Post-Game Reaction Thread

To me so much of this game comes back to the decisions made to end the first half. Multiple times during this streak of Wisconsin wins over Minnesota, the Gophers have had a lead and gotten too conservative. Today was an extreme example of a team just trying not to screw up, when the focus should have been on scoring 7 before the half and pushing the lead to 14. The fumble was bad enough, but to see the defense completely collapse to give up a fg was ridiculous. With as strong as the Gophers started, they gave up all that momentum going in to the half.

The CB's really let us down today. I know that some are pointing to the pass rush, but Boddy-Calhoun and especially Eric Murray got beat way too often. We absolutely needed Murray/Calhoun to win one on ones outside and Erickson beat both of them. Myrick and or the safety killed us on the 70 yarder in the first half as well. That seemed like a blown coverage and there's been too many of those in recent games.

The call on Tommy Olson really hurt. No replay that was shown showed anything close to a penalty. The Gophers get a TD there instead of a FG and maybe things play out differently.

The passing game has to improve by leaps and bounds. The pass to Williams for 53 yards was about as easy as it gets. I am pretty confident that the vast majority of GopherHole posters could make that throw. Aside from that one play, Leidner was 4/17 for 42 yards. It's not all on Leidner, we need to have a more diverse passing game and better threats. The fumbled punt really made our offense look better than it was on the scoreboard. At times it felt hopeless in the second half, and that wasn't because of Wisconsin's D...it was our offense that just looked anemic.

I felt like the defense wore down under the pressure of the Gophers being unable to score, but they did enough to win. The stop to start the second half was huge, as was the stop when Wisconsin had the ball up 20-17. The offense absolutely had to take the ball and drive for a TD after one of those stops...and it did nothing.

Hats off to Cobb and Botticelli who both played great today. I am sure I speak for most fans when I say I'll miss the hell out of those guys.

Do you know anything about football? or maybe you should stick to hockey!! The Badger passing game works because there run game is so good. The db's had to stop the run today the FRONT 7 wasnt getting it done! Top 3 tacklers Thompson 12 tackles 9 solo...Travis 10...Muuray 8tackles 7 solo. what are yiour LB's on scholarship to do?

Cedric Thompson had a great game too. Think he will be missed for his leadership on and off the field.

Really liked Cedrick Thompson today. Kid was making plays all over the field. It was really weird how the momentum just totally shifted. Sadly it seemed to have switched right after Leidner scrambled for the first and was called back on the bad call. After that play it seems we were an entirely different team. Wisconsin drove on down the field and it just seemed all downhill from there.

Most disappointing has to be Leidner. Damn he was bad. I dont understand how we cant get anyone that can throw the ball better than him. Hes like a bad running back playing quarterback. I dont understand how a guy playing for a d1 team is this terrible at throwing the football. Its one thing to have bad games, its another when you overthrow every receiver and your struggling throwing screen or little five yard throws. Its just unacceptable. How do we not have a more competent quarterback. It just doesnt make any sense.

IMHO finding a good passing (doesn't have to be great, but at least reliable) QB might be difficult when you are known to have a run first/ball control type offense.

one way to put it for me: talk about a tale of two halves. bummed for sure, but still very proud of our boys and expect them to be ready to go for our bowl game.

that said, one thing that really pissed me off, and still does and will, was that absolutely B.S. illegal hands to the face phantom call the refs pulled out of their ass on tommy olson when we had just ran the ball to their 4 or 5 yard line and would have been a first down & goal and feel pretty confident that we would have punched it in from there and gone up 21-3, instead of just 17-3. just feel that terribly weak call by the refs killed the amazing momentum we had going and changed the way the game would have played out. those 4 points kept coming back into play throughout the rest of the game and how it was approached. perhaps not, but that is my feeling.

i have always hated that witvoght (sp) head ref guy and his crew. swear he and his crews have come up with more b.s. calls against the Gophers over the years than any other B1G crew i have watched. have wanted to do an "illegal hands to the face" to his stupid mug for a long, long time.

This, plus the first down reception by Fruechte 2nd half that somehow turned into a 3rd & 1 that they stuffed. Those calls killed us, especially the one on Olson. We needed a fairly officiated game plus a couple of bounces. We got the latter, only. Tough to take.

