Possible TCF Beer Garden that has U support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who writes these stories? This is not news. "Senate green-lights beer sales at U of M football games" was the headline 3 years ago. It seems as though people (meaning the media, not you mggoph) think that beer sales were outlawed at TCF, which is not, and never has been, the case. The news will happen when they actually make a decision on when and how they will sell beer and then implement those policies. And when that day comes, I will die a little inside and know that my University proudly proclaims itself the Redneck U of the Big Ten.

You are an absolute moron and a lot of GopherHolers (especially me) are going to take a huge amount of satisfaction from your disappointment and dissatisfaction with your University over this issue. I can't imagine anybody being a bigger pain in the ass to watch a Gopher football game with than you.

I have looked around the senate site and found the bill, but the voting record isn't up. Any idea who the 4 dissenters would be?

The U of M provision was an amendment which passed on a voice vote. It was amended to the omnibus liquor bill, so those 4 "no" votes were against the entire bill, and they could have been due to any number of reasons.

The fact that it passed on a voice vote indicates that the TCF Bank Stadium beer amendment was not controversial.

There wasn't a single attack on your family there. You continue to prove my point.

You did not attack his family. You don't know his family and he knows that. What you said in your post is a very common response to militant non-drinkers who try to impose their personal beliefs on everyone else.

What you said in your post is a very common response to militant non-drinkers who try to impose their personal beliefs on everyone else.
Making assumptions about people you don't know is a good way for people to think you're a common ________ (fill in the desired level of insult).

What you said in your post is a very common response to militant non-drinkers who try to impose their personal beliefs on everyone else.

Try reading. I've already said in this thread multiple times that I drink, and enjoy doing so. There is a time and a place for almost everything under the sun. If I don't want my 16-year-old niece to have sex, does that mean I'm abstinent? If I don't want my 5-year-old son holding a gun, does that mean I'm anti-1st Amendment?

Also, I'm not trying to impose my personal beliefs on anyone. I happen to think that the University's alcohol policy in TCF for its first 3 years was the right one. Take it or leave it. I frankly don't care whether you "switch over" to my side or not. That doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion and be free to share it.

If I don't want my 16-year-old niece to have sex, does that mean I'm abstinent? If I don't want my 5-year-old son holding a gun, does that mean I'm anti-1st Amendment?

lol you are the king of horsesht analogies.

Are you avoiding my question for a particular reason?

Well, for me to properly answer whether I think you making assumptions are I need to know if you know his family. If you don't, then you're making assumptions about them. So...waiting on you sport.

Well, for me to properly answer whether I think you making assumptions are I need to know if you know his family. If you don't, then you're making assumptions about them. So...waiting on you sport.

Asking a question and making an assumption are very different things.

Although dpo's spastic response told me everything I needed to know. My assumptions about him were correct.

Asking a question and making an assumption are very different things.

Although dpo's spastic response told me everything I needed to know. My assumptions about him were correct.

My apologies. You only made assumptions about dpodoll (see next). I missed the question mark on the alcoholic dad question. I'll just go ahead, follow your lead, and assume you enjoy kicking puppies in your free time.

It's obvious you've had some negative experiences with alcohol that you're projecting on the rest of us.

Get a clue. Turning's response was a criticism of dopydoll and his total and unreasonable opposition to allowing Gopher fans to buy beer at football games unless they sit in the suites. You guys are trying to make it into something more than what it was because that is all you have at this point.

What assumptions? Come right out and say it. Tell me what you think you know and I'll tell you how wrong you are.

Need I remind you that, of course, none of this has anything to do with the subject at hand. Shoot the messenger (and in this case, his family) because you don't like the message.

You're doing a great job of making yourself the victim. Another confirmed assumption of mine.

Get a clue. Turning's response was a criticism of dopydoll and his total and unreasonable opposition to allowing Gopher fans to buy beer at football games unless they sit in the suites. You guys are trying to make it into something more than what it was because that is all you have at this point.

