Post game thoughts

My point wasn't to say he's done a good job in conference games. The point was that you are saying he doesn't understand the importance of our rivalry games, but by the numbers, he's been better against our two main rivals than the others.

I don't know how this proves anything or helps your argument. You could also say that Jordan Taylor won that game for Wisconsin yesterday. Either way, it doesn't change the fact that we are 9-6 against our rivals under Tubby.

By these comments then, I'm assuming you attended all practices and meetings leading up to the Iowa and Minnesota games, correct?

I didn't realize that successful coaches must yell and scream all day long. Also didn't realize that a coach's demeanor has such an affect on the crowd.

I'm assuming than you never attended a game at Williams when Clem was coaching. If you had your statement of the coach's demeaner affecting the game is pure conjecture on your part. You can go back into the archives of the Strib and see an article on Salem leading up to the Iowa game. My good friend Duane Blaska was a QB for the Gophers during the Warmath era he said Warmath always had something going during the week of the Iowa and Wisconsin games. Monkey see, monkey do, as Salem played under Warmath. One of the first football lunches at the Normandy when Holtz came in he had recruited a DL from Modovi, Wis by the name of Trent Trip. If memory serves me correct he said one of the first things he had Trip do when he was a freshman was sing the "Rouser". This year Tubby is 0-3 against the rivals. I seriously doubt they will beat Wisconsin in Madison later this winter....0-4

In Hoiberg's 1st year the team was 16-16 overall and 3-13 in the conference. Tubby had 20 wins in his first year and was 8-10 in the conference.

Facts suck.

Facts don't suck. He got more done. He recruited and got transfers in his first year, no??? Look at his recruits for next year. Look at his plan. He has one. Kill did more in year one than most coaches too and only won 3 games. It is about setting up a program to succeed. 20 wins??? If winning 13 NC games and 7 Big Ten games makes you happy...go for it. At least you have you facts.

I'm assuming than you never attended a game at Williams when Clem was coaching. If you had your statement of the coach's demeaner affecting the game is pure conjecture on your part. You can go back into the archives of the Strib and see an article on Salem leading up to the Iowa game. My good friend Duane Blaska was a QB for the Gophers during the Warmath era he said Warmath always had something going during the week of the Iowa and Wisconsin games. Monkey see, monkey do, as Salem played under Warmath. One of the first football lunches at the Normandy when Holtz came in he had recruited a DL from Modovi, Wis by the name of Trent Trip. If memory serves me correct he said one of the first things he had Trip do when he was a freshman was sing the "Rouser". This year Tubby is 0-3 against the rivals. I seriously doubt they will beat Wisconsin in Madison later this winter....0-4

I gotta agree with Ruppert here- the passion of the coach - on and off the court affects the crowd and the fan base. Saw it with Mussy and also with Clem. Dutcher not as much but he was a very good recruiter and showed his passion that way.

I gotta agree with Ruppert here- the passion of the coach - on and off the court affects the crowd and the fan base. Saw it with Mussy and also with Clem. Dutcher not as much but he was a very good recruiter and showed his passion that way.
C'mon bga, you can't have it both ways. I know what you're saying, but Dutcher showing his passion by recruiting skills? You have to admit, that's a stretch.

They may win but to be a fan of that team and style would almost be as bad as being a Gopher fan.Taking good shots is one thing but milking the clock all game long.Badger grit and basketball iq is flat out bad for the Big Ten.The perception of the Badgers nationwide is well earned.Bet half the country thinks Dick Bennet and Bo are the same guy.There style dictates they sell the arena and party campus to their recruits because what kid who likes to play would like that so called system?Flex offense?I call it 35 seconds and shoot a three.

It's not as bad as being a Gopher fan. Trust me. It's been fun watching Wisconsin play in the 3rd round 4 times in the last 9 seasons. It would be nice if the could make the Final Four once, but I'm a '93 grad. I'm thrilled with where the program is compared to what Yoder was doing when I was there (i.e. 12 wins total most years).

As far as Wisconsin basketball being bad for the big 10.......I don't know why you would say that. What does national perception matter? Who cares what ESPN thinks of Wisconsin?

As far as your take on the offense, I would tend to agree. Over the last 3 seasons, it's been pretty much pass the ball and have Hughes or Taylor jack a 3 a lot of the time. When Ryan had Devin Harris, they ran the offense the way it is designed to be run. Mainly because Harris would abuse anyone trying to guard him on the block. Wisconsin hasn't had a good post-up guard since Harris, so the swing (not the flex) hasn't been run the way it is designed to be run. Now, that's almost certainly Ryan's fault for not getting a guard in there that can do it. I'm hoping Bronson Koenig can be that guy, but that's 2 years away.

Anyway, good luck the rest of the way except 2/28.

C'mon bga, you can't have it both ways. I know what you're saying, but Dutcher showing his passion by recruiting skills? You have to admit, that's a stretch.

You are right- it is. I guess what I meant is that Dutch got enough performance and horsepower in here to overcome his bland approach. But point well taken Rayfan.

You are right- it is. I guess what I meant is that Dutch got enough performance and horsepower in here to overcome his bland approach. But point well taken Rayfan.

Well bga1, if you look at Tubby's body actions during the game Dutcher is "Rasputan" compared to Tubby. I saw Dutch get a "T " in Ames, Iowa when Iowa State was beating on Randy Bruer and refs were looking the other way. On a side note, the Iowa State coach was Johnny Orr, who had coached at Michigan previously. He looked like a giant tom turkey. When he came out on the floor the band played the theme to the Tonight Show and everybody hollared "Here's Johnny" !! Damn I loved those road games when I was traveling.

A few things. I think the Barn desperately wants to come back to the days when it was one of the loudest, craziest arenas in college basketball. Definitely saw glimpses of that over the 13-0 run to tie the game and send it into overtime. What I saw, and was blatantly obvious was that those classic Wisconsin boys out muscled and out basketball IQ'd the Gophers. They dove on every loose ball, managed to get offensive rebounds and second chance points, and like someone mentioned used head fakes to their advantage over and over again forcing our "amazing" shot blocking team into the air, and out of place to play defense. A basketball mind must tell his guys, even the shot blockers to stay on the floor and use choppy steps to close out on the defender whilst keeping your hand in the face or above the ball of the shooter. Their players make free throws and take advantage of second chance opportunities - good players. Anyway, what I saw from Andre Hollins was a glimmer of hope, and also a slap in the face. The fact that a true freshman is the player that is the one stepping up in the biggest moments is both a.) promising for the kid and b.) pathetic for the rest of team of older players, particularly Sampson. I thought Rodney played well, and maybe even should have got the call at the end of reg for a drive/drive and dish or something of that matter. He was the only finishing close range lay ups against those less athletic Wisconsin trees down low. We HAD all of the momentum going into to overtime, but we still DONT know what our identity is. We just seem to not trust ourselves or something. Like oh we managed to get OT, time for a let down cause we dont believe in ourselves. At home, in OT, against arch-rival on ESPN, and you can't muster up Cajones to Win, or even keep the game close in OT. Just unsettling. That being said, I gave up on the team after Mbakwe went down, only to come back after they performed well, then to beat Indiana I actually had a pulse. But it just shows me we are still a long ways away. But I do think the future is bright, and hopefully Tubby can bring in some good talent that stays. We only lose Soft Ralphie, and potentially get Trevor back.

Anyway, what I saw from Andre Hollins was a glimmer of hope, and also a slap in the face. The fact that a true freshman is the player that is the one stepping up in the biggest moments is both a.) promising for the kid and b.) pathetic for the rest of team of older players, particularly Sampson.

Check out the quote from Judd's ESPN1500 article last night:

"It was a learning experience for us," said Gophers freshmen guard Andre Hollins, who came off the bench to score a team-high 20 points. "I don't think this was a down game for us. It shows what we can do."

I have a feeling Hollins was describing the team, but also describing his own game when he said that.

Wisconsin did a nice job of getting a hand in Chip's periphery if not his face...They closed him down nicely and consequently, he had a poor shooting night at 1 for 6.

Wisconsin did a nice job of getting a hand in Chip's periphery if not his face...They closed him down nicely and consequently, he had a poor shooting night at 1 for 6.

He tweeted something too that he was feeling sick. Something like this sickness is getting the best of me.

Check out the quote from Judd's ESPN1500 article last night:

"It was a learning experience for us," said Gophers freshmen guard Andre Hollins, who came off the bench to score a team-high 20 points. "I don't think this was a down game for us. It shows what we can do."

I have a feeling Hollins was describing the team, but also describing his own game when he said that.

Agreed. You can definitley see that he is starting to pick up the speed of the game. People I think sometimes don't understand what an adjustment that is. Double Teams come quicker, dribble moves are faster, steals happen quicker. Where you had 2 seconds to kick out of a double team in high school, now you have a half second. That takes some adjusting. It's good to see him starting to get there.

One thing I am really looking forward to is Oto getting used to the speed of the game. There was one time he got open but he wasn't expecting the pass as quickly as he got it. If this guy adjusts to the speed, he will score a lot of points.

minngg said:
Facts don't suck. He got more done. He recruited and got transfers in his first year, no??? Look at his recruits for next year. Look at his plan. He has one. Kill did more in year one than most coaches too and only won 3 games. It is about setting up a program to succeed. 20 wins??? If winning 13 NC games and 7 Big Ten games makes you happy...go for it. At least you have you facts.
Hey a loss and minngg the "Tubby Hater" shows up. When they win he is never around.

For as pathetic as the Gophers played the middle 20 minutes of this game, the last 7:40 (and subsequent 13-0 run) was great. That said, I told the guys I was sitting with that if the Gophs couldn't close the deal in regulation, overtime would go exactly how it went.
>>>
That is something that doesn't seem to be limited to the Gophs. Seems like any team that makes a great run to come from way behind, always gets beat if they don't go ahead and keep the run going til they're ahead. It's almost like if they make the run and don't carry it through, all the emotion drains away.

The Guess Who On The Cover of the Star Tribune Sports Section This Morning

Soft as a DQ soft-serve cone
3+ year totally wasted potential
Shouldn't be playing....period
Shooting 3's? WTF? He's in the game to shoot 3's?
Puts ball on the floor = automatic turnover/steal
Aggressive is not a word in his vocabulary
No improvement since his freshman year. None. Zero. Zip.
Hustle?
Runs the floor?
Scraps for balls on the floor? Very seldom.
Puts a body on someone?.....or just anyone near the basket?
Leaping ability?
Basketball smart?

I could continue on this above list. Give the underclassmen the playing time. This guy really, really thought about entering the NBA draft after last season? His playing time the rest of the way should be very, very, very limited. Tubby needs to swallow his pride (his recruit who has not worked out) and more on without him.

Top Bottom