No, no no and no. If you watched the game you saw a team that position for positio n was every bit as good. In fact our offensive and defensive lines are better, its tough playing against a solid team when they know they can put 9 in the box and dare you to throw it. In fact they hope you do throw it. At one point Mitch had 37 yards passing. 37 Freaking yards in the 4th quarter. That is our problem. If we have Ohio States 3rd string QB in there today we win.

Which game were you watching? Our defensive line rarely got close to Stave and that has been a problem all year. Our offensive line was OK but it didn't prevent their defensive line from applying a lot of pressure on Leidner.

As far as Leidner, no one could argue against the statement that he isn't a good enough passer yet. I think he was only 5-13 when the Gophers scored their last touchdown and two of his completions were on that drive. But Leidner does provide pretty decent leadership and few quarterbacks in the league provide as much productivity with their feet. I have doubts that the Gophers would be better with a quarterback like Jake Rudock or Wes Lunt. If Leidner could average 17 passes a game while hitting 9 of them next year that just might be enough to be a pretty good team. I don't think that target is beyond his reach.

Yes a couple of bad calls, but Wisconsin still the better team at this stage. First time all year I thought our staff was out coached. Move on boys. The sun will rise tomorrow and we can hope we don't get jumped by Nebraska in the Bowl picks

Regarding bad calls, really good teams overcome those. What was so disheartening is jumping out to a 14-3 lead and dominating them and not being able to finish them off when we had the opportunity. I really don't think Cobb was himself, he gave a yeoman's effort though. But I didn't see any fire, emotion, or leadership out of anyone on the offense. No one to fire up the troops.

Yes a couple of bad calls, but Wisconsin still the better team at this stage. First time all year I thought our staff was out coached. Move on boys. The sun will rise tomorrow and we can hope we don't get jumped by Nebraska in the Bowl picks

+++ one of the best posts on this thread for sure.

IMHO finding a good passing (doesn't have to be great, but at least reliable) QB might be difficult when you are known to have a run first/ball control type offense.

Wasn't a prob for sconnie bringing in Russ Wilson. If you've got a team built to win now (which we do for next year imo) then you just have to reach out to those that see the opportunity. I hope the staff has the balls to do that for two reasons. One to help us win and make our qbs the best they can be next year. And two to show that you can't get complacent in your job and that this staff will target talent if they think it can better the roster even if it upsets an upperclassmen

Here's hoping that our QB improves dramatically and some of the redshirt WRs can be difference makers because our current WRs are pretty weak. We do not have a deep threat and when your TE has to be counted on to be your go to guy always that is a major problem. We need a big WR that can go up and get the ball - even if the pass is not spot on, and a consistent deep threat. We currently have neither playing (redshirts maybe?) and that coupled with a QB that is very inaccurate puts your passing game in a major hole.

Hopefully they can catch balls thrown 4 yards in front of them.

Wasn't a prob for sconnie bringing in Russ Wilson. If you've got a team built to win now (which we do for next year imo) then you just have to reach out to those that see the opportunity. I hope the staff has the balls to do that for two reasons. One to help us win and make our qbs the best they can be next year. And two to show that you can't get complacent in your job and that this staff will target talent if they think it can better the roster even if it upsets an upperclassmen

And how many Russell Wilsons do you think there are? An upperclassman (graduate) backup who is really good, can learn a system in one year, and hasn't been identified by bigger higher profile schools. You make it sound so easy, "just go get one of these guys".

Needed a TD at 14-3. Said it live. Gotta go for the Kill there. Took Cobb out, Leidner missed 2 reads on the option, and an unfortunate call. Game changed right there. In my opinion, that was the biggest series of this game. Gotta sense the moment, know who you're playing and where you're playing. Gives offense confidence and mentality too.

I agree with this 100%. That, and that stupid Fruechte sweep made an appearance again. So maddening.

