people jump on him. The facts are that we are 7th in recruiting and 7th in the Big Ten standings. Status quo is the answer. Next year????? Again?

They really need a scorer, someone that can create and finish, Andre Hollins looked good in the second half, he may be the guy. I'm not sold on him at point guard but he has the best combination of athleticism and shooting skills. Chip had a bad day, that really hurt. Wisconsin got lucky with some of those 3's in the first half but the result is indicative of the type of finishing that has been happening, they just lose alot of close games, not sure what it is.

Where are all of these trolls/haters after we win? It always gets quiet after a W. Weird how that works...

Also, if anyone thinks we can get a better coach than Tubby, you are dreaming. Let's hear some of the guys you would like to hire after we "blow it up."

Why watch? The way you see things would suggest that we'll be lucky to win another conference game in the next 5 years.

Is this really the level of discussion some fans are capable of? FromTheBarn suggests that the Gophers will be better in the next 1-2 years. I pointed out that fans of other teams in the conference certainly expect their teams to be better during that same time frame and have better recruits (on paper) coming in. The Gophers certainly have more to look forward to than Penn State, Nebraska, and Northwestern, so I certainly expect them to win conference games. Do I look at this team and think Tubby is likely to start going 11-7 or better in the conference and win some NCAA tournament games? No. I think 7-11 is more likely than 11-7 and I am not ok with that. I am not saying FromTheBarn is wrong in his opinion that the Gophers will be significantly better, just that I personally find it unlikely given what I have seen both on the court and in recruiting. It's entirely possible to come to different conclusions when looking at the same evidence.

Top Bottom