You can oppose someone's unreasonable or reasonable opinions without making baseless assumptions about them. As for "all we have" at this point:
1) You're not paying attention if you're lumping me in with his opinion opposing all GA alcohol sales. I've said, from the beginning (years ago now) and have continued to state that I felt the Legislature overstepped their bounds (further response to your last epic post is coming Dean :)) and that their arguments were baseless, silly, and in many cases felt hollow and pandering in nature. My only point was that I wanted the U to decide for itself what it was going to do. When the U previously decided to ban all alcohol sales I was supportive b/c they were making their own decision. Now that this bill has passed and they support it I have no issues with this plan either. At this point I'm hoping the bother to do it right and serve some Surly for those games when I feel like having one.
2) He's stating an opinion (albeit in an over the top way much of the time). There is nothing else needed. There is no way to win the "serve or don't serve in GA" argument because there is no factually correct position. I'm simply pointing out that making assumptions about people doesn't prove any points. It just suggests that the person making the assumption is incapable of debating a topic without stooping to personal attacks.

You haven't established that it was unreasonable for the U to not allow alcohol to be served anywhere other than the suites. The matter is for the regents to decide, if they decide that beer will be available, then it will be available. But the arguments that the U must allow beer to be sold are deeply flawed.

Senate passed - 58-4. Next - to the House.

I understand the positives of this, but I really hope gopher games do not evolve into having viking-game like atmospheres, which I can't tolerate.

(sorry - late to the party; didn't read through page 15 (16 pages on this?))

You can oppose someone's unreasonable or reasonable opinions without making baseless assumptions about them. I'm simply pointing out that making assumptions about people doesn't prove any points. It just suggests that the person making the assumption is incapable of debating a topic without stooping to personal attacks.

a) My assumptions are hardly 'baseless'.

b) The only one consistently stooping to personal attacks throughout this entire thread is dpo.

It's telling that you decided to call me out for trying to understand and explain someone's irrational behavior while that person went on to spew vitriolic attacks at several people over 16 pages.

a) My assumptions are hardly 'baseless'.

b) The only one consistently stooping to personal attacks throughout this entire thread is dpo.

It's telling that you decided to call me out for trying to understand and explain someone's irrational behavior while that person went on to spew vitriolic attacks at several people over 16 pages.

I think you just rubbed me the wrong way by making your first post on this topic a question about whether his dad was an alcoholic. To me, that smacks of someone looking to pick a fight and it probably made me take a harsh eye to everything else you've put up since that point.

As for dpodoll, I'd note that I called him out several times as well (though you're right, I don't think I've done so for "vitriolic attacks", to which I'm probably immune at this point).

And I'm sorry, unless you know him or his family then any assumptions are baseless. You might think they are on point based on personal experience, the experience of a friend, whatever, but in the end you have no way of knowing how accurate or factual they are when it comes to him or anyone else. Thus, baseless. The same would be true of any assumptions he levels at you (though he sticks mostly to insults, hyperbole, and insinuations over assumptions).

Time to let go

How do you feel about a university selling mass quantities of beer to its own students?

Give it up! We get it, you don't like it. Just the way you have worded your question I doubt Mona and anybody else is going to take your question seriously. But if it makes you feel righteous to continue to ask the question, be my guest.

Give it up! We get it, you don't like it. Just the way you have worded your question I doubt Mona and anybody else is going to take your question seriously. But if it makes you feel righteous to continue to ask the question, be my guest.

Again, why is my question the only one critiqued in the thread while others are ignored? Again, this is a thread where you posts questions you would like Dave Mona to ask of Jerry Kill. I would like Dave Mona to ask Jerry Kill this question. Is there another thread where I should post a question that I would like Dave Mona to ask of Jerry Kill? If so, please direct me to where that thread is.

Despite what you may think of it, it is a serious question and deserves a serious answer. If you don't like the question, perhaps offer an alternative way of asking it rather than bitching about the way I do.