Wisconsin got Russell Wilson to there ball control offense. Look how that turned out for them?

one way to put it for me: talk about a tale of two halves. bummed for sure, but still very proud of our boys and expect them to be ready to go for our bowl game.

that said, one thing that really pissed me off, and still does and will, was that absolutely B.S. illegal hands to the face phantom call the refs pulled out of their ass on tommy olson when we had just ran the ball to their 4 or 5 yard line and would have been a first down & goal and feel pretty confident that we would have punched it in from there and gone up 21-3, instead of just 17-3. just feel that terribly weak call by the refs killed the amazing momentum we had going and changed the way the game would have played out. those 4 points kept coming back into play throughout the rest of the game and how it was approached. perhaps not, but that is my feeling.

i have always hated that dave witvoet head ref guy and his crew. swear he and his crews have come up with more b.s. calls against the Gophers over the years than any other B1G crew i have ever watched. have wanted to do an "illegal hands to the face" to his stupid mug for a long, long time.

dave witvoet The Ed Hightower of refs?: http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/09/dave_witvoet_the_ultimate_in_b.html

I'll have to disagree that Dave Witvoet has screwed the Gophers the most. They won all three of these games, but Dan Capron's crew has royally screwed the Gophers on three occasions: MSU on Halloween 09, at NW last year (back judge called a pick from 20 yards downfield even though side judge right in front of it did nothing, wiping out long TD pass to Fruechte) and NW this year (late hit on BBC, unsportsmanlike on Kill).

Just to put some context. The most points that any team scored on Wisconsin this year was 28. The second most? 24. Our offense did fine in the scoring category. Where I think they hurt us was not eating up the clock. Wisconsin had the ball for 5.5 minutes more than we. That meant our defense was on the field a lot more. By the end they looked worn out and couldn't make a stop when they needed to. Some of that is also on the defense…make a stop and get off the field. Wisconsin was 5-12 in 3rd downs. That hurts.

We are the 4th best team in the B1G…out of 14 teams. Where were we when Kill took over? In 2010 we were 3-9, 10th of 11 in the B1G…with Nebraska 10-4 in 2010, Maryland 9-4 in 2010, Rutger's 4-8 in 2010. It could be argued that we were 13th of today's 14 teams. That is an awful lot of improvement and we are not playing with big time 4-star recruited seniors. We are getting better recruits each year, imagine where we will be in a couple years. It isn't unrealistic to expect to be back in the championship game next year and in years following. It isn't unrealistic to think about being B1G champions in the 7 years Kill said it would take. With a few lucky bounces, we might be there earlier. It is amazing we came so close this year.

I salute the entire team, QB included. They all played their hearts out all year and I personally had a blast watching these games.

Just to put some context. The most points that any team scored on Wisconsin this year was 28. The second most? 24. Our offense did fine in the scoring category. Where I think they hurt us was not eating up the clock. Wisconsin had the ball for 5.5 minutes more than we. That meant our defense was on the field a lot more. By the end they looked worn out and couldn't make a stop when they needed to. Some of that is also on the defense…make a stop and get off the field. Wisconsin was 5-12 in 3rd downs. That hurts.

We are the 4th best team in the B1G…out of 14 teams. Where were we when Kill took over? In 2010 we were 3-9, 10th of 11 in the B1G…with Nebraska 10-4 in 2010, Maryland 9-4 in 2010, Rutger's 4-8 in 2010. It could be argued that we were 13th of today's 14 teams. That is an awful lot of improvement and we are not playing with big time 4-star recruited seniors. We are getting better recruits each year, imagine where we will be in a couple years. It isn't unrealistic to expect to be back in the championship game next year and in years following. It isn't unrealistic to think about being B1G champions in the 7 years Kill said it would take. With a few lucky bounces, we might be there earlier. It is amazing we came so close this year.

I salute the entire team, QB included. They all played their hearts out all year and I personally had a blast watching these games.

Nice post - and dead on.

-Allowing Wisconsin to go on a 23-0 run just isn't acceptable, under ANY circumstances
-Cobb and Botticelli worked their butts off today. Kudos to them.
-Getting THIS close to playing a Barrett-less Ohio State team for the B1G Championship hurts. It hurts alot!
-Honestly, I've seen elementary school kids throw a nicer ball than Leidner. He absolutely cannot be starting next season.
-Our defense is very overrated.
-Love KJ Maye and Maxx Williams. Wish we had a QB to get them the ball.
-Terrible game management
-Ugh, why does Wisconsin have to be better than us in almost every sport?
-Can't wait for the Bowl game! Hopefully we get an exciting matchup.
-Overall, this has been an awesome season for the Gophers. They've taken another step forward.

Welcome to Golden Gopher Football

And how many Russell Wilsons do you think there are? An upperclassman (graduate) backup who is really good, can learn a system in one year, and hasn't been identified by bigger higher profile schools. You make it sound so easy, "just go get one of these guys".

Did I say he was available? I'm just saying that the offense shouldn't be a detriment if you're built to win and can offer a great starting job and I hope they at least explore the option

Good post but the part in bold was a little deceiving. The first TD could be credited to Special Teams. The fumble meant that the total drive consumed 13 yards, 10 of which came on Leidner's TD run. The second TD came on a one-play drive, Cobb's 40 yard TD run. They got one FG and a TD the rest of the way. Something that does tie-in to your observance of how inefficient the Offense was for most of the game.

Overall, yeah, it has been a good season. The major frustration is the same one from last year. A decent Passing Game, lasting more that a Quarter or two, and solid pressure defensively on the QB produces a couple more wins, against Illinois and WI. Thats what hurts the most.

The lack of pressure on Defense can be laid at the feet of the terrible string of injuries on Defense. Part of the game, but a killer here.

The horrible lapses of the Passing Game are much worse. That lays at the feet of the Coaching Staff. Shortell, Nelson and Leidner, none of them showed any reason to think that they could consistently lead a team to victory against BCS (Big 5) teams. That's on recruiting or coaching. Take your pick.

Now they need to win what's gonna be a good Bowl Game and develop a decent to average to good Passing Game. A Bowl Game win will make it a very good season.

If they lose, may the gods forbid, that Bowl Game they will end the season 5-5 against BCS teams.

That takes a right back to the Mason years. Thankfully WAY past the Brewster years, but back to the middle of the pack.

The peices aren't all in place yet. Keep building, keep believing, keep battling...

The team has had a hell of a year and still have a good chance to win 9 games in a good bowl. This team is far outperforming their recruiting rankings. To ask for more at this point is to have delusions of grandeur. The team is getting better. We had to have an above average game against Wisky, on the road, with a bad outing by Stave to get a win and that didn't happen.

- played great against run, but wore down in 4th quarter.
- Stave made some great reads and generally had very good accuracy. We let him sit back there but it was a matter of pick your poison and Stave performed. That simple.
- Cobb was a step off and a step slow but still had a decent game. He clearly slowed as the game wore on. A healthy Cobb may have been the difference last night.
- as others said, the two minute drill was atrocious as it has been throughout Kill's tenure. That has to change. Underdog on the road- go for broke and see what your guys can do! The call...clearly looking for something to call. The play was essentially over when the incidental contact happened.
- Kirkwood still just a battering ram. The gap between he and Cobb enormous. Coaches clearly don't trust or like Williams Jr.
- Gordon is a man amongst boys and they contained him well enough to win. Wisconsin will suffer a little next year. Clement good but not in same league. D was tired 4th qtr.
- Bad Mitch showed up but he was under duress most of the game. He had to rush most of the play action passes. He doesn't play well, at all, if he doesn't have time to set his feet. That said...
- We need receivers. Maye is good enough. Jones is not a natural receiver and may never be. His body language is poor-disgruntled? Woli, Maye, froshes need to step up and push Jones.

This game could have gone either way. We are good enough to compete and win. Gordon's presence drastically altered the defensive scheme. Next year will be a different story.

The team has had a hell of a year and still have a good chance to win 9 games in a good bowl. This team is far outperforming their recruiting rankings. To ask for more at this point is to have delusions of grandeur. The team is getting better. We had to have an above average game against Wisky, on the road, with a bad outing by Stave to get a win and that didn't happen.

- played great against run, but wore down in 4th quarter.
- Stave made some great reads and generally had very good accuracy. We let him sit back there but it was a matter of pick your poison and Stave performed. That simple.
- Cobb was a step off and a step slow but still had a decent game. He clearly slowed as the game wore on. A healthy Cobb may have been the difference last night.
- as others said, the two minute drill was atrocious as it has been throughout Kill's tenure. That has to change. Underdog on the road- go for broke and see what your guys can do! The call...clearly looking for something to call. The play was essentially over when the incidental contact happened.
- Kirkwood still just a battering ram. The gap between he and Cobb enormous. Coaches clearly don't trust or like Williams Jr.
- Gordon is a man amongst boys and they contained him well enough to win. Wisconsin will suffer a little next year. Clement good but not in same league. D was tired 4th qtr.
- Bad Mitch showed up but he was under duress most of the game. He had to rush most of the play action passes. He doesn't play well, at all, if he doesn't have time to set his feet. That said...
- We need receivers. Maye is good enough. Jones is not a natural receiver and may never be. His body language is poor-disgruntled? Woli, Maye, froshes need to step up and push Jones.

This game could have gone either way. We are good enough to compete and win. Gordon's presence drastically altered the defensive scheme. Next year will be a different story.

To hope for a decent passing game and a better record than 5-4 against other Big 5 teams "is to have delusions of grandeur"?

Hyperbole or are your standards that low?

We're outperforming in some areas, underperforming in others. To put all the blame on Mitch is unfair. We have issues at o-line and WR but if you're looking to crucify Mitch last night's game gives you some ammunition. He had some awful throws but that's what happens when you're under pressure. He had some drops.

Is he great? No. But it's a team game and some refuse to acknowledge that. As others have said we've had a run of bad QB play. What are the real issues? Do you really believe Nelson or Leidner can't complete an 8 yd pass?

I don't have low standards but things are what they are. You need to accept it or you're going to burn out on this. I think this is a hell of a team and they've been getting better. I'm excited about next year. How about you?

While the game represented a disappointment, it's hard not to argue this team is way better than it was a year ago at this time.

With that said, there are big improvements that need to be made. The quarterback situation is not good; that's a big-time obstacle to overcome. Leidner is good enough to beat bad-to-mediocre teams but isn't even close when it comes to getting it done against big-time competition. Defensively, it looks like the guys got worn out by the consistent poor play from the offense and just ran out of gas. Leidner isn't the only issue in the passing game as we legitimately have only one real threat in Maxx Williams. Maxx is one of the very best tight-ends in the country, but he's got to have help. Defensively, the squad is solid enough, even if the secondary looked pretty awful yesterday.

Get better play from the quarterback and wideout positions and you have the makings of a really good football team. Right now, they're pretty good. But if those spots can come around some time in the future, the team will go from pretty good to really good.

We're outperforming in some areas, underperforming in others. To put all the blame on Mitch is unfair. We have issues at o-line and WR but if you're looking to crucify Mitch last night's game gives you some ammunition. He had some awful throws but that's what happens when you're under pressure. He had some drops.

Is he great? No. But it's a team game and some refuse to acknowledge that. As others have said we've had a run of bad QB play. What are the real issues? Do you really believe Nelson or Leidner can't complete an 8 yd pass?

I don't have low standards but things are what they are. You need to accept it or you're going to burn out on this. I think this is a hell of a team and they've been getting better. I'm excited about next year. How about you?

Can't blame the losses to the Illini or WI on the Defense or Special Teams. It's on the Passing Game. When Mitch has a great Quarter throwing the ball, none of the rabid "YOU CAN'T BLAME MITCH!" defenders give credit to the OL or Receivers, they praise Mitch. When things go bad it's all about mostly phantom "drops" or lousy protection. So spare us from your "can't blame Mitch"rants. They sound a little hollow.

Not as hollow as the "SEE IT'S ALL ON MITCH" posters who are still hoping for a Nelson comeback, but hollow none the less.

A good QB can overcome the other deficiencies in the Passing Game, a bad one can't. I blamed the Coaching Staff for the failure to either yet recruit a good QB or "coach-up" any of the ones they've had so far. Mitch wasn't even recruited to be a QB, was he? That's on the coaches, not the QB.

As for standards" I'm looking forward to a Bowl Game victory. That's will mean that they finish 6-4 against BCS/Big 5 teams rather than 5-5. Now that would be a big step-up and make for a very good season. Here's to a "good Mitch" showing in that game.

You're already looking forward to "next year". Setting-up a Bowl game loss huh?

Yeah, hate to have any "delusions of grandeur."

Wow. You're clearly still agitated so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you're not giving Mitch.

When you're ready to look at things with a clear head I'll debate. Otherwise, there are the Vikes forums for fans like you.

Totally agree. Got out coached in 2nd half. By the way, why in the world would you run 2x in a row w 4 min left in game and down by 10??? Terrible game mgmt!!!!

Top Bottom