Possible TCF Beer Garden that has U support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
So says KSTP (key part bolded):
You might be able to buy a cold beer at Gopher football games next season.

A bill allowing beer sales passed a House committee Wednesday. It would allow beer in the suite level and to the general public in a beer garden in the stadium.

It's estimated to bring in $1.5 to 2 million to the university each year. The university supports the bill.

The full House could vote in the next few days.

Some corroboration of the U's support from another source would be good. Will see what I can find.

Interesting move. I wonder where the beer garden would be, and I also wonder how many people would ignore their seats and just hang out there instead.

Why is that?

You are watching amateur athletes. If you can't go 4 hours without having alcohol, you have a problem and need treatment. Why should we stop at college games? Should they start selling beer at HS football games too? How about Little League? Piano recitals? Can't sit through Timmy's t-ball game without a brewski in your hand?

A university should not be in the business of selling alcohol to its own students, regardless of whether they are of legal age or not. The purpose of a university is to educate, not inebriate. If available to the suites only, it is true that some University students would undoubtedly be sold alcohol by the University, but they would be a select few and would have paid handsomely for the privilege. Under no circumstances should a university be selling alcohol to its own students when the barrier they had to overcome was a $10 (or less) ticket to a football game.

It is good to be a trailblazer and start a trend in some aspects, but being the first to sell alcohol to the general student population, at a university function, on university property, is not one of them. There are many reasons why not a single Big Ten university sells alcohol to the general student population at university events.

If available to the suites only, it is true that some University students would undoubtedly be sold alcohol by the University, but they would be a select few and would have paid handsomely for the privilege.
Any students in the premium seats are likely there because of their parents or family friends, not because they plunked down any money to earn it.

It is good to be a trailblazer and start a trend in some aspects, but being the first to sell alcohol to the general student population, at a university function, on university property, is not one of them. There are many reasons why not a single Big Ten university sells alcohol to the general student population at university events.
They won't be the first (unless you mean first in the B1G in which case you are of course correct).

My position has always been that the U should be able to decide for itself what it wants to do. If the U is on board then I'm ok with it (even though this still isn't totally them making the decision without interference).

You are watching amateur athletes. If you can't go 4 hours without having alcohol, you have a problem and need treatment. Why should we stop at college games? Should they start selling beer at HS football games too? How about Little League? Piano recitals? Can't sit through Timmy's t-ball game without a brewski in your hand?

Was your dad an alcoholic?

Also, I apologize in advance that this thread will likely devolve. I pondered whether or not to put it up but decided this was a fresh enough piece of info on the issue that it was worth putting out there.

A university should not be in the business of selling alcohol to its own students, regardless of whether they are of legal age or not. The purpose of a university is to educate, not inebriate. If available to the suites only, it is true that some University students would undoubtedly be sold alcohol by the University, but they would be a select few and would have paid handsomely for the privilege. Under no circumstances should a university be selling alcohol to its own students when the barrier they had to overcome was a $10 (or less) ticket to a football game.

I agree with that sentiment. I would only add that a number of non-Big Ten schools do however sell beer on campus.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125271416817105157.html

When I was looking at schools in the 70's I had beers on both the Marquette and (at der Rathskeller) Madison campuses. The drinking age though was 18!

Was your dad an alcoholic?

My dad is still alive. And no, he isn't or wasn't an alcoholic. What's your point? What does that have to do with anything? I can't think that a university selling alcohol to its own students goes against everything a university's mission statement is supposed to be unless my dad was an alcoholic? Was your dad a hit-and-run d*uche with terrible opinions?

I like the idea. Personally I'd hope that it would be in the plaza end of the stadium outside. I doubt they'd put it there however.

I watched part of the Outback Bowl from the plaza at Raymond James and it was pretty cool. I also have fond memories of the beer garden at Dane County. Coliseum.

Q - where might they put it in Williams and Mariucci?

My dad is still alive. And no, he isn't or wasn't an alcoholic. What's your point? What does that have to do with anything? I can't think that a university selling alcohol to its own students goes against everything a university's mission statement is supposed to be unless my dad was an alcoholic? Was your dad a hit-and-run d*uche with terrible opinions?

You care way too much about this. It's obvious you've had some negative experiences with alcohol that you're projecting on the rest of us.

Q - where might they put it in Williams and Mariucci?
The quick summaries of the bill thus far don't discuss The Barn or Mariucci. I wouldn't be surprised if the Legislature's interest stops with this small expansion at TCF. They never cared that only suite holders had access at The Barn or Mariucci before TCF was built.

You care way too much about this. It's obvious you've had some negative experiences with alcohol that you're projecting on the rest of us.
I think what's clear is that you like playing armchair psychiatrist. dpodoll's position is easily understood. He thinks selling beer to students runs counter to the University's mission. You don't have to have bad experiences with alcohol in any form to hold that position.