Again, why is my question the only one critiqued in the thread while others are ignored? Again, this is a thread where you posts questions you would like Dave Mona to ask of Jerry Kill. I would like Dave Mona to ask Jerry Kill this question. Is there another thread where I should post a question that I would like Dave Mona to ask of Jerry Kill? If so, please direct me to where that thread is.

Despite what you may think of it, it is a serious question and deserves a serious answer. If you don't like the question, perhaps offer an alternative way of asking it rather than bitching about the way I do.

I'll answer for him:

"I don't mind at all. Everybody should be having a good time, and so as long as we make an effort to see that nobody is endangering themselves or others or breaking the law, I'm all for it. Also, that extra couple million dollars a year sure would be nice to have in the budget."

I'll answer for him:

"I don't mind at all. Everybody should be having a good time, and so as long as we make an effort to see that nobody is endangering themselves or others or breaking the law, I'm all for it. Also, that extra couple million dollars a year sure would be nice to have in the budget."

That's awesome, but I'd rather hear his answer than your guess as to what his answer would be. Thanks, though.

Further, the problem with your hypothetical answer is that it would still be true if the U were allowed to run its own affairs and serve beer exclusively in the suites like it wants to. This would also eliminate the problem of a university being an enabler of the intoxication of large numbers of its own students.

I am little surprised that you don't seem to understand that the anger you are expressing makes it appear less like a question and more like proselytizing. I wouldn’t even attempt to write the question for you since it appears to me that you are not really asking a question but stating a belief and a conclusion. I am also personally not interested in having a discussion on this so I won’t be responding anymore to questions or comments from you on this topic.

I am little surprised that you don't seem to understand that the anger you are expressing makes it appear less like a question and more like proselytizing. I wouldn’t even attempt to write the question for you since it appears to me that you are not really asking a question but stating a belief and a conclusion. I am also personally not interested in having a discussion on this so I won’t be responding anymore questions are comments from you related to this.

Yes, I am angry that my University is whoring itself out to the bottom line. I am also angry that my desire to have this question asked of Jerry Kill gets dissected each time I raise it in a thread intended for exactly that purpose.

That's awesome, but I'd rather hear his answer than your guess as to what his answer would be. Thanks, though.

Further, the problem with your hypothetical answer is that it would still be true if the U were allowed to run its own affairs and serve beer exclusively in the suites like it wants to. This would also eliminate the problem of a university being an enabler of the intoxication of large numbers of its own students.

Good point and considering the immense play this issue has gotten over the last three years, it's a reasonable question. I would suggest though, dropping the "mass quantities" from the question.

It's a little pejorative wouldn't you say?

Good point and considering the immense play this issue has gotten over the last three years, it's a reasonable question. I would suggest though, dropping the "mass quantities" from the question.

It's a little pejorative wouldn't you say?

But it's crucial to the whole crux of the question. People in college (especially those attending at the "traditional" ages) tend to binge drink. This is no surprise to anyone. People at football games where alcohol is available tend to binge drink. (For evidence, see every Vikings game ever.) You're putting two terrible subsets of alcohol abuse over top of each other and making them into a Venn diagram that's practically just a Venn circle. College students are going to binge drink regardless, but I'd rather that my University not be the enabler and tacit supporter of that behavior.

And, on the same topic but a slightly different tangent, I'll never understand why a university football program that has acknowledged its own difficulties in engaging its fan base (and thus negated its own ability to build a homefield advantage) would willingly and purposely erect something that will draw fans away from their seats and away from interest in the action going on out on the playing surface. All in the name of (by the University's own admission) making "a few extra dollars".

How do you feel about a university selling mass quantities of beer to its own students?

Anyone that reads Gopher Hole more than once a month knows your stance on this subject, as you have stated it about 500 times. You've already managed to have one thread closed. Give it up.

If you so desperately need to have this question asked, call or text the show yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom