Post-Game Reaction Thread

We still need to get bigger and stronger on the defensive line, especially against the massive Badger O line. They dominated us on the ground and we got zero pressure against an awful QB like Stave.

Credit their O-line but thought our tackling was a bit poor at times and didn't like the decision to punt when two scores down and under 4 mins left. Hope Mitch can improve accuracy before next season but...

...still massively proud of our team and the strides they have made, hoping for a bowl win - deserve to end a good season for us on a high note.

one way to put it for me: talk about a tale of two halves. bummed for sure, but still very proud of our boys and expect them to be ready to go for our bowl game.

that said, one thing that really pissed me off, and still does and will, was that absolutely B.S. illegal hands to the face phantom call the refs pulled out of their ass on tommy olson when we had just ran the ball to their 4 or 5 yard line and would have been a first down & goal and feel pretty confident that we would have punched it in from there and gone up 21-3, instead of just 17-3. just feel that terribly weak call by the refs killed the amazing momentum we had going and changed the way the game would have played out. those 4 points kept coming back into play throughout the rest of the game and how it was approached. perhaps not, but that is my feeling.

i have always hated that dave witvoet head ref guy and his crew. swear he and his crews have come up with more b.s. calls against the Gophers over the years than any other B1G crew i have ever watched. have wanted to do an "illegal hands to the face" to his stupid mug for a long, long time.

Until we get there. Man for man, Wisconsin is just a little better right now. We r close defensively, but we still have a LONG way to go offensively. We were 14 point dogs for a reason and to be sitting there 27-24 in the 4th with the Big10 title game on the line in the final game of the season shows how far we have come.

We r very close.....and really need to improve at the QB position in the off season.
r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, no no and no. If you watched the game you saw a team that position for positio n was every bit as good. In fact our offensive and defensive lines are better, its tough playing against a solid team when they know they can put 9 in the box and dare you to throw it. In fact they hope you do throw it. At one point Mitch had 37 yards passing. 37 Freaking yards in the 4th quarter. That is our problem. If we have Ohio States 3rd string QB in there today we win.

We had a hell of a season. We have a bright future. Time to pony up some $ to improve our craptacular facilities and see where this coaching staff can bring us.

Never too high, never too low.

Brick by brick.

one way to put it for me: talk about a tale of two halves. bummed for sure, but still very proud of our boys and expect them to be ready to go for our bowl game.

that said, one thing that really pissed me off, and still does and will, was that absolutely B.S. illegal hands to the face phantom call the refs pulled out of their ass on tommy olson when we had just ran the ball to their 4 or 5 yard line and would have been a first down & goal and feel pretty confident that we would have punched it in from there and gone up 21-3, instead of just 17-3. just feel that terribly weak call by the refs killed the amazing momentum we had going and changed the way the game would have played out. those 4 points kept coming back into play throughout the rest of the game and how it was approached. perhaps not, but that is my feeling.

i have always hated that witvoght (sp) head ref guy and his crew. swear he and his crews have come up with more b.s. calls against the Gophers over the years than any other B1G crew i have watched. have wanted to do an "illegal hands to the face" to his stupid mug for a long, long time.

That call was huge AND phantom. It's a call you only make if you're looking to call a penalty. No telling how the game goes if he keeps the flag where it belongs.

Needed a TD at 14-3. Said it live. Gotta go for the Kill there. Took Cobb out, Leidner missed 2 reads on the option, and an unfortunate call. Game changed right there. In my opinion, that was the biggest series of this game. Gotta sense the moment, know who you're playing and where you're playing. Gives offense confidence and mentality too.

No, no no and no. If you watched the game you saw a team that position for positio n was every bit as good. In fact our offensive and defensive lines are better, its tough playing against a solid team when they know they can put 9 in the box and dare you to throw it. In fact they hope you do throw it. At one point Mitch had 37 yards passing. 37 Freaking yards in the 4th quarter. That is our problem. If we have Ohio States 3rd string QB in there today we win.

No, no no and no.

Needed a TD at 14-3. Said it live. Gotta go for the Kill there. Took Cobb out, Leidner missed 2 reads on the option, and an unfortunate call. Game changed right there. In my opinion, that was the biggest series of this game. Gotta sense the moment, know who you're playing and where you're playing. Gives offense confidence and mentality too.

my perspective is it is hard to put that series ending in 3 instead of 7 on any of our boys. imo, they really just got royally jobbed and unfairly backed up 15 yards when no question they should have it at their 3 or 4 yard line and a first down.

Need a consistent passing game in order to rise to the next level.
Here's hoping that our QB improves dramatically and some of the redshirt WRs can be difference makers because our current WRs are pretty weak. We do not have a deep threat and when your TE has to be counted on to be your go to guy always that is a major problem. We need a big WR that can go up and get the ball - even if the pass is not spot on, and a consistent deep threat. We currently have neither playing (redshirts maybe?) and that coupled with a QB that is very inaccurate puts your passing game in a major hole.

Any chance we had to win the game was lost at the end of the first half, when the obvious fear we had was shown in the ridiculously safe play calling, admitting you would rather settle for a 48 yard FG rather than attack downfield with passes. Why we had this attitude I have no idea, because we largely dominated both lines of scrimmage in the first half. This sequence changed the entire mentality of the game. It's like Wisconsin could sense the fear, because they pounced on us and never looked back.

To me so much of this game comes back to the decisions made to end the first half. Multiple times during this streak of Wisconsin wins over Minnesota, the Gophers have had a lead and gotten too conservative. Today was an extreme example of a team just trying not to screw up, when the focus should have been on scoring 7 before the half and pushing the lead to 14. The fumble was bad enough, but to see the defense completely collapse to give up a fg was ridiculous. With as strong as the Gophers started, they gave up all that momentum going in to the half.

The CB's really let us down today. I know that some are pointing to the pass rush, but Boddy-Calhoun and especially Eric Murray got beat way too often. We absolutely needed Murray/Calhoun to win one on ones outside and Erickson beat both of them. Myrick and or the safety killed us on the 70 yarder in the first half as well. That seemed like a blown coverage and there's been too many of those in recent games.

The call on Tommy Olson really hurt. No replay that was shown showed anything close to a penalty. The Gophers get a TD there instead of a FG and maybe things play out differently.

The passing game has to improve by leaps and bounds. The pass to Williams for 53 yards was about as easy as it gets. I am pretty confident that the vast majority of GopherHole posters could make that throw. Aside from that one play, Leidner was 4/17 for 42 yards. It's not all on Leidner, we need to have a more diverse passing game and better threats. The fumbled punt really made our offense look better than it was on the scoreboard. At times it felt hopeless in the second half, and that wasn't because of Wisconsin's D...it was our offense that just looked anemic.

I felt like the defense wore down under the pressure of the Gophers being unable to score, but they did enough to win. The stop to start the second half was huge, as was the stop when Wisconsin had the ball up 20-17. The offense absolutely had to take the ball and drive for a TD after one of those stops...and it did nothing.

Hats off to Cobb and Botticelli who both played great today. I am sure I speak for most fans when I say I'll miss the hell out of those guys.

Really tough loss to take today. Leidner's inconsistency showed up again with some badly thrown balls and a fumble that really changed the momentum of the game. Our receivers didn't help Mitch out much either with some drops and they really seemed to have trouble creating space and getting open consistently. I thought our D-Line owned the trenches in the 1st half and really helped to control Gordon but that changed in the 2nd half as Wisconsin seemed to get a much better push although they got away with a whole lot of holding in the 2nd half. The pass rush was pretty much non-existent today and allowed Stave to be way too comfortable and not really force anything. Very disappointed in the coverage from the secondary today as they had really been the strength of the team all year but showed up as a weakness today. The hands to the face penalty on Olson was also HUGE and IMO a very weak call I think without that penalty we go up 21-3 and find a way to hold that lead. Some time to recover now and important to get a win in the bowl game and take another step forward.

Really tough loss to take today. Leidner's inconsistency showed up again with some badly thrown balls and a fumble that really changed the momentum of the game. Our receivers didn't help Mitch out much either with some drops and they really seemed to have trouble creating space and getting open consistently. I thought our D-Line owned the trenches in the 1st half and really helped to control Gordon but that changed in the 2nd half as Wisconsin seemed to get a much better push although they got away with a whole lot of holding in the 2nd half. The pass rush was pretty much non-existent today and allowed Stave to be way too comfortable and not really force anything. Very disappointed in the coverage from the secondary today as they had really been the strength of the team all year but showed up as a weakness today. The hands to the face penalty on Olson was also HUGE and IMO a very weak call I think without that penalty we go up 21-3 and find a way to hold that lead. Some time to recover now and important to get a win in the bowl game and take another step forward.

Even when we were up, I was telling my wife it looks bleak if Leidner continued to play this way. Bad QB play is just too hard to overcome, especially against a great opponent.

Offensive Scheme

Better team won.

We were out-schemed too. When the read option didn't get going, our genius in the booth rolled over and died.

I really thought Limegrover would adjust. Guess he wanted to go to the One Dimension Bowl?

Silver lining: Gordon didn't do in the Gophers.
Babypoop brown lining: Clement did.

Also, Myrick needs to grow up a ton. I get that you're frustrated, but he was throwing little girly slaps at the other team. Easily could have been an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I expect the Gophers to be in a position to win the West next year. Cobb is a huge loss, but if Jones is half as good as advertised, he could step right in. OL line depth is good. DL line gets a ton back, loses Botticelli, but regains Ekpe. LBs lose Wilson, but gain Poock and Rallis. Holland and Gentry get their chance. Maxx isn't going anywhere. And QB play can't get any worse.

For everyone ragging on the secondary, I personally thought they were fine. But when the opposing qb had 6 seconds on every drop back they can run double moves and they're going to be open. They blew one coverage and had a pair of rough PIs. Give stave credit. He was fifty tonnes the qb ours was today and that was the game

Also, Myrick needs to grow up a ton. I get that you're frustrated, but he was throwing little girly slaps at the other team. Easily could have been an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I expect the Gophers to be in a position to win the West next year. Cobb is a huge loss, but if Jones is half as good as advertised, he could step right in. OL line depth is good. DL line gets a ton back, loses Botticelli, but regains Ekpe. LBs lose Wilson, but gain Poock and Rallis. Holland and Gentry get their chance. Maxx isn't going anywhere. And QB play can't get any worse.

On myrick I disagree. At least he has done emotion when the team went flat. He wants to make a big play for us and no doubt he's getting chirped at. As long as he's not going over the top and knocking someone down they're never going to call a one armed shove

Agree with this sentiment. I like our chances to win the West next year as well. Hurting, but still proud, and always will be extremely proud, to be a Golden Gopher. Ski-U-Mah!

On your other point. I think we should be top 2 or 3 for our division. Nebraska and Wisconsin have HUGE questions at rb and wr for neb losing bell. Our secondary should be a no fly zone. Our d line was all young pups besides Botticelli (who was our best player today though) and our lb core will miss Wilson but we gained a lot of experience this year. On offense we should be rock solid up front and hopefully we have an outside that develop from one of the RS guys or from the likes of Edwards, Jones (either one), and rodrick. The future is bright. I personally hope the coaches give Mitch the ultimatum that his play improves or someone else is playing. Enough of saying he's our leader and guy. The results on the field are not enough and the coaches need to hold him accountable for once

On myrick I disagree. At least he has done emotion when the team went flat. He wants to make a big play for us and no doubt he's getting chirped at. As long as he's not going over the top and knocking someone down they're never going to call a one armed shove

Never? I've seen penalties called that involved zero contact. You can't do that.

Never? I've seen penalties called that involved zero contact. You can't do that.

He can and did and it wasn't called. It wasn't a penalty that will be called in that situation when the opposing player puts himself in your face to whoop at you

During postgame Mike Grimm said "well the quarterback play wasn't great"...that's an understatement

Really liked Cedrick Thompson today. Kid was making plays all over the field. It was really weird how the momentum just totally shifted. Sadly it seemed to have switched right after Leidner scrambled for the first and was called back on the bad call. After that play it seems we were an entirely different team. Wisconsin drove on down the field and it just seemed all downhill from there.

Most disappointing has to be Leidner. Damn he was bad. I dont understand how we cant get anyone that can throw the ball better than him. Hes like a bad running back playing quarterback. I dont understand how a guy playing for a d1 team is this terrible at throwing the football. Its one thing to have bad games, its another when you overthrow every receiver and your struggling throwing screen or little five yard throws. Its just unacceptable. How do we not have a more competent quarterback. It just doesnt make any sense.

Tough loss, Gophers, but at least you did better against your rival than my Trojans did. I agree with those who say your QB is the problem, especially against a team as good as Wisconsin is. Is that the best kid Minnesota can get to play QB? My folks are happy and sad today. Happy our Trojans beat ND, but sad the old "home team" still can't beat the UW.

We're a QB and three WRs away. We were the more physical team the first half; WI was more physical by far in the second half. Seemed like they were 2nd and 4 or less on every position in the second half.

The Olsen penalty proved to be huge.

The most disappointing drive for me was when we went up 17-3, forced WI to punt, then gave it right back to them. Not that a score would have ended the game, but if you go up 24-3 and take time off the clock, you force WI to do some things they don't necessarily want to do.

Also, WI realized we run the same five passing plays and they covered them as though they knew they were coming every time (the Max play the one exception).

I thought Murray was awful; Thompson played really, really hard, but it appeared Myrick was expecting him to be over the top on Erickson's long completion.

Stave was better than good today, and Melvin Gordon is really, really good. No, he didn't break any huge runs, but how many times did he get hit at the line and still ended up with 6+ yards? We sold out to stop him, and Stave made us pay when he had to.

All-in-all, I just hate WI so much, and have to believe there will be a reckoning some day for their ******-baggery.

agree on gordon---and to think they are in the b1g cg for the 3rd fueicking time

Top Bottom