I agree with you, I don't want beer sold to the public in the stadium. I'm not sure if this has changed or not, but I saw John Fogarty at Northrup many years ago and was stunned to see beer was available for purchase.

being the first to sell alcohol to the general student population, at a university function, on university property, is not one of them.

I think you can still buy alcohol at the Terrace at the Madison student union, but I haven't been there in a few years. Sure there's no university function happening, but the university is still selling alcohol to students.

I think you can still buy alcohol at the Terrace at the Madison student union, but I haven't been there in a few years. Sure there's no university function happening, but the university is still selling alcohol to students.
You still can. And I'm guessing underage drinking there is easy since they only card the person buying the pitcher. I've never seen anyone drinking at the tables hassled about their age.

I think what's clear is that you like playing armchair psychiatrist. dpodoll's position is easily understood. He thinks selling beer to students runs counter to the University's mission. You don't have to have bad experiences with alcohol in any form to hold that position.

Huh? He said people who want beer at the stadium need treatment. He clearly has an issue with drinkers. There's your armchair psychologist.

No, it's not obvious at all, because I don't and have never had issues with alcohol, nor has anyone close to me. Why on Earth would you jump to that ridiculous and terrible conclusion? It's obvious you've had some negative experiences with making sh*t up and you're projecting your terrible sh*t-making-upedness on the rest of us.

I care deeply about the University of Minnesota and what actions it takes, along with the image that it has created and will continue to create for itself in the larger academic community. I am an alumnus and an employee. It upsets me greatly to think that my school would ever send the message that it's ok to sell alcohol to its own students. Madison selling alcohol at its student union is bad enough, but even those alcoholics know that selling alcohol to its own general student population at a sporting event is a terrible idea and one that should never happen.

But yeah, I only care "way too much" because some anonymous idiot on a message board thinks my dad was a drunk. Next I suppose you'll tell me he beat me and called me names too? I will never understand why some f*cking morons think it's ok or appropriate to bring up people's personal lives on a message board as if it has anything to do with anything. It is way, way over the line and is completely unacceptable. You don't have anything to counter the message, so you make sh*t up so as to attempt to defame, disparage, or humiliate the poster rather than deal with the issue itself. If you don't have anything to say about the topic at hand, shut your idiot mouth and don't say anything at all.

They definitely do still sell beer at the Rathskeller, although to be fair the U sells alcohol on the upper levels of Coffman Union (http://www.campusclubumn.org/). That also isn't relevant to selling beer at the stadium, however.

Huh? He said people who want beer at the stadium need treatment. He clearly has an issue with drinkers. There's your armchair psychologist.

You're making sh*t up again. I said that people who can't go 4 hours without alcohol need treatment. That is a fact and is pretty clear to anyone.

If you want to rip me on something, rip me on my equating people who think they absolutely must have beer at college football games to alcoholics.

You're really, really terrible at this.

lol thou doth protest too much.

Thou doth be an assumption-making d*ckhead too much. You don't know me or anything about my personal life at all. But keep thinking you do, nouveau Khaliq. His act got pretty tired after only a few posts, and yours will too if you wish to keep this up.

I think dpodoll68 has just uncovered the next great revenue stream for EP Football.

I said that people who can't go 4 hours without alcohol need treatment. That is a fact and is pretty clear to anyone.

People want to have a beer or two at a football game. It's not that big a deal. You're projecting again.

I agree with doll's take on this. enjoy it outside the stadium. The MAC center atmosphere is great prior to the game. Enjoy some there and then head in. It is so casual outside the stadium now that you can walk Uni with a beer and no one says boo.

They definitely do still sell beer at the Rathskeller, although to be fair the U sells alcohol on the upper levels of Coffman Union (http://www.campusclubumn.org/). That also isn't relevant to selling beer at the stadium, however.

True, but much like the suites at the stadium, there is a significant barrier to entry. You can't just walk in off the street and get a beer from the Campus Club as a student. You must either become a member and pay the $199 annual dues or be a guest of someone who is a member, much in the same way that you would have to either buy a suite, or be a guest of that suite owner, to get your precious booze at the game. (Sorry, GoAupher, I wasn't clear on the latter point in my earlier post.)

Dumb idea.

Just let the U make its own decisions. Get the legislature out of the equation.

If you NEED a beer garden that badly, there are several in stadium village and one across the street at the mac.

If Dr Don can go 3 hours without a beer, anyone can.

People want to have a beer or two at a football game. It's not that big a deal. You're projecting again.
Some people. Some people would like to smoke a pack of Newports during a football game.
I assume that would be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom